World of Commodore Toronto

Tim Ciceran

Nov 24, 1992, 1:03:11 PM11/24/92
Every once in a while, the marketing people at CBM come out with something
which is truly impressive. The promotional mail-out for this year's WOC in
Toronto is no exception. Opening the folded, six-segment pamphlet, you are
immediately greeted with: Exciting New Products; FREE Seminars; The Latest
Software; Amazing Virtual Reality; See it all at the...

Tenth Annual World of Commodore

The ad then goes on to mention the showing of the A600, A1200, A4000 and
A570 CD-ROM drive and mentions the appearance of the Cyber 1000 virtual
reality system from Virtuality Canada. And you get a $2 off admission
coupon to boot. Nicely done.

Anyway, I thought that I would share the list of scheduled seminars:
(Seminars begin at 10:30 and run every hour. They are subject to change.)

Friday December 4

o Jim Butterfield discusses Amiga
o Powerhouse presentations with Scala
o 24-bit graphics with OpalVision
* CBM discusses new Amiga products
o Gold Disk presents Pro Page 4.0 & Draw 3.0
o Electronic Arts presents Deluxe Paint 4.5
o Soft-Logik unveils Art Expression

Saturday December 5

o Desktop video with GVP's IV24
o Lou Wallace presents AmigaVision 3.0
* Lou Eggebrecht, VP of Engineering discusses
the future of Amiga technology
o Digital Creations presents Brilliance
o Gold Disk demonstrates Video Director
o Lee Stranahan presents the Video Toaster

Sunday December 6

o Playmation -3D character animation for the Amiga
o Electronic Arts introduces Deluxe Paint 4.5
o Lou Wallace presents AmigaVision 3.0
o Powerhouse presentations with Scala
o 24-bit graphics with OpalVision
o GVP introduces Phonepak VFX
* CBM discusses new Amiga products

World of Commodore
December 4,5 & 6 (10 AM to 6 PM)
International Centre
6900 Airport Road
Mississauga, ON
(416) 285-5950

George Hepker VI

Nov 25, 1992, 5:16:45 AM11/25/92
I probably won't make it to the Toronto show but I hope some kind net person
can firmly ask when 16bit DSP, Scsi2, and the truly advanced chipset will
come out.

Wish I were going,
George Hepker

Kelvin Leung

Nov 25, 1992, 3:15:33 PM11/25/92
t...@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA (Tim Ciceran) writes:

>In article <1evjqd...@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b...@web-1c.berkeley.edu
>(George Hepker VI) writes:

>>I probably won't make it to the Toronto show but I hope some kind net person
>>can firmly ask when 16bit DSP, Scsi2, and the truly advanced chipset will
>>come out.

>Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath on another chipset. Given the
>fact that seminars will be held with CBM engineering however, some insight
>might be made concerning the delivery of the DSP and SCSI II adaptor.

>BTW, will any of the frequent CBM net contributors (Dave, George et al) be
> at the show?

I don't know. I heard Dave Haynie will show up at an Amiga conference/
exhibiton in Germany though. Is that true? when?\

Yours Sincerely,
Kelvin
e-mail: ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu

George Robbins

Nov 25, 1992, 11:11:41 PM11/25/92
In article <1992Nov25....@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA> t...@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA (Tim Ciceran) writes:
> In article <1evjqd...@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b...@web-1c.berkeley.edu
> (George Hepker VI) writes:
>
> >I probably won't make it to the Toronto show but I hope some kind net person
> >can firmly ask when 16bit DSP, Scsi2, and the truly advanced chipset will
> >come out.
>
> Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath on another chipset. Given the
> fact that seminars will be held with CBM engineering however, some insight
> might be made concerning the delivery of the DSP and SCSI II adaptor.
>
> BTW, will any of the frequent CBM net contributors (Dave, George et al) be
> at the show?

I don't think so. I was up there two years ago and though it was a pretty,
nice show, but they don't let us out of our cages too often these days...

--
George Robbins - now working for, work: to be avoided at all costs...
but no way officially representing: uucp: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

Magnus Thelander

Nov 26, 1992, 2:23:16 AM11/26/92
In article <1992Nov25....@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
>I don't know. I heard Dave Haynie will show up at an Amiga conference/
>exhibiton in Germany though. Is that true? when?\

Could be. If it's true, it's probably the W.O.C. in Frankfurt this
Weekend.

