VAX VMS 4.7 distribution available for download

Andy Hoffman

Feb 20, 2019, 10:50:31 PM2/20/19
All,

The VMS 4.7 distribution is now available for download at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipk28nb82dw0w1n/VAXVMS047A%20copy.zip?dl=0

It's a combined 4.6 and 4.7 release as there doesn't appear to have been a standalone 4.7 installation - you need to install 4.6 and upgrade to 4.7.

Also new is a product which I found in the University of Stuttgart archives called CMU-TEK-65. It appears to have a TCPIP stack, sockets and mail exchange software, but also references JNET which may be of interest to some. I have not tried installing or configuring this as it's outside my scope for gathering DEC software.

There are a few dependencies which I haven't be able to find yet, so if anyone knows of where I could source the following products I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know:

LSE & FMS for VMS 4.x
CDD version VT4.0-0

Best regards,

Andy Hoffman.

Fabio Bizzi

Feb 21, 2019, 2:13:13 AM2/21/19
Il 21/02/19 04:50, Andy Hoffman ha scritto:
> All,
>
> The VMS 4.7 distribution is now available for download at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipk28nb82dw0w1n/VAXVMS047A%20copy.zip?dl=0

GREAT!!!! :)

Many thanks!

Ciao.

Fabio.

--
member of the italian hobbyist DECnet network - HOBBIT

Hans Vlems

Feb 21, 2019, 2:22:51 AM2/21/19
Andy
In the testvax.ini file the XU device is set up with an AA-00-04 address. Which ties the ini file to a specific DECnet address. I think it is more flexible to put a hardware address in there (e.g. 08-00-2B-86-50-01)
Hans

Andy Hoffman

Feb 21, 2019, 2:33:35 AM2/21/19
Thanks for the nudge Hans - you are correct and I will change this for future releases.

Best regards,

Andy

John E. Malmberg

Feb 21, 2019, 9:03:16 AM2/21/19
On 2/20/2019 9:50 PM, Andy Hoffman wrote:
> All,
<snip>

> Also new is a product which I found in the University of Stuttgart
> archives called CMU-TEK-65. It appears to have a TCPIP stack,
> sockets and mail exchange software, but also references JNET which
> may be of interest to some. I have not tried installing or
> configuring this as it's outside my scope for gathering DEC
> software.

CMU-IP is an open-source TCP/IP implementation for VAX/VMS up until
VAX/VMS version 5.5-x.

It is not fully available for later versions of OpenVMS that because
some sources for the last set of update patches never got released to
the public by the maintainer before the web-site disappeared.

For VAX/VMS 5.5-4 on one of the DECUS or Freeware distributions is a
shared image that allows the DECRTL to use CMU-IP instead of one of the
other TCP/IP stacks with out having to do special linking.

I do not know if there was a DEC TCP/IP product for that version of VMS,
or what third party products were available, so that may be your best
chance of getting your old VAX reachable by TCP/IP.

Full sources to GCC/VAX also did not make it onto any DECUS archive that
I have found. The GCC.EXE binary on the DECUS tapes can not be built
from the sources supplied.

Regards,
-John

Dr.SysMan

Feb 22, 2019, 6:13:58 AM2/22/19
четверг, 21 февраля 2019 г., 6:50:31 UTC+3 пользователь Andy Hoffman написал:
Torrent (rutracker.org for example, he-he) is more effective way to keep so brilliant stuff available for years.

Andy Hoffman

Feb 22, 2019, 7:57:18 PM2/22/19
Thanks John. We were pretty much a DECnet (thin wire) and serial line interface shop in the days before the Internet. I don't think I looked at TCPIP until the mid 90's when UCX/TCPIP/Multinet/Wollongong were well established. Live and learn!

Scott Dorsey

Feb 23, 2019, 9:22:54 AM2/23/19
Andy Hoffman <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks John. We were pretty much a DECnet (thin wire) and serial line interface shop in the days before the Internet. I don't think I looked at TCPIP until the mid 90's when UCX/TCPIP/Multinet/Wollongong were well established. Live and learn!

I could not get CMU/Tek working reliably when we upgraded to VMS 5.5 and went
to Multinet. It was in all ways wonderful.
--scott

Supratim Sanyal

Feb 23, 2019, 7:26:44 PM2/23/19
Thank you; up and running here. Hard to go wrong with your very helpful
included session log .txt files.

Andy Hoffman

Feb 24, 2019, 5:22:57 AM2/24/19
Thanks Supratim. I’ve found a wealth of information on your website as well for which I’m grateful!

I think there’s just 4.2 and 4.4 left in the series I want to do, and then on to a few V5 installations. I’m leaving
V3,2,1 until later because I think they will be the most difficult.

Best regards,
Andy Hoffman.

Wilm Boerhout

Feb 24, 2019, 3:24:29 PM2/24/19
Andy Hoffman schreef op 24-2-2019 om 11:22:
[ snip]

> I think there’s just 4.2 and 4.4 left in the series I want to do, and then on to a few V5 installations. I’m leaving
> V3,2,1 until later because I think they will be the most difficult.

Thanks for the V4 stuff. My first job at Digital in 1985 was RSTS/E
SYSGENs and later, VMS V3.x to V4 upgrades. Those were the days...

I have VMS V3.0 and V1.0 up and running on simh VAX-11/780. No layered
products though (Fortran compiler?)

DM if you need assistance.

