connect SM124 on PC?

mar...@proceryon.at

Feb 16, 2001, 4:29:04 PM2/16/01
Hello everybody,

does someone of you know if it is possible to connect the SM124 monitor
to a VGA port of a PC?

Thanx in advance for your infos,
Markus

Peter Schneider

Feb 17, 2001, 12:41:00 PM2/17/01
Hi Markus,

M>does someone of you know if it is possible to connect the SM124 monitor
M>to a VGA port of a PC?
I'm pretty sure you can't do so.

Und TTschö
ps

Andy Ball

Feb 17, 2001, 3:18:18 PM2/17/01
FamilyNet Newsgate

Hello Markus!

MA> ...does someone of you know if it is possible to
> connect the SM124 monitor to a VGA port of a PC?

That's tantamount to sacrilege! <grin>

I have found VGA monochrome monitors cosmetically identical
to the SM125. I'm sure there are electrical differences
though. Is the mono output from an ST at TTL or 'analog
line' level? I think I read somewhere that the TTM195 used
an ECL input, can anyone here confirm this? Also, does
anyone know who produced the SM125 and TTM195 for Atari?

Regards,
- Andy Ball.

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail
http://www.fmlynet.org

Roger Cain

Feb 18, 2001, 9:14:54 AM2/18/01

"Andy Ball" <Andy.Ballp...@fmlynet.org> wrote in message
> FamilyNet Newsgate

> Also, does
> anyone know who produced the SM125 and TTM195 for Atari?

I seem to remember that my SM125 had Lucky Goldstar (LG) markings.

moi

Feb 18, 2001, 2:46:44 PM2/18/01
ŻI seem to remember that my SM125 had Lucky Goldstar (LG) markings.

My excellent sm124 was made by them too. I noticed Goldstar to make very reliable products.

Andy Ball

Feb 18, 2001, 10:08:26 AM2/18/01
FamilyNet Newsgate

Hello Roger!

RC> I seem to remember that my SM125 had Lucky Goldstar
> (LG) markings.

Excellent, thanks!

Jim DeClercq

Feb 18, 2001, 5:34:28 PM2/18/01
Andy Ball <Andy.Ballp...@fmlynet.org> writes:
: FamilyNet Newsgate

: Hello Markus!

: MA> ...does someone of you know if it is possible to
: > connect the SM124 monitor to a VGA port of a PC?

: That's tantamount to sacrilege! <grin>

: I have found VGA monochrome monitors cosmetically identical
: to the SM125. I'm sure there are electrical differences
: though. Is the mono output from an ST at TTL or 'analog
: line' level? I think I read somewhere that the TTM195 used
: an ECL input, can anyone here confirm this? Also, does
: anyone know who produced the SM125 and TTM195 for Atari?

The SM125 was built by several companies, but the circuits and earliest
case was of an NCR business machine monitor, and it is a good guess that
whoever made them for NCR also made the first ones Atari bought.

The TTM195 uses an ECL luminance channel. It was made by Philips Canada.

I know for certain that VGA monochrome monitors that will fit on a TT use
"composite over green", which means the green of a screen becomes the
black part.

The answer to your first question is that someone makes an integrated
circuit that takes an RGB signal and turns it into a VGA signal. Have not
seen a chip that goes the other way, but it can be done with discrete
components. VGA uses chromanance and luminance signals, and the Atari ST
monitor uses Red, Green and Blue signals. You need to extract red, green
and blue signals out of chrominance and luminance signals. Good luck!
--
---------------------------------------------------_------------------------
Jim DeClercq __ __ ____ ___ ___ ____

Andy Ball

Feb 18, 2001, 7:11:20 PM2/18/01
FamilyNet Newsgate

Hello Jim!

JD> The SM125 was built by several companies, but the

> circuits and earliest case was of an NCR business
> machine monitor, and it is a good guess that
> whoever made them for NCR also made the first ones
> Atari bought.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

JD> The TTM195 uses an ECL luminance channel. It was made
> by Philips Canada.

Thanks for that too. I guess it's just a fancy way of
saying 'ECL video signal' since there would have been no
chrominance on a mono monitor. I'm guessing the sync
signals were separate TTL lines?

JD> I know for certain that VGA monochrome monitors that

> will fit on a TT use "composite over green", which
> means the green of a screen becomes the black part.

Sort of. It's normal for a monochrome VGA monitor to send
its video on the same pin that colour VGA uses for green,
but so far as I'm aware mono VGA used separate sync lines,
where 'composite over green' implies that sync is on the
same line as video. Is this a requirement of the TT?

JD> The answer to your first question is that someone

> makes an integrated circuit that takes an RGB signal
> and turns it into a VGA signal.

Colour VGA already uses RGB video, so the IC in question
probably does something else with scan rates or sync
signals... perhaps you're referring to some sort of scan
doubler that will display 15KHz style RGB on a 31KHz VGA
monitor?

JD> VGA uses chromanance and luminance signals...

Not normally, it uses separate pins for RGB analog video
and sync. I don't have the pinouts in front of me, but
can supply them if this will help. Are you confusing VGA
and S-Video?

Craig Hart

Feb 19, 2001, 8:36:17 PM2/19/01
Hi..

I doubt it can be done. The PC outputs no less than 3 resolutions in
standard VGA - 350, 400 and 480 line modes.. the SM124 can only handle 400
lines. The PC outputs an analogue signal (even in monochrome mode), but the
SM124 only accepts a digital input.

You might get "sort of" a picture in 80x25 text mode, put it would be poor
quality indeed.

Craig

<mar...@proceryon.at> wrote in message

Barrie at Atarispares

Feb 20, 2001, 6:10:17 AM2/20/01
Hello.

In a world awash with VGA and SVGA monitors why on earth would you want to
connect an SM 124 to a PC? No hidden agenda, I'm just curious. Usually
people want to connect an (S)VGA to the Atari.

Barrie at Keychange.

<mar...@proceryon.at> wrote in message

iskende...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2015, 7:31:47 AM8/17/15
It is possible. But you have to program your VGA Card to 35,7143 KHz line frequency, 71,286 Hz Screen Refresh Rate. Also, if you dont change the video preamp Circuit in the SM124 itself, it will only display black and white, no grayscale