Why can't Windows use PC Speaker?

Sum Lin

Aug 25, 1994, 2:42:34 PM8/25/94
I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
games and stuff it is acceptable.

Please post comments.

Thanks.

Sum
Internet: sl...@esri.com

Jeff M Lodoen

Aug 25, 1994, 8:46:42 PM8/25/94
Sum Lin (s...@esri.com) wrote:
: I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable

: to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
: Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
: would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
: games and stuff it is acceptable.

It can, you just need the driver (SPEAK.EXE is the name of the
archive)... The quality is poor, and it stops all other activity
while sound is playing. You have the option of a cut-off time
on all sound.

If your game uses sound much, you won't like it. MS Arcade won't
even try.

There's also a WAV driver for the Adlib sound card. Better quality,
but has the same drawbacks.

Kenneth Plotkin

Aug 25, 1994, 10:58:53 PM8/25/94
You should get simple beeps out of the PC's speaker for the usual sort of
things - trying to cursor beyond end-of-file in a word processor, etc.
The speaker can be used as a Windows sound device. You need SPEAKER.EXE
(I think that's the correct name - if not, it's close) from the Windows
Drivers Library; it's available from Microsoft's download service or their
FTP site.

SPEAKER.EXE lets you get all the event sounds and play some sound files.
The quality is not very good, and there is an interrupt conflict that
makes you choose between sound breaking up while you move the mouse OR
not being able to mouse while a sound is playing. If sounds are at all
important to you, get a real sound card. Even a cheap no-name 8-bit mono
card will run rings around SPEAKER.EXE.

Good luck

merr...@metronet.com

Aug 25, 1994, 10:53:41 PM8/25/94

Locate the speaker driver for Windows (SPEAKER.DRV - should be on
ftp.microsoft.com, cica, wuarchive, etc). It works, but sounds like somebody
with a mouthfull of marbles trying to talk underwater.

HTH

Dave Merriman

SJCCC

Aug 26, 1994, 1:20:01 AM8/26/94
In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com>, s...@esri.com (Sum Lin) writes:

You can get a copy of speaker.exe @ MS-BBS 510-623-7034 or DELL
@(512)338-8528 Se...@AOL.com

Smith, Lance C.

Aug 26, 1994, 12:17:00 PM8/26/94
In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com>, s...@esri.com (Sum Lin) writes...

>I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
>to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
>Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
>would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
>games and stuff it is acceptable.

You have to have a pc speaker driver... you don't need a sound card
but you have to have the driver for windows. I know I have one on
my machine here at work and would be more than happy to send it to
you. I am not sure if the drivers are machine specific or not. I
wouldn't think they would be.

Lance

Justin Monti

Aug 26, 1994, 11:13:01 AM8/26/94
In article <26AUG199...@rnd.brooks.af.mil>, smi...@rnd.brooks.af.mil
(Smith, Lance C.) wrote:

No. The speaker driver is not machine specific. It is, however,
sensitive to what kind of speaker is present in the system. Some systems
have piezo electric speakers that are only capable of producing a beep.
Others (I think Gateway included) have a speaker similar to that found in
a cheap radio. While you won't get sound card quality sound (and might
not even get recognizable sound), you will get some sound. Anyway I
digress. The name of the file you want is speak.exe and can be found on
CompuServe and on ftp.microsoft.com. The essential file is called
speaker.drv (I think, might be speakr.drv). It goes in the system
subdirectory of your Windows directory. Hope this info helps.

--Justin

--
Justin Monti
Brown University -- Computing Services

Martin Bradford

Aug 26, 1994, 8:52:21 AM8/26/94
merr...@metronet.com wrote:

: HTH

: Dave Merriman

Actually the results with the speaker driver depend very much on the machine
- on one of my systems at home, it really is quite good!

Regards,

Martin Bradford

x93c...@wmich.edu

Aug 26, 1994, 12:21:26 PM8/26/94
m...@mx1.uk.mdis.com (Martin Bradford) writes:

> merr...@metronet.com wrote:
> : Locate the speaker driver for Windows (SPEAKER.DRV - should be on
> :ftp.microsoft.com, cica, wuarchive, etc). It works, but sounds like somebody
> : with a mouthfull of marbles trying to talk underwater.
>
> Actually the results with the speaker driver depend very much on the machine
> - on one of my systems at home, it really is quite good!

