Running minicom....Help!!!

Andre Taube

Dec 5, 1994, 10:33:41 PM12/5/94

Ok, everybody is probably sick of my questions, but you, guys,
are the best source of information ... ( of course after RTFM ).

anyways ... could anybody, please, help me to solve this problem:

I have 14.4 modem and when I connect to my school using minicom
( I am sure that I am using right comm parameters ), it works
SLOW. Actually it goes smooth for several seconds, and suddenly
stops for second or two.
What could be a problem????

BTW, when I use modem from DOS ( using procomm ) it works fine!

Also, do I need any special settings to transfer files???
I have not succeeded doing that yet!

Thanks a lot!!!

Andre

Daniel Linder

Dec 6, 1994, 2:31:35 PM12/6/94
Andre Taube (ata...@hawk.depaul.edu) wrote:
: I have 14.4 modem and when I connect to my school using minicom

: ( I am sure that I am using right comm parameters ), it works
: SLOW. Actually it goes smooth for several seconds, and suddenly
: stops for second or two.
: What could be a problem????
: Also, do I need any special settings to transfer files???

: I have not succeeded doing that yet!

Hello!

You don't say, but some things to check are the speed of the CPU and
if you have a 16550A UART talking with the modem. Under DOS, the comm
program is the only thing taking up resources on the CPU. Under Linux
there are many more things that get the CPU and not let the application
get everything as smooth as silk. In general, I would probably try
this:
stty crtscts < /dev/[modem line]
and
stty crtscts <-- when logged on.
On some Unix boxes, this is an acceptable parameter and it REALLY helps
file transfer on the systems I have used.

Good luck!
Dan

Ross Berman

Dec 7, 1994, 12:59:17 PM12/7/94
And ata...@hawk.depaul.edu (Andre Taube) then contended:
I posted a week ago with the same problem. Does anyone know what the
problem is? Thanks.

--
"You mean, you'll put down your rock, ,,,,, ch...@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu
and I'll put down my sword and we'll |O O| rbe...@farad.elee.calpoly.edu

jonathan hankins

Dec 7, 1994, 2:48:47 PM12/7/94
>get everything as smooth as silk. In general, I would probably try
>this:
> stty crtscts < /dev/[modem line]
>and
> stty crtscts <-- when logged on.
>On some Unix boxes, this is an acceptable parameter and it REALLY helps
>file transfer on the systems I have used.
>
>Good luck!
>Dan

Also, try stty -clocal
I had a problem with the I/O buffer not flushing til every 20th character
or something like that...but this helped.

jhan...@nyx.cs.du.edu

FRIEDRICH TAFILL

Dec 7, 1994, 5:12:59 PM12/7/94
Andre Taube (ata...@hawk.depaul.edu) wrote:

: Ok, everybody is probably sick of my questions, but you, guys,

: Thanks a lot!!!

: Andre

You don't need a 16550A-UART-chip, I have a 16450-chip on my serial boar,
and it works fine with 14400.

Martin

Andre Taube

Dec 7, 1994, 10:38:30 PM12/7/94
In article <3c5c1b$r...@news.tuwien.ac.at>,

FRIEDRICH TAFILL <e852...@stud1.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>Andre Taube (ata...@hawk.depaul.edu) wrote:
>
>: Ok, everybody is probably sick of my questions, but you, guys,
>: [ QUESTION ABOUT MINICOM ] ..............

>You don't need a 16550A-UART-chip, I have a 16450-chip on my serial boar,
>and it works fine with 14400.
>
>Martin

What chip are you talking about??????

Jim Buchanan

Dec 8, 1994, 7:16:46 AM12/8/94

In article <1994Dec6.0...@hal.depaul.edu>, ata...@hawk.depaul.edu (Andre Taube) writes:
[...]

> Also, do I need any special settings to transfer files???
> I have not succeeded doing that yet!

Are you using sz and rz? BTW, they weren't in my distribution (unless I
answered a question incorrectly) and I had to ftp them from tsx-11.mit.edu
Before I installed them, the blue file transfer window in minicom would
flash up, then disappear with no error messages.

When you try to download, does rz freeze until you hit a series of ^X's?

Is the /tmp/rzlog full of time out messages?

I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and that
others report the same problems running sz and rz on other platforms.

I too can use a DOS program to download, even using the same copy of sz on
the remote machine, which makes me fairly sure that the problem is on my
end. I've read all the appropriate man pages and files that I ftp'd with sz
and rz, nothing seemed applicable.

