How to reverse Enter and Shift-Enter

stpatryck

Nov 1, 2008, 6:03:40 AM11/1/08
Hello Fellow Mathematica Users,

I was wondering if there was a way to make Mathematica evaluate when
hitting Enter alone, and make the cursor go to the next line without
evaluating using Shift-Enter.

Wouldn't that be easier, since we evaluate more often than go to the
next line?

Cheers,
Patrick

Helen Read

Nov 2, 2008, 1:56:02 AM11/2/08

I don't think I evaluate more often than going to the next line,
personally. I tend to write many lines all in one cell, separated by
semi-colons, using Enter for linebreaks.

You can, BTW, use the Enter on the numberpad in place of Shift-Enter.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont

RG

Nov 2, 2008, 1:56:56 AM11/2/08

If you are using normal keyboard (desktop), you can use enter button
on numberpad. BUT HOW ABOUT laptop's keyboard? ANY suggestions
please??? thanks

~RG

Szabolcs Horvát

Nov 2, 2008, 1:57:17 AM11/2/08
stpatryck wrote:
> Hello Fellow Mathematica Users,
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to make Mathematica evaluate when
> hitting Enter alone, and make the cursor go to the next line without
> evaluating using Shift-Enter.

You can do this by editing the

C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\6.0\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\TextResources\Windows\KeyEventTranslations.tr

file (or the corresponding file on your system). Just make a back up
before you modify the file and do not put any extra files in that directory.

> Wouldn't that be easier, since we evaluate more often than go to the
> next line?

No, it would be inconvenient for me. I often use long input
expressions, and break them into lines manually to make them more
readable. (E.g. think about Module[].)

Also note that you can use the keypad enter key to evaluate cells.

Murray Eisenberg

Nov 2, 2008, 1:57:39 AM11/2/08
Get a keyboard whose keys are reprogrammable? (I use a Creative Vision
Technologies "Avant Stellar", which has just such a capability.)

--
Murray Eisenberg mur...@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

DrMajorBob

Nov 3, 2008, 5:25:16 AM11/3/08
Too bad the "Creative Vision" keyboards are so primitive, however, in
their indifference toward human anatomy.

Bobby

--
DrMaj...@longhorns.com

m...@inbox.ru

Nov 3, 2008, 5:27:40 AM11/3/08

Don't know about easier, but it's possible:

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[], NotebookEventActions ->
{"ReturnKeyDown" :>
FrontEndTokenExecute["EvaluateCells"],
{"MenuCommand", "HandleShiftReturn"} :>
FrontEndTokenExecute["Linebreak"]}]