Windows 95 - flop

Donald Colin Crisp

Oct 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/24/95
I installed windows 95 and I am not happy that it has 'taken
over' everything on my computer, I can't get at DOS now only
through windows, I can't access all my games now because it
has decided it doesn't like my mouse. I am thinking about
taking it off. It is far too arrogant - anyone agree ?

John Gist

Oct 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/25/95

Why can you get to DOS only through windows? Im set up to boot into DOS,
only going to windows if I choose by typing win.

Louis Fegan

Oct 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/26/95
>I installed windows 95 and I am not happy that it has 'taken
>over' everything on my computer,

Yeah, it pretty much runs the show; doesn't bother me though.

>I can't get at DOS now only through windows,

You can boot straight to DOS (or CLI, take your pick) by setting
bootgui=0 in your MSDOS.SYS. You can also set bootmenu=1 and it
will give you the option of starting several ways, including DOS(CLI),
however, that is the hard way. An easier way to do the same thing,
is to download Tweak UI from the Powertoys home page;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/software/powertoy.htm

It is a very useful program that among other things, will allow you to
select the bootgui and bootmenu options from the Control Panal.

>I can't access all my games now because it has decided it doesn't like
>my mouse. I am thinking about taking it off.

Try booting to the command line, and loading your mouse from there before
you play the game, even my most stubborn games work this way.

>It is far too arrogant - anyone agree ?

You really don't need anyone elses permission, but I think you should stick
it out, unless you really hate it. Your call.

Good Luck
LMF

Matthew N. Kleiman

Oct 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/27/95
Donald Colin Crisp (don...@ksc5.th.com) wrote:
: I installed windows 95 and I am not happy that it has 'taken
: over' everything on my computer, I can't get at DOS now only
: through windows, I can't access all my games now because it

: has decided it doesn't like my mouse. I am thinking about
: taking it off. It is far too arrogant - anyone agree ?

Yeah, I hate it when I install an operating system and it takes over the
whole computer...DOH!