Suggestions for a Duke Nukem Patch

Jason G Fourier

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action: 31-Jan-96 Re:
Suggestions for a Duke .. by Timothy P. Kel...@ix.net
> On 31 Jan 1996 00:51:40 GMT, jy...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (John Yan)
> wrote:
>

> >Hi,
> >
> >I think Duke Nukem is a great game, lots of good efftcs such
> >as footprints through the blood and nice little "stretch" when a guy
> >dies under a door.
> >We played a 2 player mutliplayer for about 3 hours and it's a very good
> >game, much more atmosphere than doom. (NOw doom lovers I love the game too
> >but just because it ain't made by id doesn't mean it's not good and can
> >improve on the original)
> >
> >ANYWAYS,
> >here's some things I would like to see added to a patch BESIDES bug fixes
> >
> >1) RPG Blast radius-
> > Needs to be a lot bigger. It just doesn't seem to be a rocket blast.
> >
> >2) Blast affect
> > Is it me or does a rocket blast or a full shotgun blast just
doesn't have
> >that much of an affect on a character? I mean like the guy should be BOUNCED
> >around if he was hit with a rocket and survived or a shotgun up close
> >should send the guy back a little.
> >

> >just two for now, people can add to this thread..
>
> Ok. I will.
>
> 3. Make the machine gun rounds more destructive. Currently, they do about
> the same or less damage than a pistol, but it doesn't use the same ammo.

Alright, here's my 2 cents:

1) Please add a "Look on" control option to the control setup system.
For example, I'd like to assign my middle mouse button to the "Look on"
function. Then I could hold down the middle button and move the mouse
up and down to change my viewing angle. Without this function, my
efforts to change my view from the keyboard are clumsy at best.

2) Likewise, add an "Aim on" control option that functions similarly as
a replacement for the "Aim up" and "Aim down" keys.

Overall, DN3D is an awesome production! I'm very impressed by the
attention to detail. I can't wait to play in network mode....
muahahahaha!

--
Jason Fourier
a.k.a. Decim8r

John Yan

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

[...]

Oh yeah.. am I the only one that think this game utilizes the best graphics
and sound for a pistol weapn? I love pulling rounds with that thing
and reloading on the run. THe shells fling just gets me pumping and
that reload sounds great...

Anyways, kudos to 3dRealms and Apogee for a great game.

John
(ach, someone that doesn't say a thing about Quake) :)

Timothy P. Kelley

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think Duke Nukem is a great game, lots of good efftcs such
>as footprints through the blood and nice little "stretch" when a guy
>dies under a door.
>We played a 2 player mutliplayer for about 3 hours and it's a very good
>game, much more atmosphere than doom. (NOw doom lovers I love the game too
>but just because it ain't made by id doesn't mean it's not good and can
>improve on the original)
>
>ANYWAYS,
>here's some things I would like to see added to a patch BESIDES bug fixes
>
>1) RPG Blast radius-
> Needs to be a lot bigger. It just doesn't seem to be a rocket blast.
>
>2) Blast affect
> Is it me or does a rocket blast or a full shotgun blast just doesn't have
>that much of an affect on a character? I mean like the guy should be BOUNCED
>around if he was hit with a rocket and survived or a shotgun up close
>should send the guy back a little.
>

>just two for now, people can add to this thread..

Ok. I will.

3. Make the machine gun rounds more destructive. Currently, they do about
the same or less damage than a pistol, but it doesn't use the same ammo.

=====================================

Tim Kelley
tke...@ix.netcom.com

S.P. Harvey

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
jy...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (John Yan) wrote:

>just two for now, people can add to this thread..

Okay, how about letting the mouse be used for looking sideways and
up/down like Terminator:Future Shock? For me, right hand on my
trackball and fire buttons and left hand on my favorite movement keys
(WSQE) is very intuitive and one of the reasons I love T:FS.

Also, how about a map mode that only shows the current "level" of the
map like Dark Forces (i.e. no overlapping lines)?