Magnus
Magnus Thelander # Lund institute of technology # CAPITALIST: Someone
Spoleg. 13 208B # Internet: d8...@efd.lth.se # who has everything
S-222 20 Lund # Fido: 2:203/602.18 # and wants to share

Bo Najdrovsky

Nov 26, 1992, 6:45:04 PM11/26/92
Tim Ciceran (t...@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA) wrote:
:
: Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath on another chipset. Given the

: fact that seminars will be held with CBM engineering however, some insight
: might be made concerning the delivery of the DSP and SCSI II adaptor.
:

Well, holding breath might be a bit too much, but in Pasadena, Lew
Eggerbrecht made it quite clear that the chip design has been significantly
expedited. For me, it's more important that C= finish up the RTG technology
and release AmigaOS 4.0 I'm quite happy with my 3000, and I don't really
want to buy another machine, just to get more colors. Something like
the Resolver would be quite satisfactory. :-)

| Bo Najdrovsky b...@mndcrme.uoknor.edu b...@okcforum.uoknor.edu| // |
| | // |
| "I remember now, I remember how it started..." | \X/ AMIGA |

Martin Black

Nov 28, 1992, 10:31:31 AM11/28/92
b...@mndcrme.uoknor.edu (Bo Najdrovsky) writes:

>Tim Ciceran (t...@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA) wrote:
>:
>: Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath on another chipset. Given the
>: fact that seminars will be held with CBM engineering however, some insight
>: might be made concerning the delivery of the DSP and SCSI II adaptor.
>:

> Well, holding breath might be a bit too much, but in Pasadena, Lew
>Eggerbrecht made it quite clear that the chip design has been significantly
>expedited. For me, it's more important that C= finish up the RTG technology
>and release AmigaOS 4.0 I'm quite happy with my 3000, and I don't really
>want to buy another machine, just to get more colors. Something like
>the Resolver would be quite satisfactory. :-)

Well I think that rtg, and the new chip set is going to go hand in hand.
And I think that the new chip sets will be on boards that you put on your
a3000 or a4000. Don't foret at pasadena they said the new chip sets will be
modular. And you wouldn't have to design a new computer for it, further
expiditing things.

Martin

Michael van Elst

Nov 28, 1992, 7:00:39 PM11/28/92
In <1992Nov25....@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
>I don't know. I heard Dave Haynie will show up at an Amiga conference/
>exhibiton in Germany though. Is that true? when?\

Yes, Dave is here in Germany during the WoC in Frankfurt.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP: universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

Ludwig Hurt

Nov 28, 1992, 5:25:25 AM11/28/92
In article <1992Nov25....@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
->t...@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA (Tim Ciceran) writes:
->
->>In article <1evjqd...@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b...@web-1c.berkeley.edu
->>(George Hepker VI) writes:
->
->>>I probably won't make it to the Toronto show but I hope some kind net person
->>>can firmly ask when 16bit DSP, Scsi2, and the truly advanced chipset will
->>>come out.
->
->>Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath on another chipset. Given the
->>fact that seminars will be held with CBM engineering however, some insight
->>might be made concerning the delivery of the DSP and SCSI II adaptor.
->
->>BTW, will any of the frequent CBM net contributors (Dave, George et al) be
->> at the show?
->
->I don't know. I heard Dave Haynie will show up at an Amiga conference/
->exhibiton in Germany though. Is that true? when?\

He will appear on the WoC in Frankfurt from Nov 26th to 29th.

->
->
->Yours Sincerely,
->Kelvin
->e-mail: ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu

--
Ludwig Hurt, | The first myth of management is that it exists !!
Wertheimer Str.74 |

Ed Brown

Nov 29, 1992, 12:16:45 PM11/29/92
> I'm quite happy with my 3000, and I don't really
> want to buy another machine, just to get more colors.

Ok, so am I... but how about more colors AND more resolution? The HAM8 and
800X600 res modes on the A4000 are sensational. I'd get an A4000 if I
could afford it but for right now my A3000 does the job... it'll have to!
For the future, though, I'd REALLY like a graphics update of some sort. I'd
prefer an AGA update but if that is not possible, then an 8-bit video
board such as the Resolver might be acceptable even if it is a bit spendy.

* Edward E. Brown II * Internet: e...@pro-freedom.cts.com *
* Chemist On A Mission From GOD! * FidoNet: 1:105/135 *
Annoy the media...Think for yourself!

321...@qucdn.queensu.ca

Nov 29, 1992, 4:57:46 PM11/29/92
I had heard that Commodore Canada got a different bunch of people to
organize the show this year. They got rid of the Hunter Group. That
would explain the nice brochure....

Jason

this is a test

Nov 30, 1992, 1:10:15 AM11/30/92
In article <92334.165...@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> <321...@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
writes:

>I had heard that Commodore Canada got a different bunch of people to
>organize the show this year. They got rid of the Hunter Group. That
>would explain the nice brochure....

Actually, Ramige is a descendant of the Hunter Group and headed by one
of the former employees. In any event, exhibits are supposedly *up* 20%
for this year's show, so they must be doing something right :).

bu...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au

Nov 29, 1992, 11:39:38 PM11/29/92
mle...@specklec.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) writes:
> ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:
>>I don't know. I heard Dave Haynie will show up at an Amiga conference/
>>exhibiton in Germany though. Is that true? when?\
>
> Yes, Dave is here in Germany during the WoC in Frankfurt.

But you never answered the question everyone wants to ask,

"Does the sun really shine out of Dave's you-know-what?"

