Notebooks location

mante

Jun 10, 2008, 3:42:10 AM6/10/08
Dear all,
I recently upgraded Mathematica (5.2 -> 6.0.1.0) and, because
of compatibility problem, I have to continue using 5.2...
My problem is that both versions share the same -say- "recently loaded
notebooks" list.
Is it possible to have two separate lists (I bet the answer is YESSSS)?
I suspect that one should use *NotebooksMenu*, but this function is
quite ill-documented.
Thanks,
Claude

--
*********************************

Claude Manté

UMR CNRS 6117 LMGEM
http://www.com.univ-mrs.fr/LMGEM/

Centre d'Océanologie de Marseille
Campus de Luminy, Case 901
13288 MARSEILLE Cedex 09
tel : (+33) 491 829 127
fax : (+33) 491 829 119

*********************************

David Park

Jun 10, 2008, 7:14:31 AM6/10/08
Yes, when you upgrade Mathematica, your $UserBaseDirectory and
$BaseDirectory remain the same. What I usually do is have two major folders
there, an Applications folder and a 'Studies' folder that contains all my
notebooks. When I upgraded from 5.2 to 6.0 I just made a copy 'Studies5.2'
of of my existing notebooks. But I never actually go there.

--
David Park
djm...@comcast.net

"mante" <claude...@univmed.fr> wrote in message

> Dear all,
> I recently upgraded Mathematica (5.2 -> 6.0.1.0) and, because
> of compatibility problem, I have to continue using 5.2...
> My problem is that both versions share the same -say- "recently loaded
> notebooks" list.
> Is it possible to have two separate lists (I bet the answer is YESSSS)?
> I suspect that one should use *NotebooksMenu*, but this function is
> quite ill-documented.
> Thanks,
> Claude
>
> --
> *********************************
>

> Claude Mant=E9

> UMR CNRS 6117 LMGEM
> http://www.com.univ-mrs.fr/LMGEM/
>

> Centre d'Oc=E9anologie de Marseille

John Fultz

Jun 11, 2008, 3:17:55 AM6/11/08
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 03:39:35 -0400 (EDT), mante wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I recently upgraded Mathematica (5.2 -> 6.0.1.0) and, because
> of compatibility problem, I have to continue using 5.2...
> My problem is that both versions share the same -say- "recently loaded
> notebooks" list.
> Is it possible to have two separate lists (I bet the answer is YESSSS)?
> I suspect that one should use *NotebooksMenu*, but this function is
> quite ill-documented.
> Thanks,
> Claude

You can force 5.2 and 6.0 to have a completely different set of preferences
which would affect, among other things, the recently opened notebooks menu. In
the Option Inspector, at the global scope, set the option "VersionedPreferences" to True.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfu...@wolfram.com
User Interface Group