Want an SLS like .99pl11A system?

Patrick J. Volkerding

Jul 11, 1993, 1:53:15 PM7/11/93

Well, that's good, because I put one together. It does not yet have
XFree-86 1.3, but give me about 2 days and it will. This is not like
the MCC release, rather, it is a big system, even more bloated than
SLS :^)

Currently it has all of the same features as SLS 1.02, with these
additions:

1. The newest FAQ
2. Simplified installation procedure.
3. Kernel level .99 pl 11 Alpha.
4. libs and includes at 4.4.1, (without the limits.h problem)
5. GCC at 2.4.3 (may be 2.4.5 soon)
6. Net-2 TCP/IP preconfigured for loopback.
7. Public domain ksh and tcsh 6.04.
8. command line JPEG utilities.

On the X side, XV 3.00 has been added.

Now here's the deal: there are 13 disks in the 'A' series (same as SLS
A, B, and C) and 10 in the X series. I don't have any way to offer this
system publicly. If I tried to put it up on our 3b2 it would kill it.

This system has been used among my associates here since we put the
first one together back at pl8. Our original goal was just to debug the
SLS releases, but those have been slowing down and we happened to get a
jump on things.

I'd like to hear from you if this package sounds appealing. If demand is
not too strong, I may test releasing it on the 3b2 here.

If you have an archive site for it, LET ME KNOW! I'll set you up with a
copy of it to put up for FTP.

Take care,

--
Patrick Volkerding
volk...@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu

ehh...@staff.tc.umn.edu

Jul 11, 1993, 3:21:39 PM7/11/93
In article <21pk2b$h...@usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu> bf...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Patrick J. Volkerding) writes:

>Well, that's good, because I put one together. It does not yet have
>XFree-86 1.3, but give me about 2 days and it will. This is not like
>the MCC release, rather, it is a big system, even more bloated than
>SLS :^)
>
>Currently it has all of the same features as SLS 1.02, with these
>additions:
>
>1. The newest FAQ
>2. Simplified installation procedure.
>3. Kernel level .99 pl 11 Alpha.
>4. libs and includes at 4.4.1, (without the limits.h problem)
>5. GCC at 2.4.3 (may be 2.4.5 soon)
>6. Net-2 TCP/IP preconfigured for loopback.
>7. Public domain ksh and tcsh 6.04.
>8. command line JPEG utilities.
>
>On the X side, XV 3.00 has been added.
>

>This system has been used among my associates here since we put the
>first one together back at pl8. Our original goal was just to debug the
>SLS releases, but those have been slowing down and we happened to get a
>jump on things.
>
>I'd like to hear from you if this package sounds appealing. If demand is
>not too strong, I may test releasing it on the 3b2 here.

>If you have an archive site for it, LET ME KNOW! I'll set you up with a
>copy of it to put up for FTP.
>

>Patrick Volkerding
>volk...@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu
>bf...@cleveland.freenet.edu

good? it's too appealing! I would like a copy right now! :)

I would think that a lot of people would be interested, as the SLS has
slowed down to barely moving. We haven't heard from Peter for a long time
about SLS, it seems.

I think Xfree 1.3 should be in there though. It is really easy to install
it if I had to do it myself, but having it included would be nice. I
am running SLS 1.02 with Xfree 1.3 and all the goodies you mentioned,
except kernel 0.99.pl11alpha.

--
o/ \ / \ / / \o email: chix...@student.tc.umn.edu
/# ##o # o## #\ - or -

Patrick J. Volkerding

Jul 12, 1993, 2:03:19 PM7/12/93

Hey now!

First off, *thanks* for the responses. I got so many that if I answered
them all personally, well, let's say it would put me anonther week
behind :^)

As timing would have it, the test release of SLS at 99pl11A was
announced shortly after I made my initial offer. As a result, I'm going
to take the next couple of days to bring my package up to XFree86-1.3,
gcc 2.4.5, and in general make sure that everything works properly. I
want to do this right. Some new features like 'quota' have been added to
SLS as well, and I want to properly 'absorb' these into the package.