--
Jim Buchanan N9SDV
c22...@kopt0002.delcoelect.com Catch 22

Riyadth Al-Kazily

Dec 8, 1994, 11:44:41 AM12/8/94
In article <3c6tfe$m...@kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>,

Jim Buchanan <c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com> wrote:
> I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
> comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and that
> others report the same problems running sz and rz on other platforms.

I have this problem also, but the X-based terminal program 'Seyon' works
just fine for Zmodem downloads. I have no idea what needs to be tweaked
to make Minicom download correctly, and would appreciate someone sharing
the secret.

> Jim Buchanan N9SDV
> c22...@kopt0002.delcoelect.com Catch 22
> jbuc...@holli.com
> '73 BMW R75/5 "Frau Bluecher"

-Riyadth Al-Kazily
riy...@boi.hp.com
'83 BMW R65
--
-- Riyadth Al-Kazily Hewlett-Packard Advanced LaserJet Operation --
-- riy...@boi.hp.com (208) 396-4987 Boise, Idaho KB7YWE DoD #295 --

Moth

Dec 8, 1994, 12:10:46 PM12/8/94

In article <D0I3u...@boi.hp.com>,

Riyadth Al-Kazily <riy...@boi.hp.com> wrote:
>In article <3c6tfe$m...@kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>,
>Jim Buchanan <c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com> wrote:
>> I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
>> comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and that
>> others report the same problems running sz and rz on other platforms.
>
>I have this problem also, but the X-based terminal program 'Seyon' works
>just fine for Zmodem downloads. I have no idea what needs to be tweaked
>to make Minicom download correctly, and would appreciate someone sharing
>the secret.
>
>> Jim Buchanan N9SDV
>> c22...@kopt0002.delcoelect.com Catch 22
>> jbuc...@holli.com
>> '73 BMW R75/5 "Frau Bluecher"

Well, I've got problems downloading as well, but they go away if I run
minicom as root.... Any ideas?
--
Jeff Edgett (Moth)
edg...@cats.ucsc.edu

Andre Taube

Dec 8, 1994, 4:41:59 PM12/8/94
In article <3c6tfe$m...@kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>,
Jim Buchanan <c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com> wrote:

>In article <1994Dec6.0...@hal.depaul.edu>, ata...@hawk.depaul.edu (Andre Taube) writes:
>[...]
>> Also, do I need any special settings to transfer files???
>> I have not succeeded doing that yet!
>
>Are you using sz and rz? BTW, they weren't in my distribution (unless I
>Before I installed them, the blue file transfer window in minicom would
>
>When you try to download, does rz freeze until you hit a series of ^X's?
>
>Is the /tmp/rzlog full of time out messages?
>
>I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
>comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and that
>others report the same problems running sz and rz on other platforms.

Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.
I did not have a chance to try it , but I sertanly will!

Miquel van Smoorenburg

Dec 8, 1994, 2:25:24 PM12/8/94
In article <1994Dec07.1...@zeus.aix.calpoly.edu>,

Ross Berman <ch...@harp.aix.calpoly.edu> wrote:
>And ata...@hawk.depaul.edu (Andre Taube) then contended:
>>
>>Ok, everybody is probably sick of my questions, but you, guys,
>>are the best source of information ... ( of course after RTFM ).
>>
>>anyways ... could anybody, please, help me to solve this problem:
>>
>>I have 14.4 modem and when I connect to my school using minicom
>>( I am sure that I am using right comm parameters ), it works
>>SLOW. Actually it goes smooth for several seconds, and suddenly
>>stops for second or two.
>>What could be a problem????
>>
>>BTW, when I use modem from DOS ( using procomm ) it works fine!
>>
>>Also, do I need any special settings to transfer files???
>>I have not succeeded doing that yet!
>>
>I posted a week ago with the same problem. Does anyone know what the
>problem is? Thanks.

Do you have a getty enabled on the same port (in /etc/inittab) ?
As far as the file tranfer problems go, you are using too recent
sz/rz zmodem versions. They are downgraded each release.

Mike.
--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg | Hey Beavis, I've heard these guys are bilingual.. |
| miq...@drinkel.ow.org | - Yeah, they're all sexual perverts. Huhu. |

Brian Curti Harvell

Dec 10, 1994, 7:19:49 AM12/10/94
>Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.
>I did not have a chance to try it , but I sertanly will!

