Can't configure X!!

Red Death

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
I hope I haven't missed an obvious solution to this problem somewhere - but
it's slowly driving me mad...

I've installed Debian 1.3.1 (older version, I'm sure, I've had the CDs for
about a year) and am trying to configure Xwindows.

I can successfully start XF86Setup and even get my intellimouse to work but
I can't seem to find a happy configuration for my Permedia 3000 graphics
card. There is no preset for my card and I've tried to 'hand-configure' it
but every time I finish configuring and XF86Setup exits and tries to fire up
the server my monitor goes blank (even the power light goes from green to
amber(stand-by mode) - the first 2 times I had no chioce but to power off
(OUCH!) and run e2fsk manually to recover - since then I've learned to exit
Xwindows (Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc) blindly (the video never does come back - but at
least I can hear the exit beep and shut down nicely)

Obviously, I'd like to take full advantage of the capabilities of my card -
but I'll settle for just being able to see the screen :)

If anyone can offer some advice as to where to start, I'd appreciate it!
I've got 'LINUX - The Complete Reference' the book with all the HOWTO's and
stuff - although I don't know if that's totally accurate because of it's age
either (also about a year) but any refernces to HOWTO's or web pages or just
a message from somebody who has a Permedia 3000 card working under LINUX
would be great!

Thanks for helping....

Chuck
redd...@en.com

Cybiades

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98

Red Death wrote in message ...

>I hope I haven't missed an obvious solution to this problem somewhere -
but
>it's slowly driving me mad...
>
>I've installed Debian 1.3.1 (older version, I'm sure, I've had the CDs
for
>about a year) and am trying to configure Xwindows.
>
>I can successfully start XF86Setup and even get my intellimouse to work
but
>I can't seem to find a happy configuration for my Permedia 3000
graphics
>card.

Hi Chuck
Try out http://www.suse.de
They should have a server for the Permedia card...make sure to get the
xf86config file they have there as well too, as the standard X setup
progs won't know what the server is.
'Later
Peter
--