Reading UDF CDs

Jack Trachtman

Mar 26, 2001, 12:43:53 PM3/26/01
One of our local government departments, in their strange wisdom, has
shipped me a CD whose directory is in UDF (Universal Directory Format)
format. The reason I know this is because when I mounted it on my PC,
Windows brought up a requestor to install the Adaptec UDF driver (which
I did, and it works).

On VMS though, I can't even mount the disk foreign! I get a "medium is
offline" msg. (This was on an RRD40 and an RRD45. Maybe a newer or
different drive is needed? They used Memorex CD-RW media)

1) How can I mount this disk so VMS can read it?

2) If VMS doesn't understand UDF, how can I mount the CD "foreign" so
that I can write a pgm to read it?

Thanks.

Christopher Smith

Mar 26, 2001, 1:20:33 PM3/26/01

Well, taking the simple approach first, are you sure it isn't a multisession
disk? RRD40 won't read those, I'm sure... Don't know about RRD45, but that
may be the reason you can't mount it foreign.

Regards,

Chris

Christopher Smith, Perl Developer
Amdocs - Champaign, IL

/usr/bin/perl -e '
print((~"\x95\xc4\xe3"^"Just Another Perl Hacker.")."\x08!\n");
'

Paul A. Jacobi

Mar 26, 2001, 5:19:33 PM3/26/01

"Jack Trachtman" <Jack.Tr...@vmmc.org> wrote in message

> 1) How can I mount this disk so VMS can read it?

Try mounting the disk using ISO9660 file systems via $MOUNT/MEDIA=CDROM.
Some UDF disks are backward compatible with ISO9660 format.

> 2) If VMS doesn't understand UDF, how can I mount the CD "foreign" so
> that I can write a pgm to read it?

If all else fails, you can mount the disk /FOREIGN and read the disk. You
can use $DUMP/BLOCK=COUNT=5 display the first 5 blocks on the disk.

Paul A. Jacobi
Compaq Computer Corporation
OpenVMS Systems Group, ZKO3-4/U14
110 Spitbrook Road
Nashua, NH 03062-2698
Email: Paul....@compaq.com

Arne Vajhøj

Mar 27, 2001, 5:35:17 AM3/27/01
to Jack Trachtman

My guess is that the problem is due to it is a CD-RW (and not a CD-R) !

I do not think VMS likes such beasts.

Arne

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-

Mar 27, 2001, 10:37:19 AM3/27/01

To the contrary. I typically burn any first CD on a CD-RW and then check
it out by mounting it on VMS. If all goes well, I then burn CD-R media.
Saves me from making unnecessary beer coasters.

--
VAXman- OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001 VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

city, n., 1. a place where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.

Jim Agnew

Mar 27, 2001, 10:45:55 AM3/27/01
It's a shame those beer coasters don't fly well... the rims need to be heavier... ;-D

Paul Repacholi

Mar 27, 2001, 11:01:12 AM3/27/01
sys...@SendSpamHere.ORG (Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-) writes:

> To the contrary. I typically burn any first CD on a CD-RW and then
> check it out by mounting it on VMS. If all goes well, I then burn
> CD-R media. Saves me from making unnecessary beer coasters.

Good idea! I have one that is not a coaster, but worse; mount and VFY
it, and one of the direcories is corrupted! No error message from
windoze either. I suspect it was a read error that Nero just passed
over...

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

Tim Llewellyn

Mar 27, 2001, 11:51:05 AM3/27/01

"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" wrote:

> To the contrary. I typically burn any first CD on a CD-RW and then check
> it out by mounting it on VMS. If all goes well, I then burn CD-R media.
> Saves me from making unnecessary beer coasters.

ah, then again I can burn CDR's in approx 6 minutes (16 times) whereas erasing
and burning a CDRW at 4 times takes considereably longer.

Disclaimer, I am not burning on VMS and I do have a considereable number of
CDR's that serve no purpose except as beermats. However, those CDR's are
cheap.