A few of you were kind enough to offer FTP space. I will get back to you
shortly.

The package will be known as the 'Slackware' linux release. (more
features *and* more slack!) Internal betas had been up as high as
version 1.3, but I'm going to reset it to 1.0 for the first public
release.

I plan to keep the package as current as possible. If I don't get a job
soon, I imagine this won't be too much trouble ;^)

Stay tuned!

Wm E. Davidsen Jr

Jul 13, 1993, 7:03:15 PM7/13/93

| good? it's too appealing! I would like a copy right now! :)
|
| I would think that a lot of people would be interested, as the SLS has
| slowed down to barely moving. We haven't heard from Peter for a long time
| about SLS, it seems.

What?? The last changes on tsx-11 were July 2, and you post on July 11
and say you haven't heard for a long time? Just how quickly do you think
we can install and test a new version, any way? Do you want daily
updates?

If I had a complaint it would be that the ChangeLog didn't change even
when the directories did. I do a "dir -tr" every few days in the SLS
directory so I can track when comething changes.
--
Bill Davidsen, davidsen%sixhu...@uunet.uu.net
TMR Associates, +1 518-370-5654

ehh...@staff.tc.umn.edu

Jul 15, 1993, 3:16:06 AM7/15/93
In article <66...@sixhub.UUCP> davi...@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <CA0M2...@news2.cis.umn.edu> ehh...@staff.tc.umn.edu writes:
>
>| good? it's too appealing! I would like a copy right now! :)
>|
>| I would think that a lot of people would be interested, as the SLS has
>| slowed down to barely moving. We haven't heard from Peter for a long time
>| about SLS, it seems.
>
>What?? The last changes on tsx-11 were July 2, and you post on July 11
>and say you haven't heard for a long time? Just how quickly do you think
>we can install and test a new version, any way? Do you want daily
>updates?
>
>If I had a complaint it would be that the ChangeLog didn't change even
>when the directories did. I do a "dir -tr" every few days in the SLS
>directory so I can track when comething changes.
>--

Does it sound like I am complaining to you? I like the SLS version,
a lot! :) It runs great.

But what I was talking about was a new full distribution of SLS that included
the new kernel, pl10 or pl11alpha, with Xfree 1.3 and gcc 2.4.5 and other
goodies.

At the time of the post, July 11, we haven't heard about the new SLS test
version yet. And I thought that Xfree 1.3 and gcc 2.4.5 was already a
*great* reason to have 1.03 SLS.

*cool down* , no one is shouting at you.

Steven J Fox

Jul 15, 1993, 3:20:28 PM7/15/93
From article <66...@sixhub.UUCP>, by davi...@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
:> What?? The last changes on tsx-11 were July 2, and you post on July 11

:> and say you haven't heard for a long time? Just how quickly do you think
:> we can install and test a new version, any way? Do you want daily
:> updates?
:>
try in the /pub/linux/packages/SLS/test directory. Patches to the
SLS install in the SLS directory.

:> If I had a complaint it would be that the ChangeLog didn't change even

:> when the directories did. I do a "dir -tr" every few days in the SLS
:> directory so I can track when comething changes.
:> --
:> Bill Davidsen, davidsen%sixhu...@uunet.uu.net
:> TMR Associates, +1 518-370-5654
:> C programming, data gathering, porting to open systems, heterogeneous
:> environments, computer controlled housing, custom software

f...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

Peter MacDonald

Jul 18, 1993, 7:10:21 PM7/18/93
In article <CA734...@news2.cis.umn.edu> ehh...@staff.tc.umn.edu () writes:
>In article <66...@sixhub.UUCP> davi...@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>In article <CA0M2...@news2.cis.umn.edu> ehh...@staff.tc.umn.edu writes:

>Does it sound like I am complaining to you? I like the SLS version,
>a lot! :) It runs great.
>
>But what I was talking about was a new full distribution of SLS that included
>the new kernel, pl10 or pl11alpha, with Xfree 1.3 and gcc 2.4.5 and other
> goodies.
>
>At the time of the post, July 11, we haven't heard about the new SLS test
>version yet. And I thought that Xfree 1.3 and gcc 2.4.5 was already a
>*great* reason to have 1.03 SLS.

