New version of procps

Michael K. Johnson

Jan 25, 1993, 1:25:47 AM1/25/93
The most recent version of procps, my /proc-based ps suite, is
available as
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/procps/procps.tar.Z

Included: ps, w, uptime, free, tload, and xload. If anyone wants to
write top, contact me for info. I don't use top, myself... Due to
lack of coordination on my part, there is nothing yet which uses the
/proc/kmsg facilities at this time. Soon.

ps.1 is included. If anyone feels like writing documentation for any
of the other utilities, please contact me, as I will be glad to have
it written. I'd do it myself but for the little matter of time...
Once I get documentation for everything, this will no longer be in the
beta directory.

Several little bugs were fixed in ps (and it is 10% faster to boot),
and we have a real uptime and w, although they are strictly *not*
derived from the BSD source, as I feel that there are a couple of
gratuitous bugs in the BSD version, their copyright takes up too much
room, and this version is cleaner. Most of the implementation was
done by Larry Greenfield.

There is a small bug in at least older versions of the proc filesystem
(I haven't checked the newest kernels) that keeps any process with a
pid of over 32K from being displayed. I'm pretty sure how to fix it,
even without looking, but won't have time for a few days, and it might
be fixed in the latest kernels, anyway. It's not that big a deal,
anyway: it took my computer several hours of "while /bin/true" to add
32K or so to my process counter to exibit the bug, and I had already
had nearly a week of uptime under X... However, it might bite some
people, so I thought that I would mention it.

michaelkjohnson

--
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-a...@tc.cornell.edu