system files setings

Mahesh Sarde MCSE , MCP.

Oct 21, 2001, 5:32:30 AM10/21/01
Hi!
I am in search for a site which gives a detailed info for editing
system files like autoexec.bat,config.sys,command.com,system.ini,msdos.sys
etc which twicks system performance
Have any idea!!!

please reply on e-mail also

William Allen

Oct 21, 2001, 11:02:32 AM10/21/01

In autoexec.bat and config.sys, I find it useful to set up for
full Code Page switching. For general instructions, see post:
From: "William Allen"
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch
Subject: Re: The |
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:09:06 +0100

In autoexec.bat, DosKey is useful. Load with a line something like:

:: Load doskey, handy if any DOSsing around is required
LH doskey /bufsize:1024 /line:255 /insert> NUL

In autoexec.bat, worthwhile setting Typematic rate up and
auto-repeat delay down, with a line something like this:

:: Select cursor rate and delay
mode con rate=32 delay=1

In config.sys, worthwhile increasing default Environment space
and default line length (Windows 95/98), something like this:

; 4096 bytes environment space; 255 chararacter command line,
; and internal command line length of 1024 characters
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\command.com C:\WINDOWS /e:4096 /p /u:255 /l:1024

Adjust path to command.com to suit your installation. For command.com
switches available to you, type command /?

In System.ini, you might consider increasing VMM high-loading
in V86 mode DOS operations. This releases slightly more sub 640K
memory for DOS operations in the GUI.

[386Enh]
LocalLoadHigh=1

But see the comments about possible conflicts in Note 1 below

MSDOS.SYS settings that you can change include:
;AutoScan=<Number>
;After a bad shutdown:
;0=Do not run ScanDisk
;1=run ScanDisk with prompts (Default)
;2=run ScanDisk without prompts

;BootDelay=n
;Set initial startup delay to n seconds.
;0=disable delay
;Allows time to press F8 after Starting Windows message

;BootSafe=<boolean>
;0=disable automatic safe mode (Default)
;1=enable Safe Mode for system startup
;Note: often erroneously given as BootFailSafe
;owing to error in Windows 95 Resource Kit

;BootGUI=<boolean>
;0=boot into Dos 7
;1=boot into Windows 95 GUI (Default)

;BootKeys=<boolean>
;Enables/disables startup option keys (F5, F6, and F8).
;0=disable startup keys (overrides Bootdelay setting)
;1=enable startup keys

;BootMenu=<boolean>
;Enable/disable automatic display of the Windows 95 Startup menu
;0=press F8 to see menu (Default)
;1=always display menu

;BootMenuDefault=n
;Sets the default menu item on Startup menu to n
;Defaults:
;1 if the system is running correctly
;3 if the system hung in the previous instance

;BootMenuDelay=n
;Number of seconds to display Startup menu before running default item
;Default=30
;Note: not functional unless used with BootMenu=1

;BootMulti=<boolean>
;Enables/disables dual-boot capabilities
;0=disables multi-boot option (Default)
;1=enable ability to start MS-DOS by pressing F4
;or by pressing F8 to use the Windows Startup menu.

;BootWarn=<boolean>
;0=disable Safe Mode warning
;1=enable Safe Mode startup warning and Startup menu (Default)

;BootWin=<boolean>
;0=disable Windows 95 as default operating system
;1=load Windows 95 as default operating system (Default)
;this is useful only with MS-DOS version 5 or 6.x on the computer
;NOTE: Pressing F4 inverts the default only if BootMulti=1
;(eg, pressing F4 with BootWin=0 forces Windows 95 to load)

;DoubleBuffer=<boolean>
;Enable/disable loading of double-buffering driver for SCSI controller
;0=disable double-buffering (Default)
;1=enable double-buffering only for a controller that needs it
;2=enable double-buffering whether the controller needs it or not.

;DblSpace=<boolean>
;0=disable automatic loading of DBLSPACE.BIN
;1=enable automatic loading of DBLSPACE.BIN (Default)

;DrvSpace=<boolean>
;0=disable automatic loading of DRVSPACE.BIN
;1=enable automatic loading of DRVSPACE.BIN (Default)
;Note: Windows 95 uses Dblspace.bin or Drvspace.bin if either is
;present in the root folder of boot drive at startup
;To prevent loading at startup, use both settings:
;DBLSpace=0
;DRVSpace=0

;LoadTop=<boolean>
;0=Do not allow COMMAND.COM or DRVSPACE.BIN at the top of 640K memory
;1=Load COMMAND.COM or DRVSPACE.BIN at the top of 640K memory (Default)
;Set 0 with Novell NetWare or other software that makes
;assumptions about what is used in specific memory areas