Let me say this again. SLS has not been updated to to these things because
the kernel is not stable enough. All of the above require the new kernel
to be used. I do not blast this across col because it comes off sounding
like complaining, which I am not doing: 99p9 is just fine for mine and
most peoples use, until a solid alternative is available.

Now I don't know what kind of test environment you use, but the main changes
in 99p10 and above are to the networking code. My test environment is
highly utilizing networking, particularly NFS. In every release since 99p10,
I have had problems like kernel panics, machine lockup, reboots, flooded networks,
corruption of filesystems, and core dumps of some binaries.

The current SLS 99p9 is usable in a production, Internet attached environment.
The testing release is not. Until I can say that with confidence, SLS will
not be upgraded.

Peter

PERUCCI, PHILIP A.

Jul 18, 1993, 9:07:08 PM7/18/93
In <1993Jul18....@sol.UVic.CA> pmacdona@sanjuan writes:
>[...]

> The current SLS 99p9 is usable in a production, Internet attached environment.
> The testing release is not. Until I can say that with confidence, SLS will
> not be upgraded.
>[...]

Anyone know how the IPC code in the new kernel is doing these days? I would
like to run Postgres, which currently requires an IPC patch, but would like
to wait if new versions of kernel and Postgres port fix this...

Phil Perucci, Systems Programmer | "I don't speak for any organization
ssb...@imcvms.med.navy.mil | and no organization speaks for me"

Amos Shapira

Jul 16, 1993, 8:37:52 AM7/16/93
In article <224als...@uwm.edu> f...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven J Fox) writes:

try in the /pub/linux/packages/SLS/test directory. Patches to the
SLS install in the SLS directory.

I copied this directory but I'm unsure how I should use it. Should I move
the files from there to the various [a-z][0-9] directories (on my FTP site)
and then copy the new directories to floppies? Or is there some SLS script to
take advantage of this directory?

Thanks for any help,

--Amos
--
--Amos Shapira (Jumper Extraordinaire) | "It is true that power corrupts,
C.S. System Group, Hebrew University, | but absolute power is better!"

Marc G. Fournier

Jul 20, 1993, 9:26:00 PM7/20/93
In article <1993Jul18....@sol.uvic.ca> pmacdona@sanjuan (Peter MacDonald) writes:

>Let me say this again. SLS has not been updated to to these things because
>the kernel is not stable enough. All of the above require the new kernel
>to be used. I do not blast this across col because it comes off sounding
>like complaining, which I am not doing: 99p9 is just fine for mine and
>most peoples use, until a solid alternative is available.
>
>Now I don't know what kind of test environment you use, but the main changes
>in 99p10 and above are to the networking code. My test environment is
>highly utilizing networking, particularly NFS. In every release since 99p10,
>I have had problems like kernel panics, machine lockup, reboots, flooded networks,
>corruption of filesystems, and core dumps of some binaries.
>
>The current SLS 99p9 is usable in a production, Internet attached environment.
>The testing release is not. Until I can say that with confidence, SLS will
>not be upgraded.

