MouseText to Unicode mapping?

fadden

Nov 5, 2017, 11:00:45โ€ฏAM11/5/17
Does anybody have a mapping from MouseText to approximate analogs in the Unicode BMP? I expect the window frame characters are there, but not sure about some of the others (e.g. the open/closed apples are probably not there, but there might be some serviceable replacement).

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MouseText (particularly the Apple IIgs version, without the two-character running man).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_symbols seems a good place to start. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character sounded good but they all seem to be centered... looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Elements is better for the box edge characters.

I was just wondering if somebody had already figured out a good map. I'm guessing I'll have to punt on some of the weirder ones. Maybe something approximate from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_Shapes ?

The motivation is to improve support for AppleWorks 5.x document conversion in CiderPress. James Davis just pointed out to me that AW5 supports inverse and MouseText characters in documents. This looks straightforward to support, since I'm just generating RTF, but I need to establish some sort of conversion.

Antoine Vignau

Nov 5, 2017, 1:12:47โ€ฏPM11/5/17
Andy,
I have a question regarding the behaviour of the Extract files / Add type extension feature.
When I export more than one Merlin source code, I click on "easy access in Windows" and uncheck "add type extension", then the first file keeps its .S extension, others have the .TXT extension added. I'd like all not to have the .TXT extension as the option is unchecked.

I think this is a bug and I do not find it corrected on your changelog page.

Thank you,
Antoine

ps. Thank you A LOT for the updating Ciderpress, that is a really cool software!

Antoine Vignau

Nov 5, 2017, 1:13:08โ€ฏPM11/5/17
My version is 4.0.0...

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 5, 2017, 1:32:19โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-8, fadden wrote:
> Does anybody have a mapping from MouseText to approximate analogs in the Unicode BMP? I expect the window frame characters are there, but not sure about some of the others (e.g. the open/closed apples are probably not there, but there might be some serviceable replacement).

The mapping is incomplete due to missing glyphs in Unicode.

(One would think that Unicode would _standardize_ all the fonts from the 8-bit computers era but maybe in another 100 years they might when they are done with all the idiotic emojis crap.)

The solution is to create a _custom_ font and use the Private Use Areas (U+E000โ€“U+F8FF)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Use_Areas

The only known solutions I am aware of is Kreative Korp "Relay Fonts" Specifically,

* Print Char 21 (40-Column)
* PR Number 3 (80-Column)

http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/index.shtml

Other partial solutions involve Font Awesome
http://fontawesome.io/icons/

Lastly, to _find_ existing mappings I would recommend using this pattern matcher. You _draw_ the shape and it will find the corresponding unicode glyph.
http://shapecatcher.com/

Hope this helps
M.

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 5, 2017, 1:44:10โ€ฏPM11/5/17
> > Does anybody have a mapping from MouseText to approximate analogs in the Unicode BMP?

P.S.

You may want to check out my PNG image from my "Apple ][ //e HGR Font 6502 Assembly Language Tutorial"

https://github.com/Michaelangel007/apple2_hgr_font_tutorial/blob/master/pics/apple2e_font.png

Which, in theory, you should be able to feed into Bits'n Picas. (I haven't tried.)
https://github.com/kreativekorp/bitsnpicas

The source is UTA2e, Page 8-25, Figure 8.8
https://archive.org/stream/Understanding_the_Apple_IIe#page/n233/mode/2up

Another font editor I would recommend is the website Font Struct. You can make your own font very easily as it allows exporting to .TTF
https://fontstruct.com/

Cheers,
M.

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 5, 2017, 1:49:30โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 10:44:10 AM UTC-8, Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev' wrote:

P.P.S.