>Oh yeah.. am I the only one that think this game utilizes the best graphics
>and sound for a pistol weapn? I love pulling rounds with that thing
>and reloading on the run. THe shells fling just gets me pumping and
>that reload sounds great...

Yeah, that blew me away when I saw Duke slap in a new clip. Very,
very awesome and a testosterone boost as well! The pistol looks like
a big bad .45 caliber and sounds very good, not too tinny and not too
thundering.

Scott

John Mooney

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

For everyone who was complaining about how some weapons should do
a bit more damage... you can 'patch' that yourself. There is a text file
called 'user.con' and in that file are a bunch of things that you can
change, one of them being weapon damage. Just bring up the file, scroll
down till you see the part that says something like...

PISTOL_DAMAGE = 6;

...and change the 6 to something a bit more fitting. Just for
kicks I made the pistol do 240 damage(about the same as a direct hit from
an RPG), that was kinda fun. :)

Just make sure you back up the file you are playing with before
you edit it. As long as you stick to only changing obvious things you
shouldn't mess things up I guess.

One nice thing to change is the amount of ammo you get when you
pick an ammo pack up, making the pistol clips worth 24 intead of 12 makes
ammo much less of a problem(but maybe I'm just a lousy show :) ).

DOYAMA JASON

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
In article <4en0hv$n...@ns2.ptd.net>,

John Mooney <jmo...@postoffice.ptd.net> wrote:

> For everyone who was complaining about how some weapons should do
>a bit more damage... you can 'patch' that yourself. There is a text file
>called 'user.con' and in that file are a bunch of things that you can
>change, one of them being weapon damage. Just bring up the file, scroll
>down till you see the part that says something like...
>
> PISTOL_DAMAGE = 6;
>
> ...and change the 6 to something a bit more fitting. Just for
>kicks I made the pistol do 240 damage(about the same as a direct hit from
>an RPG), that was kinda fun. :)

Would be funny if in a modem game you could do that eh.

> Just make sure you back up the file you are playing with before
>you edit it. As long as you stick to only changing obvious things you
>shouldn't mess things up I guess.

Yeah I tried to screw around withe the USER.CON file, then the
damn game wouldn't work. Scary thing is it look TOO MUCH like C :>
Anyways it looks to me that it 'compiles' this USER.CON file each time
you play the game. Cuz you see the familiar '0 errors' stuff. I think
this is a pretty cool concept.

> One nice thing to change is the amount of ammo you get when you
>pick an ammo pack up, making the pistol clips worth 24 intead of 12 makes
>ammo much less of a problem(but maybe I'm just a lousy show :) ).

I go through ammo like madness. Reminds me of this cool Chinese
movie I saw called "Killer" He always had to put 10 rounds in everyone
he killed 'just to be sure' :> Awesome movie.

Jason Doyama
--
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride, when you've already paid

LDeneault

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
I would also add to the patch the ability to load a saved game without
getting a runtime error.

Lawrence Deneault

Editor, Graphic Novels
Marlowe & Company

Ell kabong

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
I'd like to see more areas with more monsters and power-ups. There is
rarely more than 3 or 4 baddies at a time, and duke gets whiped too easily
- no intense fire-fights. It's more fun when you can take a real beating
and survive.

* Kiss my ass Babalooie!! *
* **************************** *

Richard Cullen

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
>>2) Blast affect
>> Is it me or does a rocket blast or a full shotgun blast just doesn't have
>>that much of an affect on a character? I mean like the guy should be BOUNCED
>>around if he was hit with a rocket and survived or a shotgun up close
>>should send the guy back a little.
> Hmm, I've noticed guys (and myself) get thrown back by shotgun and blast
>but often it doesnt happen (too heavy?)

In the last Inspector Morse episode, only recently shown on British TV,
someone was shot at close range with a shotgun. Morse was talking to the forensic
scientist and commented that the victim 'could have been spun round by the force
of the blast'.

The scientist replied that people only spin round and get thrown about in
Holywood. In real life, people just drop to the ground.

