Detroit??? what that? (Re:Nashville, Cairo, rumors etc.)

Samy E

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Oh wise wizards of the Alpha/Beta &Gamma worlds!

Would you share some of your infinite wisdom on the past, present and
(especially) the future of Win95 and NT, with your humble and unworthy
servant???

I have traveled far away in misterious and illegal lands ("warez") and
found strange creatures and beasts. And I summoned thou holy spirit
("irc") to name them, and here they are:
1) Detroit (build 1089) for W95 &NT (?!?!)
2) Nashville Beta (?)
3) Win95 OEM SP2 Rel. Cand. 1 (build 1095)
4) Win95 SP2 RC1 (build ???)

I called for the help of the guardian angle of directories
(http://www.microsoft.com/, net-search, FAQs) but found only
dim shadows... etc etc

OK, let's cut the crap: does anybody knows what this "Detroit" is?
is it for W95 or NT? both? and how it's related to "Nashville",
"Cairo" (NT 5.0?) and Win97?
Where can I find more info if not here? can anyone kindly direct me to
a home page where the wise and knowledgable are discussing this?
What the diff between W95 OEM SP2 and reg. SP2? Is it final version
already? What are the important changes in SP2? is it only VFAT32 ?
Is VFAT32 supported by NT 4.0?

As far as I know the current formal build # for NT and W95 are:
NT 4.0 final: build 1381
W95 (inc SP1): build 950 (a?)
Am I right or am I right?

Thanks in advance for any info !

Frank Cincotta

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Nashville is IE4.0, which is MSExplorer and the internet combined. It is
for NT4.0 and Win95. Win97, which is sometimes called Detroit is the next
version of Win9x. It will be like a WinNT Lite. By then both NT and Win9x
apps should work together. Cairo is WinNT5.0, scheduled to come out in the
third quarter of '97, along with Win97. OEM Service Release is the update
for new computers. Sp2 is the updates that will be posted on the net. Their
are other additions to SP2 besides FAT32. This should be out by the end of
the summer.

File system enhancements:

•FAT32, which allows people with drives larger than 2 gigabytes to use them
under Windows 95 without using multiple partitions. And, since FAT32 uses
smaller cluster sizes than FAT16, it's much more efficient than FAT16 on
1-2GB drives. Bear in mind that the FAT32 file system is incompatible with
Windows NT. There are new functions in the Win32 API associated with FAT32:
GetDiskFreeSpaceEx, which supersedes GetDiskFreeSpace; for the sake of
compatibility, the latter has been capped so that it will never report more
than 1.999999 GB free under Windows 95. The new function will also be
included in Windows NT 4.0.

•Real and protect mode tools for FAT32, including: fdisk, format, scandisk,
and defrag.

•Note that most disk utilities will not support FAT32 without extensive
revision.

•CDFS enhancements to support CDi media and adaptive read-ahead.

IOS (disk subsystem) enhancements:

•Drive spin-down support enabled

•120MB flopptical support

•Integrated development environment (IDE) busmaster

•Removable IDE media support

•SMART predictive disk failure API

Kernel enhancements

•VMM CPD to support multimedia extensions

Multimedia enhancements

•DirectX v. 2.0

•DirectSound v1.0 driver updates

•Direct3D support

•DirectDraw v1.0 driver updates

•DirectPlay v1.0 bug fixes

•ActiveMovie support

MSN

Version 1.3.

Networking enhancements

•Vredir performance improvements

•NDIS 4.0 and new NDIS 4.0 miniport drivers

•TCP/IP Multi-homing support for LAN/WAN and LAN/LAN

PCI enhancements

•Hierarchical bus, IRQ-read routing table

•Bridging and docking support

PCMCIA enhancements

•PCCard32 (cardbus):

PCI enumerator to recognize cardbus bridge, arbitration for child resource

Toshiba controller support

•Multifunction card (that is, NIC and modem) support

•3.3-volt support

•Enhanced socket services

Plug-and-Play enhancements

•Sends new APM messages to drivers

•Rebalance of PCI I/O memory resources

•Removal of reboot from resource reserve request

•IRQ sharing for multifunction ISA cards

Power management

•Advanced Power Management 1.2 support including: wake on ring, control
panel power property page, and multi-battery status

•PCMCIA modem power management (this is a big power win when the machine is
idle)

Printing Enhancements

•LPT.VXD has been updated to fix bugs from WDL

•Grayscale font support for Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 4

•Twain32, a support Imaging application •WANG Imaging Application and FAX
viewer

•FAX QFEs for MAPI v 1.0

RNA Enhancements

•Unimodem/V •New UI, including dialing configuration options in Dial-Up
Networking folder, build-in Scripting

