Question about Concurrent DOS XM 5.2 and CP/M

JoeD7070

Dec 8, 2001, 12:12:41 PM12/8/01
Hi All,

I have been given the task of having to make a clone of a harddrive for an AT&T
Voice mail system. We want to do this so that when it finally goes, we can
install the new one, realizing current messages will be lost. Not an issue.

The task seems simple, except that the unit is a 386 proprietary unit with a
bios that is involved in the boot process. The hardrive is broken into 2
partitions. There is a 3 Meg Dos Partition and a 200 Meg CP/M Media Partition.
The partitions on these voice mail systems (we have 4) are always the same,
regardless of the size of the harddrive. 425 Meg, 850 Meg, 1.2 G.

Access to the system is through a serial port. There is no video or keyboard.
At the 1C:> prompt I can type ver and get concurrent dos xm 5.2. At the 1D:> I
get the same, however the D: prompt seems to be the cp/m media of the voice
mail program and messages where the smaller 3 Meg C: prompt is basic stuff like
startup2.bat, ibmbios.cmd, ccpm.sys.

I cannot clone the drive with conventional software and get the partitions
correct. In fact, some softwares have even reported that these original drives
were damaged! I think it has to do with the boot structure and its ability to
not interpret it correctly.

My question, How to I prepare a disk and then copy the files. Its the prepare
a disk part that I can't seem to do. I can connect a floppy drive to the unit
if that helps. Again, no keyboard or monitor access. The drive will not
operate in another PC.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

Below is the boot sequence at power up if it helps......

Thanks! Joe.

Concurrent DOS 5.2
Copyright (C) 1986, Digital Research

C>enable0

C>user 1

User Number = 1
Note: User numbers only apply to CP/M media.

1C>del *.idx
1C>recreate px.rcr

Access Manager Recreate utility. Using parameter file: PX.RCR

Rebuilding data file PXMSG.DAT
PXMSG.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
PXPHYMSG.IDX is rebuilt.
PXRCPMSG.IDX is rebuilt.
PXSNDMSG.IDX is rebuilt.
Rebuild for PXMSG.DAT completed.

Rebuilding data file PXERR.DAT
PXERR.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
PXERR.IDX is rebuilt.
Rebuild for PXERR.DAT completed.

Rebuilding data file PXSUB.DAT
PXSUB.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
PXSUB.IDX is rebuilt.
Rebuild for PXSUB.DAT completed.

Rebuilding data file PXSYS.DAT
PXSYS.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
Rebuild for PXSYS.DAT completed.

Rebuilding data file PXDISSUB.DAT
PXDISSUB.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
PXDISSUB.IDX is rebuilt.
PXSUBDIS.IDX is rebuilt.
Rebuild for PXDISSUB.DAT completed.

Rebuilding data file PXCALLQ.DAT
PXCALLQ.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
PXCALLQ.IDX is rebuilt.
Rebuild for PXCALLQ.DAT completed.

Rebuilding data file PXFEND.DAT
PXFEND.DAT is reorganized. Now rebuild index files.
PXFEND.IDX is rebuilt.
Rebuild for PXFEND.DAT completed.

File fixup completed successfully.

1C>pxsc

System Startup.

ACCESS MANAGER (tm) 8086 Version 1.0
Serial No. 3051-0000-000107 All Rights Reserved
Copyright (c) 1982,1983 Digital Research, Inc.

ACCESS MANAGER(tm) is ready for 8 users.

Initializing message reminders.

4444
VIOS ready for 04 lines.
Voice I/O System started.