It sounds really good on mine too. I configured it to play the "Hasta la
vista" WAV file (from Terminator II) on Windows exit. A friend of mine was so
shocked, he nearly fell out of his chair.

Stuart Lamble

Aug 26, 1994, 8:44:13 PM8/26/94
In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com> s...@esri.com (Sum Lin) writes:

>I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
>to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
>Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
>would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
>games and stuff it is acceptable.

>Please post comments.
As a matter of fact, Windows *can* use the PC speaker for waveform playback
and similar stuff. I don't use that driver myself, as I don't particularly
like the sound (very scratchy), but it should be available somewhere. Sorry,
but I can't remember the filename.

+-------------------------------- _--_|\ --+-------------------------------+
| Stuart Lamble / \ | sjl...@mfs01.cc.monash.edu.au |
| 1st year Science/Engineering \_,--.*/ | lam...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au |
| Monash Uni, Clayton v | |
+-------------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
"Ah, gravity. I fall for it every time."

Bill Chesnut

Aug 27, 1994, 8:40:11 PM8/27/94
There is a file on ftp.microsoft.com called speak.exe and is a driver to
use the PC speaker for sound.

Bill Chesnut

Sum Lin (s...@esri.com) wrote:
: I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable

Todd Belton

Aug 28, 1994, 2:13:13 AM8/28/94
Sum Lin (s...@esri.com) wrote:
: I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable

: to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
: Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
: would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
: games and stuff it is acceptable.

Ugh. You really won't like it, trust me.

But, if you insist:

The driver is called SPEAKER.DRV and it's available from the Microsoft
support forums. The story goes that they were going to put it in 3.1
but it didn't work well enough for them to want to support it - which
should tell you something. For simple wave sounds it works OK (I use it
on my PC at work for alert noises). For games etc I wouldn't try it.

Just ask a Microsoft support person, if you can get one on the phone.

Most people who use it, I dare say, got it as part of a commercial
"We can give Windows sound without a sound card" package - the two that
come to mind are Icon-Hear-It and its descendants, and Wired For Sound.

WFS is the better of the two, relatively cheap, and also installs the
driver for you as opposed to the get-it-from-Microsoft method. You
might consider purchasing it.

todd belton
tbe...@world.std.com

Murray C Park

Aug 28, 1994, 7:01:00 AM8/28/94

In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com> s...@esri.com writes...

>I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
>to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
>Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
>would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
>games and stuff it is acceptable.

You don't need a soundcard but you do need a Windows PC Speaker
Driver. It's often given away on magazine cover disks and I
imagine it's probably available by ftp from ftp.microsoft.com

Murray
Murray C Park: 30 Tavistock Road, West Drayton, Middlesex, England, UB7 7QZ
email: mp...@mpark.demon.co.uk Tel: 0895 854745

a...@amber.isar.muc.de

Aug 26, 1994, 8:29:00 PM8/26/94
Hi.

> I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
> to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
> Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
> would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
> games and stuff it is acceptable.

May sound silly but did you install the driver for the PC speaker? As for
every other sound output device there's a driver necessary.
If you didn't do: Do it :-}. It worked on my 486/33. (Please don't ask me
where to ftp it - I can uuencode it and email it to you if you want.)
If you did: When I switched between the drivers for the speaker and the SB
I had some problems. I finally managed to get it to work, but don't ask me
how :-/. (Installing - reinstalling - installing - editing the .ini-files
...). It was terrible.

readya,

apo

#############################################################################
# Bescheidenheit ist die schlimmste Form der Eitelkeit. #
# Oscar Wilde #
#############################################################################
## CrossPoint v3.0 ##

Cr...@cwalker.motown.ge.com

Aug 29, 1994, 9:39:33 AM8/29/94

In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com>, <s...@esri.com> writes:

> I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
> to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
> Do you have to have a sound card & driver?

There is a sound driver for PC Speakers which is availabe on the
Internet. It comes with complete instructions on how to use it. I
don't recall exactly where it is, but you might try
ftp.microsoft.com, as a good possibility.