Preview of the Apple 2 fonts Print Char 21, and PR Number 3:
http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml

Be aware that the leading for the these fonts is GREATER then the raw MouseText metrics due to including non-Apple glyphs. This will be an issue if you want a non-proportional font for a text editor. For printing it shouldn't be an issue.

fadden

Nov 5, 2017, 2:49:40โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 10:32:19 AM UTC-8, Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev' wrote:
> The solution is to create a _custom_ font and use the Private Use Areas (U+E000โ€“U+F8FF)

The trouble with this approach is that the goal is to convert AWP to something portable, e.g. be able to open it with Word.

> Lastly, to _find_ existing mappings I would recommend using this pattern matcher. You _draw_ the shape and it will find the corresponding unicode glyph.
> http://shapecatcher.com/

That's kinda fun. :-)

fadden

Nov 5, 2017, 2:59:03โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 10:12:47 AM UTC-8, Antoine Vignau wrote:
> I have a question regarding the behaviour of the Extract files / Add type extension feature.
> When I export more than one Merlin source code, I click on "easy access in Windows" and uncheck "add type extension", then the first file keeps its .S extension, others have the .TXT extension added. I'd like all not to have the .TXT extension as the option is unchecked.

There's something related in https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/issues/10 , which grew out of a discussion in https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/issues/9 (skim down to "That's the intended behavior.").

Getting different behavior for the first file and subsequent files does sound like a bug.

I did fix the formatting of Merlin sources in v4.0.1, so you should probably update from 4.0.0.

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 5, 2017, 6:46:12โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 11:49:40 AM UTC-8, fadden wrote:
> On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 10:32:19 AM UTC-8, Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev' wrote:
> > The solution is to create a _custom_ font and use the Private Use Areas (U+E000โ€“U+F8FF)
>
> The trouble with this approach is that the goal is to convert AWP to something portable, e.g. be able to open it with Word.

Can't Word embed fonts?

Unicode is missing the MouseText glyphs -- which means there is no portable way aside from PUA's mentioned above.

Hugh Hood

Nov 5, 2017, 7:28:16โ€ฏPM11/5/17
Andy,

While I would heartily welcome CiderPress translating the MouseText (and
even Inverse) characters in AppleWorks 5.x files to Unicode characters,
if that proves to be too onerous a task, I might suggest you just use
the same translations that AppleWorks itself used when printing those
characters to non ImageWriter printers.

1. The inverse characters just become normal characters; {perhaps
CiderPress could make them bold}?

and,

2. AppleWorks used a substitution table for the MouseText characters,
and it worked 'OK' for things like the filecard interface glyphs.

If you'd like, I can disassemble that part of AppleWorks and let you
know exactly what those translations were. I've looked at that code
before, but it's been a while.

OTOH, given the whole Unicode spectrum, I'll bet you can do newer and
better translations than AppleWorks did, because it was limited to 7-bit
ASCII choices.

Hugh Hood

Hugh Hood

Nov 5, 2017, 9:25:11โ€ฏPM11/5/17
Andy,

OK. It didn't take too long to find the translation table in SEG.WP at
byte $A584, which is $5286 in memory when printing is occurring.

I don't have the 'official' names for the MouseText characters handy
(are there any?), but here is how AppleWorks translates them to 7-bit ASCII:

MouseText @/$C0 = @ Closed/Solid Apple
MouseText A/$C1 = @ Open Apple
MouseText B/$C2 = ^ Mouse Pointer
MouseText C/$C3 = & Hourglass
MouseText D/$C4 = ' Check-mark
MouseText E/$C5 = ' Inverse Check-mark
MouseText F/$C6 = / Inverse <RTN> symbol
MouseText G/$C7 = : Hamburger Menu?
MouseText H/$C8 = < Left Arrow
MouseText I/$C9 = _ Ellipsis ...
MouseText J/$CA = v Down Arrow
MouseText K/$CB = ^ Up Arrow
MouseText L/$CC = - Overline
MouseText M/$CD = / <RTN> Symbol
MouseText N/$CE = $ Solid Block
MouseText O/$CF = { Left Arrow (mod)
MouseText P/$D0 = } Right Arrow (mod)
MouseText Q/$D1 = v Down Arrow (mod)
MouseText R/$D2 = ^ Up Arrow (mod)
MouseText S/$D3 = - Throughline
MouseText T/$D4 = L Lower Left Box Corner
MouseText U/$D5 = > Right Arrow
MouseText V/$D6 = * Cursor Blot (1)
MouseText W/$D7 = * Cursor Blot (2)
MouseText X/$D8 = [ Directory Symbol (Left)
MouseText Y/$D9 = ] Directory Symbol (Right)
MouseText Z/$DA = | Right Box Edge
MouseText [/$DB = # Diamond
MouseText \/$DC = = Overline/Underline
MouseText ]/$DD = # Cross
MouseText ^/$DE = O Floppy Symbol
MouseText _/$DF = | Left Box Edge

