A3640 in A3000T ????

s08...@dutiws.twi.tudelft.nl

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95
Hello everybody,

There is a possibility that I'll get an A3640 board. I've an A3000T with
an old Ramsey&DMAC. Will this work ?, If not, are Ramsey&DMAC still
available (somewhere ?)
I believe that there is a FAQ about this subject, could someone mail this
to me ?
Any suggestions are welcome. (And no, I don't have enough money for a
Cyberstorm :/ )

GReetings, Patrick

Scott Olson

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
Rick Thomson (rtho...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> Is there anything special that needs to be done when installing a Warp
> 4040 in a 3000T? I hooked the jumper to the CIA and changed the
> jumpers as they suggested, but all I get is a black screen... any
> suggestions?

Make certain you've connected the jumper to the correct CIA pin,
other than that I had no trouble installing a Warp 4033 on my 3000T (once
I got it seated all the way, that CPU connector is TIGHT!)

Scott

Mooncrow

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
s08...@dutiws.twi.tudelft.nl wrote:

: There is a possibility that I'll get an A3640 board. I've an A3000T with

: an old Ramsey&DMAC. Will this work ?, If not, are Ramsey&DMAC still
: available (somewhere ?)

Well my 3000T has a rev D Ramsey, and I installed a rev 3.1 A3640. I
believe I read that anything newer than rev 3.1 won't work, but check the
FAQ first. At any rate, it works fine in my machine, with the exception
that my PhonePak didn't function properly afterwards. Lucklily I have a
desktop A3000 that I could translplant the PhonePak to.

--
/\ /\ /\ /\ |/\ /\ |/\ /\ | | Robert A. Green
| \/ | | || || || | | | | | moon...@aloha.com
| | \/ \/ | | \/ | \/ \/\/ BBS:808-456-8541 8-n-1 28.8K
Web Surfing Address - http://asylum.aloha.com/~mooncrow

Rick Thomson

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95

Mooncrow

Jul 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/5/95
Mooncrow (moon...@mango.aloha.com) wrote:
: believe I read that anything newer than rev 3.1 won't work, but check the
^^^^^ ack!! I mean "older"!

Tashko Sarakinov - MECE/W94

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
: Rick Thomson (rtho...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: > Is there anything special that needs to be done when installing a Warp

: > 4040 in a 3000T? I hooked the jumper to the CIA and changed the
: > jumpers as they suggested, but all I get is a black screen... any
: > suggestions?

Did you only change the jumpers on the 4040? You need to change a
couple of jumpers on the 3000T just under where the WE sits. Give their
tech support a call. Got mine working in a couple of minutes...

Regards,

Tashko.

Machine Gun

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
On Wed 5-Jul-1995 11:28a, Scott Olson wrote:
SO> Rick Thomson (rtho...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
SO> > Is there anything special that needs to be done when installing a Warp
SO> > 4040 in a 3000T? I hooked the jumper to the CIA and changed the
SO> > jumpers as they suggested, but all I get is a black screen... any
SO> > suggestions?

SO> Make certain you've connected the jumper to the correct CIA pin,
SO> other than that I had no trouble installing a Warp 4033 on my 3000T (once
SO> I got it seated all the way, that CPU connector is TIGHT!)

SO> Scott

Do you have to put a jumper on the wd rev 08 scsi chip??

How the built in scsi like the warps scsi 2???

Robert D. Swank

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
s08...@dutiws.twi.tudelft.nl wrote:
: Hello everybody,

: There is a possibility that I'll get an A3640 board. I've an A3000T with
: an old Ramsey&DMAC. Will this work ?, If not, are Ramsey&DMAC still
: available (somewhere ?)

: I believe that there is a FAQ about this subject, could someone mail this

: to me ?
: Any suggestions are welcome. (And no, I don't have enough money for a
: Cyberstorm :/ )

: GReetings, Patrick

If anyone responds to you with the FAQ, I also would like to get it - I
have just bought a 3640 for a 3000T with the old chips in it too, and I
am now looking for the info on how to change the jumpers and any other
pitfalls to expect....

Thanks.

Bob

Chucky

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
s> There is a possibility that I'll get an A3640 board. I've an A3000T with
s> an old Ramsey&DMAC. Will this work ?, If not, are Ramsey&DMAC still
s> available (somewhere ?)

It will work. I got a A3000T with the old Ramsey and DMAC and it works fine.

but you have to add a 74F08 at the empty socket close to the FAST slot.

