How to pronounce "Linux"?

Ng Pheng Siong

Apr 23, 1992, 12:43:17 AM4/23/92
I apologize if this is considered trivial, but what is the
proper pronunciation for "Linux"?

Li lee or lie?
Nux nuks or nerks? Nooks?

Anyone?

PhengSiong
Singapore (Which schools teach English not American.)

Linus Benedict Torvalds

Apr 23, 1992, 8:32:16 AM4/23/92
In article <1992Apr23....@nuscc.nus.sg> npn...@solomon.technet.sg (Ng Pheng Siong) writes:
>I apologize if this is considered trivial, but what is the
>proper pronunciation for "Linux"?
>
>Li lee or lie?
>Nux nuks or nerks? Nooks?

Oh god. We just hashed this through on alt.os.linux. It /definitely/
needs to go into the FAQ.

'li' is pronounced with a short [ee] sound: compare prInt, mInImal etc.
'nux' is also short, non-diphtong, like in pUt. It's partly due to
minix: linux was just my working name for the thing, and as I wrote it
to replace minix on my system, the result is what it is... linus' minix
became linux.

I originally intended it to be called freax (although buggix was one
contender after I got fed up with some of the more persistent bugs :)
and I think the kernel makefiles up to version 0.11 had something to
that effect ("Makefile for the freax kernel" in a comment). But arl
called the linux directory at nic.funet.fi pub/OS/Linux, and the name
stuck. Maybe just as well: freax doesn't sound too good either (freax
is obviosly free + freak + the obligatory -x).

Linus

Malcolm Ray

Apr 28, 1992, 1:36:36 PM4/28/92
In article <1992Apr23.1...@klaava.Helsinki.FI> torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
[stuff about the name 'Linux']

>I originally intended it to be called freax (although buggix was one
>contender after I got fed up with some of the more persistent bugs :)
>and I think the kernel makefiles up to version 0.11 had something to
>that effect ("Makefile for the freax kernel" in a comment). But arl
>called the linux directory at nic.funet.fi pub/OS/Linux, and the name
>stuck. Maybe just as well: freax doesn't sound too good either (freax
>is obviosly free + freak + the obligatory -x).
>
> Linus

Personally, I've always thought it should be called 'Nina':
'Neither is Nina, actually'. By analogy with GNU, you know... :-)