Hugh Hood

fadden

Nov 5, 2017, 9:38:03โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 6:25:11 PM UTC-8, Hugh Hood wrote:
> I don't have the 'official' names for the MouseText characters handy
> (are there any?), but here is how AppleWorks translates them to 7-bit ASCII:

My intention is to do something similar, but I figure with the full BMP available I should be able to do something semi-reasonable. You won't get an exact match, but unless people are embedding full user interfaces in AWP documents I doubt most of the characters get used anyway.

James Davis

Nov 5, 2017, 9:42:06โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 10:12:47 AM UTC-8, Antoine Vignau wrote:
LopeSoft FileMenuTools has an Advanced Renamer that will allow you to quickly rename all those text file extensions.

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 5, 2017, 10:15:38โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 6:25:11 PM UTC-8, Hugh Hood wrote:
> I don't have the 'official' names for the MouseText characters handy
> (are there any?)

I don't believe so. Does anyone know?

I came across something interesting though -- the Apple //c Technical Manual, Page 90, has high resolution vector versions of the glyphs!

I also took a look at the Apple //e Technical Manual and while it mentions the MouseText (in Table 2-4, page 20 ) it doesn't actually document what they look like until the end of the book in Appendix E, Table E-8 on page 246. Resolution is ~300 dpi (estimated.) No actual names are given though. :-/

Back in 2012 there was a proposal by Karl Pentzlin to add SOME of the MouseText glyphs to Unicode, specifically the closed and open Apple glyphs, EF48 and EF47 respectively, but I don't know what ever became of it (if anything.)
ftp://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/sc2/WG2/docs/n4127.pdf

mmphosis

Nov 5, 2017, 11:01:08โ€ฏPM11/5/17
Thanks for all of those codes! :)

http://hoop-la.ca/apple2/docs/mousetext/ut8.html

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 5, 2017, 11:18:47โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 8:01:08 PM UTC-8, mmphosis wrote:
> Thanks for all of those codes! :)
>
> http://hoop-la.ca/apple2/docs/mousetext/ut8.html

Unicode has a 2x2 checkerboard which is useless for us.
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1f67e/index.htm

However, you might want to use one of these glyphs for $96 $97

https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_utf_block.asp

โ–‘ 9617 2591 LIGHT SHADE
โ–’ 9618 2592 MEDIUM SHADE
โ–“ 9619 2593 DARK SHADE

fadden

Nov 5, 2017, 11:26:47โ€ฏPM11/5/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 8:01:08 PM UTC-8, mmphosis wrote:
> Thanks for all of those codes! :)
>
> http://hoop-la.ca/apple2/docs/mousetext/ut8.html

That looks pretty good. I wonder if I can paste it into Usenet...

๐ŸŽ ๐Ÿ โŒ– โณ โœ“ โœ… โŽ ๐Ÿ” โ† โ€ฆ โ†“ โ†‘ โ–” โ†ต โ–‰ โ‡ค
โ‡ฅ โค“ โค’ โ”€ โŒž โ†’ ๐Ÿ™พ ๐Ÿ™ฟ ๐Ÿ“ ๐Ÿ“‚ โ–• โ™ฆ โ€พ_ โ•ฌ ๐Ÿ’พ โ–

James Davis

Nov 6, 2017, 1:39:31โ€ฏAM11/6/17
They look good here in google groups and in my WLM news reader, but they don't all make it in WordPad using the "Print Char 21" font.