-
//
\X/John Hertell ? Chu...@Spray.ct.se <-> PROUD Amiga owner since 1987

... WindowError 00E: Window open, do not look in.

Scott Olson

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Machine Gun (j...@cnet.vincennes.in.us) wrote:
> On Wed 5-Jul-1995 11:28a, Scott Olson wrote:
> SO> Rick Thomson (rtho...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> SO> > Is there anything special that needs to be done when installing a Warp
> SO> > 4040 in a 3000T? I hooked the jumper to the CIA and changed the
> SO> > jumpers as they suggested, but all I get is a black screen... any
> SO> > suggestions?
>
> SO> Make certain you've connected the jumper to the correct CIA pin,
> SO> other than that I had no trouble installing a Warp 4033 on my 3000T (once
> SO> I got it seated all the way, that CPU connector is TIGHT!)
>

> Do you have to put a jumper on the wd rev 08 scsi chip??

No, the jumper is only on the CIA. I'm currently using both SCSI
busses in the machine.

> How the built in scsi like the warps scsi 2???

Since the two busses aren't connected, it works fine. I haven't
tried putting both controllers on one bus, but that shouldn't cause too
much trouble either.

Scott

Robert D. Swank

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Chucky (chu...@spray.ct.se) wrote:

: It will work. I got a A3000T with the old Ramsey and DMAC and it works fine.

: but you have to add a 74F08 at the empty socket close to the FAST slot.

^^^^^
Huh? What is this??-----|||||

Bob

Robert D. Swank

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Chucky (chu...@spray.ct.se) wrote:

: It will work. I got a A3000T with the old Ramsey and DMAC and it works fine.

OK, another question - my A3640 came without a heatsink of any kind on
the 68040. Do the cards normally come with this installed, and will I
burn out the 68040, or cause other damage if I run it in an A3000-Tower???

Where is a recommended place to buy the appropriate heatsink or CPU fan
for the 68040? I think I saw some of these babies in a local Computer
shop - I think MEI Micro Center - for an Intel chip - will these work
with the 68040?

Thanks.

Bob

Warren Block

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Robert D. Swank (sw...@cais.cais.com) wrote:
: OK, another question - my A3640 came without a heatsink of any kind on
: the 68040. Do the cards normally come with this installed, and will I
: burn out the 68040, or cause other damage if I run it in an A3000-Tower???

: Where is a recommended place to buy the appropriate heatsink or CPU fan
: for the 68040? I think I saw some of these babies in a local Computer
: shop - I think MEI Micro Center - for an Intel chip - will these work
: with the 68040?

It's probably not a good idea to run without a heatsink. The 68040 is
slightly larger than a 486 and slightly smaller than a Pentium, so the
clip-on heatsink/fans won't fit. Digi-Key sells clip-on heatsinks made
for the 68040, and you can get stick-on fans that work great (see ref
below).

Look in Tips/Processor Cooling...

/* Auto-pointer for the A4000 Hardware Guide */
Whatever you were talking about is discussed in some detail
in the freeware A4000 Hardware Guide, which is available from
your favorite Aminet ftp site. The archive is in the hard/misc
directory, and is called a4khard_v3.lha. Good luck!
/* End of pointer. */

| Warren R. Block * Email to: wbl...@silver.sdsmt.edu |
| Rapid City SD USA * Brought to you in majestic INEMASCOP! |

Chucky

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
>> but you have to add a 74F08 at the empty socket close to the FAST slot.
RDS> ^^^^^ Huh? What is this??-----|||||

A Small standard TTL thingy for a LOOOW cost

-
//
\X/John Hertell ? Chu...@Spray.ct.se <-> PROUD Amiga owner since 1987

... IBM. The toys of a dead generation.

Chucky

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
RDS> OK, another question - my A3640 came without a heatsink of any kind on
RDS> the 68040. Do the cards normally come with this installed, and will I
RDS> burn out the 68040, or cause other damage if I run it in an
RDS> A3000-Tower???

The 3640 comes with a heatsink mounted, You may damage the 040 if you are using
it w/o any kind of cooling.

RDS> Where is a recommended place to buy the appropriate heatsink or CPU
RDS> fan for the 68040? I think I saw some of these babies in a local
RDS> Computer shop - I think MEI Micro Center - for an Intel chip - will
RDS> these work with the 68040?

They will often work, yes. but get one with a real working fan. Some fans on
those things are just rotating providing NO cooling.