I had this problem too but I messed around with the settings and now I can't
download at all root or no root. I even grabbed the comms.tgz from the
slackware dist and tried another set of rz/sz???????????
Brian

Chris Fearnley

Dec 10, 1994, 8:13:56 AM12/10/94
Riyadth Al-Kazily (riy...@boi.hp.com) wrote:
> In article <3c6tfe$m...@kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>,
> Jim Buchanan <c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com> wrote:
> > I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
> > comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and that
> > others report the same problems running sz and rz on other platforms.

> I have this problem also, but the X-based terminal program 'Seyon' works
> just fine for Zmodem downloads. I have no idea what needs to be tweaked
> to make Minicom download correctly, and would appreciate someone sharing
> the secret.

I got minicom to dl by adding /var/adm/[sr]zlog and making it world
writable. I got rz to work both with the lrz of Slackware 2.1 and an
older 1.2 version which I had on backup tape. sz still fails for me
with minicom :( I only got automatic zmodem dl with minicom on some
systems. So I suspect minicom's zmodem support is a bit immature.

I too solved my minicom zmodem woes by switching to seyon (which is
actually pretty neat).

--
Christopher J. Fearnley | UNIX SIG Leader at PACS
c...@netaxs.com | (Philadelphia Area Computer Society)

Tong Chi Wa

Dec 11, 1994, 11:57:12 PM12/11/94
Brian Curti Harvell (ki...@chopin.udel.edu) wrote:
: >Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.

In the latest slackware release(2.1), the behavior of the sz/rz
programs change a bit. If invoked with -vv, they now require
append access rights to the log file at /var/adm/[s,r]zlog. You need
to create those files by hand(touch /var/adm/[s,r]zlog) and set
the appropiate file access rights. A problem with this solution is
that all progress indicators would also be written to the log file.

A better solution is to get the sources
(ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/slackware_sources/a/comms/lrzsz...) and
changed the program to redirect output to the log files only
when a debug log file is really wanted.

The lines in the original source looked like (the following is from memory)

if (Verbose) {
freopen(..

To have progress outputs during transfer, changed the lines to

if (Verbose > 2) {
freopen(..

Hope this helps.

Jim Buchanan

Dec 12, 1994, 8:38:21 AM12/12/94

In article <1994Dec8.2...@hal.depaul.edu>, ata...@hawk.depaul.edu (Andre Taube) writes:
> In article <3c6tfe$m...@kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>,
> Jim Buchanan <c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com> wrote:
[...]

> >I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
> >comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and that
> >others report the same problems running sz and rz on other platforms.
>
> Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.
> I did not have a chance to try it , but I sertanly will!

I did try this yesterday, and it solved my problem. Thanks to all who
suggested it.

BTW, for those who don't know, -v and -vv are logging options. I'm going to
try to figure out why using them causes problems. rz writes the log to
/tmp/rzlog, and the account running rz does have permission to write to
this directory...

--
Jim Buchanan Windows: The only computer virus
c22...@kopt0002.delcoelect.com with a user interface.

Mathewson Craig

Dec 12, 1994, 2:05:09 PM12/12/94
Are there any versions of the Linux kernel that have device drivers built in that
allow you to take advantage of an EIDE card?
Even alpha version would be good.

I don't mean the 1024 limit thingy I mean multiple block move, mode 3 support
I/O channel RDY etc.

Craig
cmat...@crim.ca

fu...@ziavms.enmu.edu

Dec 13, 1994, 11:07:47 PM12/13/94

With some versions of RZ and SZ you have to redirect its standard input
and output to the modem for it to work. Try this in your configuration:

For sending:

sz </dev/modem >/dev/modem

For receiving:

rx </dev/modem >/dev/modem

(If you can't read my message, don't blame me. I'm using a Vax
text editor and it sucks!)

-J

Kevin Labore

Dec 14, 1994, 9:55:57 AM12/14/94
In article <1994Dec8.2...@hal.depaul.edu>,
Well I tried that and it didnt help me...

Andre Taube

Dec 14, 1994, 2:27:53 PM12/14/94
Did not help me either, I still cannot transfer any files!!!!!!!!

Andre

Daniel Linder

Dec 14, 1994, 7:24:34 PM12/14/94

: In article <D0t2t...@mv.mv.com>, Kevin Labore <kev...@mv.mv.com> wrote:
: >In article <1994Dec8.2...@hal.depaul.edu>,
: >Andre Taube <ata...@hawk.depaul.edu> wrote:
: >>Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.
: >>I did not have a chance to try it , but I sertanly will!
: >Well I tried that and it didnt help me...
: Did not help me either, I still cannot transfer any files!!!!!!!!