So there you go. DN3D is realistic :)

Richard
Richard C A Cullen | Postgraduate Student
EMail : I...@SIRIUS.TN.RL.AC.UK | Imperial College,
at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory | Dept of Electrical Engineering,
____________________________________|__________________________________

David Huang

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Well, they should fix the joystick problem first. It is almost impossible
to play with the joystick because it swing too wide and it doesn't register
the turning until the you move it quite a bit toward the end and when it
does, it swing too wide. They should really make the turning increment more
evenly through out the whole range. I have a friend that was so pissed at
this game because he can not play it with his phoenix. It didn't take too
long before we realize the running is also depended on the position of
joystick.

Theodore A. Waniuk

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
>jy...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (John Yan) wrote:
> Okay, how about letting the mouse be used for looking sideways and
>up/down like Terminator:Future Shock? For me, right hand on my
>trackball and fire buttons and left hand on my favorite movement keys
>(WSQE) is very intuitive and one of the reasons I love T:FS.

Yesss! I really hope they fix this. 3D games that allow the player to look up
and down, jump, and crouch should have better support for configuring the
joystick and mouse axes. I really like T:FS and Dark Forces for this reason.
With the MS Sidewinder Pro, I practically never had to touch the keyboard in
Dark Forces. In Duke3d, I feel like I have every finger on some key, and the
game loses that free, intuitive feeling present in games like T:FS.

Bruce Geerdes

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Richard Cullen (r.cu...@rl.ac.uk) wrote:
>In the last Inspector Morse episode, only recently shown on British TV,
>[...]

>The scientist replied that people only spin round and get thrown about in
>Holywood. In real life, people just drop to the ground.

>So there you go. DN3D is realistic :)

So you're saying that if a TV show is shot in Britain, as opposed to
Hollywood, it's accurate? :)
--
bgee...@igs.com (Bruce Geerdes)

Emilio Galasso

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <4emees$1...@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
jy...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu says...

>1) RPG Blast radius-
> Needs to be a lot bigger. It just doesn't seem to be a rocket blast.

This seems to be somewhat of a popular request. Personally, I hope they don't
adjust it. I find the rocket powerful enough. If the rocket had an even
better radius, that's all people will be using in multi-player games. I
always thought it sucked when playing Doom against players that ONLY used
plasma or ONLY used rockets. Increase the rocket blast radius and there
would be no point in using anything but... you'll manage to score some
pretty easy kills. Plus, I find that my friends and I all do fairly well
as it is... is it a matter of aim perhaps? Killing someone from proximity
damage has to be one of the cheapest kills possible... it would be too easy to
score a kill by simply spraying a room full of rockets. You may not even get
close to hitting your opponent yet he'll die from all the proximity
damage. The pipe bombs are kind of an exception since they can't be fired
as sporatically or as fast as rockets, nor do they have the distance.

--
Emilio Galasso
University of Toronto: Computer Science

Chad Fairchild

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96

Everyone Seems to have some great ideas but I have only one EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
idea (I think). You need to be able to detonate the pipe bombs while you're
looking into a monitor!!!!!

Dave Glue

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
On 1 Feb 1996 19:58:38 GMT, eg...@msi.net (Emilio Galasso) wrote:

>>1) RPG Blast radius-
>> Needs to be a lot bigger. It just doesn't seem to be a rocket blast.
>
>This seems to be somewhat of a popular request. Personally, I hope they don't
>adjust it. I find the rocket powerful enough. If the rocket had an even
>better radius, that's all people will be using in multi-player games.

I agree. I had no problem with the RPG's blast radius or power at
all.

Jim Sterling

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96

>just two for now, people can add to this thread..

How about the ability to shoot out the remote cameras? That way you go blind in
DukeMatch!!

Jim
Jim Sterling <ji...@alaska.net> **NEW**<aks...@akcache.com>**NEW**
Alaska Image Scanning
http://www.alaska.net/~jims/jims.html
_|_
---{*}---
"check six!"
at
http://www.alaska.net/~jims/aviation/aviation.html
jims.alaska.net {*part-time* FTP server}