Zipcode Problem Solved

Ben Dewberry

Dec 12, 1993, 4:53:02 AM12/12/93
G'day Peter,
I don't recall your previos post on this subject, is the prog.
PP> I posted a few weeks back about problems
PP> with ZipCode on my C128/1571
PP> setup. Most people seemed to suggest the
PP> 1571 was the problem, so I
PP> got hold of a 1541 to use it with and it all now works OK. A few
you're talking about the one that need four files prefixed with a
number and exclamation mark thus 1!. I've unreliable results from this
prog. too. I've got a 128D and and external 1571, I've found that the
disk that I'm copying from has to be a 41 formatted disk or the prog.
doesn't like the track and sector numbers and won't unzip the files.
Even using a 71 formatted disk with just the four files causes an
error.
PP> people also suggested switching the 1571 to 1541 mode, but I can't
PP> find the manual for it yet (I thought it
PP> was in 1541 mode automatically
PP> when booting the C128 in C64 mode?).
You are refering to holding the C= key when turning on of course.
Your'e right if thats what you mean but there is also a command you
can send to lock it to 41 mode "U0>M0"
It could be that your drive has an older rom that's got probs. the
later versions fixed. If you decide to update the rom, get a Jiffy dos
rom. Its got the updated rom as well as JD. If you get a Ramlink then
you're set. I did it that way with my two drives but I've just got an
FD4000 so I had to get the Kernal rom as well. Its much easier to have
the dos commands there when you turn on that having to load them in
later.
Ben,

... Argue with idiots, they drag you to their level & win with experience.
___ QWKRR128 V3.5 [R]
* Origin: Network BBS - Melbourne Australia +61-3-803-6498 (3:633/272)