What and where is the BEST hp48 chess program?

瀏覽次數:22 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Chris Gotwalt

未讀,
1997年3月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/4
收件者:

What is the best hp48 chess program?

-Chris

c...@atlantic.net

Navin Maharaj!

未讀,
1997年3月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/4
收件者:

i have an equation library program, that stores equation but i display
them using DISP i would like to display them the way they look on paper
like the VIEW function, but i'm not sure how to call it from the
programming environment. What USRPRL or SYSRPL command do i use to
display something like
'X^2-4/X' like VIEW.

thanks in advance!

-Navin

-----------------
HP48 is the master of all things good
ti-85 is just plain EVIL! :P

Nathanael J Morriss

未讀,
1997年3月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/4
收件者:

>i have an equation library program, that stores equation but i display
>them using DISP i would like to display them the way they look on paper
>like the VIEW function, but i'm not sure how to call it from the
>programming environment. What USRPRL or SYSRPL command do i use to
>display something like
>'X^2-4/X' like VIEW.

Navin:

You can do this in USRRPL via 'x^2-4/x' 0 ->GROB This leaves a grob on
the stack similar to the view command.

In SRPL you can use the command Symb>HBuff (#659DEh SYSEVAL) which
displays the symbolic on the stack grob.

Another option is using ABUFF by Fiechter and Mika which is on the EQSTK
library and on JAVA 2.9a. ABUFF takes far less time, handles matrices,
handles vectors, and allows for using different sized fonts plus many
other improvements.

NATE

Nathanael J. Morriss <me...@uiuc.edu> http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~mel-1/
pgp via finger: me...@students.uiuc.edu

francisco guzman

未讀,
1997年3月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/4
收件者:Chris Gotwalt

--------------1A9F6B317E7B

it's chess1.0 it's at: http://www.worldnet.net/~fzibi/hp48fr.htm
--
francisco guzman
fgu...@cyberg8t.com

--------------1A9F6B317E7B

<encoded_portion_removed>

Author: Franck ZIBI (fz...@worldnet.net)
Chess game with multiple features, including:
- Human/Human, Human/HP48, HP48/HP48 games
- Board setup, save, load, review
- Opening tables
- HpChess to Algebraic notation converter
- several levels of playing (including blitz...)
Notes: Only for the HP48GX (it will not fit in a HP48G)
Don't use this lib in port 2 (port 0 or 1 only)

--------------1A9F6B317E7B

<encoded_portion_removed>
xMTExMTExMTExMTExMTExMTExMQNCg0K
--------------1A9F6B317E7B

<encoded_portion_removed>
xMTExMTExMTExMTExMTExMTExMTExMTExMTEDQoNCg==
--------------1A9F6B317E7B--

Dan Kirkland

未讀,
1997年3月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/4
收件者:

In article <331CCC...@grove.ufl.edu>,
Chris Gotwalt <got...@grove.ufl.edu> writes:

>What is the best hp48 chess program?

Right now it is either mlchess or HpChess.

ftp hpcvbbs.external.hp.com /dist/hp48g/games/board/... (???)

HpChess is quite large (>45K). It as a fairly large
opening book (about 17K ?).

mlchess is much smaller (<10K). It has no opening book,
but an opening book not really help much on the HP48.

(A good opening book would be VERY large! And with the
fairly wimpy HP48 chess programs, it is easy to take the
programs out of the book and the program can't take advantage
because of it.)

These two programs are okay for lessor chess players. But
they are quite slow at the higher levels.

I think the current versions are mlchess v1.07 and HpChess
v1.0. The mlchess author claimed to be working on a better
all assembly for version 1.08. That was a few months back,
haven't heard anything after that.

I have been working (off and on, more off than on) on a chess
program for the HP48 also. It is not going very fast. I guess
I have been trying to hard to make my program perfect (there is
no such thing in chess programs). Maybe I'll have to make the
first version of my program quite a bit short of perfect! :)
Otherwise, there will likely never be a first version!

Anyway, until I get my chess program ready, mlchess and HpChess
are the best there is!

But...

Mine WILL be better! :)

dan

Joe Horn

未讀,
1997年3月4日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/4
收件者:Navin Maharaj!