--
Tim Llewellyn, OpenVMS Infrastructure, Remarcs Project
MedAS at the BBC, Whiteladies Road, Bristol, UK.

I speak for myself only and my views in no way represent those of
MedAS or the BBC.

Tim Llewellyn

Mar 27, 2001, 11:52:14 AM3/27/01

Jim Agnew wrote:

> It's a shame those beer coasters don't fly well... the rims need to be heavier... ;-D

Did you try blu-tacking a couple together. I wouldn't call it flying but they do go further.
But watch out, it could be construed tro be a weapon.

:-)

Dan O'Reilly

Mar 27, 2001, 4:03:21 PM3/27/01
At 09:52 AM 3/27/2001, Tim Llewellyn wrote:

>Jim Agnew wrote:
>
> > It's a shame those beer coasters don't fly well... the rims need to be
> heavier... ;-D
>
>Did you try blu-tacking a couple together. I wouldn't call it flying but
>they do go further.
>But watch out, it could be construed tro be a weapon.

A *REALLY* cool thing is to stick one in a microwave and turn it on. You
get the most interesting pattern of sparks and "lightning bolts" from the
media. Don't do it for more than a second or so, and use your neighbor's
microwave instead of your own, even though I've never seen one damaged by
this <grin>.

------
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Dan O'Reilly | |
| Principal Engineer | "Why should I care about posterity? |
| Process Software | What's posterity ever done for me?" |
| http://www.process.com | -- Groucho Marx |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

Andy Stoffel

Mar 27, 2001, 4:15:46 PM3/27/01

"Tim Llewellyn" <tim.ll...@bbc.co.uk> wrote in message

> Disclaimer, I am not burning on VMS and I do have a considereable
number of
> CDR's that serve no purpose except as beermats. However, those CDR's
are
> cheap.

One of the notable "benefits" of Compaq's OpenVMS/ASE certification
program
is a regular & plentiful supply of CD's from Compaq of assorted items
(diagnostic, etc.) for their entire line of Intel based PC's. (Unless
I'm
getting them for a completely different reason that escapes me.)

-Andy-

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-

Mar 27, 2001, 5:02:18 PM3/27/01
In article <3AC0C4F9...@bbc.co.uk>, Tim Llewellyn <tim.ll...@bbc.co.uk> writes:

>"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" wrote:
>

>> To the contrary. I typically burn any first CD on a CD-RW and then check
>> it out by mounting it on VMS. If all goes well, I then burn CD-R media.
>> Saves me from making unnecessary beer coasters.
>>

>ah, then again I can burn CDR's in approx 6 minutes (16 times) whereas erasing
>and burning a CDRW at 4 times takes considereably longer.

A fast erase is all that's needed.

The point was that you can burn and read CD-RWs on VMS.

Richard Jordan

Mar 27, 2001, 5:19:18 PM3/27/01
> My guess is that the problem is due to it is a CD-RW (and not a CD-R) !

I hae an RRD40 at work; it cannot read CD-R or CD-RW of any kind (though
it came close with a TDK CD-R a couple times). RRD43 and RRD45 both read
CD-R OK, but I have had sporadic problems reading CD-RWs on the RRD45,
created on my own Yamaha 6416 drive and several different units at work.
The RRD43 is very unreliable with CD-RWs.

If you have a CD lens cleaner, try cleaning your RRD45, else see if you
have something newer you can try; RRD45s are 4x drives and 1994-1995
vintage.

Rich Jordan
rjo...@mcs.net

Roy Omond

Mar 27, 2001, 12:14:42 PM3/27/01

If you can't even mount the CD /foreign, then perhaps it's in 2048-byte
sector mode ? VMS (without some Glenn-hacked-driver) only wants to deal
with 512-byte sector CDs.

Roy Omond
Blue Bubble Ltd.