;Logo=<boolean>
;0=do not display the animated logo during startup
;1=display the animated logo during startup (Default)
;Setting to 0 avoids hooking interrupts that may create
;incompatibilities with some non-Microsoft memory managers

;Network=<boolean>
;0=Network not installed
;1=Network installed, enable Safe Mode With Network Support as menu option
;Default=1 if networking is installed
;Should be 0 if network software components are not installed

Undocumented MSDOS.SYS Setting of minus 1 for DisableLog
DisableLog=-1

This toggles the logic of this undocumented switch and
forces BootLogging automatically during the Boot process
(Discovered by poster "Spike" in uk.comp.os.win95 in June 2000)

--
William Allen

Note 1
Possible conflicts from LocalLoadHigh=1 included in note in post
From: "William Allen"
Newsgroups: alt.msdos.batch
Subject: Re: dos window does not close after batch command to exit
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:02:58 +0100

You can read old Usenet posts at:

Note: Google search by Message-ID is usually the quickest.
The Message-ID is the identifier in the <angle> brackets.
Simply cut-and-paste the Message-ID into Google page above.

Outsider

Oct 21, 2001, 11:31:02 AM10/21/01

http://members.aol.com/axcel216/msdos.htm
Windows 95/98/ME Complete MSDOS.SYS Reference

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q118/5/79.asp
Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File

If you really want to gain control of your system, see this article:

<3BD04DC3...@yahoo.com>

Paste the above in the message ID field on this page and hit search:

<!-Outsider//->
MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Netscape Communicator 4.08
You may not want to be my friend, but you don't have to be my enemy.

Charles Dye

Oct 21, 2001, 1:00:16 PM10/21/01
On 21 Oct 2001 02:32:30 -0700, mahes...@yahoo.com (Mahesh Sarde
MCSE , MCP.) wrote:

>Hi!
> I am in search for a site which gives a detailed info for editing
>system files like autoexec.bat,config.sys,command.com,system.ini,msdos.sys
>etc which twicks system performance

The third file in your list was probably just an innocent goof, but in
case it wasn't: you don't want to edit COMMAND.COM unless you
really, really know what you're doing. It's a binary file, not a text
file, and changing it without screwing up your system requires a
certain amount of specialized knowledge.

That said, it can be instructive to open up COMMAND.COM with a
text editor and snoop around, *without* changing anything. The DOS
editor which ships with Windows 98 is good for this sort of thing:

edit /77 /r c:\windows\command.com

Some of the interesting things you may spot inside COMMAND.COM
include: a long list of error messages; the complete list of all
internal commands, including a few undocumented ones; the names
of all the environment variables that COMMAND.COM is interested in;
the names of batch files which COMMAND might autorun (Huh, what's
KAUTOEXE.BAT?) and Microsoft's copyright message, which informs
us that "MS-DOS Version 7" is licensed material.

--
Charles Dye ras...@highfiber.com

Matthias Paul

Oct 25, 2001, 5:09:29 PM10/25/01
On 2001-10-21, Charles Dye asked:

> (Huh, what's KAUTOEXE.BAT?)

This is a special case in Korean MS-DOS/PC DOS 4.01+.
It is still present in MS-DOS 7.10 (Windows 98SE, I´m
not sure about 8.0 aka ME), but it vanished in PC DOS 7/2000.

If the current country code is 82 *and* no /P:filename
was specified *and* no default AUTOEXEC.BAT file was
found, COMMAND.COM will instead execute a file named
KAUTOEXE.BAT, if it exists. Presumably, this is used
to ensure that the DBCS frontend drivers are loaded
without properly set up CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT files.

Matthias

--

Matthias Paul, Ubierstrasse 28, D-50321 Bruehl, Germany
<mailto:Matthi...@post.rwth-aachen.de>; <mailto:mp...@drdos.org>

Kenneth Brody

Oct 25, 2001, 9:09:21 PM10/25/01
Matthias Paul wrote:

> On 2001-10-21, Charles Dye asked:
>
> > (Huh, what's KAUTOEXE.BAT?)
>
> This is a special case in Korean MS-DOS/PC DOS 4.01+.
> It is still present in MS-DOS 7.10 (Windows 98SE, I´m
> not sure about 8.0 aka ME), but it vanished in PC DOS 7/2000.
[...]

Windows Me's command.com (which, BTW, has system and hidden attributes
set) includes the string ":\KAUTOEXE.BAT" right next to the string
":\AUTOEXEC.BAT", just as Windows 98's does.

--

| Kenneth | kenb...@bestweb.net | "The opinions expressed |