WIPEOUT IS HERE!

Jeremy Pedersen

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Looks exactly as the Playstation version. The graphics are fast,
furious and fantastic on a p90 with 8 megs of ram! The music
(redbook) is hands down, supurb! Gameplay is also damn good. Finally
we get a playstation game for the pc (besides...novastorm, destruction
derby, 3dlemmings,drazy ivan, assault rigs, espn extremegames....)
Psygnosis did a fine job of this playstation port. I found it at Fred
Meyers for $46.99 and it was well worth it. I don't know if there is
a demo out for it, but the game is a futuristic racing game. You
drive these anti gravity racers (they look cool) around mind-blowing
tracks , over canyons, through tunels,up and down twisting hills.
There are also weapons you can pick up off the track. I cannot
express just how well this game is, as far as racing games go, I'd say
it blows the doors off of Screamer and Need For Speed (I have both and
like them also). This game is definatley worth buying. I will be
writing a Wipeout Faq soon, so stay tuned, same bat group, same bat
internet.

jere...@ix.netcom.com

Bagpuss

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96
Jeremy Pedersen (Jere...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: Looks exactly as the Playstation version. The graphics are fast,

: jere...@ix.netcom.com

I'd have to disagree with these comments. I bought Wipeout in the UK
about 1 month ago and thought that it didn't come close to the
Playstation version. I proved this at Xmas when my brother brought his
Playstation home and I played both. The PC's Antigrav racers don't
handle anything like the PSX so playing the game can be really irritating.

Anybody else got any thoughts? Oh yeah, and the network options have
been left out so you have to pay for an upgrade!

Bagpuss

Jeremy Pedersen

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
On Sun, 14 Jan 1996 02:13:50, Ske...@buffnet.net (Skeksis) wrote:

> [...]

>sound when I hit something and another equally absurd sound when I activate
>some field or other. By the time I found that little effect I was so
>disinterested in the game that I didn't bother to read the manual to find out
>what I had done. The music would be nice if you could have music and sound at
>the same time but for some odd reason you can't. I guess the folks at
>Psygnosis haven't figured out how to have two independant sound sources, maybe
>they should talk to a few companies like Origin and Activision.
>
>As for graphics, well sure seems to me to be a giant step *backward*. Why the
>heck are these graphics so damn muddy looking? I can almost buy the argument
>that this was done to preserve frame rate but when even the *static* screens
>have this same blurred effect I have to wonder who was kidding who. Maybe a
>few too many of those 8 martini business man's lunches on the day of the
>rollout. It could be a case of the same dodge I read once where a game
>company said that they deliberately preserved the cruddy video feel so that
>the owners of the program on another platform wouldn't be jelouse. Geez, if
>the graphics in Wipeout are typical of the Sony Playstation I cannot image why
>anyone would want to bother with the system at all.
>
>And what a surprise...only six tracks! Gee, what other, better done
>futuristic racing game had only 6 tracks? Couldn't be Hi-Octane could it?
>the game that WipeOut so desperately wants to be but comes nowhere close to
>being? Nah...just a coincidence. Gee, Mr. Skeptic (I hear you say), it
>auto-runs in Win95, that's something that Hi-Octane can't do. That is
>something that WipeOut apparently can't do either because it never made the
>attempt on my system...not once. And trying to get it to run in 95 took a
>little trial and error to find the right icon to get it to run. But
>wait...what about the resolution screens you say...gee...an option to
>*shrink* the screen without improving it. What will they think of next, black
>and white TV??? I am glad of one thing...I bought this from a store that
>accepts returns, if I hadn't I would be very disappointed indeed. As it is I
>am only annoyed over the gas I wasted buying and returning this absolute
>stinker.
>
>One final question to those who are trying to play this game...what the heck
>to you have up and down controls for? I never needed them, not once, except
>the times I was trying to jump the oh so scary bridge obstacles. Ho
>hum...really put the fear of god in me I tell ya, just thinking about my poor
>little whatzitmobile gliding to it's doom over a precipice only to be caught
>by the ever present UFOs of Racing Benevolence (must have been a slow day at
>the Hi-Octane tracks to they drifted over to Wipeout to lend a claw). Wipeout
>is such an amazing example of what not to do in a game that banging my head
>into an anvil...at high speed....repeatedly...for no good reason...seems like

there are 15 tracks for the pc version of wipeout., if you can't here
the seperate sounds, then you must not have a good soundcard, the
music is redbook, and the sound effects are wave table, that means
there are two seperate sound sources, yes the playstation version is
better, no the graphics do not look muddy, unless you have a 1 meg vid
card. If you only though there where 6 tracks, you must not really
have the game... did you pirate a copy?

Skeksis

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96

Skeksis

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <30f99076...@IXNEWS4.IX.NETCOM.COM> Jere...@ix.netcom.com (Jeremy Pedersen) writes:

>there are 15 tracks for the pc version of wipeout., if you can't here
>the seperate sounds, then you must not have a good soundcard,

I use a AWE32 with the CD rom hooked to the sound card and there still are
only two pretty sad sounds.

>better, no the graphics do not look muddy, unless you have a 1 meg vid

Sorry, 2 megs and the graphics still look muddy/blurry

>card. If you only though there where 6 tracks, you must not really

I can still only find 6 tracks

>have the game... did you pirate a copy?

Fortuantely I saved the receipt from Electonics Boutique so I can take it back.

Skeksis

B Morphin

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Wipeout is better on the PSX. But Hi-O is better on both platforms than
Wipeout IMO.

PSX Hi-O has 9 tracks and deathmatch ta boot.

BH

Hunter Rose

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
q...@ix.netcom.com(B Morphin ) wrote:

It takes all kinds. Played both Hi-O and Wipeout on the PSX and I
like Wipeout *much* better. It's the only game I've ever played that
really gave me a sense of speed and control.

Wipeout on my 486 dx2 w/8meg was pretty disappointing after the PSX
version. It might be better on a P120 (which I'll have soon!
yeehaw!). But come time when the second gen. 3D boards are out,
games like Wipeout will be toast.

BTW There's a hidden seventh track on PSX Wipeout.

Hunter Rose

"Et cetera is my worst enemy." - Faith No More