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-

Mar 27, 2001, 7:07:26 PM3/27/01

Not true. They're all 2048 sectors. I'd bet that the problem is that the
CD-RW simply can't be read by the CDrom drive model on his machine. I've
been able to read Ricoh CD-RWs on an RRD45 but not as much luck with other
CD-RW brands. I've been able to read any CD-RW media I've been handed on
a RRD46.

Alan Greig

Mar 28, 2001, 3:26:40 AM3/28/01
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 22:02:18 GMT, sys...@SendSpamHere.ORG (Brian
Schenkenberger, VAXman-) wrote:

>In article <3AC0C4F9...@bbc.co.uk>, Tim Llewellyn <tim.ll...@bbc.co.uk> writes:
>>

>>"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" wrote:
>>

>>> To the contrary. I typically burn any first CD on a CD-RW and then check
>>> it out by mounting it on VMS. If all goes well, I then burn CD-R media.
>>> Saves me from making unnecessary beer coasters.
>>>

>>ah, then again I can burn CDR's in approx 6 minutes (16 times) whereas erasing
>>and burning a CDRW at 4 times takes considereably longer.
>
>A fast erase is all that's needed.

You want fast erase? Just stick it in a microwave oven. If anyone
hasn't tried putting a CD in a microwave it's well worth it. Don't
blame me if anything blows up though.

>The point was that you can burn and read CD-RWs on VMS.

--
Alan

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-

Mar 28, 2001, 5:17:30 AM3/28/01

I've done that quite often. It's a great way to destroy CDs with data
that I want to protect. The noxious smells, though, are enough to war-
rent that you take the microwave to the out of doors prior to doing so.

Gotfryd Smolik, VMS lists

Mar 28, 2001, 5:23:21 AM3/28/01
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Arne [iso-8859-1] Vajhřj wrote:

+Jack Trachtman wrote:
[...]
+> On VMS though, I can't even mount the disk foreign!
[...]
+My guess is that the problem is due to it is a CD-RW (and not a CD-R) !
+
+I do not think VMS likes such beasts.

Umhm, VMS likes any CD-RW: only some CD-ROM can't read
CD-RW :( What VMS doesn't like - is some type of CD-readers !
Have one... console boots, if the VMS driver is loaded device
goes offline. Under VMS MOUNT doesn't work :(

Regards - Gotfryd

$ ON F$ERROR("LANGUAGE","ENGLISH","IN_MESSAGE").GT.F$ERROR("NORMAL") -
THEN EXCUSE/OBJECT=ME
$! G...@stanpol.zabrze.pl

Gotfryd Smolik, VMS lists

Mar 28, 2001, 5:29:46 AM3/28/01
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Roy Omond wrote:
[...]
+If you can't even mount the CD /foreign, then perhaps it's in 2048-byte
+sector mode ? VMS (without some Glenn-hacked-driver) only wants to deal
+with 512-byte sector CDs.

You probably right, only in improper place ;) !

Even if I am not sure if CD-ROMs at all are will work as 512b mode
(a disk - really, must be switched to 512) then the problem is
not related to sectors on CD: the "used data" are always saved
in 2kB sectors ! "Raw read" (as for audio mode) allows reading
whole sector something like 2138 bytes (correction welcome) but
that still has nothing to 512 byte sectors...

Even if the device may operate in 512b mode (I am *think*: not)
that has nothing to the datastructure on the plate :)

Jim Agnew

Mar 28, 2001, 9:03:24 AM3/28/01
to tim.ll...@bbc.co.uk
if you make it thicker, the edges get blunter, unless one sharpens them!!!

jim

Tim Llewellyn

Mar 28, 2001, 9:42:26 AM3/28/01

Jim Agnew wrote:

> if you make it thicker, the edges get blunter, unless one sharpens them!!!

however, as a double is heavier, it can actually be propelled with more velocity.
Blunt instrument of course, but I suspect still quite nasty in the wrong hands.