[ For the humour-challenged, add infinite smilies ]

Bu...@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au OR bu...@monu1.cc.monash.oz
DOD# 251 '84 VF 750 Closet Ducatisto
Disclaimer. If you love your llama, let it lambada.

Dr Peter Kittel Germany

Nov 30, 1992, 5:37:24 AM11/30/92
In article <1992Nov25....@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> ab...@coos.dartmouth.edu (Kelvin Leung) writes:

>I don't know. I heard Dave Haynie will show up at an Amiga conference/
>exhibiton in Germany though. Is that true? when?\

Yes, he did, here in Frankfurt, but flew back this morning.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel // E-Mail to \\ Only my personal opinions...
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Thomas VanNess Leavitt

Dec 6, 1992, 1:33:21 PM12/6/92
In article <bn....@mndcrme.uoknor.edu> b...@mndcrme.uoknor.edu (Bo Najdrovsky) writes:
>Tim Ciceran (t...@spartan.ac.BrockU.CA) wrote:
>:
>: Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath on another chipset. Given the
>: fact that seminars will be held with CBM engineering however, some insight
>: might be made concerning the delivery of the DSP and SCSI II adaptor.
>:
>
> Well, holding breath might be a bit too much, but in Pasadena, Lew
>Eggerbrecht made it quite clear that the chip design has been significantly
>expedited. For me, it's more important that C= finish up the RTG technology
>and release AmigaOS 4.0 I'm quite happy with my 3000, and I don't really
^^^
aren't we getting a little impatient here? how
long has 3.0 been out? a couple of months? geez, half of us are still
operating on 1.3!!! 2.0 is great...

Marc N. Barrett

Dec 6, 1992, 5:01:54 PM12/6/92
In article <bn....@mndcrme.uoknor.edu> b...@mndcrme.uoknor.edu (Bo Najdrovsky) writes:
> Well, holding breath might be a bit too much, but in Pasadena, Lew
>Eggerbrecht made it quite clear that the chip design has been significantly
>expedited.

I would like to know what has changed all of a sudden to make this at all
possible. According to Commodore's 1992 Annual Report, R&D investments for
FY1992 were $25.7 million. Between 1986 and 1991, R&D investments were much
higher, an average of $30 million per year. Even when Commodore's R&D
investments were higher, it took Commodore **SEVEN YEARS** to develop the AGA
chipset, which offers significant improvements only in a tiny few areas.
Commodore's investments in R&D are lower now than they have ever been, and yet
Commodore's engineers are supposedly going to start cranking out chipsets far
more quickly than when funding for R&D at Commodore was far higher. Again,
what has changed all of a sudden that this is possible?

---
| Marc Barrett -MB- | email: bar...@iastate.edu

Rick Kelly

Dec 7, 1992, 6:18:33 PM12/7/92

In the past few years, the development of more complex CAE software has reduced
the time and manpower required to develop custom chips by a significant amount.

--
Rick Kelly Rick's Amiga Framingham, Mass.

think!unixland!rmkhome!rkamiga!root

Bo Najdrovsky

Dec 10, 1992, 1:48:46 AM12/10/92
Thomas VanNess Leavitt (lea...@cheshire.oxy.edu) wrote:
: aren't we getting a little impatient here? how

: long has 3.0 been out? a couple of months? geez, half of us are still
: operating on 1.3!!!

I'm sorry, but that's that half's fault. I'm running 2.1 on my 3000. Those
who don't upgrade are going to find increasingly smaller software base
compatible with their systems. (except for games that usually run in
anything, since they throw any OS that is hanging around out the window)

3.0 has nothing to do with the general improvement of the OS. It's a
release for support of the AGA chipset. 3.1 will be important, because
it will include networking (TCP/IP) and DSP support. 4.0 is when we really
take off. I'm also silently hoping that by 4.0 the OS has some sort of
memory protection on the MMU equiped processors, but I'm not getting my
hopes up.

Donald R Lloyd

Dec 11, 1992, 8:46:20 AM12/11/92
In <bn....@mndcrme.uoknor.edu> b...@mndcrme.uoknor.edu (Bo Najdrovsky) writes:

>3.0 has nothing to do with the general improvement of the OS. It's a
>release for support of the AGA chipset. 3.1 will be important, because

Wrong. 3.0 also adds Datatypes.library, the directory caching FFS,
and numerous other improvements internally (like support for double-buffering
in Intuition, etc). It's far from an AGA version of 2.1... it's a rather
big upgrade all the way around. Why CBM is even bothering with 2.1 is a
bit of a mystery to me.

>it will include networking (TCP/IP) and DSP support. 4.0 is when we really
>take off. I'm also silently hoping that by 4.0 the OS has some sort of
>memory protection on the MMU equiped processors, but I'm not getting my
>hopes up.

Wouldn't count on it. What Lou Eggenrecht has said it _will_ have is
RTG, which, IMHO, is much more important than any of the above.

--
Don Lloyd / "No, I just think that a computer grafted on top of \
d...@chopin.udel.edu | another computer is a kludge. It has nothing to do |