•New modem INFs

•New TAPI dial codes

PSS AnswerStation Support

Wireless Enhancements

•IrDa LAN--support for LAN access point

Desktop Management

•Data-management Interface (DMI) layer provided by Intel

•Data-management configuration and dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) to support
instrumentation plus VxDs to provide system and network driver interface
specification (NDIS) hooks

•Data-management wrappers to support event notification

Exchange

•NT 4.0 Windows Messaging System Client

•Renamed from Exchange to Windows Messaging System

•MAPI 1.0b

•Faster MailTo: on 8-MB machines

Miscellaneous

•Daylight Savings Time and time zone updates

Samy E <sa...@leland.stanford.edu> wrote in article
<3212762e.83806216@nntp>...

Samy E

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Just a correction for the URL of a trully excellent page:

><snip> There's more about SPs, SRs, and Nashville on my
>page http://www.webhaven.com/Windows-Versions.htm

Should be: http://www.webhaven.com/ericg/Windows-Versions.htm
Go look at it! I think that Eric done a really marvelous job of
organizing all the relevant data, rumors and usefull links.
In addition I got another interesting URL by mail from "Kirk" (thanks
Kirk!):
http://www.mindspring.com/~ggking3/pages/windmill.htm

(From this URL: "The Windows Mill is a collection of news items,
rumors and other information concerning Windows 95 and Windows NT...")

Eric Gisin

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

sa...@leland.stanford.edu (Samy E) wrote:

>Oh wise wizards of the Alpha/Beta &Gamma worlds!
>

>I have traveled far away in misterious and illegal lands ("warez") and
>found strange creatures and beasts. And I summoned thou holy spirit
>("irc") to name them, and here they are:
> 1) Detroit (build 1089) for W95 &NT (?!?!)
> 2) Nashville Beta (?)
> 3) Win95 OEM SP2 Rel. Cand. 1 (build 1095)
> 4) Win95 SP2 RC1 (build ???)

Detroit is the code name for OEM SR2 (not SP2, service packs only update
an existing Win95 installation). It will be released in mid September.
There is also OEM SR3, to be released in early 1997.

Microsoft has never used the names Windows 96 or 97. OEM SR2 will be
labelled Windows 95. There's more about SPs, SRs, and Nashville on my
page http://www.webhaven.com/Windows-Versions.htm .

Eric Gisin, Vancouver.bc.ca -- Windows/UNIX/Internet Consulting
http://www.webhaven.com/ericg/ mailto:er...@unixg.ubc.ca

Hans Eklund

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Samy E <sa...@leland.stanford.edu> wrote in article
<3212762e.83806216@nntp>...

> Oh wise wizards of the Alpha/Beta &Gamma worlds!
>

> Would you share some of your infinite wisdom on the past, present and
> (especially) the future of Win95 and NT, with your humble and unworthy
> servant???
>

> Thanks in advance for any info !

WELL WELL!
If you are unfamiliar with the Nashville thing take a look at
http://www.winmag.com/flanga/win96.htm

The guys on Winmag got an Alpha version of Win96 or Nashville or what
ever....
READ THAT PAGE!!!!!!

Pascal Walch

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

>As far as I know the current formal build # for NT and W95 are:
> NT 4.0 final: build 1381
> W95 (inc SP1): build 950 (a?)
>Am I right or am I right?
>

>Thanks in advance for any info !

Well the latest Win 95 I'm running is ...

Windows 95
OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2)
Beta 4
July 17, 1996

and it looks quite fine... under System Info it states 4.00.950 build
1078. I also got 4.00.950 C and 4.00.999. Anyway I just saw a review
on the latest Nashville build 1180+ and it looks kewl... gotta get
that one...

* EXPAND YOUR MIND or LOSE IT COMPLETELY *

Roy Prescott

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

pwa...@innet.lu (Pascal Walch) wrote:

>Well the latest Win 95 I'm running is ...

> Windows 95
> OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2)
> Beta 4
> July 17, 1996

>and it looks quite fine... under System Info it states 4.00.950 build
>1078. I also got 4.00.950 C and 4.00.999. Anyway I just saw a review
>on the latest Nashville build 1180+ and it looks kewl... gotta get
>that one...

Hi Pascal,

Any chance you could tell us where you got OSR2 from?

What's new?

Cheers Roy

************** Roy Prescott ****************
*********** DGCS International *************
********* LiveTrack International **********
****** e-mail r...@prescott.u-net.com ******

Paul Thurrott

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

> Would you share some of your infinite wisdom on the past, present and
> (especially) the future of Win95 and NT, with your humble and unworthy
> servant???

OK, here's the scoop.