I think that the best solution is a heatsink+fan.

-
//
\X/John Hertell ? Chu...@Spray.ct.se <-> PROUD Amiga owner since 1987

... Blow your mind - smoke gunpowder

Juergen Schober

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
Rick Thomson (rtho...@ix.netcom.com) hat geschrieben :

> Is there anything special that needs to be done when installing a Warp
> 4040 in a 3000T? I hooked the jumper to the CIA and changed the
> jumpers as they suggested, but all I get is a black screen... any
> suggestions?

what you have to do is to set the clock to external source I guess:

set J100 3-4 (open)
J104 1-2 (leave it as it is)
J102 2-3

settings are for a A3000 but should also be correct for the A3000T

--
juergen schober
a-graz, austria

Robert D. Swank

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Warren Block (wbl...@silver.sdsmt.edu) wrote:

: clip-on heatsink/fans won't fit. Digi-Key sells clip-on heatsinks made

: for the 68040, and you can get stick-on fans that work great (see ref
: below).

: in the freeware A4000 Hardware Guide, which is available from

: your favorite Aminet ftp site. The archive is in the hard/misc
: directory, and is called a4khard_v3.lha. Good luck!

Warren, this is a great reference guide for the A4000, I'd love to
have something like that for the 3000 and 3000T! Thanks, it gave me the
info I needed to find the Fan. MEI actually carries that model for $20, but
they are out of stock and the sales rep wouldn't tell me when they expect
to get them, so I will try to order one from the manufacturer, I guess.

If I ever try to put this in my desktop 3000 I suspect the fan won't fit
- what is the address or telephone number of Digi-Key, the maker of the
68040 heatsink?

Aahh, here's another goodie I have not seen mentioned anywhere - the
A3640 I got came with the little plastic pins for mounting to the
A4000 motherboard - but guess what - there are no holes in the A3000T
motherboard to receive the pins and one of them is right against a
chip on the motherboard. What have others done to support the A3640
in the 3000/3000T? Will the connector suffice to hold it in place if I
just leave two of the pins off (closest to the connector) and let the card
sit on the ends of the other two pins, at a very slight angle caused by the pins being too long
without holes to fit in???

Well, I did put the card in, changed jumpers J100 and J102, and the
machine booted up nicely - don't know if there will be dma problems until
I get the fan/heatsink and do some serious experimenting, but I am
encouraged - I have 2.04 Kickstart roms, Buster07, Ramsey 04, Dmac 02,
and 12 megs of Fast ram....If dma problems occur, upgrading to 3.1
kickstart eliminates the dma problem (Ramsey + DMAC), right? Even so, I
expect to have to upgrade (both) machines Buster chips soon....

Thanks,

Bob

Bill Boyce

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
In article <3tfp1a$14...@hermes.acs.ryerson.ca>, tsar...@acs.ryerson.ca
says...

>: Rick Thomson (rtho...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>: > Is there anything special that needs to be done when installing a
Warp
>: > 4040 in a 3000T? I hooked the jumper to the CIA and changed the
>: > jumpers as they suggested, but all I get is a black screen... any
>: > suggestions?
>
> Did you only change the jumpers on the 4040? You need to change a
>couple of jumpers on the 3000T just under where the WE sits. Give their
>tech support a call. Got mine working in a couple of minutes...
>
>Regards,
>
>Tashko.

Just finished putting a Warp in a A3000. Wouldn't go until I put a simm
on the Warp engine.
Just a thought.

Bill Boyce

Robert D. Swank

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95

On Mon, 10 Jul 1995, Michael van Elst wrote:

> In comp.sys.amiga.hardware you write:
>
> >Chucky (chu...@spray.ct.se) wrote:
> >: It will work. I got a A3000T with the old Ramsey and DMAC and it works fine.

> >: but you have to add a 74F08 at the empty socket close to the FAST slot.

> > ^^^^^
> >Huh? What is this??-----|||||
>

> That's a fast quad-AND-gate used as clock driver. It is socketed because
> it isn't necessary if a CPU board drives a clock signal to the motherboard
> and removing it increases some timing margins.

OK, so I guess this is a commonly-available chip or component that I can
buy from a local electronica shop?

Who makes it and is this all the electronics shop needs to know to sell
it to me?

Does this correct the deficiency in the DMAC+Ramsey, or
just eliminate the problem they can't deal with???

