Login/Password for Unix PC

Wyatt S. Howe

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

Someone gave me an AT&T UNIX PC runing verison 3.51. It seems to run fine
and boots up to a Login prompt. However, I have no way of knowing the
Login/Password. Does anyone know how to defeat the Login/Password during
the boot process? I do not have any operating system disks.

wyatt...@siemenscom.com

Thanks!

Tom Sullivan

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

"Wyatt S. Howe" <wyatt...@siemens.rolm.com> wrote:

>Someone gave me an AT&T UNIX PC runing verison 3.51. It seems to run fine
>and boots up to a Login prompt. However, I have no way of knowing the
>Login/Password. Does anyone know how to defeat the Login/Password during
>the boot process? I do not have any operating system disks.

You should be able to log in as "install", and not be required to
enter a password, unless somebody has changed this. Once you can log
in this way, it should be possible to hack the other user accounts,
but somebody else will have to lead you through that.

Tom Sullivan tsul...@mail.fwi.com

John Lydic

Oct 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/17/96

Wyatt S. Howe wrote:

> Someone gave me an AT&T UNIX PC runing verison 3.51. It seems to run fine
> and boots up to a Login prompt. However, I have no way of knowing the
> Login/Password. Does anyone know how to defeat the Login/Password during
> the boot process? I do not have any operating system disks.

You might try 'install' as the login w/no password

This is a default that some people didn't change after getting the
system running. BTW - Install is a root group

--

ly...@idt.ch.etn.com

***

The Contents of this Message are mine solely and do not necessarily
reflect
the Views of the Eaton Corporation. The Eaton Corporation has not
reviewed
nor approved of this Message. I speak for myself. I am NOT authorized
speak for the Eaton Corporation."

***

Wyatt Howe

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96
> ***Thanks very much. I have had several people suggest this now. Using
install, root, or tutor - all worked.
- Wyatt

Wyatt Howe

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

Tom Sullivan wrote:

> "Wyatt S. Howe" <wyatt...@siemens.rolm.com> wrote:
>
> >Someone gave me an AT&T UNIX PC runing verison 3.51. It seems to run fine
> >and boots up to a Login prompt. However, I have no way of knowing the
> >Login/Password. Does anyone know how to defeat the Login/Password during
> >the boot process? I do not have any operating system disks.
> >
> You should be able to log in as "install", and not be required to
> enter a password, unless somebody has changed this. Once you can log
> in this way, it should be possible to hack the other user accounts,
> but somebody else will have to lead you through that.
>
> Tom Sullivan tsul...@mail.fwi.comTom,
Thanks very much. This worked fine.
- Wyatt

DoN. Nichols

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

In article <3267FC...@worldnet.att.net>,

Wyatt Howe <wyatt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Tom Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> "Wyatt S. Howe" <wyatt...@siemens.rolm.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Someone gave me an AT&T UNIX PC runing verison 3.51. It seems to run fine
>> >and boots up to a Login prompt. However, I have no way of knowing the

[ ... ]

>> You should be able to log in as "install", and not be required to
>> enter a password, unless somebody has changed this. Once you can log
>> in this way, it should be possible to hack the other user accounts,
>> but somebody else will have to lead you through that.
>>
>> Tom Sullivan tsul...@mail.fwi.comTom,
>Thanks very much. This worked fine.

There is a menu entry in "Install's" menus which will let you
change/set the root password.

Good Luck,
DoN.

P.S. I don't know whether I need to mention this or not, but it is not a
good idea to work logged in as "root" unless you have to modify the
system. A mistake can have such widespread consequences when you're
root. :-)

--
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Donald Nichols (DoN.)
Voice Days: (703) 704-2280 | Eves: (703) 938-4564