[9fans] reverse search direction in p9p acme

Mathieu Lonjaret

Sep 18, 2011, 9:24:21 AM9/18/11

in case anyone's interested:

https://bitbucket.org/mpl/acme-with-easy-backwards-search

Cheers,
Mathieu

dexen deVries

Sep 18, 2011, 9:29:31 AM9/18/11
On Sunday 18 September 2011 15:21:34 Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
> in case anyone's interested:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/mpl/acme-with-easy-backwards-search

Error
You do not have access to this repository.

--
dexen deVries

> It's called trolling. It's been done since there were bangs in people's
email addresses.

thaumaturgy, on HN

Mathieu Lonjaret

Sep 18, 2011, 9:33:49 AM9/18/11
Ah thanks, I always forget private is the default in bitbucket.
better now?

dexen deVries

Sep 18, 2011, 9:57:55 AM9/18/11
On Sunday 18 September 2011 15:32:27 Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
> Ah thanks, I always forget private is the default in bitbucket.
> better now?

yep.

you commited only the final version; it'd be easier to read if you commited
first vanilla and then your changes.

please explain: how's your Rev command better than searching via :-/REGEX? Is
Rev the equivalent of Look?

Mathieu Lonjaret

Sep 18, 2011, 10:20:45 AM9/18/11
As the description says:
"I found I want to quickly look for something upwards often enough
that it was getting annoying to have to type :-/ or :? everytime. With
this I just have to exec Rev in the tag bar to reverse the search
direction."
Furthermore, with :-/foobar, you have to go back with your mouse to
the tag bar where you typed this for every subsequent search.

dexen deVries

Sep 18, 2011, 10:31:44 AM9/18/11
On Sunday 18 September 2011 16:19:28 Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
> As the description says:
> "I found I want to quickly look for something upwards often enough
> that it was getting annoying to have to type :-/ or :? everytime. With
> this I just have to exec Rev in the tag bar to reverse the search
> direction."

missed that one, thanks. looks good.

> Furthermore, with :-/foobar, you have to go back with your mouse to
> the tag bar where you typed this for every subsequent search.

that depends. if you first select the whole :-/REGEX with left mouse button
and then right-click, the cursor remains over the expression and you don't
have to return to the tag bar.

Mathieu Lonjaret

Sep 18, 2011, 10:54:07 AM9/18/11
On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 4:30 PM, dexen deVries <dexen....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 September 2011 16:19:28 Mathieu Lonjaret wrote:
>> As the description says:
>> "I found I want to quickly look for something upwards often enough
>> that it was getting annoying to have to type :-/ or :? everytime. With
>> this I just have to exec Rev in the tag bar to reverse the search
>> direction."
>
> missed that one, thanks. looks good.
>

>> Furthermore, with :-/foobar, you have to go back with your mouse to
>> the tag bar where you typed this for every subsequent search.
>
> that depends. if you first select the whole :-/REGEX with left mouse button
> and then right-click, the cursor remains over the expression and you don't
> have to return to the tag bar.

Ah, yes. scratch my last remark then.

Peter A. Cejchan

Sep 19, 2011, 4:04:00 AM9/19/11
would it run on native plan9, too?
thanks, peter, aka
++pac

Mathieu Lonjaret

Sep 19, 2011, 4:21:11 AM9/19/11
I haven't tried, but I don't see why not.

roger peppe

Sep 19, 2011, 4:39:39 AM9/19/11
i'm not sure about adding more invisible state to acme
windows.

i've sometimes imagined a version of acme where shift-right-click
would reverse the search. no way of implementing it under
plan 9 itself though.

dexen deVries

Sep 19, 2011, 5:14:57 AM9/19/11
On Monday 19 of September 2011 10:37:54 roger peppe wrote:
> i'm not sure about adding more invisible state to acme
> windows.

if `hidden' is the keyword, then let's have some new files in acme's control
file hierarchy for various bits of state.

aside of Rev, also paths from the Include command, the `dirty bit' that affects
behavior of Del, Delcol, and Exit, and any other elements of hidden state. a
few new files per window.

privately i think the Rev command is redundant, but meh.

