Announcing DOS 3.3 Directory List Builders DIR33 and LS33 (RWTS code and More!)

Bill Buckels

Aug 22, 2013, 10:54:57 PM8/22/13
The Aztec C65 DIR33 Project for Apple II DOS 3.3 - RWTS revealed with
structures and everything...

Download it here:

http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/extras/DIR33.zip

Well I have run out of time so no more pdf's tonight.

This project is documented in the source code comments. The 3 disk images
LS33.DSK, DIR33.DSK, and CHTYPE.DSK are configured to display their
respective sources when you run them.

So go ahead and run them...

What you have here is a complete Apple II DOS 3.3 native mode compiler
environment for building programs for both native mode DOS 3.3 and the Aztec
C65 DOS 3.3 Shell.

3 - programs are included for you to run and build if you wish:

LS33 - A command line directory list builder and shell script writer for
the Aztec C DOS 3.3 Shell. This one is really cool... it even reads a scoped
list of files from the catalog then plugs them into functional DOS 3.3 shell
script formats... you can redirect them to disk and run slideshows and
stuff, or do some real work if there's any left to do on the Apple II in DOS
3.3.

DIR33 - A directory list builder for "RAW" DOS 3.3 If you don't want to
muck with a command line this is the rugged equivalent of LS33 and will
follow you anywhere that a VTOC lives...

CHTYPE - A command line utility for changing DOS 3.3 filetypes. This is the
source code and everything, and as a special bonus, I thrwe in a generic
buildscript that will build up to 10 shell utilities for DOS 3.3 at once!

Now some additonal information on RWTS (Read Write Track Sector) routines in
Aztec C65.

You may have noticed that one of the utilities in the RAT (called DLIST)
creates directory lists from the DOS 3.3 catalog command by scraping the
screen. At that particular point in time I had failed miserably to master
rwts() in Aztec C65 and in desperation I decided to scrape the Apple II's
screen to build a file list to preserve what was left of my dignity.

But much has changed since then and as I get closer to putting the pieces of
this strange collection of DOS 3.3 compilers together, my dignity has
vanished completely...

The utilities that you have here while not of exceptional quality, are
certainly fun to play with, both in the Aztec C DOS 3.3 Shell and in "RAW"
DOS 3.3... and although you see me using rwts everywhere these days (in the
RAT and the RD hex viewer etc) the 3 programs you have here were the ones I
cut my rwts on... this has been going on even longer than I want to think
about... ok I'll come clean. I quit programming Apple II code for a couple
of years because I got so frustrated with rwts. Then I dilly-dallyed in
ProDOS while I avoided the awful truth!

Honestly... so now I am going to grab a guiness and breath a sigh of relief
because I got this out there before my commercial fishing season starts...
barely!

But wait! There's More!!!

Download them now and you will get absolutely free yet even more
documentation in that bleary eyed now-familiar burned-out after coding and
can barely see format that I have come to know and love:

WorkingWithFiles.txt

In case you can't guess from the name what it's about here's a link to a
sneak preview:

Read Something else here:

http://www.aztecmuseum.ca/extras/WorkingWithFiles.txt

All the best,

Bill

PS - maybe I'll get back to that CP/M 80 program that I was writing to
access the Apple II's ROMS to do graphics in CP/M... that was something I
parked and hid away about 5 years back... in Aztec C of course!

Antoine Vignau

Aug 23, 2013, 1:33:23 AM8/23/13
Bil,
Do you ever sleep?
Av

Bill Buckels

Aug 23, 2013, 2:45:45 PM8/23/13
M. T,

Vous avez quatre bonnes raisons pour dormir. J'ai une bonne raison. Mes
autres raisons ont une vie propre. Pour cette raison, vous avez besoin de
quatre fois plus de sommeil par comparaison.

Je continue � �crire des programmes pour DOS 3.3. Je sais DOS 3.3 suce! Je
sais ProDOS, c'est mieux!

J'esp�re que vous me pardonnerez!

Un jour, je vais conna�tre mon histoire et je peux passer � la Brutal Deluxe
Uni de l'ordinateur GS! Mais pour l'instant j'ai beaucoup � apprendre.

Est-ce votre offre d'�crire des routines optimis�es pour le d�codage et
l'encodage ProDOS 8 graphiques encore une bonne offre? Ou avez-vous besoin
de dormir?

Tous les meilleurs,

M. Boucles de ceinture du la Lac

(Take care Tony)

Antoine Vignau

Aug 23, 2013, 5:20:47 PM8/23/13
Really cute, Guillaume, je vous tire mon chapeau (or "chapeau bas" ;-)

I really appreciate the "M." which is short for "Monsieur". French people usually write "Mr." which is short for "Mister" not for "Monsieur"

Antoine "ProDOS" Vignau

Bill Buckels

Aug 23, 2013, 8:18:10 PM8/23/13

"Antoine Vignau" <antoine...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Really cute, Guillaume, je vous tire mon chapeau (or "chapeau bas" ;-)

And I to you...

> I really appreciate the "M." which is short for "Monsieur". French people
> usually write "Mr." which is short for "Mister" not for "Monsieur".

I honestly wasn't aware of that. Les temps ont chang� depuis l'�poque de
Victor Hugo!

On m'a demand� d'�tudier le fran�ais � l'�cole d�s l'�ge de 9 ans. Mon
professeur �tait l'anglais et a appris le fran�ais � Paris quand elle �tait
une jeune fille. Elle �tait tr�s vieille et maintenant je suis l'�ge de 60
ans.

> Antoine "ProDOS" Vignau

- Silly Guilly

gid...@sasktel.net

Aug 23, 2013, 10:40:33 PM8/23/13
I had to use the "translate to English" link and the M. came up as Mister. I guess there is no translation for Monsieur in English. Maybe "I am honored by your recognition of me to warrant a reply" comes close. -_-

Bill Buckels

Aug 23, 2013, 11:13:15 PM8/23/13
<gid...@sasktel.net> wrote:

> Maybe "I am honored by your recognition of me to warrant a reply" comes
> close. -_-

You've gone all literal and syntaxy...

Make sure you ping the translation between english and french several times
too:)

As far back as my earliest days of producing software, I was fascinated by
this stuff... it must come with the job. The easiest thing ever was one
client Peerless Carpets... Anglophones in Quebec do not speak the same
English we Prairie boys do (as you know)...

Translating their copy could be done in a flash with the primitive
translators we had.

The reverse is also true. In around 1994 I once translated a whole series of
manuals for software I was writing for distribution through the Manitoba
Textbook people, and I received literally no corrections.

Go figger... Mr. T catches me easily... so what's wrong with this picture:)

I'll stick to the C language. It is like latin.

Bill