New Fileserver

UA...@uhupvm1.bitnet

Dec 14, 1986, 7:38:21 PM12/14/86
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 86 18:23:57 CST
From: "University (of Houston) ACE (UACE)" <UACE0@UHUPVM1>
Subject: New Fileserver
To: ST Users <INFO-A...@score.stanford.EDU>

There is a new file server available on BITNET. It is the ATARINET subserver
to UH-INFO at the University of Houston. To get an index of files
that can be downloaded, enter the following on a CMS machine

tell uh-info atarinet index

On a VAX, enter

send/remote uhupvm1 uh-info "atarinet index"

enter:

tell uh-info atarinet help

for help.

Enjoy
Mike Vederman

kkn...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2015, 6:08:51 PM1/24/15
Mike,

I can't seem to access the server. Can you please verify that it is plugged in and running?

David Snowdon

Jan 24, 2015, 7:55:37 PM1/24/15
Here is something to consider: Look for the message's date.

In this case: >> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 86 18:23:57 CST

1986

That's a long time ago, when the Internet was still owned
by the US military.

David

---
---

Mudge

Jan 25, 2015, 1:37:09 PM1/25/15
On 2015-01-24 17:55:25 -0700, David Snowdon said:

> Here is something to consider: Look for the message's date.
>
> In this case: >> Date: Sun, 14 Dec 86 18:23:57 CST
>
> 1986
>
> That's a long time ago, when the Internet was still owned
> by the US military.

And "Atari" was still a real computer !

--
The Canadian Curmudgeon (in Calgary)
Remove noxious CO2 - plant many trees

dead...@deadmike.com

Sep 12, 2016, 2:31:25 AM9/12/16
OMG! I'm replying to my own post nearly 30 years later! Those machines no longer exist. Lucky I was just looking for fun for my oldest internet post. :)

And, yes, of course, Atari is only an artifact, an aromatic essence of the Sunnyvale past now in France.