First off, forgive me if I got the "XXX wrote:" this thread is getting
quite long!

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but for me doing
stty crtscts
when I get logged in to the remote machine seems to do the trick.
Might also want to do:
stty crtscts < /dev/modem
on your local end.

Dan

Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen

Dec 15, 1994, 8:11:46 AM12/15/94

>>>Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.
>>>I did not have a chance to try it , but I sertanly will!
>>>

>>Well I tried that and it didnt help me...
>>

>Did not help me either, I still cannot transfer any files!!!!!!!!
>
>Andre

Can you transfer stuff as root? I found in the Slackware 2.0.2
distribution that rzlog/szlog were writable by root only which caused
immediate (and silent :-) termination of the rz/sz. After doing a chmod
a+w /var/adm/* I had much more success.

Now, if somebody could tell me how I could get the transfer messages in
the little blue window instead of a 'tail -f /var/adm/rzlog' in another
window, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

--
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen "...and...Tubular Bells!"
ra...@imada.ou.dk

Francesco Chemolli

Dec 16, 1994, 8:48:29 AM12/16/94
cmat...@xvnews.unconfigured.domain (Mathewson Craig) writes:

>Craig
>cmat...@crim.ca

ide-patch should (dunno, I don't have EIDE )

Michael E. Lovell

Dec 16, 1994, 7:35:35 PM12/16/94
In message 12 Dec 1994 13:38:21 GMT,
c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com (Jim Buchanan) writes:

> In article <1994Dec8.2...@hal.depaul.edu>, ata...@hawk.depaul.edu
> (Andre Taube) writes:
>> In article <3c6tfe$m...@kocrsv08.delcoelect.com>,
>> Jim Buchanan <c22...@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>
>> >I'm running into this problem, and have asked about it on
>> >comp.os.linux.help All I have found out is that I'm not alone, and
>> that >others report the same problems running sz and rz on other
>> platforms.

>> t Someone suggestd to get rid of -vv (?? ) options from sz or rz.

>> I did not have a chance to try it , but I sertanly will!
>>

> I did try this yesterday, and it solved my problem. Thanks to all who
> suggested it.
>
> BTW, for those who don't know, -v and -vv are logging options. I'm going
> to try to figure out why using them causes problems. rz writes the log to
> /tmp/rzlog, and the account running rz does have permission to write to
> this directory...
>
> --
> Jim Buchanan Windows: The only computer virus
> c22...@kopt0002.delcoelect.com with a user interface.
> jbuc...@holli.com
> '73 BMW R75/5 "Frau Bluecher"

Is there any way to use tee to somehow get both transfer info in the
transfer window AND logging to the rzlog file? Also is there any option to
sz/rz that gives more complete tranfer info, including CPS rate, percent of
tranfer completed, time left, etc.? I'm used to this leve of information
with Telemate in DOS and I miss it.

| Michael E. Lovell <melo...@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu> (309)-438-5598 <work> |
| Disclaimer: Contents under pressure, do not expose to open flame. |
| Ideas are from my own twisted brain and have nothing to do with my |
| employer or any other rational organization or individual. (Did I just |
|call ISU a rational organization? My mind must be fried!) |

Christian Guenther

Dec 18, 1994, 7:00:44 PM12/18/94
ata...@hawk.depaul.edu (Andre Taube) writes:

I compiled a new rz/sz to run minicom.

Christian

Christian Guenther
Dunckerstrasse 10
10437 Berlin
Germany
Fax: +49 030 4464152 E-Mail: nomi...@w350zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de
Tel: +49 030 4442931 guen...@laokoon.in-berlin.de

Steve Holmes

Dec 23, 1994, 8:13:31 PM12/23/94
I noticed a lengthy thread here about trying to send/receive files
using sz/rz and Minicom. I had no trouble at all doing this while I
logged in as root and ran it from there. However, I did have some
trouble doing it from other id's on my machine. What I had to do was
permit global write permissions on rzlog and szlog which reside in
/var/adm on my slackware linux distribution. The only complaint I
have is being unable to display rz/sz progress messages during the
transfer. All I get is the upload/download box on the screen but sz
and rz direct their output to szlog and rzlog respectively.
<Steve> Holmes
яяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяя

Joe Name

Jan 5, 1995, 6:56:13 PM1/5/95
>ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

I have noticed the same thing... Can someone point us in the right
direction?

ps. using seyon through X is much better.

