NT Patch--doesn't fix Services for Macintosh

tay...@saturn.brooks.af.mil

Oct 10, 1993, 2:56:05 PM10/10/93
I recently installed NTAS on a 486DX2/66 over a previous installation
of the release version of NT. (btw, I lost all of the configuration
efforts I had put into NT--NTAS doesn't offer to upgrade NT, it simply
replaces it. bye bye user accounts, groups, program mgr settings,
optional services, etc...)

After a successful installation, I proceeded to add TCP/IP, FTP server,
and Services for Macintosh. NTAS would reach the login dialog, then
die the blue screen death. After some experimentation, I determined
that Services for Macintosh was conflicting with the 3COM Elnk16
ethernet card.

A search on the usenet revealed the newly released patch for NT/NTAS.
Happily, the bug (#2686) was addressed in this patch. I uninstalled
the Macintosh service, restarted, and applied the patch. After
restarting the machine again, I attempted to re-install the Mac
service. No such luck. The installation would abort, complaining
about a missing [Files-SMF] section in OEMNXPSM.INF.

Browsing the list of files affected by the patch, I discovered that
OEMNXPSM.INF was in the list (#2923). Since this bug fix addressed
a problem that I wasn't having, I uncompressed the original
OEMNXPSM.INF file from the CD-ROM, which enabled me to actually
complete the installation of the Mac service. I then re-applied the
patch before restarting NTAS.

The only remaining problem is--NT still locks up the machine at exactly
the same point. The only difference is that I don't get the blue screen
of death--NT just freezes.

I hope that the rest of you have better luck with Microsoft's latest
NT "bug fixes".

-Dave Taylor [tay...@saturn.brooks.af.mil]