And I have a (real) VAXmate, but am still looking for the network boot
software (PCSA client and server stuff)

/Wilm

Dave Froble

Feb 24, 2019, 5:49:48 PM2/24/19
On 2/24/2019 3:24 PM, Wilm Boerhout wrote:
> Andy Hoffman schreef op 24-2-2019 om 11:22:
> [ snip]
>
>> I think there’s just 4.2 and 4.4 left in the series I want to do, and
>> then on to a few V5 installations. I’m leaving
>> V3,2,1 until later because I think they will be the most difficult.
>>

> Thanks for the V4 stuff. My first job at Digital in 1985 was RSTS/E
> SYSGENs and later, VMS V3.x to V4 upgrades. Those were the days...
>
> I have VMS V3.0 and V1.0 up and running on simh VAX-11/780. No layered
> products though (Fortran compiler?)

Uh, were there any layered products for V1.0?

:-)

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: da...@tsoft-inc.com

abrsvc

Feb 24, 2019, 5:54:59 PM2/24/19
FORTRAN IV at least. I don't recall at the moment what else was publicly available.

Dan

Timothy Stark

Feb 24, 2019, 6:20:04 PM2/24/19
to comp.os.vms to email gateway
Yeah. During my college life, I got computer programming 101 course for computer science majors. I learned how to write Pascal programs.
Professor gave us VAX user accounts for writing Pascal programs. My first system was VMS v3.6 on VAX-11/780 (GALLUA) which have short file names (9.3 characters).

A year later, they shut system down for major upgrades. They introduced new VAX cluster systems that allow us to logging into any system. They had 4 VAX systems - two VAX-11/780s, VAX-11/750 and VAX 8600 systems (GALLUA - GALLUD). When I logged into VAX 8600 (GALLUD) and noticed that system ran faster than others.

With older terminal mux, we only have 2400 baud lines until new DECservers were introduced (now supports 9600 baud lines).

Also they introduced JNet software for BITNET networks. I often use JNet for communications...

There is no TCP/IP stack available for old VMS system until v5.x so that they used only JNET for communication in 1980s and early 1990s.

I was looking for older JNet v1.x and v2.x for VMS v4.x system but can't find them so far. My later JNet v3.x only supports VMS 5.5 or above.

Older JNet v1.x/v2.x has bitnet.doc for programming guide. Later v3.x, it was removed.

Does anyone still have older JNet v1.x and v2.x?

Tim

Andy Hoffman

Mar 2, 2019, 11:40:28 PM3/2/19
Thanks Wim - DM on the way.

Best regards,
Andy.

Timothy Stark

Mar 17, 2019, 2:40:05 PM3/17/19
to comp.os.vms to email gateway
Thanks for providing a copy of VMS 4.7 package. It is now up and
running....

It do not have installation guide for how to install CMU-TEK-65. It just
said that it is not installed on products installation guide.
Does anyone have installation guide for installing CMU-TEK-65?

I tried to install JNET v3.5 on VMS 4.7 but it did not work. It crashed
during set up POSTMASTER account (DCL error).
Does anyone have older JNet (v1 and v2) that support VMS v4.x?

I tried to install RDB and Datatrieve but they crashed that installation
guide did not mention.

Why does VAX C v2.4 fail the IVP tests? Guide said that.

Thanks,
Tim

Supratim Sanyal <"supratim sanyal

Jan 11, 2020, 3:30:19 AM1/11/20
On 03/17/2019 02:34 PM, Timothy Stark wrote:
> I tried to install JNET v3.5 on VMS 4.7 but it did not work. It crashed
> during set up POSTMASTER account (DCL error).

Timothy - did you happen to try installing JNET v3.5 on OpenVMS/VAX 7.3?
Wondering if it works on 7.3.

Regards,
Supratim

Timothy Stark

Jan 11, 2020, 8:05:05 AM1/11/20
to comp.os.vms to email gateway, Supratim Sanyal <"supratim sanyal
Yes, I have JNet 3.5 to 3.7 for VAX and Alpha. JNet 3.7 needs license paks
but 3.5 and 3.6 do not requires paks. Yes it will work on OpenVMS 7.3.

Later I resolved a problem with installation on VMS 4.7. JNet 3.5 will
only work on least VMS v4.4. 3.5 and 3.6 will work on least VMS v5.0.

Tin

Supratim Sanyal <"supratim sanyal

Jan 12, 2020, 1:49:29 AM1/12/20
On 01/11/2020 08:03 AM, Timothy Stark wrote:
> Yes, I have JNet 3.5 to 3.7 for VAX and Alpha. JNet 3.7 needs license paks
> but 3.5 and 3.6 do not requires paks. Yes it will work on OpenVMS 7.3.
>
> Later I resolved a problem with installation on VMS 4.7. JNet 3.5 will
> only work on least VMS v4.4. 3.5 and 3.6 will work on least VMS v5.0.
>
> Tin

Thanks Tim. Reaching out to you directly.

rsey...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2020, 10:27:18 AM1/17/20
Hey Andy,

I'm writing for a new website called LegacyOS. We cover activity in the VMS and HP legacy communities. What are you doing with the 4.7 release? What a testament to VMS. How long ago was 4.7 rolled out?

All the best,
Ron Seybold
LegacyOS.com

Andy Hoffman

Jul 27, 2020, 4:16:05 AM7/27/20
On Sunday, 24 February 2019 07:26:44 UTC+7, Supratim Sanyal wrote:
Hello Supratim,

I'm starting to lookat the VMS 3.x distributions and read your blog on installing CMU-Tek on VMS 4.7. Do you happen to know if CMU 6.3 runs on VMS systems below 4.0? If so, would you kindly point me at the location of the distribution for 6.3?

Best regards,

Andy Hoffman.

Master Dan

Jan 21, 2024, 9:15:15 PMJan 21
Hey Andy

Care to share again the distribution? The Dropbox link is not valid anymore...

Thanks

Dan