Navin Maharaj! wrote:

> i have an equation library program, that stores equation but i display
> them using DISP i would like to display them the way they look on paper
> like the VIEW function, but i'm not sure how to call it from the
> programming environment. What USRPRL or SYSRPL command do i use to
> display something like
> 'X^2-4/X' like VIEW.

The tough part (turning the algebraic into an Equation-Writer-style
graphic object) is done by 0 ->GROB. You can then view this grob
with PICT STO { } PVIEW, or any other grob-viewing technique.

Unfortunately, 0 ->GROB can be dreadfully slow on large algebraic
objects. So I recommend the EQSTK library, which contains two
really cool commands: AGROB, which works like 0 ->GROB except
you can specify different sizes for the font; and ASTK, which
turns the whole stack into a very powerful algebraic viewer.
It's available at <http://www.hut.fi/~mheiskan/Own/eqstk.zip>.
You'll be amazed at how fast it is. I use it every day.

-Joe-

<META NAME="Joseph K. Horn" CONTENT="mostly baloney">
<mailto:joe...@mail.liberty.com>
<http://www.liberty.com/home/joehorn>
MS Windows: The World's Largest Virus

Mario Mikocevic

未讀,
1997年3月5日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/5
收件者:

Dan Kirkland (kirk...@ee.utah.edu) wrote:

: Mine WILL be better! :)

*sigh*

Remembering the good old days ! ;)

'yawm spwits' and alike ...

: dan

p.s.
Play Willy ! ;)

--
mozgy

Roger Blake

未讀,
1997年3月5日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/5
收件者:

Dan Kirkland wrote:

> >What is the best hp48 chess program?
>
> Right now it is either mlchess or HpChess.
>
> ftp hpcvbbs.external.hp.com /dist/hp48g/games/board/... (???)
>
> HpChess is quite large (>45K). It as a fairly large
> opening book (about 17K ?).
>
> mlchess is much smaller (<10K). It has no opening book,
> but an opening book not really help much on the HP48.
>
> These two programs are okay for lessor chess players. But
> they are quite slow at the higher levels.
>

> Anyway, until I get my chess program ready, mlchess and HpChess

> are the best there is!
>

> Mine WILL be better! :)

Until I saw Hpchess I thought Chess beyond the 48. I agree both
programs are weak but Hpchess seemed quite a bit stronger. I will give
mlchess a second look. I like the way Hpchess works. You can press the
square you want to go and the piece you want to move in either order.
Moves back takes you back two plies and that is good.

One thing it lacks is a move list. Just telling you its last move
would be enough in a program that takes a long time to move.

I would like to see a checkers (draughts) game of the HP48. I think it
would require less proccessing power and be suited than chess to the HP
48.

Dan Kirkland

未讀,
1997年3月7日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/7
收件者:

In article <5fji2v$9...@bagan.srce.hr>,
mo...@betty.zems.fer.hr (Mario Mikocevic) writes:

>Dan Kirkland (kirk...@ee.utah.edu) wrote:
>
>: Mine WILL be better! :)
>
>*sigh*
>
>Remembering the good old days ! ;)
>
>'yawm spwits' and alike ...

Uh, that was 'dwam spwits'... :)

>: dan
>
>p.s.
> Play Willy ! ;)

Yes! Everybody should play Willy!

>--
>mozgy

Hey Mozz! Where you been? :)
Come visit more often!!!

dan

Mario Mikocevic

未讀,
1997年3月12日 凌晨3:00:001997/3/12
收件者:

Dan Kirkland (kirk...@ee.utah.edu) wrote:
: In article <5fji2v$9...@bagan.srce.hr>,
: mo...@betty.zems.fer.hr (Mario Mikocevic) writes:

: >Dan Kirkland (kirk...@ee.utah.edu) wrote:
: >
: >: Mine WILL be better! :)
: >
: >*sigh*
: >
: >Remembering the good old days ! ;)
: >
: >'yawm spwits' and alike ...

: Uh, that was 'dwam spwits'... :)

Oh, okie, I'll write this down now ! ;)

: >: dan
: >
: >p.s.
: > Play Willy ! ;)

: Yes! Everybody should play Willy!