> 1) Detroit (build 1089) for W95 &NT (?!?!)

Detroit is the USB update for Windows 95 OSR-2. The
"Detroit" you are seeing in the warez groups, however,
is not this product, since it isn't even in alpha yet.
The one you see is most likely OSR-2, the second refresh
of Windows 95. It will be completed this month and only
made available to purchasers of new computers. Existing
Windows 95 owners can upgrade to most of OSR-2's
features by downloading the components (except for
FAT32) from the MS web site.

> 2) Nashville Beta (?)

This is Internet Explorer 4.0 alpha (it's not in
beta yet).

> 3) Win95 OEM SP2 Rel. Cand. 1 (build 1095)
> 4) Win95 SP2 RC1 (build ???)

These are the same as the warez "Detroit", although
they may be different builds. That is, they are
Windows 95 OSR-2.

You can find out more at my "Future of Windows" page
at http://www.netwrx.net/thurrott/test (this site
requires Internet Explorer 3.0, BTW, and will *not*
look right in Netscape).

Paul

--

Paul Thurrott
MVP, Desktop Systems

thur...@netwrx.net
www.netwrx.net/thurrott/
CSS1 version: www.netwrx.net/thurrott/test

Paul Thurrott

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Close, but not quite.

Nashville is IE 4.0
Detroit is the USB (universal serial bus) upgrade to OSR-2.
It may be called OSR-3. Detroit is *not* OSR-2 or Win97.
Memphis is Windows 97
Cairo is Windows NT 5.0

Paul

--

Paul Thurrott
Microsoft MVP, Desktop Systems

Paul Thurrott

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Eric Gisin <er...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote in article
<321359ab...@news.ucs.ubc.ca>...

> Detroit is the code name for OEM SR2 (not SP2, service packs only update
> an existing Win95 installation). It will be released in mid September.

That is not true. The OSR-2 release did not have a beta name. Detroit
is the USB update to OSR-2 due in November. I have made that mistake
myself.

> Microsoft has never used the names Windows 96 or 97.

That is also not true. The name "Windows 97" was used by Microsoft
in a presentation at the Professional Developers Conference in March.
It was used to name the next (and final) major release of Windows,
and is now due in 1998 (thus, I feel the name will change to Windows
98). The "Windows 97" tag is also used by Microsoft when they talk
about Cairo (the next NT release) since it will be released concurrently
with Windows 97. Please see my "Future of Windows" page for details...
my home page address can be found below (the CSS1 version is more up to
date).

Paul Thurrott

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

For more accurate information, please see the "Future of Windows"

page at: http://www.netwrx.net/thurrott/test (this site requires
Internet Explorer 3.0). I have sections on the following Microsoft
releases:

Windows
Windows NT
Office
Internet Products
Development Products
Hardware
Games

I also site sources where applicable.

Paul

--

<3213967d.37508544@nntp>...

> Just a correction for the URL of a trully excellent page:
>

> ><snip> There's more about SPs, SRs, and Nashville on my
> >page http://www.webhaven.com/Windows-Versions.htm

Paul Thurrott

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

That is old information and is now highly inaccurate unfortunately.

Paul

--

Hans Eklund <lars....@mbox3.swipnet.se> wrote in article
<01bb8b04$6989f700$1e76...@www.blacknet.se>...

> Samy E <sa...@leland.stanford.edu> wrote in article

> <3212762e.83806216@nntp>...
> > Oh wise wizards of the Alpha/Beta &Gamma worlds!
> >

> > Would you share some of your infinite wisdom on the past, present and
> > (especially) the future of Win95 and NT, with your humble and unworthy
> > servant???
> >

> > Thanks in advance for any info !

*UF

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

On 21 Aug 96 00:18:28 GMT, "Paul Thurrott" <thur...@netwrx.net> wrote:
>> Would you share some of your infinite wisdom on the past, present and
>> (especially) the future of Win95 and NT, with your humble and unworthy
>> servant???
>
>OK, here's the scoop.
>
>> 1) Detroit (build 1089) for W95 &NT (?!?!)
>
>Detroit is the USB update for Windows 95 OSR-2. The
>"Detroit" you are seeing in the warez groups, however,
>is not this product, since it isn't even in alpha yet.
>The one you see is most likely OSR-2, the second refresh
>of Windows 95. It will be completed this month and only
>made available to purchasers of new computers. Existing
>Windows 95 owners can upgrade to most of OSR-2's
>features by downloading the components (except for
>FAT32) from the MS web site.
>
>> 2) Nashville Beta (?)
>
>This is Internet Explorer 4.0 alpha (it's not in
>beta yet).
>
>> 3) Win95 OEM SP2 Rel. Cand. 1 (build 1095)
>> 4) Win95 SP2 RC1 (build ???)
>
>These are the same as the warez "Detroit", although
>they may be different builds. That is, they are
>Windows 95 OSR-2.

