Software Testing Protest

Ken Ficara

Sep 24, 1993, 9:50:53 AM9/24/93
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEVEN SOFTWARE COMPANIES ADDED TO "WATCH LIST"

New York, NJ, Sept. 24 -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Software
(PETS) announced today that seven more software companies have been
added to the group's "watch list" of companies that regularly practice
software testing.

"There is no need for software to be mistreated in this way so that companies
like these can market new products," said Ken Granola, spokesperson for PETS.
"Alternative methods of testing these products are available."

According to PETS, these companies force software to undergo lengthly
and arduous tests, often without rest for hours or days at a
time. Employees are assigned to "break" the software by any means
necessary, and inside sources report that they often joke about
"torturing" the software.

"It's no joke," said Granola. "Innocent programs, from the day they are
compiled, are cooped up in tiny rooms and 'crashed' for hours on end. They
spend their whole lives on dirty, ill-maintained computers, and are
unceremoniously deleted when they're not needed anymore."

Granola said the software is kept in unsanitary conditions and is infested with
bugs.

"We know alternatives to this horror exist," he said, citing industry giant
Microsoft Corp. as a company that has become extremely successful without
resorting to software testing.

PETS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of software
programs and promoting alternatives to software testing.

-30-

--
Ken Ficara fic...@remus.rutgers.edu
Compu$erve: 71311,1461 / AOL: KENFICARA / Prodigy:(NOT!)

Travis Corcoran

Sep 28, 1993, 2:01:31 PM9/28/93

> According to PETS, these companies force software to undergo lengthly

> and arduous tests..

> "We know alternatives to this horror exist,"

In this day and age, we have the ability to simulate actual software
using animals. It's a scandal that we still perform these inhumane
experiments on code when such an alternative exists.

Of course, so called software "engineers" protest that simulating
large applications and operating systems using billions of mice in
specially constructed mazes representing the hardware is not
practical. While it is true that doing so might cost more, these
protests are due more to trivial financial concerns than to any
actuall inability to perform the simulations...

--
__
TJIC (Travis J.I. Corcoran) Corc...@ICD.teradyne.com

Buy a rifle, encrypt your data, and wait for the Revolution!