And send me some postcard ! :)

: >--
: >mozgy

: Hey Mozz! Where you been? :)

Well, trying to survive ... Life has been very harsh on me ...

: Come visit more often!!!

I'll try to but can't make any glorious promises !

: dan

--
mozgy

Ezequiel Pitton

未讀,
1997年6月15日 凌晨3:00:001997/6/15
收件者:

kirk...@ee.utah.edu (Dan Kirkland) wrote:

>In article <331CCC...@grove.ufl.edu>,
> Chris Gotwalt <got...@grove.ufl.edu> writes:

>>What is the best hp48 chess program?

>Right now it is either mlchess or HpChess.

>ftp hpcvbbs.external.hp.com /dist/hp48g/games/board/... (???)

>HpChess is quite large (>45K). It as a fairly large
>opening book (about 17K ?).

>mlchess is much smaller (<10K). It has no opening book,
>but an opening book not really help much on the HP48.

[...]

>I have been working (off and on, more off than on) on a chess
>program for the HP48 also. It is not going very fast. I guess
>I have been trying to hard to make my program perfect (there is
>no such thing in chess programs). Maybe I'll have to make the
>first version of my program quite a bit short of perfect! :)
>Otherwise, there will likely never be a first version!

>Anyway, until I get my chess program ready, mlchess and HpChess

>are the best there is!

>But...

>Mine WILL be better! :)

>dan

dan: despite of my really bad play, i find both mlchess and HpChess
too easy to win. Sure your prog will be better... but it needs to be
a lot better to play in a decent way... i dont need Fritz4, just a
little harder oponent!

E. Pitton
FIB ...waiting for dan's impossible_to_win chess program...

John Michael Sauder

未讀,
1997年6月20日 凌晨3:00:001997/6/20
收件者:

In article <5o0hbn$s38$1...@talia.mad.ibernet.es> opi...@caminos.recol.es (Ezequiel Pitton) writes:
>kirk...@ee.utah.edu (Dan Kirkland) wrote:
>
>>In article <331CCC...@grove.ufl.edu>,
>> Chris Gotwalt <got...@grove.ufl.edu> writes:
>
>>>What is the best hp48 chess program?
>
>>Right now it is either mlchess or HpChess.
>
>>HpChess is quite large (>45K). It as a fairly large
>>opening book (about 17K ?).
>
>>mlchess is much smaller (<10K). It has no opening book,
>>but an opening book not really help much on the HP48.

Actually, I would argue that an opening book is absolutely
essential on any computer, especially on something as slow as the HP48.
I think HpChess is significantly better than MLChess -- it has a nicer
interface, many more options (save/load games, setup board, etc), a
larger opening book, and I think it's level of play is better (at least
at skill level 2).
Perhaps you could include some higher skill levels that would
take an unbearably long time to think on an HP48GX but would become much
faster and more competitive when running on an HP48 emulator.

>>Mine WILL be better! :)
>>dan
>

>E. Pitton
>FIB ...waiting for dan's impossible_to_win chess program...

We eagerly await the next generation of Chess program(s)
for the HP48GX! Although I don't have any RAM cards, how about also
making an optional library of opening moves that could be loaded into
port 1 or 2? I won't even suggest a library of endgame tablebases --
these programs usually lose before there are only a few pieces left
on the board.

Roger Blake

未讀,
1997年6月26日 凌晨3:00:001997/6/26
收件者:John Michael Sauder

John Michael Sauder wrote:

> >>but an opening book not really help much on the HP48.

> Actually, I would argue that an opening book is absolutely
> essential on any computer, especially on something as slow as the HP48.
> I think HpChess is significantly better than MLChess -- it has a nicer
> interface, many more options (save/load games, setup board, etc), a
> larger opening book, and I think it's level of play is better (at least
> at skill level 2).

It may be that good Chess is beyond the HP48. Neither program plays
strong. HpChess does have a great interface.

I would like to see an HP48 checker game. May be it would be more in
the calcs capability. I have no idea how to write one though.

0 則新訊息