James Davis

Nov 6, 2017, 2:02:27โ€ฏAM11/6/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 6:25:11 PM UTC-8, Hugh Hood wrote:

I thought they were just called MouseText-@ (at sign), MouseText-A,... MouseText-Z,... MouseText-^ (caret), MouseText-_ (underscore), etc., using the ASCII character name as the suffix, but the actual MouseText-Symbol-name would also work as the suffix. My 40 yr. old "American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language" has a nice table of "Symbols and Signs" with their (not MouseText) names.

Antoine Vignau

Nov 6, 2017, 4:29:59โ€ฏAM11/6/17
@ James: thanks but I'd rather not use another software in my tool chain.

@ Andy: yes, Andrew's comments seem similar. I hope extracting would get the value of the "add suffix extension" checkbox and would not add the suffix if unchecked.

Thank you,

Antoine

Bill Garber

Nov 6, 2017, 2:27:08โ€ฏPM11/6/17
"James Davis" wrote in message
They look like Mouse Text characters here on my end.

Bill Garber * http://www.sepa-electronics.com *

awanderin

Nov 9, 2017, 1:10:03โ€ฏAM11/9/17
fadden <thef...@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anybody have a mapping from MouseText to approximate analogs in
> the Unicode BMP? I expect the window frame characters are there, but
> not sure about some of the others (e.g. the open/closed apples are
> probably not there, but there might be some serviceable replacement).

There are no apple symbols in Unicode that resemble the open/closed
apples. There are some glyphs that look like sketched apples.

Here is a good site to look up glyphs:
https://unicode-table.com/en/search/

If you're using LaTeX, which it doesn't sound like you are, check out:
https://herbs.github.io/Files/AppleKeys.zip
It does have EPS and PDF versions of open-apple and closed-apple that
look quite good. You might be able to hoover them out and use them for
your purposes. I haven't checked the license.

> For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MouseText (particularly
> the Apple IIgs version, without the two-character running man).
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_symbols seems a good place to
> start. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character sounded
> good but they all seem to be centered... looks like
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Elements is better for the box
> edge characters.
>
> I was just wondering if somebody had already figured out a good map.
> I'm guessing I'll have to punt on some of the weirder ones. Maybe
> something approximate from
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_Shapes ?

I haven't done the search either. I have just looked for the
open/closed apple keys when I needed them recently.

> The motivation is to improve support for AppleWorks 5.x document
> conversion in CiderPress. James Davis just pointed out to me that AW5
> supports inverse and MouseText characters in documents. This looks
> straightforward to support, since I'm just generating RTF, but I need
> to establish some sort of conversion.

Jerry awanderin at gmail dot com

fadden

Nov 11, 2017, 5:48:15โ€ฏPM11/11/17
Well, it sort of works.

You can see sample output here (Windows 10): http://faddensoft.com/chartest2/

Printed output looks like the screen, though I wouldn't go too crazy with the inverse text.

The trouble is that the symbols are coming out of non-mono fonts, so any attempt to construct boxes appears to be doomed to failure. I tried loading the RTF output into WordPad but couldn't change the font for the symbols... it's possible they just don't exist in the standard set of Windows desktop fonts.

It might make sense to stick to ASCII equivalents, as suggested earlier. Not sure what's going to be easier to read. I don't know what the common use case for MouseText in an AppleWorks doc is.

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 11, 2017, 6:39:45โ€ฏPM11/11/17
For the mouse cursor you might want to use a glyph from Font Awesome:

http://fontawesome.io/icon/mouse-pointer/

Hugh Hood

Nov 11, 2017, 6:49:22โ€ฏPM11/11/17
Andy,

I think you actually did a pretty good job with the MouseText.