Wayne Adams

Jan 16, 1995, 8:33:16 PM1/16/95
Joe Name (cybr...@cei.net) wrote:

: In article <SAHOLMES.94...@holmes.ramp.com>, saho...@holmes.ramp.com (Steve Holmes) says:
: >
[...]

Minicom is avail. now as 1.60b and has an excellent doc on if your using
the newer zmodem & it not running right in a window.
It appears it has something to do with Chuck Forsenburger's (sp?) newer
zmodem not using a stdin & stdout, but justs open a dev/tty. This is a
copy of what I have. Try this change in the file "rbsb.c":

**** rz / sz and Minicom ****
/* Line 336 */
/* Initialize tty device for serial file xfer */
inittty()
{
#ifndef HVM
Tty = open("/dev/tty", 2);
if (Tty < 0) {
perror("/dev/tty"); exit(2);
}
#else
Tty = 1;
#endif
Ttystream = fdopen(Tty, "W");
setbuf(Ttystream,xXbuf);
}
And to get the logging ouput to the screen instead of to the /tmp/szlog,
change the following in sz.c:
if (npats < 1 && !Command && !Test)
usage();
if (Verbose) {
/* line 403 of sz.c */
#ifndef HVM
if (freopen(LOGFILE, "a", stderr)==NULL) {
printf("Cant open log file %s\n",LOGFILE);
exit(2);
}
#endif
setbuf(stderr, NULL);
}
vfile("%s %s for %s\n", Progname, VERSION, OS);
You may want to change the same in the file "rz.c" also, around line 249.
It is now possible to use the -v[vv] flag with rz/sz & see the debugging
ouput appear in the status window.

You have to define 'HVM' to make change effective of course!

If you are using these modified versions with minocom, I recommend that
the extra verbose flags to rz and sz when calling them. This can be done
easily in minicom; go to the "File transfer protocols" menu and add the
option '-vvv' to all the instances of sz, sb, sx, rz, rb and rx.

Please read the copyright notes in the documentation of the Unix zmodem
programs.

Jason Clary

Jan 18, 1995, 6:02:14 PM1/18/95
Joe Name (cybr...@cei.net) wrote:

[...]

I asked about the same problem about a week ago and got a very nice
response. Hopefully I can help you out here..

edit the transfer configuration and take out the -vv on the command
lines of all the the ?z programs.. works great.

Although I'm used to TeleMate under DOS which gives you a nice
cps rate continuously updated during the Xfer... But, it gives you
how many bytes sent and total bytes to send which is realy all
you NEED to keep from going insane.. :)

Later Dudes..

--
Jason Clary a.k.a WarpEd | "Once in a thousand years there comes
Dallas, TX - USA | a truely insane genious. If that man

Mike Black

Jan 20, 1995, 2:22:51 PM1/20/95
jcl...@sdf.saomai.org (Jason Clary) wrote:
>Joe Name (cybr...@cei.net) wrote:
>: In article <SAHOLMES.94...@holmes.ramp.com>, saho...@holmes.ramp.com (Steve Holmes) says:
>: >
>: >I noticed a lengthy thread here about trying to send/receive files
>: >using sz/rz and Minicom. I had no trouble at all doing this while I
>: >logged in as root and ran it from there. However, I did have some
>: >trouble doing it from other id's on my machine. What I had to do was
>: >permit global write permissions on rzlog and szlog which reside in
>: >/var/adm on my slackware linux distribution. The only complaint I
>: >have is being unable to display rz/sz progress messages during the
>: >transfer. All I get is the upload/download box on the screen but sz
>: >and rz direct their output to szlog and rzlog respectively.
>: ><Steve> Holmes
>
>: I have noticed the same thing... Can someone point us in the right
>: direction?
>
>: ps. using seyon through X is much better.
>
>I asked about the same problem about a week ago and got a very nice
>response. Hopefully I can help you out here..
>
>edit the transfer configuration and take out the -vv on the command
>lines of all the the ?z programs.. works great.
>
>Although I'm used to TeleMate under DOS which gives you a nice
>cps rate continuously updated during the Xfer... But, it gives you
>how many bytes sent and total bytes to send which is realy all
>you NEED to keep from going insane.. :)

Another option is to get sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/Incoming/lrzsz-0.12a.tar.gz
Then add the -vv back in and you will get BPS and ETA info along with
the old info.

Michael D. Black
Computer Science Innovations, Inc.
1235 Evans Road