IE for NT

Christopher Schneithorst

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
Anyone running the beta of the Internet Explorer for NT? Does it
work?

Christopher C. Schneithorst bos...@shnidy.com
Saint Louis University http://www.inlink.com/~bossman

Bob Costa

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
bos...@shnidy.com (Christopher Schneithorst) wrote:

>Anyone running the beta of the Internet Explorer for NT? Does it
>work?

I think it is dissapointing. It seems to be about two beta releases
behind the win95 version. I still use Netscape for my NT machine.

bob
Follow me to InvestorWEB at http://www.investorweb.com/ for the most complete directory of public companies and investment information on the World Wide Web. Authors needed for articles on public and private equity investing!! Reach me by mail at bco...@investorweb.com.
PGP FP= 9B42 8B1B 83F0 DD09 EF5C A246 3A15 F476

Jay Urbanski

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96

:
:>Anyone running the beta of the Internet Explorer for NT? Does it
:>work?

:
:No - it ****** doesn't. It says "This program requires Windows 95"
:when you try to install it.
:
:I bet it gets a Windows 95 logo though...

You are confused. The Windows 95 version of IE gives you that error
message, but if it's already isntalled it will run. The Windows NT
version of IE (Ships with Internet Server Beta) of course runs with no
problem, but it is not as feature rich as the '95 version.

Jay Urbanski
MCSE
Certified Solaris Administrator
Paranet

Tim Browse

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96

--
Tim Browse
Software Engineer, Computer Concepts Ltd/Xara Ltd

"This stuff we do...it's been licensed world-wide."

Alan J. Holzman

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
bos...@shnidy.com (Christopher Schneithorst) wrote:

>Anyone running the beta of the Internet Explorer for NT? Does it
>work?

Yes, it came on the IIS (Web Server) Beta-2 CD. Works OK. Looks good, is
pretty fast. Has trouble with some sites. No Java yet, of course. Seems to
be somewhere between the IE 1.0 & IE 2.0 releases.

/Alan
Alan J. Holzman (503) 264-7624
Strategic Technology Manager (503) 264-9428 FAX
Intel Corporation ahol...@ibeam.intel.com
Internet Technology Labs
Hillsboro, OR.

Alan J. Holzman

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
w...@netcom.com (Bill Bosacker) wrote:

>I think you guys are a little confused. There is a BETA version of
>Internet Explorer 1.5 for Windows 3.1x with Win32s. It does work on NT,
>but it was not designed to be used on NT as the Windows 95 version is.
>When NT supports TAPI (NT 4.0) then the Windows 95 version will work w/o
>any problems. Some people have gotten the Windows 95 version to work
>under NT 3.51 with a few warning messages being displayed.

Sorry, Bill - But there really is a version of IE specifically for NT 3.51
which does indeed come on the IIS Beta-2 CD. That same CD also contains a
separate version of IE for Win3.1.

Bill Bosacker

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
ahol...@ibeam.intel.com (Alan J. Holzman) wrote:

>bos...@shnidy.com (Christopher Schneithorst) wrote:
>>Anyone running the beta of the Internet Explorer for NT? Does it
>>work?
>>
>Yes, it came on the IIS (Web Server) Beta-2 CD. Works OK. Looks good, is
>pretty fast. Has trouble with some sites. No Java yet, of course. Seems to
>be somewhere between the IE 1.0 & IE 2.0 releases.

I think you guys are a little confused. There is a BETA version of

Internet Explorer 1.5 for Windows 3.1x with Win32s. It does work on NT,
but it was not designed to be used on NT as the Windows 95 version is.
When NT supports TAPI (NT 4.0) then the Windows 95 version will work w/o
any problems. Some people have gotten the Windows 95 version to work
under NT 3.51 with a few warning messages being displayed.

Later daazzzz.....

Arthur White

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
> Later daazzzz.....No they were correct there was a version for NT on the Beta-2 CD. There were versions for all
versions of windows win3.1, win95, and Windows NT.
-Arthur.
Arthur White My page: http://www.teleport.com/~arthurdw
|"Wild Angels, Wild Angels WILD ANGELS
| Watching over you and me sung by Martina McBride
| Wild Angels, Wild Angels by: Matraca Berg, Gary
| Baby what else could it be..." Harrison and Harry Stinson

Steven Ireland

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
bos...@shnidy.com (Christopher Schneithorst) wrote:

>Anyone running the beta of the Internet Explorer for NT? Does it
>work?

I've just check out the beta of MSIE 1.5 for Windows 3.1x. Works for
me under NT. Check http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/iexplorer.htm

Steve.