How did you use Unicode to do the inverse characters? It looks good as well.

The common use case for MouseText in an AWP doc is to draw sharp-corned
boxes, and also do illustrate AppleWorks filecard screens for documentation.

This isn't my document, but here's an example:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~hughhood/appleworksinitpack/WPSetSave20-560408.png>

If someone is unsure whether they like your conversion, you could allow
the additional option of using the AppleWorks translations instead.

Hugh Hood

fadden

Nov 11, 2017, 7:53:03โ€ฏPM11/11/17
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 3:49:22 PM UTC-8, Hugh Hood wrote:
> How did you use Unicode to do the inverse characters? It looks good as well.

That's just Rich Text Format \highlight.

> The common use case for MouseText in an AWP doc is to draw sharp-corned
> boxes, and also do illustrate AppleWorks filecard screens for documentation.

Yeah, that would come out a mess. The file viewer does have the option to select the font, so in theory somebody with a monospaced font with all the symbols would see the correct thing.

Making it optional seems like a good idea.

James Davis

Nov 11, 2017, 9:44:50โ€ฏPM11/11/17
Andy,

Just an IDEA: Could you add in a font selector--for (using) the fonts available on anyones PC--for the file viewer and file conversion preferences? Would that make it easier?

Another IDEA: Would using copies of the Screen Character (Fonts) ROMs from all the types of Apple II machines and Lower Case Adapters (LCAs) help?

James Davis

fadden

Nov 11, 2017, 10:42:22โ€ฏPM11/11/17
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 6:44:50 PM UTC-8, James Davis wrote:
> Just an IDEA: Could you add in a font selector--for (using) the fonts available on anyones PC--for the file viewer and file conversion preferences? Would that make it easier?

You can click the "font" button in the file viewer to select a different one. The thing that would yield the best results is an Apple II font with MouseText glyphs in the vendor-specific area (as somebody suggested earlier) or in place of the code points CP is using. That's fine for viewing and printing (perhaps to PDF), but doesn't work well if you want to distribute a converted doc as RTF.

James Davis

Nov 12, 2017, 2:39:57โ€ฏAM11/12/17
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 7:42:22 PM UTC-8, fadden wrote:
> You can click the "font" button in the file viewer to select a different one. The thing that would yield the best results is an Apple II font with MouseText glyphs in the vendor-specific area (as somebody suggested earlier) or in place of the code points CP is using. That's fine for viewing and printing (perhaps to PDF), but doesn't work well if you want to distribute a converted doc as RTF.

OK Andy,

I got that!--Change the font while actually viewing the file in CiderPress viewer. If only I could remember it when I need to. :-)

So, looking at AW5TEST.AWP in AppleWorks 5.1 and in CiderPress' viewer or as an extracted RTF, with different fonts (e.g., Courier New, A2Like, Pr Number 3, Print Char 21, etc.), the only characters that don't translate well are the inverse uppercase characters (which are all dots or periods). MouseText characters translate into normal uppercase characters. So, your dilemma is that when you get an inverse uppercase character, you need to override the font and translate it to a normal or highlighted uppercase character (add or subtract some amount {64?}). And, you need to make "normal or highlighted" a user configurable choice. Right? Either that, or every font made needs to be modified to replace the range of characters that represent inverse uppercase characters (in the Apple II world) with normal uppercase characters instead of dots (period).--Totally impractical, right?--Unless you can do it in the font (CyderPress is using) in memory only, up front, based on the users choice, so you don't have to do it on the fly, for every character.

