AppShell

Axel Doerfler

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Hi there,

the AppShell, a shell for applications (by David N. Junod) is several
times mentioned in the developer-documentation.
But I can't find the code or something like that - just references.
Does anyone know, what it is and what it does?

--
Adios...
Axel.

Timothy Rue

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
On 20-Jan-99 09:32:45 Axel Doerfler <adoe...@uni-osnabrueck.de> wrote:
AD> Hi there,

AD> the AppShell, a shell for applications (by David N. Junod) is
AD> several times mentioned in the developer-documentation. But I
AD> can't find the code or something like that - just references.
AD> Does anyone know, what it is and what it does?
AD>
AD> --
AD> Adios...
AD> Axel.

I've heard of this too. But like you I haven't seen anything.

It's my understanding it was an attempt to do something that for one
reason or another did not go thru.

It seems to me that it's supposed to have been something along the lines of
what the VIC is.

It also occures to me that in my efforts to communicate the VIC to others
there was a time where I posted information on it to quite a few Amiga
BBS's, a few rather popular ones at that.

This was many years ago and as far as I can tell it was around this time
that the appshell talk came about.

I have wondered if my posting info years ago about the VIC might have, even
then, inspired others.

The difference between then and now is that now I have better connection
with the community thru the internet newsgroups.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know more about what the Appshell was about
and why it never came about.

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
*~ ~ ~ Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue What's *DONE* in all we do? *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:tim...@mindspring.com >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/ ^<--------<----9----<--------<
Search email/name @ http://www.dejanews.com for other puzzle parts/posts.

Håkan Younes

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
: Anyway, I'd be interested to know more about what the Appshell was about

: and why it never came about.

I found the following info at http://www.iol.ie/~ecarroll/devcon.html

"... AppShell, a tool Commodore are developing to make it easier to write
Amiga applications with a standard look and feel. Unlike ToolMaker
which is currently available, AppShell is still some way off. However,
it offers significant advantages, including font-independence,
built-in ARexx support, standardised tool types and a host of other
goodies. It comes in the form of a runtime library so application code
size is kept to a minimum, and it has a companion program AppBuilder
which allows the donkey work of creating an interface to be done using
the mouse."

Also, look at http://www.mindspring.com/~djunod/dnj-res.htm. It's
David Junod's resume. It mentions AppShell briefly. Of course,
nothing is said about the final status of AppShell. Perhaps someone
could e-mail David and ask?

/Håkan
--
www: http://hem.passagen.se/lorens/ | God is a hypothesis
e-mail: lor...@acm.org | for which I have no

Timothy Rue

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
On 21-Jan-99 09:03:33 Håkan Younes <d93...@picasso.nada.kth.se> wrote:
HY>: Anyway, I'd be interested to know more about what the Appshell
HY>: was about and why it never came about.

HY> I found the following info at
HY> http://www.iol.ie/~ecarroll/devcon.html

HY> Also, look at http://www.mindspring.com/~djunod/dnj-res.htm.
HY> It's David Junod's resume. It mentions AppShell briefly. Of
HY> course, nothing is said about the final status of AppShell.
HY> Perhaps someone could e-mail David and ask?

Thanks. D. Junod information on Appshell seems to be written in terms of
today. Zedrexx too.

David N. Junod

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

Axel Doerfler wrote in message <36A5E90D...@uni-osnabrueck.de>...
>Hi there,
>
>the AppShell, a shell for applications (by David N. Junod) is several

>times mentioned in the developer-documentation.
>But I can't find the code or something like that - just references.

>Does anyone know, what it is and what it does?

AppShell was the next generation after ModEngine. ModEngine was an
AmigaMail article that I wrote about modular event programming, and thought
was put on a Fish Disk (although I can't locate it right now).

ModEngine was next generation to work I had done before going to C= (I don't
think I ever heard of anything called "VIC").

Basically, AppShell provide a user-interface independant method of writing
applications. You would write the functions of your application according
to the AppShell way and you would "magically" get an ARexx interface, CLI
interface (like TxEd) and GUI. AppShell would also give you most of the
functionality of the Amiga User Interface Style Guide without you having to
write the code. There was also a companion appobjects.library that
contained a number of neato GUI objects (multi-column listview, image
buttons, etc.)

AppShell was given away on the DevCon disks---so if you have them, you have
AppShell. It never reached a release state, because when I moved from CATS
to Engineering, it was basically dropped.

>--
>Adios...
> Axel.

~DNJ~

Philipp Dopichaj

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
nospam...@mindspring.com (David N. Junod) schrieb:

> AppShell was the next generation after ModEngine. ModEngine was an
> AmigaMail article that I wrote about modular event programming, and thought
> was put on a Fish Disk (although I can't locate it right now).
>
> AppShell was given away on the DevCon disks---so if you have them, you have
> AppShell. It never reached a release state, because when I moved from CATS
> to Engineering, it was basically dropped.

Yes, it's also on the Amiga Developer CD 1.2 (which features the
complete(?) set of DevCon disks), an old version in
DevCon/Atlanta_1990/Atlanta-DevCon.2/AppShell and a newer version in
DevCon/Milan_1991/DevCon91.4/AppShell. Great concept!

Unfortunately, the examples for both versions produce enforcer hits
(the old version almost works, but the new version doesn't even
open the window before crashing). :-(

BTW, the article about ModEngine doesn't appear to be on the CD in
AmigaGuide or Postscript format, even though it's available in
ASCII (jf90.lzh).

--
Philipp Dopichaj
philipp....@gmx.net

David N. Junod

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

Philipp Dopichaj wrote in message <2qbk3MD...@gmx.de>...

>Unfortunately, the examples for both versions produce enforcer hits
>(the old version almost works, but the new version doesn't even
>open the window before crashing). :-(

AppShell was developed while running Enforcer & MungWall under OS 2.x
without any problems.

Under 3.x there was a change in Intuition or GadTools (I don't remember
which) which caused problems for AppShell. Peter Cherna & I couldn't ever
pinpoint exactly what was going on and then I never worked on it anymore.

>Philipp Dopichaj
>philipp....@gmx.net

~DNJ~

David N. Junod

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
BTW---Don't bother sending a request for the source code for AppShell or any
other C= property. It doesn't belong to me, and I'm not going to provide
it.

~DNJ~

Hannu Nevalainen

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
In a message dated 23-Jan-99 05:46:07

David N. Junod <nospam...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>AppShell was given away on the DevCon disks---so if you have them, you have
>AppShell.

Would it be possible to have copies of these disks published on the net?
Might it be that this code is available on the Developer CD?

> It never reached a release state, because when I moved from CATS
>to Engineering, it was basically dropped.

<sigh> one more thing that _could_ have been beneficial...

/Hannu E.K.Nevalainen/ C=1k2 B1260SCSI, 80M, WD1.2GCaviar, Scanner
/he...@WAREZ.it.kth.se/ CDR, C=1084S/Euro36:Hires Lace/68Hz 704x400
Personal rc5-stats: 14,165 2^28-key blks, i.e. 3,802,388+ Mkeys, M68K Amiga.
450Mhz PII/MMX adding 1.1M RC5 & 4.6M DES keys/s to this since end of Dec'98
--
No tag this time...