Anyone knows what's a 32 pin simms ?

瀏覽次數:25 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Hong Siang Teo

未讀,
1995年10月30日 凌晨3:00:001995/10/30
收件者:
Yes, they are 32 pins simms, as opposed to 30 pin or 72 pin simms. There are
clearly 32 contacts at the edge. Are these compatible with 30 pin simms ? If
not, on what platform are they used ?

Help please. I have four of these, and don't know what to do with them.

Hong Siang.
(PS> I know this is not the correct newsgroup to post this question. But with
1000+ articles per day, this is definitely a widely read newsgroup. I'm just
hoping for a quick help )

TEO HONG SIANG | standard disclaimers apply...
| ...unless specified otherwise
3rd Year |
Information Systems Engineering |email: h...@doc.ic.ac.uk
London Imperial College |WWW: http://www-students.doc.ic.ac.uk:80/~hst

Curt

未讀,
1995年10月31日 凌晨3:00:001995/10/31
收件者:
Tim Puffett <T...@puffett.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <472lom$9...@frigate.doc.ic.ac.uk>

> h...@doc.ic.ac.uk "Hong Siang Teo" writes:

> > Yes, they are 32 pins simms, as opposed to 30 pin or 72 pin simms. There are
> > clearly 32 contacts at the edge. Are these compatible with 30 pin simms ? If
> > not, on what platform are they used ?
> >

> Yes, I too have seen these. They seemed to have no actual connection to
> the extra pins, and they did work fine in standard 30pin sockets.
> Goodness knows what platform they could be from, especially if the extra
> pins dont go anywhere!

Some "almost standard" PC's use them...my guess was to force buyers to
buy special memory at a premium price. Unisys PC's had 32 pin memory.

One guy told me they wouldn't work in his machine; another guy told me
they will work in most PC's. Maybe the one guy had a funny socket
that wouldn't take the simms, or maybe he was putting them in
backward.

Curt...

******** Curt's High Speed Modem Page: **********
http://www.teleport.com/~curt/modems.html

Warrl kyree Tale'sedrin

未讀,
1995年11月4日 凌晨3:00:001995/11/4
收件者:
Hong Siang Teo <h...@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:

>Yes, they are 32 pins simms, as opposed to 30 pin or 72 pin simms. There are
>clearly 32 contacts at the edge. Are these compatible with 30 pin simms ? If
>not, on what platform are they used ?

>Help please. I have four of these, and don't know what to do with them.

Do you know where they came from? I know that Compaq for a while was
doing *something* nonstandard with its memory SIMMS, which meant that
non-Compaq memory couldn't be used in Compaqs and vice versa (of
course third-party memory manufacturers soon produced a special line;
what was even more annoying was that Compaq used the same part number
for parity and non-parity memory).

Jeffrey R. Broido

未讀,
1995年11月5日 凌晨3:00:001995/11/5
收件者:
wa...@blarg.net (Warrl kyree Tale'sedrin) wrote:

>... I know that Compaq for a while was doing *something* nonstandard
>with its memory SIMMS ...

Yes, and when they did my friend had to pay $80 for a 1Mb SIMM for his
Compaq when the going rate was about $27 for a normal one. That's the
main reason I don't advise buying name brand computers.
Jeffrey R. Broido "No Statements Flagged
Morristown, NJ in this Assembly."

Brian T. Riley

未讀,
1995年11月5日 凌晨3:00:001995/11/5
收件者:
In article <47ggdi$u...@guysmiley.blarg.net>, wa...@blarg.net says...

One thing you can do is have them converted to 30 or 72 pin. There is a company
that advertises this process in the back of either Windows Mag or PC Mag.

Brian T. Riley

Jeff Pitsch

未讀,
1995年11月6日 凌晨3:00:001995/11/6
收件者:
In <309cdcac...@news.gti.net> bro...@gti.net (Jeffrey R. Broido)
writes:

>wa...@blarg.net (Warrl kyree Tale'sedrin) wrote:
>
>>... I know that Compaq for a while was doing *something* nonstandard

>>with its memory SIMMS ...
>
>Yes, and when they did my friend had to pay $80 for a 1Mb SIMM for his
>Compaq when the going rate was about $27 for a normal one. That's the
>main reason I don't advise buying name brand computers.
>Jeffrey R. Broido "No Statements Flagged
>Morristown, NJ in this Assembly."

Where are you getting SIMMS for $27 a meg?????

Jeff Pitsch

Steve Austin

未讀,
1995年12月23日 凌晨3:00:001995/12/23
收件者:

: Jeffrey R. Broido "No Statements Flagged
: Morristown, NJ in this Assembly."

32 pins SIMMs were also made to get around a patent 2 of the pins do not
connect to anything.

0 則新訊息