Archimedes Spiral "hat" demo (graphics 8)

Jon Bailey

Jul 3, 2008, 3:29:09 PM7/3/08
I've skimmed the 'net every few years for this one to no avail, I
figure it may strike a chord with someone. :-)

There was a VERY short (but dense) Atari Basic demo that took hours to
run. When it completed, it would show, drawn in graphics mode 8+16,
from a three-quarters perspective, a 3D surface, with hidden lines
removed. The final image looked rather like a hat.

I seem to remember it being referred to as "Archimedes Spiral" in the
demo.

I recall the article with the program listing had some suggested
modifications (disabling hidden line removal made the program run
faster) -- I remember the bracketed editor's quote "[It still looks
like a hat to me --Ed.]".

I grew up in Michigan, this could conceivably have been from the
M.A.C.E. Journal newsletter...

Allen MacroWare's "Printwiz" used the image as their title screen
( http://hobart.googlepages.com/printwiz.jpg )

Anyone recall this one?

Cheers,
-Jon Bailey
Boulder CO
Atari 400, 800, 800XL - 1983-1988
Atari 520STfmd - 1990 - 1992

Russg

Jul 5, 2008, 10:48:11 PM7/5/08

"Jon Bailey" <> wrote in message news:
Nobody replied now for a couple days.
I looked for it in my archives. I bet I have it,
maybe just can't find it. I searched for
'gr8' and 'archi' and some gr8 pic disks.
I just want you to know I looked, and I don't
remember it. I have about 2.8 gigs of files,
I bet it is in there somewhere.
You got any other search ideas?

Jon Bailey

Jul 7, 2008, 12:05:12 PM7/7/08
On Jul 5, 8:48 pm, "Russg" <russg...@MUNGEsbcyahoo.net> wrote:
> "Jon Bailey" <> wrote in message news:
> > There was a VERY short (but dense) Atari Basic demo that took hours to
> > run.  When it completed, it would show, drawn in graphics mode 8+16,
> > from a three-quarters perspective, a 3D surface, with hidden lines
> > removed.  The final image looked rather like a hat.
> > I seem to remember it being referred to as "Archimedes Spiral" in the
> > demo.
> > Allen MacroWare's "Printwiz" used the image as their title screen
> > (http://hobart.googlepages.com/printwiz.jpg)
>
> Nobody replied now for a couple days.
> I looked for it in my archives.  I bet I have it,
> maybe just can't find it.  I searched for
> 'gr8' and 'archi'  and some gr8 pic disks.
> I just want you to know I looked, and I don't
> remember it.  I have about 2.8 gigs of files,
> I bet it is in there somewhere.
> You got any other search ideas?

I don't recall any text that may have been in the program other than
(potentially) Archimedes Spiral. It's been suggested that it may have
been from COMPUTE! magazine, that's about it. (Thanks for looking!)

-jon

Russg

Jul 7, 2008, 6:04:18 PM7/7/08

"Jon Bailey" <> wrote in message news:
On Jul 5, 8:48 pm, "Russg" wrote...

snip

> > (http://hobart.googlepages.com/printwiz.jpg)

snip

> You got any other search ideas?

I don't recall any text that may have been in the program other than
(potentially) Archimedes Spiral. It's been suggested that it may have
been from COMPUTE! magazine, that's about it. (Thanks for looking!)

-jon

I looked some more. In Compute stuff.
I found a program called 'Spralizer' in Oct.
83 Compute by Chayim Avinor. Now there's
a name you might remember. I ran it, it is slow.
It asks for three or four criteria, then starts drawing
ovals that end up like the atomic energy logo.
It could be it would make that hat with the right
criteria, but it doesn't look like it. I found no
reference to Archimedes in the BASIC program
listing.