James Davis

James Davis

Nov 12, 2017, 2:51:56โ€ฏAM11/12/17
Just and IDEA: Could you copy the normal uppercase (range of) characters in a font to where all the dots are, up front (first), whenever CiderPress starts or the font is changed?

fadden

Nov 13, 2017, 5:39:08โ€ฏPM11/13/17
Release v4.0.3-a2 is up for anyone who wants to play with it. I added a "convert MouseText to ASCII" to the preferences to disable the fancy symbols.

https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/releases/tag/v4.0.3-a2

Hugh Hood

Nov 13, 2017, 11:32:50โ€ฏPM11/13/17
Andy,

Thanks for adding the preference to convert MouseText to ASCII in AWP
files and for using the same characters that AppleWorks did.

Where did you put that conversion code, BTW? I looked in both
appleworks.cpp and appleworks.h and didn't see where you did the
substitution. Maybe I overlooked it?

Hugh Hood

fadden

Nov 13, 2017, 11:49:21โ€ฏPM11/13/17
On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 8:32:50 PM UTC-8, Hugh Hood wrote:
> Where did you put that conversion code, BTW? I looked in both
> appleworks.cpp and appleworks.h and didn't see where you did the
> substitution. Maybe I overlooked it?

It's in the base class...

https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/blob/master/reformat/ReformatBase.cpp#L746

I am Rob

Nov 14, 2017, 12:59:47โ€ฏPM11/14/17
On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 4:39:08 PM UTC-6, fadden wrote:
> Release v4.0.3-a2 is up for anyone who wants to play with it. I added a "convert MouseText to ASCII" to the preferences to disable the fancy symbols.
>
> https://github.com/fadden/ciderpress/releases/tag/v4.0.3-a2

Instead of disabling the fancy symbols, maybe you could do what I did to display mousetext in a text file? For each mousetext character to be displayed, I added a $9B, $8F to turn on mousetext, print the mousetext character, followed by a $98, $8E to turn off mousetext, which also allows for inverse characters.

If there are no inverse characters on the screen (not counting mousetext), then the $9B (nine-bee) just needs to be set up once at the beginning of the text, and $98 (nine-eight) at the end of the text file.

The text file will print out correctly using the normal print hook at $FDED.

I also added an RLE compression function to print out multiple spaces or repeat characters. Which usually can compress an 80-col text screen down to just 1 or 3 blocks (which is 50-60% compression).

qkumba

Nov 14, 2017, 3:36:55โ€ฏPM11/14/17
MacOS carries a custom Unicode character for the closed Apple only at U+F8FF.
Obviously it doesn't display correctly on any other platform.

Rebecca Bettencourt

Nov 23, 2017, 4:07:14โ€ฏAM11/23/17
On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 8:00:45 AM UTC-8, fadden wrote:
> Does anybody have a mapping from MouseText to approximate analogs in the Unicode BMP?

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 10:32:19 AM UTC-8, Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev' wrote:
> The mapping is incomplete due to missing glyphs in Unicode.
>
> (One would think that Unicode would _standardize_ all the fonts from the 8-bit computers era but maybe in another 100 years they might when they are done with all the idiotic emojis crap.)

There are people working on it. ;)

> The solution is to create a _custom_ font and use the Private Use Areas (U+E000โ€“U+F8FF)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Use_Areas
>
> The only known solutions I am aware of is Kreative Korp "Relay Fonts"

Hi, I'm the Kreator of those fonts. :)

As Michael wrote, there is no complete mapping of MouseText characters to Unicode, yet, and the only existing mappings are in the Private Use Area. Print Char 21 and PR Number 3 map them to U+E080 through U+E09F. However, that is specific to those specific fonts (most fonts that have anything there are going to have either random glyphs or Cirth runes). I have a more general font called Fairfax and there is also a popular font out there called Nishiki-teki that map them to U+F680 through U+F69F. However, the *best* mapping *at this point in time* is this one, also supported by Fairfax (and a couple other fonts that are works in progress):

