RtlExAllocateHeap not in final NTDLL.DLL?

Jerome Schneider

Aug 19, 1993, 4:33:41 AM8/19/93

I have just installed the release version of NT, and much to my dismay,
I can't seem to run many of the NT programs from the CICA nt download
area. They worked just fine under the March beta, but when I try to
run them, I get an error "The procedure entry point RteExAllocateHeap
could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll".

I think most of the apps that are failing were compiled with the Oct.
beta, rather than the March. Still, I'm disappointed that they worked
until the new NT appeared. The apps are common ones that I think Martin
at SII ported to both i386 and mips, i.e.: ZIP, UNZIP, RCS, etc. I
couldn't get NTSYSMON or PSVIEW to work either. Yet, at least some of
the CICA apps appear to work with the new NT.

Do I have a defective installation, or are others seeing this problem
also? If so, is there any hope of updating the CICA programs in the
near future? This is probably the best reason to supply tools in their
source form, rather than compiled, for NT. As the unix sources folks
have long realized, the most portable and long-lasting programs are
those that the user can compile on their machine. As an aside, they
can be "fixed", too, when the source is availabe.

Shareware very seldom has the source available, even with the restriction
that it not be posted. Maybe for DOS or Windows, binary files were OK,
but it would appear that NT programs without sources are of little use
except for casual end users. I don't know how many times I've had to
binary patch some shareware app that had hard-code a directory or made
some other decision for me; bug fixes are at the "convenience" of the
author, assuming he/she can even be found. Lots of Windows apps do
really horrid things like hook all system messages, etc., yet with no
source, these errors can't be easily detected.

Lets hear it for releasing source with NT programs, or at least making
the source available for FTP. If a developer wants money for shareware,
paying the fee should automatically grant the user a copy of the source
code for their personal use. Restrictions could prohibit modifying and
redistributing binaries, but should allow distribution of "deltas" for
bug fixes, etc.

Anyone else into "Source Code for NT"? The tools and stuff I'm writing
for NT will be released with source. If there are "proprietary" tricks
that MS wants to hide, the only way to subvert their hoarding is to post
source that illuminates (and I don't mean disclosing stuff obtained by
a non-disclosure agreement). Open Source is best for everyone in the
long run.

--
Jerome (Jerry) Schneider Domain: j...@atg.COM
Aspen Technology Group UUCP: {uunet}!csn!atglab!jls

Political Correctness is McCarthyism for the 90's.

Brian Sturgill

Aug 19, 1993, 3:20:50 PM8/19/93
In article <1993Aug1...@atglab.atg.com> j...@atg.com writes:

>I have just installed the release version of NT, and much to my dismay,
>I can't seem to run many of the NT programs from the CICA nt download
>area. They worked just fine under the March beta, but when I try to
>run them, I get an error "The procedure entry point RteExAllocateHeap
>could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll".
>
>I think most of the apps that are failing were compiled with the Oct.
>beta, rather than the March. Still, I'm disappointed that they worked
>until the new NT appeared. The apps are common ones that I think Martin
>at SII ported to both i386 and mips, i.e.: ZIP, UNZIP, RCS, etc. I

You can get zip and unzip from the ftp site in my .sig.

>couldn't get NTSYSMON or PSVIEW to work either. Yet, at least some of
>the CICA apps appear to work with the new NT.

There was a change in the naming of some calls between the October
beta and the final release. The SDK release notes said this clearly.

Brian
--
C. Brian Sturgill Want good, low cost, POSIX (Unix-like) tools and
University of Utah shell for Windows NT? E-mail hippi...@hippo.com.

Ingo T. Storm

Aug 25, 1993, 7:41:38 AM8/25/93
In article <1993Aug1...@atglab.atg.com> j...@atglab.atg.com (Jerome Schneider) writes:
>From: j...@atglab.atg.com (Jerome Schneider)
>Date: 19 Aug 93 08:33:41 GMT
>Subject: RtlExAllocateHeap not in final NTDLL.DLL?

>I have just installed the release version of NT, and much to my dismay,
>I can't seem to run many of the NT programs from the CICA nt download
>area. They worked just fine under the March beta, but when I try to
>run them, I get an error "The procedure entry point RteExAllocateHeap
>could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll".

>Do I have a defective installation, or are others seeing this problem
>also?

Despite different announcments, MS changed quite some stuff from build 404 to
511. Even the march beta compiler won't run under 511.

> This is probably the best reason to supply tools in their source form,
> rather than compiled, for NT.

Yip!

Cheers,
Ingo

Nathan Silva

Aug 27, 1993, 1:44:51 PM8/27/93
>In article <1993Aug1...@atglab.atg.com> j...@atglab.atg.com (Jerome Schneider) writes:
>
>I have just installed the release version of NT, and much to my dismay,
>I can't seem to run many of the NT programs from the CICA nt download
>area. They worked just fine under the March beta, but when I try to
>run them, I get an error "The procedure entry point RteExAllocateHeap
>could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll".
>
>Do I have a defective installation, or are others seeing this problem
>also?

Most software compiled for early betas of NT (before the March Beta)
won't run on the Final Release. Software for the March Beta or later,
generally, will run properly.

I have also been frustrated by getting old versions of NT software, so
I have asked the ftp administrator at CICA to either move the old stuff
to a separate directory or remove it entirely.

(If you want copies of old stuff, you should probably ftp it soon; it
sounds like he'd rather delete it than keep it hanging around...)

--
Nathan Silva (nat...@pacifier.rain.com)
Vancouver, Washington, USA

Russ Poffenberger

Aug 30, 1993, 4:12:19 PM8/30/93
Nathan Silva (nat...@pacifier.rain.com) wrote:

: >In article <1993Aug1...@atglab.atg.com> j...@atglab.atg.com (Jerome Schneider) writes:
: >
[...]

Hopefully these applications will be rebuilt under the latest NT by the
developer and re-submitted.

I had no problems compiling my apps under the final version, so in most cases it should simply be a rebuild.

Russ

van...@news.delphi.com

Aug 31, 1993, 3:10:09 AM8/31/93
pof...@San-Jose.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

The final version of NT does not include NTDLL.LIB. The file you
include in your make file does not include NTDLL.LIB in what is linked
into your executable any longer. We had to get NTDLL.LIB from the
March beta and link it in to resolve our call to another Rtl function.

-Vance Gloster
glo...@inference.com

Bryan Tuttle

Sep 7, 1993, 12:28:15 AM9/7/93
In article <25utgh$i...@news.delphi.com> van...@news.delphi.com wrote:
>The final version of NT does not include NTDLL.LIB. The file you
>include in your make file does not include NTDLL.LIB in what is linked
>into your executable any longer. We had to get NTDLL.LIB from the
>March beta and link it in to resolve our call to another Rtl function.
>
>-Vance Gloster
> glo...@inference.com

Before the rumor gets started that you must have the March beta in order
to write code for the shipping release (false), it s/b stated that it is
unlikely that anyone would ever need to link directly to NTDLL.DLL. If
you do so, 1. you can get NTDLL.LIB from the DDK, and 2. your app will
not start on WIN32S (NTDLL.DLL doesn't exist on that system) and may
not start on Chicago (possibly the same).

Bryan