Thanks,

Bob

Chucky

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
RDS> If anyone responds to you with the FAQ, I also would like to get it -
RDS> I have just bought a 3640 for a 3000T with the old chips in it too,
RDS> and I am now looking for the info on how to change the jumpers and
any
RDS> other pitfalls to expect....

I just checked my jumpers (I was installing yet another 4MB of memory)

This is what I am using on my Tower: (To be added to the FAQ? :))

o o o-o o o o-o
J103 J100 ##
##
7### Jo ## F
4### 1 ## A
F### 0o ## S
Jo 0### 7 ## T
1 8### o ##
0o # # ## S
2| ## L
o Jo ## O
1 ## T
0o ##
o 6| ##
o ##
o ##
| ##
o Jo ##
1 ##
0o ##
5 ##
o ##
##
##

The space where the 74F08 is often EMPTY so you have to add one yourself.

The jumper below J102 seems to be without any mumber, I guess it is J101

J 107 and 105 should be without jumpers, J106 has originally no jumper but
it is needed.

And you MUST have atleast Kickstart 2.04 in ROM (not softbooted) and the
first ZIPP should be PAGEMODE! I have heard that if you have Kickstart 3.1
you can have a Static Column ZIPP in the first socket. but I haven't tried
it.

After doing this you should have a working 3640 in your Amiga 3000Tower.

I'm using a Rev. 3.1 3640 in my Tower, it is equipped with the old Ramsey
and Dmac but Rev. 11 buster (should not be needed here)

-
//
\X/John Hertell ? Chu...@Spray.ct.se <-> PROUD Amiga owner since 1987

... TEXAS VIRUS: Makes sure that it's bigger than any other file.

Chucky

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
>> The space where the 74F08 is often EMPTY so you have to add one yourself.
RDS> Mine is EMPTY - What is this 74F08 and where can I get one? Is this a
RDS> Radio-Shack :-) part???

It should be, I don't know as we doesn't have Radio-Shack here in Sweden. but
it is NO problems whatever to get it here in Sweden and it does not even cost
$1 to buy. (can't understand WHY CBM cutted it out of the computer even if it
is not used in the 030 based towers)

RDS> Right, J106 is without jumper - what does this one do? Is it related
RDS> to whether there is something in 74F08?

Can't remember but I think it have something to do with providing power to the
74F08.

RDS> Thanks - this was a lot of info posted in a most useful manner. This
RDS> really should be added to the FAQ.

Thanx. it was all I needed to get it working. But it took some hours before I
got it right :)

-
//
\X/John Hertell ? Chu...@Spray.ct.se <-> PROUD Amiga owner since 1987

... Variables won't, Constants aren't

Jim Carter

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Bill Boyce (bilb...@iconz.co.nz) wrote:

: Just finished putting a Warp in a A3000. Wouldn't go until I put a simm

: on the Warp engine.
: Just a thought.

: Bill Boyce

Yea, I had the same problem with mine it wouldn't recognise the ram on my
motherboard so I had to buy a Simm.

Jim

Darren Metcalfe

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
mo...@wolfe.net (Jim Carter) wrote:

>Yea, I had the same problem with mine it wouldn't recognise the ram on my
>motherboard so I had to buy a Simm.
>
>Jim

My 3000T/Warp4040 worked with the MB RAM (2chip/4fast) just fine while I
was waiting for some 4x8's to be recycled into a 16MB 72pin. I can now
access all 20MB of fast ram.

--
Darren Metcalfe
down...@teleport.com

Robert D. Swank

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
Chucky (chu...@spray.ct.se) wrote:

: I just checked my jumpers (I was installing yet another 4MB of memory)

: The space where the 74F08 is often EMPTY so you have to add one yourself.

Mine is EMPTY - What is this 74F08 and where can I get one? Is this a

Radio-Shack :-) part???

: The jumper below J102 seems to be without any mumber, I guess it is J101
Yeah, that's what I guessed, and mine is like yours.

: J 107 and 105 should be without jumpers, J106 has originally no jumper but
: it is needed.
Right, J106 is without jumper - what does this one do? Is it related to

whether there is something in 74F08?

: And you MUST have atleast Kickstart 2.04 in ROM (not softbooted) and the

: first ZIPP should be PAGEMODE! I have heard that if you have Kickstart 3.1
: you can have a Static Column ZIPP in the first socket. but I haven't tried
: it.

