Effective code walkthroughs

Mark Yoshikawa

Jul 7, 2004, 1:57:40 AM7/7/04
Back in 1998 I posed a question to this group and I received some

<quote on>

I'm not a beginner in programming but not as experienced as most in
this newsgroup...

Can anyone direct me to any online resources that suggest different
methods of doing code walkthroughs?

I'm having a hard time finding it.

Like reading a good book, how can I visualize what is going on in code
(suite of code) that is 100-2000 lines long?

I once thought that I could read code into a spread sheet and use the
other columns to comment line per line would help me or use a spread
sheet to keep track of variables in a given iteration but that becomes
too detailed.

Maybe rewriting the code in English would help?

<quote off>

Thanks to Google Groups for preserving the post!
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mark+yoshikawa&start=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=25697-36322B1B-15%40newsd-113.bryant.webtv.net&rnum=11

I recently purchased "CODE Reading" by Diomidis Spinellis and found it
to be a very useful resource in this regard. Check out
http://www.spinellis.gr/codereading/ for details about the book.

Just wanted to share!
Mark Yoshikawa
cyb...@comcast.net