--
dexen deVries

[[[↓][→]]]

For example, if the first thing in the file is:
<?kzy irefvba="1.0" rapbqvat="ebg13"?>
an XML parser will recognize that the document is stored in the traditional
ROT13 encoding.

(( Joe English, http://www.flightlab.com/~joe/sgml/faq-not.txt ))

Mathieu Lonjaret

Sep 19, 2011, 5:16:00 AM9/19/11
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM, roger peppe <rogp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm not sure about adding more invisible state to acme
> windows.

Well I needed to do that in a hurry, but I'll gladly reimplement it
later better if you have a nice suggestion.

> i've sometimes imagined a version of acme where shift-right-click
> would reverse the search. no way of implementing it under
> plan 9 itself though.

Yeah my first idea was with ctrl+right click but I figured it was
easier/faster to just add it as a text command.

yy

Sep 19, 2011, 5:36:04 AM9/19/11
2011/9/19 roger peppe <rogp...@gmail.com>:
> i've sometimes imagined a version of acme where shift-right-click
> would reverse the search. no way of implementing it under
> plan 9 itself though.

Another option is to use a right-click on Look to search backwards.
Then, you will need a workaround to look for Look, but I guess you can
live with that. The exception is not pretty, but it could be
convenient.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

roger peppe

Sep 19, 2011, 5:36:20 AM9/19/11
On 19 September 2011 09:55, dexen deVries <dexen....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 19 of September 2011 10:37:54 roger peppe wrote:
>> i'm not sure about adding more invisible state to acme
>> windows.
>
> if `hidden' is the keyword, then let's have some new files in acme's control
> file hierarchy for various  bits of state.

making the state available to programs doesn't really cut it for me.
for it to be useful in moment-to-moment interactions with acme,
it must be visible on screen, in the same way that the dirty
bit has the top left indicator (well, mostly).

> privately i think the Rev command is redundant, but meh.

well, i've gone all these years without it, so it is redundant in that
sense, but it still feels a bit awkward when browsing a large file
and right clicking one-too-many times, that i have to copy the
text to the tag, insert :-/, reselect and/or quote metacharacters,
and click. it's a sequence i often get slightly wrong too
by getting the selection slightly out.

a single-click reverse search would quickly internalise and be
very useful i think. the difficulty is coming up with the right way of
doing it.

Rob Pike

Sep 19, 2011, 10:52:59 AM9/19/11
Maybe a chorded 3-1 click (not 1-3).

-rob

roger peppe

Sep 19, 2011, 12:16:46 PM9/19/11
On 19 September 2011 15:50, Rob Pike <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe a chorded 3-1 click (not 1-3).

+1
3-2 and 3-1 both do the same thing currently AFAIK,
so one could go.

Rob Pike

Sep 19, 2011, 2:19:31 PM9/19/11
i don't think either does anything.

-rob

erik quanstrom

Sep 19, 2011, 2:21:05 PM9/19/11
On Mon Sep 19 14:19:02 EDT 2011, rob...@gmail.com wrote:
> i don't think either does anything.

in rio, b3 gives you a menu.

- erik

roger peppe

Sep 20, 2011, 4:01:43 AM9/20/11
On 19 September 2011 19:17, Rob Pike <rob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i don't think either does anything.

indeed, but it's a useful nothing - they cancel an impending b3 action,
useful if you're sweeping with b3 and started in the wrong place.

Rob Pike

Sep 20, 2011, 10:24:57 AM9/20/11
rio doesn't have button 3 search. acme does.

-rob

Yaroslav

Sep 23, 2011, 9:53:37 AM9/23/11
> rio doesn't have button 3 search. acme does.

been missing a search in rio few times...

Christian Neukirchen

Sep 26, 2011, 4:59:41 AM9/26/11
yar...@gmail.com (Yaroslav) writes:

>> rio doesn't have button 3 search. acme does.
>
> been missing a search in rio few times...

Old (pre-p9p) 9terms had it, in the menu as "fwd" and "bkwd".

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneuk...@gmail.com> http://chneukirchen.org

Steve Simon

Sep 26, 2011, 6:02:02 AM9/26/11
I do miss this on plan9 from time-to-time.

-Steve