Can I use a 24-bit gfx card on A1200 with Blizzard 030?

david_...@yahoo.com

Oct 26, 2000, 10:34:32 AM10/26/00

I would like to buy one of 24-bit graphics cards for
Amiga. I would be very grateful to anyone who would
help me with the following questions:

1) I have Amiga1200 OS 3.0 with connected accelerator
Blizzard 030/50Mhz FPU. Can I connect PICASSOII+
CyberVision64 or Graffity Videocard even then?

2) Does it work with plain RGB (PAL) monitor?

3) I heard that Graffity Videocard is not 24-bit
gfx card as such but some connector add-on or
something which connects between A1200 and monitor.
Is that true? And can it really display 16M
colors or only 65000?

4) What is the best and not expensive card I can obtain
for A1200 nowadays and where please? I live in Czech
Republic and I have a credit card, so I would be able and glad
to receive the gfx card via normal mail, if possible.

Thank you very much indeed for your help in advance.

Yours

David Tesarik david_...@yahoo.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mark Titmuss

Oct 26, 2000, 1:13:23 PM10/26/00

david_...@yahoo.com wrote:

> 1) I have Amiga1200 OS 3.0 with connected accelerator
> Blizzard 030/50Mhz FPU. Can I connect PICASSOII+
> CyberVision64 or Graffity Videocard even then?

If you want to use Picasso or CyberVision, you will need Zorro slots,
for example the Power Zorro 4 busboard for the A1200. This is expensive
though, because you need to buy a power tower, the busboard and the gfx
card. You can use Grafitti because if connects between the RGB output
and the monitor.

> 2) Does it work with plain RGB (PAL) monitor?

No, the GFX card will have a VGA output, allowing you to use a lovely
VGA or SVGA monitor. You can "promote" a lot of PAL software to run on
the VGA monitor, and everything else can run on your old monitor.

> 3) I heard that Graffity Videocard is not 24-bit
> gfx card as such but some connector add-on or
> something which connects between A1200 and monitor.
> Is that true? And can it really display 16M
> colors or only 65000?

I don't know much about this card, but from what I remember it's not
very good because it's not supported by much software, and it's slow.

> 4) What is the best and not expensive card I can obtain
> for A1200 nowadays and where please? I live in Czech
> Republic and I have a credit card, so I would be able and glad
> to receive the gfx card via normal mail, if possible.

I personally use the Pixel64 graphics card, which requires the AteoBus
ISA slots. This is an excellent (and cheap) alternative to Zorro. The
card is fast, supports high resolutions in 32 bit, and as I've already
said, it's quite cheap. The AteoBus also gives you the opportunity to
add other cool cards to your A1200 such as 16 bit sound cards, fast
serial/parallel ports, IDE/SCSI controllers etc.

I would strongly recommend that you consider the AteoBus+Pixel64 route.
You can find all the information you will need at
http://www.ateo-concepts.com/

I hope you sort something out - a graphics card will really make your
Amiga even more of a joy to use, both in serious apps and in games,
giving you speed, high resolutions and lots of colours.

Good luck!

--

Mark
Powered by: Amiga 1200T, Apollo 040/40, 2C 32F, 4.3G HD, 24x CD, Z100,

Mark Gregory

Oct 26, 2000, 8:36:41 PM10/26/00
"Mark Titmuss" <mr.bigg...@virgin.net> wrote in message

> > 4) What is the best and not expensive card I can obtain
> > for A1200 nowadays and where please?
>
> I would strongly recommend that you consider the AteoBus+Pixel64 route.
> You can find all the information you will need at
> http://www.ateo-concepts.com/

If you want to go this route, you'd better hurry. Ateo Concepts has just
announced that they are leaving the Amiga market. So basically whatever
stock they have on hand is all there will ever be. Full details of their
decision and clearance sale are on their Web site.

Regards,
Mark Gregory