Craig Walker

Leon J. Carey

Aug 29, 1994, 10:40:37 AM8/29/94
In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com> s...@esri.com (Sum Lin) writes:
>From: s...@esri.com (Sum Lin)
>Subject: Why can't Windows use PC Speaker?
>Date: 25 Aug 1994 11:42:34 -0700

>I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
>to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
>Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
>would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
>games and stuff it is acceptable.

>Please post comments.

Microsoft does provide a driver that uses the PC speaker. I can't recall the
file name, but I'm sure if you poke around at ftp.microsoft.com you can
probably find it.

Joe Carey
car...@sce.com

Marcus Fredriksson

Aug 29, 1994, 8:41:41 AM8/29/94
a...@amber.isar.muc.de writes:

>Hi.

>> I have Windows 3.11 on a Gateway 486-DX (33) and I am unable
>> to configure Windows to use the standard pc speaker for sound.
>> Do you have to have a sound card & driver? Most DOS applications
>> would use thepc speaker for sound, not great, but for certain
>> games and stuff it is acceptable.
>May sound silly but did you install the driver for the PC speaker? As for
>every other sound output device there's a driver necessary.
>If you didn't do: Do it :-}. It worked on my 486/33. (Please don't ask me
>where to ftp it

*---ZAP---*
You can find it on ftp.microsoft.com /softlib/mslfiles/speak.exe.

Marcus Fredriksson Chalmers University
d2ma...@dtek.chalmers.se of Technology

Marwan KHALIL

Aug 30, 1994, 10:50:04 AM8/30/94
In article <careylj.2...@sce.com>, car...@sce.com (Leon J. Carey) writes:
|> In article <33iomq$2...@summer.com> s...@esri.com (Sum Lin) writes:
|> >From: s...@esri.com (Sum Lin)
|> >Subject: Why can't Windows use PC Speaker?
|> >Date: 25 Aug 1994 11:42:34 -0700
|>

|> Microsoft does provide a driver that uses the PC speaker. I can't recall the
|> file name, but I'm sure if you poke around at ftp.microsoft.com you can
|> probably find it.
|>
|> Joe Carey
|> car...@sce.com

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/mslfiles/speak.exe

--

Marwan...@prism.uvsq.fr
Stage de DEA

Paul Gifford

Aug 30, 1994, 11:53:47 AM8/30/94
In article <33vgus$q...@soleil.uvsq.fr>, kh...@prism.uvsq.fr (Marwan KHALIL) writes:

|>ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Softlib/mslfiles/speak.exe

Of course, the downside to this is Windows will stop everything else just to play the sound. To get decent quality, all other processing is suspended.

paul

Gary Dyrkacz

Aug 29, 1994, 7:46:36 PM8/29/94

.
>| Stuart Lamble

I believe what your looking for is speaker.exe. You can get it by
anonymous ftp from either:

ftp.cica.indiana.edu
ftp.microsoft.com
(Sorry, I don't have the directory info)

As I remember, once you have the driver on your hard disk you have to tell
windows about it using Main/Control Panel/Drivers from Program Manager.
I tried the driver a while ago, but couldn't stand the static. Moreover, on
a 20 MHz machine even the startup notes for windows took about 5 s to
play. I ended up removing the driver after about two hours.

Gary
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][[][][][]
Gary Dyrkacz Argonne National Laboratory
dyr...@anlchm.chm.anl.gov Chemistry Division
9700 S. Cass Ave, Argonne, IL, 60439
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Matthew Borcherding

Sep 2, 1994, 6:01:39 PM9/2/94
Martin Bradford (m...@mx1.uk.mdis.com) wrote:
: merr...@metronet.com wrote:

: : HTH

: : Dave Merriman

: Regards,

: Martin Bradford

Gateway also includes a copy in the system CDs that have come with every
Gateway for the past year or so. Look in the \SPEAKER directory.
Those system CDs are very handy -- I wish other companies would do the same.

| "Please allow me to introduce myself..." |
|Matt Borcherding |ma...@rahul.net |324 Camille Ct. #7, Mt. View, CA 94040 |