I have 2.04 ROMS in the tower, but I think I will move the 3.1 roms out
of my desktop 3000 if need be....

: After doing this you should have a working 3640 in your Amiga 3000Tower.

: I'm using a Rev. 3.1 3640 in my Tower, it is equipped with the old Ramsey
: and Dmac but Rev. 11 buster (should not be needed here)

Thanks - this was a lot of info posted in a most useful manner. This

really should be added to the FAQ.

Bob

Robert D. Swank

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
Chucky (chu...@spray.ct.se) wrote:
: >> The space where the 74F08 is often EMPTY so you have to add one yourself.
: RDS> Mine is EMPTY - What is this 74F08 and where can I get one? Is this a
: RDS> Radio-Shack :-) part???

: It should be, I don't know as we doesn't have Radio-Shack here in Sweden. but
: it is NO problems whatever to get it here in Sweden and it does not even cost
: $1 to buy. (can't understand WHY CBM cutted it out of the computer even if it
: is not used in the 030 based towers)

Well, so far I have my Tower and A3640 working fine with WB2.1, 12 megs of
fast ram (I think the previous owner put the dram chip in the first slot as it
looks different from the others), Ramsey 04, Buster 07, DMAC 02.

Radio Shack, the easy store for me to visit, has a 74000 chip that they
call a GATE, and would fit the slot. I will have to check out a real
electronics store for the 74f08, when I have a day off to search. I
still am very unclear what this chip does, as everything seems to be working
without it....?????

Thanks again for your responses.

Bob

Dave Haynie

Jul 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/18/95
In <ftn_2.203.616.0...@spray.ct.se>, chu...@spray.ct.se (Chucky) writes:
> >> The space where the 74F08 is often EMPTY so you have to add one yourself.
> RDS> Mine is EMPTY - What is this 74F08 and where can I get one? Is this a
> RDS> Radio-Shack :-) part???

The 74F08 is a quad AND gate. You don't need this on the A3000T,
unless something is wrong with your "T" (but read on). The empty
socket is for compatibility with the A3000, it's normally not needed.
Radio Shack might have carried an "LS" part (too slow) a few years
ago, maybe even today, but an "F" is fairly unlikely.

>It should be, I don't know as we doesn't have Radio-Shack here in Sweden. but
>it is NO problems whatever to get it here in Sweden and it does not even cost
>$1 to buy. (can't understand WHY CBM cutted it out of the computer even if it
>is not used in the 030 based towers)

The reason is that it's not needed. The A3000T has a different clock
buffer built-in, a 74FCTQ244 or something similar. This has better
signal characteristics than an "F" part, especially for things like
driving clock lines. The 74F08 socket is supplied in case the '040
board was designed to drive the system without any buffers (most could
in the A3000, it's a little less certain in the A3000T). Such a card
would have a shunt block to jumper across the buffer inputs to the
outputs. Since this is removing a buffer delay, some card designs may
possibly work better. This is the same reason the 74F08 on the A3000,
which was used as the clock buffer, was socketed. They could have
socketed the '244, but it wouldn't be compatible with A3000 shunts,
and it's cleaner being surface mounted.

> RDS> Right, J106 is without jumper - what does this one do? Is it related
> RDS> to whether there is something in 74F08?

There are two jumpers related to the '244 buffer, J106 and J107 I
believe. These turn the buffer off, so you can do something with the
74F08 socket. It's a bad idea to have this enabled if anything is in
the '08 socket.

>Thanx. it was all I needed to get it working. But it took some hours before I
>got it right :)

There's one possible reason for using an 'F08. I heard recently of
someone who could only get their A3000T working with the A3640 with
the '08. As it turned out, they had a 74F244, not a 74FCTQ244. My
guess is that the 'F244 was marginal on noise. When replaced with an
'F08, the noise was reduced enough to work, the '08 having less
drive (switching noise is determined by the buffer's output type and
the impedence of the lines being driven). The A3000T's clock paths
are longer than those of the A3000, due both to the larger motherboard
and the fact that all clocks are generated at the CPU slot, rather
than centrally as on the A3000. A shunt block might also work in this
case; in either case, the '244 must be set off (the A3000T manual
tells about these jumpers in more detail).

Dave Haynie | ex-Commodore Engineering | See my first film
Sr. Systems Engineer | Class of '94 | "The Deathbed Vigil"
Scala Inc., US R&D | C= Failure n. See: Greed | in...@iam.com

"It's the little things that kill" -Bush