Just curious here, the latest build of SR2 (billed as the final release) is
1111 now there is also a build that is still in beta which is being called SP3
aka Detriot this is build 1115 (the latest build I know of) but it was released
to beta about a month before SR2 build 1111 so they must be 2 different
projects...I know that SR2 is only supposed to be released to the hardware
manufacturers and will never be available to the public however the SP3 is
supposed to be released to the public however not anytime soon. SP3 does look
very much the same as SR2 so pherhaps SP3 is not Detroit but is a version of
SR2 that will be released to the public some time in the future (Maybe when
everyone using plain jane 95 starts bitching because SR2 is only available to
users when purchasing a new computer). Don't know for sure these are just my
observations...

Regards...

E-mail to me (u...@alpha.c2.org) is forwarded via the cypherpunk
anonymous remailers please do not ask for files via e-mail. If
you need my key just ask for it via the above address. Thanks
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Knowledge is Power is Knowledge is Power is Knowledge is Power

Michiel

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96
> Hi!

I have Win95 'warez' detroit build 1115. In the system info section
it says version 4.00.950C, under dos it says Memphis and internal
I've seen 4.03.1115?
Anybody understands...?!?

Michiel.

Eric Gisin

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96

Michiel <apo...@wirehub.nl> wrote:

>I have Win95 'warez' detroit build 1115. In the system info section
>it says version 4.00.950C, under dos it says Memphis and internal
>I've seen 4.03.1115?
>Anybody understands...?!?

The warez community is a great source of misinformation.
(ie labelling SR2 as detroit or SP2).

As far a I know, only OEM SR2 and SR3 are in beta.
Maybe Memphis (Win97/98) is dead, and it will be released
as SR3 or SR4? Microsoft changed their plans for Nashville too.

Dan Guisinger (QWL)

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96

No.
Heres the information you all want:

Nashville: Old codename of features in OSR2 and IE 4.0
Detroit: OSR3 - USB AddOn
Memphis: Windows 97/98 (Windows NT Device Drivers)
Cairo: Windows NT 5.0 (Simultainous release with Win97, shares same
kernel, new file system)
???? Windows NT 6.0 (No more Windows, just NT)
???? Windows NT 2000 (First 64-bit?? Who knows. Probably sooner with
6.0)
Pegasus: Windows PDA Edition

Hope this clears it up for ya all.

--Dan Guisinger

Eric Gisin <er...@unixg.ubc.ca> wrote in article

<3229cdf0...@news.ucs.ubc.ca>...

Eric Gisin

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

"Dan Guisinger (QWL)" <d.gui...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>No.
>Heres the information you all want:
>
>Nashville: Old codename of features in OSR2 and IE 4.0
>Detroit: OSR3 - USB AddOn

More correctly, SR3 is the Windows Driver Model, with USB the first such
driver. WDM is NT style drivers with PnP and APM. MS has a page on WDM,
and Allichin has said it is being released Dec/Jan as the Win95 OEM
version (which must be SR3).

>Memphis: Windows 97/98 (Windows NT Device Drivers)

Nope, WDM is in SR3, so what will Memphis be? I have yet to hear
anything official. Why would MS release both SR3 and a new version of
Win95 in 97? Whether Memphis and Cairo will share a kernel is still
unknown, I have heard both views in recent magazine articles.

>Cairo: Windows NT 5.0 (Simultainous release with Win97, shares same
>kernel, new file system)
>???? Windows NT 6.0 (No more Windows, just NT)
>???? Windows NT 2000 (First 64-bit?? Who knows. Probably sooner with
>6.0)
>Pegasus: Windows PDA Edition
>
>Hope this clears it up for ya all.
>
>--Dan Guisinger

Simon Burton

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

Can anyone decode some acronyms for me please ?

OSR-2 ?
USB ?

Thanks

Simon

Andreas Schildbach

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

Simon Burton <simon-...@psion.com> hat geschrieben:

> OSR-2 ?

OEM Service Release 2

> USB ?

Universal Serial Bus

- Andreas

---

Andreas "Goonie" Schildbach
schi...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Ride more roller-coasters!

Bob Baeyens

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Simon Burton wrote:

> Can anyone decode some acronyms for me please ?
>
> OSR-2 ?

Never heard of it....

> USB ?

Universal Serial Bus.
Sort of mini-SCSI bus, for mice, modems and the like.
Its quite new, I dont even think there are any USB products available
yet.

Bob