LC 575 with IIe Card - Getting .dsk images to it

macn...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2015, 6:01:31 PM4/3/15
I've been googling around and can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for. So here is what I got:

LC 575 with a IIe Card
System 7.5.x
Two of those ProDOS partitions in addition to the Mac's HFS partition
Apple 5.25 drive.

This whole setup works. I've loaded some real (physical) games into and played around for a while. Now on to the mission....

I've got a CD here with all of those A2/A2E .dsk images on it. The LC 575 has a drive so I can physically put those .dsk images on the LC unit. Now... what is the best method to get them to the IIe card so it can run them???

Seen a lot about ADTPro... I probably could rig something for that to work but I'm scratching my head as to why would I have to do it. I'm so close to goal but feel so far away... :)

Any thoughts???

CR

gid...@sasktel.net

Apr 3, 2015, 7:06:41 PM4/3/15
My earlier Mac software is a little rusty since I haven't been using it much any more, but a couple of the later Mac OSes have a control panel that allows you to mount the Prodos volumes onto the desktop. I know Mac OS 7.6.1 has this control panel, but am unsure of OS 7.5.5. But this still requires having a disk image open to copy the files over.

The IIe card cannot make use of disk images such as .dsk, .po, .2mg, so to get the files out of these disk images, CiderPress is the best at that. CiderPress can also handle a .img disk image which can then be opened on the old Mac using DiskCopy.

So, for me anyways, the simplest solution at this point is to use CiderPress to create a 10 Mb disk image (or 32 Mb) that is DiskCopy compatible and copy some boot up files to it. The DiskCopy image has a suffix of .img

These are the files that you should have on it.

Prodos (v1.9)
Basic.system (v1.4.1)
DiskMaker8 - to create disk images
Dsk2File58 - open .dsk, .do and .po disk images and copy files to a volume

This setup will work on an unenhanced IIe. Copy this disk image to a cd and transfer to your old Mac. Use Disk Copy to open the disk image which will mount on the desktop. Set up the IIe card to boot from this mounted disk image.

Now, with the use of the prodos control panel you can copy all the disk images on the other CD to one of the Prodos volumes, you can use Dsk2File58 to open those disk images and copy the files to your Prodos volumes.

Hope these instructions are clearer than mud. If don't have a PC to use CiderPress, email me and I can email you a Disk Copy compatible disk image with the required files.

David Schmidt

Apr 3, 2015, 7:10:45 PM4/3/15
On 4/3/2015 6:01 PM, macn...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've got a CD here with all of those A2/A2E .dsk images on it. [...] Now... what is the best method to get them to the IIe card so it can run them???

Well... you can't. The LC/IIe card doesn't have a way to virtualize a
.dsk image and use it as if it were a real floppy. You get to use real
floppies, or you can use ProDOS programs from your hard partitions. But
the typical .dsk game isn't going to work for you until/unless you make
a real floppy disk with either ADTPro or DiskMaker 8:
http://www.markpercival.net/DM8/

> Seen a lot about ADTPro... I probably could rig something for that to work but I'm scratching my head as to why would I have to do it. I'm so close to goal but feel so far away... :)

Here's how ADTPro works with the LC IIe card:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/lc.html

Carlos Randolph

Apr 4, 2015, 9:44:44 AM4/4/15
I understand how ADTPro works but everything is talking about it as an LC with IIe card and another host computer. Gotta figure out how to do it with he LC unit being both the client and the host. The only thing I can figure is a din-8 to din-8 cable that literally is plugged into both Serial ports on the LC 575. One port is set to go to the IIe card and the other port to the LC itself.

David Schmidt

Apr 4, 2015, 3:48:36 PM4/4/15
On 4/4/2015 9:44 AM, Carlos Randolph wrote:
> I understand how ADTPro works but everything is talking about it as an LC with IIe card and another host computer. Gotta figure out how to do it with he LC unit being both the client and the host. The only thing I can figure is a din-8 to din-8 cable that literally is plugged into both Serial ports on the LC 575. One port is set to go to the IIe card and the other port to the LC itself.

You don't want to go to that level of indirection. You're getting too
deep. :-) Just use DiskMaker 8 to pull a .dsk from your shared drive
and create a real disk from it using the Disk II drive connected to your
IIe card. You can't virtualize a DOS .dsk any other way and have the
IIe card see/use it.

sicklittlemonkey

Apr 9, 2015, 12:26:36 AM4/9/15
On Sunday, 5 April 2015 07:48:36 UTC+12, schmidtd wrote:
> You can't virtualize a DOS .dsk any other way and have the
> IIe card see/use it.

Without extra hardware ... doubt this has been tested on a //e card though:
http://tulip-house.ddo.jp/DIGITAL/UNISDISKAIR/index.html

Cheers,
Nick.