Pseudo terminal for VMS ???

Michael Listman

Jun 17, 1992, 4:27:58 PM6/17/92

I am looking for a Pseudo Terminal device for VMS. I need a
"terminal" that I can access through a program (instead of a physical
terminal) with the ability to:

- Run detached and communicate with a program.
- Allow raw I/O ($QIO using NOFORMAT)
- Allow setting terminal characteristics

I will be running packaged communications software such as KERMIT
and X/Y/ZMODEM within the process, which expect to be communicating to
a 'real' terminal.

Please let me know how or where I can find such a product.
Thank you in advance for any help or advice.
--
Michael Listman
Internet: mich...@zeus.bony.com | The Bank of New York

geze...@rlgsc.com

Jun 19, 1992, 3:52:49 PM6/19/92
Michael,

Have to checked the pseudoterminal driver (FTDRIVER), which was
added to VMS at V5.4? It should be able to do what you are
describing.

I believe you should find the documentation in the I/O Users
Guide, but be careful, it is new for 5.4. Make sure that your
Gray Wall (docset) is up to date before looking for it. The I/O
Users Guide is also on the CDROM.

When you write your program, remember that you will have to
process all sort of extra "stuff", control characters, line
feeds, carriage returns, etc. when scanning for input information
from the terminal emulator. You may also encounter some problems
if the remote hosts expect the terminal to do certain operations
(or respond to things like IDENTIFY sequences)

I hope that the above is useful.

- Bob
| Robert "Bob" Gezelter E-Mail: geze...@rlgsc.com |
| Robert Gezelter Software Consultant Voice: +1 718 463 1079 |
| 35-20 167th Street, Suite 215 Fax: (on Request) |
| Flushing, New York 11358-1731 |
| United States of America |