0x40 -> 0xF8FF -- Apple logo, filled (closed Apple, solid Apple)
0x41 -> 0xF8FF+0xF87F -- Apple logo, outline (open Apple, hollow Apple)
0x42 -> 0xFFBC0 -- ARROWHEAD-SHAPED POINTER
0x43 -> 0x231B -- HOURGLASS
0x44 -> 0x2713 -- CHECK MARK
0x45 -> 0xFFBAF -- INVERSE CHECK MARK
0x46 -> 0xFFBC1 -- LEFT HALF RUNNING MAN
0x47 -> 0xFFBC2 -- RIGHT HALF RUNNING MAN
0x46 -> 0xFFBC3 -- INVERSE DOWNWARDS ARROW WITH TIP LEFTWARDS
0x47 -> 0xFFB85 -- HORIZONTAL ONE EIGHTH BLOCK-1358
0x48 -> 0x2190 -- LEFTWARDS ARROW
0x49 -> 0x2026 -- HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS
0x4A -> 0x2193 -- DOWNWARDS ARROW
0x4B -> 0x2191 -- UPWARDS ARROW
0x4C -> 0x2594 -- UPPER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x4D -> 0x21B2 -- DOWNWARDS ARROW WITH TIP LEFTWARDS
0x4E -> 0x2589 -- LEFT SEVEN EIGHTHS BLOCK
0x4F -> 0xFFBC4 -- LEFTWARDS ARROW AND UPPER AND LOWER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x50 -> 0xFFBC5 -- RIGHTWARDS ARROW AND UPPER AND LOWER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x51 -> 0xFFBC6 -- DOWNWARDS ARROW AND RIGHT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x52 -> 0xFFBC7 -- UPWARDS ARROW AND RIGHT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x53 -> 0x2500 -- BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT HORIZONTAL
0x54 -> 0xFFB80 -- LEFT AND LOWER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x55 -> 0x2192 -- RIGHTWARDS ARROW
0x56 -> 0x2592 -- MEDIUM SHADE
0x57 -> 0xFFBA4 -- INVERSE MEDIUM SHADE
0x58 -> 0xFFBC8 -- LEFT HALF FOLDER
0x59 -> 0xFFBC9 -- RIGHT HALF FOLDER
0x5A -> 0x2595 -- RIGHT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x5B -> 0x25C6 -- BLACK DIAMOND
0x5C -> 0xFFB84 -- UPPER AND LOWER ONE EIGHTH BLOCK
0x5D -> 0xFFBCA -- VOIDED GREEK CROSS
0x5E -> 0xFFBCB -- RIGHT OPEN SQUARED DOT
0x5F -> 0x258F -- LEFT ONE EIGHTH BLOCK

The code points U+FFBxx are in the Supplemental Private Use Area, where they are much less likely to be used for something else. The Apple logos will never appear in Unicode because IP issues, so you might as well use Apple's mappings. The U+F8FF+F87F mapping for Open Apple is documented by Apple *, though even Apple's fonts don't appear to support it.

* see 0x6C in http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/KEYBOARD.TXT

Rebecca Bettencourt

Nov 24, 2017, 4:02:59โ€ฏAM11/24/17
A new version of Print Char 21 and PR Number 3 is now available that supports the mapping below, as well as the mapping to U+F680 - U+F69F from Fairfax and Nishiki-teki.

Get it here:

http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml

You can also see the entire character repertoire of the font here (once installed):

http://www.kreativekorp.com/charset/font.php?font=Print+Char+21

Apple logos are available at U+F8FF (per Apple), U+F812/F813 (per Linux), U+2318/2325 (standing in for Command and Option keys), and U+1F34E/1F34F (standing in for Red/Green Apple emoji), all common places to put them. :)

Michael 'AppleWin Debugger Dev'

Nov 24, 2017, 5:32:56โ€ฏPM11/24/17
Rebecca

Could you also release a "minified" version of Print Char 21 and PR Number 3 with *only* ASCII characters.

Your fonts have extra characters that cause the leading to balloon up making less lines per "page".

i.e.
This is one of the reasons I created the two fonts -- identical glyphs except for the leading.

https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/670943/program5x7a
https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/show/670968/program5x7b