Xterm under VMS

Erick "Chivi" Villarreal Galvez

May 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/29/95
Does anybody know a way to display X terminals (not connected to my host)
across the network. I hear something called XDM in UNIX systems; so
when we got an Xterminal emulator, UNIX users can display Xterms via XDM,
and I don't know what command is alike in OpenVMS (or some command in
DECWindows Motif). I'm using UCX to connect my PC'S accross the network
(TCP/IP of course...). I aprecciate some help about this, or if there's
a place fo FAQ about displaying Xterminals, I'd like to know.
Thanks in advance

|----- ^ "" ------- ""
|-- rick /---\lejandro | hivigon
|----- / \ |______
Erick Alejandro Villarreal Galvez Voice: (525)516-9960 EXT.2243
Operations Manager FAX : (525)271-8585
Laboratorio de Computo de Ingenieria (L.C.I.)
E-MAIL : er...@vaxulsa.ulsa.mx
UNIVERSIDAD LA SALLE
Benjamin Franklin 47. Mexico D.F. Zip: 06140

Stephen Hoffman

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95

In article <Pine.SUN.3.90.950529163254.8299A-100000@sunulsa>,
"Erick \"Chivi\" Villarreal Galvez" <er...@sunulsa.ulsa.mx> writes:

:Does anybody know a way to display X terminals (not connected to my host)

:across the network. I hear something called XDM in UNIX systems; so
:when we got an Xterminal emulator, UNIX users can display Xterms via XDM,
:and I don't know what command is alike in OpenVMS (or some command in
:DECWindows Motif). I'm using UCX to connect my PC'S accross the network
:(TCP/IP of course...). I aprecciate some help about this, or if there's
:a place fo FAQ about displaying Xterminals, I'd like to know.

Xdm manages a series of X terminal displays (roughly analogous to a
getty, init, login, setenv), and there is currently no direct OpenVMS
equivilent of Xdm (and no OpenVMS implementation of XDMCP that I am
aware of) -- one ends up using SET HOST, SETHOST, telnet or (better)
task-to-task to implement this sort of thing.

I am not entirely certain I understand what it is that you are trying
to do, but based on your reference to Xdm, I will assume you are trying
to get a remote login, with a display aimed back at the PC X Server:

o you will (obviously) need an X Server package for the PC.
There are various X Server packages available, from Digital
and from various other vendors.

o Under OpenVMS, you will need to know about a couple of
commands:

- SET DISPLAY: this is the DCL equivilent to a setenv
of the DISPLAY environment variable. You will want
to choose a transport available to both the X client
(the OpenVMS host, in this case) and to the X server
(the PC, in this case).

- CREATE/TERMINAL: this creates a DECterm X Windows
terminal emulator, using the result of a prior SET
DISPLAY as the target for the node.

o You will want to look at submitting a batch job, or
invoking a DECnet task-to-task, or issuing the above
commands from a SET HOST, SETHOST, or telnet session
on the OpenVMS host. (This is where XDCMP would come
into play.)

o You will want to be aware that some PC graphics interfaces
and/or some PC X Server packages are pretty slow, and this
slowness can show up in some X Server operations -- one
classic example is scrolling a terminal emulator window.

------------------------------ Opinionative -------------------------------
Stephen Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hof...@xdelta.enet.dec.com

Dan Keizer, Information Systems, Winnipeg

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
> ...and there is currently no direct OpenVMS

> equivilent of Xdm (and no OpenVMS implementation of XDMCP that I am
> aware of) -- one ends up using SET HOST, SETHOST, telnet or (better)
> task-to-task to implement this sort of thing.

I guess DEC itself doesn't provide such an server, but we are currently
running Multinet with the XDM server running and for people who require
DECWindows on their PC's, we use hummingbird's eXceed for windows and
it works nicely with multinet's xdm server ... just as if you're working
from your dec workstation. I'm fairly confident that this is common knowledge
though...

As for graphics speed, if you're using a PC, you *must* use an accelerated
graphics adapter, such as an ATI Mach board of some type etc etc ...
I did a benchmark with an accelerator and without, and the difference turns
an unusable system into a very robust x server.

My $0.02
Dan.
Dan Keizer Federated Insurance Co. of Canada
Dan_K...@Fed-Ins.CA Winnipeg, Manitoba (204) 786-6431
"Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement".
"All opinions are mine ... naturally"

Francesco Filippini

Jun 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/2/95

In article <Pine.SUN.3.90.950529163254.8299A-100000@sunulsa>, "Erick \"Chivi\" Villarreal Galvez" <er...@sunulsa.ulsa.mx> writes:

>Does anybody know a way to display X terminals (not connected to my host)
>across the network. I hear something called XDM in UNIX systems; so
>when we got an Xterminal emulator, UNIX users can display Xterms via XDM,
>and I don't know what command is alike in OpenVMS (or some command in
>DECWindows Motif). I'm using UCX to connect my PC'S accross the network
>(TCP/IP of course...). I aprecciate some help about this, or if there's
>a place fo FAQ about displaying Xterminals, I'd like to know.

>Thanks in advance

If you want an X-session complete on a Open-Vms, commands are :
$ set display/create/node=your_node/transport=tcpip
$ spawn/nowait @sys$manager:decw$startsm
but this need a lot of resources; to spent little resources :
$ set display/create/node=your_node/transport=tcpip
$ cre/terminal=decterm
but in this manner you dont' have a session manager to manage window and icons

Bye . Filippini Francesco