I will have to disagree with this...we originally tried out SLS 99p9
for our system, which is a "production, Internet attached environment" and
we had too many problems with the networking code, so as soon as 99p9
with the net-2 code came out, we switched up. Except for the nfs
code, things run great. One machine is being used as an nntp server
to the main machines, and the other is a shell system for our users
to use...problem is that one requires the nfs :( But we are still using
it, and have up to 10 users rlogin'ng into the machine at any one time

Marc

Peter MacDonald

Jul 21, 1993, 11:03:29 AM7/21/93
In article <22i5v8$j...@ionews.io.org> ma...@io.org (Marc G. Fournier) writes:
>In article <1993Jul18....@sol.uvic.ca> pmacdona@sanjuan (Peter MacDonald) writes:
>>
>>Let me say this again. SLS has not been updated to to these things because
>>the kernel is not stable enough. All of the above require the new kernel

> I will have to disagree with this...we originally tried out SLS 99p9
>for our system, which is a "production, Internet attached environment" and
>we had too many problems with the networking code, so as soon as 99p9
>with the net-2 code came out, we switched up. Except for the nfs
>code, things run great. One machine is being used as an nntp server
>to the main machines, and the other is a shell system for our users
>to use...problem is that one requires the nfs :( But we are still using
>it, and have up to 10 users rlogin'ng into the machine at any one time
>
>Marc

Have you seen 99p9 reboot or lock up? How about FS corruption?
I have seen these with the above kernels, but not with p9.
I am not contending that everything works perfectly in 99p9.
But I consider such massive failures as above to be unacceptable.
It is fortunate for you that you have not seen these problems in p10+.

Peter

Alan Cox

Jul 22, 1993, 6:58:35 AM7/22/93

I'd side with Peter: 0.99.10 isn't good on a busy network, it crashed all the
time. There are bugs in arp (still in 0.99.11 - but someone has posted a fix
now at least 8-)) which can cause memory corruption, and 0.99.11 loses
memory attached to a network.
Most of the 0.99.10 problems are network. I only saw file corruption with
either nfs running or before the arp bug got patched. Since we are running
a 0.99.9 machine on a busy ethernet (using the floppy drive regularly
gives wd: rx overrun reports due to the amount of ethernet traffic) 0.99.10/11
isn't yet viable. It's getting there but until the networking is fixed I'll
stay with 0.99.9 on the internet, its buggy networking but its _SAFE_ buggy
networking.

Alan

Clayton Haapala

Jul 25, 1993, 10:17:19 AM7/25/93
In article <22re10$2...@jacobs.jacobs.mn.org> ro...@jacobs.jacobs.mn.org (Mike Horwath) writes:
>Friend of mine and I just installed a system on the net a few weeks ago,
>running 99pl10, it would have to be rebooted daily, problems up the ying
>yang. Last week, that said friend updated the system to 99pl11 (not alpha)
>and it has been up since. Not a problem at all as far as I know.
>
>Just my quick comment on this thread...

Being that said friend... :-)

I also upgraded the libc, etc. to 4.4.1 -- this may also have had some
effect to the better.

As to memory leaks, that box only has 4 Meg, and 10 Meg of swap. It receives
Megabytes/day via rcp. This must not be springing any memory leak, or it
would be apparent relatively quickly.
--
Clay Haapala "Well, there was the process of sitting around
cl...@haapi.mn.org and wishing I had more computer stuff."

Kimmo Lahtinen

Jul 26, 1993, 2:29:01 AM7/26/93
In article <1993Jul22.1...@swan.pyr>, iii...@swan.pyr (Alan Cox) writes:

|> stay with 0.99.9 on the internet, its buggy networking but its _SAFE_ buggy
|> networking.
|>
|> Alan

I wonder if I have seen the problems you mention. I am using SLS 1.01
and it is running as a printer server (lpd). Every now and then it seems
to stop communicating to others lpd's. And then also rlogin does not work.
I have not figured other solution to this than reboot.

Can you suggest any workaround?

Kimmo

Kimmo Lahtinen E-Mail : Kimmo.L...@fmi.fi
Finnish Meteorological Institute Phone : +358 0 758 1322
Possessed by a Spirit G3 Fax : +358 0 758 1396