C-MOVE vs. C-GET

jte...@crcg.edu

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Hi. I'm a newbie to DICOM and have the following problem:

I want to implement a NT 4.0 C++ client application which connects to a
DICOM server, displays the available patients/studies/images and then
downloads a image from the server and stores it somewhere in memory for
later use.
I want to use the free OFFIS-Dicom-Toolkit (dcmtk) as the
DICOM implementation if possible.

It looks like the easiest way to download the image would be using the
C-GET Service, but it's not supported in dcmtk 3.3.0 and the support in
3.4.0 is "experimental". So the only other possibility might be C-MOVE.
I assume that I have to establish a SCP for the C-MOVE on the client
side.

Now here my questions:
1. Is the C-GET support in dcmtk 3.4.0 stable?
2. Is there a freeware CTN imageserver which runs unter NT 4.0 and
supports C-GET and information queries and displays a lot of debug
information? It seems that there is no public DICOM-PACS server
available on the web...
3. Do all DICOM-PACS servers support C-GET?
4. Does C-MOVE automatically delete the images on the imageserver when
it moves them to my client's SCP?
5. Are there freeware object-oriented implementations of DICOM for
NT4.0/Visual C++ which have higher abstraction objects for queries
and image retrievals?
I've taken a look at DicomObjects from Medical Connections but it's
too expensive and the examples and helpfiles are too much Visual
Basic oriented.

Regards,
Joachim Tesch

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Gmatek

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Have a look to gmatek offering : we have a DicomDir and Dicom Network
browser user interface component (multi-threaded, fast, etc...) which allows
you :

1) to integrate it into your application in less than 2 hours
2) edit and read DicomDir through browse, delete and import
3) query/retrieve or send to dicom servers
4) compress in jpeg lossless or decompress jpeg lossless, lossless rle, jpeg
lossy
5) edit or anonymise patients (create and edit Normalized Patient)
6) customize the DicomDir toolbar to add button-popup menus that calls back
your application.

The browser itself is highly customisable (resizable window, change columns
positions, size and title by the user or the registry). Naturally we provide
a Dicom detailed toolkit with most options implemented.

Lastly it is most cheaper than Dicom objects and run Windows 98 and NT.
Our toolkit is Visual C++ oriented, the easiest way to get full access to
Dicom, we also are moving towards higher level stuff (to be used with visula
basic, visual interdev, etc...) but with some restrictions and slower
performance.

Let me know if interested, you can try it with support for a month for free.

--
Philippe Marzin
GMATEK Informatique

----------

Dee Csipo

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Hi Joachim,

Do not despair. C-Get is nothing but a C-Move to "myself" :-). C-Get is not
widely supported because of this very fact. If you are a regular reader of
this news group you will notice that this subject is discussed on a regular
basis.

Wit the Offis tool kit you can achieve everything you need just by using the
code in the C-MOVE SCU and the Q/R SCPs It is fairly easy to use, and compiles
without a hitch out of the box. As I found out lately you can link with MFC as
a static library if you do not use any of the recompiled headers.

dee
;-D

David Clunie

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Hi

jte...@crcg.edu wrote:

> It looks like the easiest way to download the image would be using the
> C-GET Service, but it's not supported in dcmtk 3.3.0 and the support in
> 3.4.0 is "experimental". So the only other possibility might be C-MOVE.
> I assume that I have to establish a SCP for the C-MOVE on the client
> side.

Very few devices support C-GET and almost all support C-MOVE so I would
recommend forgetting about C-GET altogether.

The history behind this is that most devices support C-STORE as an SCP
already, so they are sitting there waiting for inbound images anyway.

It is a small step to add a C-MOVE SCU to ask for more images to be moved
to oneself to the C-STORE SCP.

This obviously requires two associations and is a different paradigm
to http-like protocols, which is why most web-aware people at first
say why not use C-GET, i.e. just one association ?

Since this is just a coding convenience rather than a fundamental issue
of functionality, I always strongly recommend choosing the more popular
service to maximize interoperability with conventional medical imaging
equipment.

david
--
David A. Clunie mailto:dcl...@idt.net
Director, Medical Imaging Technologies http://idt.net/~dclunie/

Stavros Kostomanolakis

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
> 1. Is the C-GET support in dcmtk 3.4.0 stable?
> 2. Is there a freeware CTN imageserver which runs unter NT 4.0 and
> supports C-GET and information queries and displays a lot of debug
> information? It seems that there is no public DICOM-PACS server
> available on the web...
> 3. Do all DICOM-PACS servers support C-GET?

As far as C-GET vs C-MOVE I aggree with David.

> 4. Does C-MOVE automatically delete the images on the imageserver when
> it moves them to my client's SCP?

No such thing is mentioned in the baseline or extented C-MOVE SCP Behavior.
The matched SOP Intances just "copied" to your C-STORE SCP

> 5. Are there freeware object-oriented implementations of DICOM for
> NT4.0/Visual C++ which have higher abstraction objects for queries
> and image retrievals?
> I've taken a look at DicomObjects from Medical Connections but it's
> too expensive and the examples and helpfiles are too much Visual
> Basic oriented.

Take a look at:

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~zeilinge/pacsview/PACSview.html.

There is a lot of DICOM stuff (source code in C++) based in the public
domain UCDMC DICOM implementation (Runs also in NT40/Visual C++ 6).
There is also an STL based DICOM Implementation, which still make use of
parts of the UCDMC code. This might help you,

Best regards,

--
Stavros Kostomanolakis
Software Engineer,

jte...@crcg.edu

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
First of all many thanks to all of you for the valuable information you
posted concerning my C-MOVE vs C-GET question.

Since I need a NT4.0 DICOM Image Server for testing my client, I'd like
to know what server you would recommend for testing of DICOM client
applications?
I am currently using imagectn from OFFIS but would also like to connect
to a remote public server.

Regards,
Joachim