Linux desktop usage dropping fast: now around 1%

DFS

Jun 14, 2017, 12:44:35 PM6/14/17
https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-os/os-family-timeseries

http://imgur.com/a/EJSOb

Soon Google will replace Android and poof! the Linux "operating system"
is back to where it only ever belonged: as a dumb OS hosting databases
and files.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 12:51:07 PM6/14/17
Replace it with what?

Me Sham

Jun 14, 2017, 12:52:24 PM6/14/17
Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.

chrisv

Jun 14, 2017, 12:58:39 PM6/14/17
Me Sham wrote:

> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.

That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
want people to think, anyway.

Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
it" FUD.

--
"Google says they're targeting (Chrome OS) at people who live on the
internet. That seems like a pretty small percentage of people to me."

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 1:02:00 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Me Sham wrote:
>
>> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.
>
> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
> want people to think, anyway.
>
> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
> it" FUD.

Windows 10 is crap. Lot of users turn to Linux currently ;)

Me Sham

Jun 14, 2017, 1:05:11 PM6/14/17
Desktop Linux wouldn't be stagnating if that were the case.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 14, 2017, 1:36:39 PM6/14/17
Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2017-06-14, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Me Sham wrote:
>>
>>> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.
>>
>> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
>> want people to think, anyway.
>>
>> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
>> it" FUD.
>
> Windows 10 is crap. Lot of users turn to Linux currently ;)

Hence the increased FUD initiative.

Still holding at nigh unto 2% here:

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

--
You will meet an important person who will help you advance professionally.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 1:57:54 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Chris Ahlstrom <OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
>>> want people to think, anyway.
>>>
>>> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
>>> it" FUD.
>>
>> Windows 10 is crap. Lot of users turn to Linux currently ;)
>
> Hence the increased FUD initiative.
>
> Still holding at nigh unto 2% here:
>
> https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

To me it would be more interresting number of users that dual boot ;p

RonB

Jun 14, 2017, 2:00:41 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-os/os-family-timeseries
>>

>> http://imgur.com/a/EJSOb
>>

>> Soon Google will replace Android and poof! the Linux "operating system"
>> is back to where it only ever belonged: as a dumb OS hosting databases
>> and files.
>
> Replace it with what?

Why is everyone responding to this DuFuS troll?

--
Zero Tolerance for iCultists and WinTrolls

RonB

Jun 14, 2017, 2:01:58 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Me Sham wrote:
>
>> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.
>
> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
> want people to think, anyway.
>
> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
> it" FUD.

Linux has worked fine on the Desktop for close to ten years for me. Weird
how that works, huh?

RonB

Jun 14, 2017, 2:05:20 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Me Sham wrote:
>>
>>> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.
>>
>> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
>> want people to think, anyway.
>>
>> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
>> it" FUD.
>>
> Windows 10 is crap. Lot of users turn to Linux currently ;)

That's probably because, in Serbia (as you mentioned) you actually have to
pay extra for the Malware Magnet OS. In the United States you get it whether
you want it or not. And that's were inertia sets in. Most people will put up
with the inferior, malware-ridden, Windows OS because they're too lazy (or
uninformed) to install Linux.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 2:09:36 PM6/14/17
DFS can be interresting as he posts some programming.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 2:11:15 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, US has something wrong. eg dell and acer here sell Linux laptops
exclusivelly. Windows laptop you get only for higher end models.

DFS

Jun 14, 2017, 2:11:46 PM6/14/17
You gotta know your crowd.

Steve Carroll

Jun 14, 2017, 2:18:48 PM6/14/17
What's most amazing, to me, is that, Apple, one of the top 10 companies in
the world (by revenue) has about 7-8% and the free Linux has ~2%.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 2:22:23 PM6/14/17
Apple would be higher if they provide proper desktop machine. Mac Mini
hasn't been updated since 2014 ....

RonB

Jun 14, 2017, 2:46:14 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Replace it with what?
>>
>> Why is everyone responding to this DuFuS troll?
>>
> DFS can be interresting as he posts some programming.

Okay. But he also is into pure trolling for the sake of trolling.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 2:47:41 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> Why is everyone responding to this DuFuS troll?
>>>
>> DFS can be interresting as he posts some programming.
>
> Okay. But he also is into pure trolling for the sake of trolling.

Well, we can skip that ;p

Marek Novotny

Jun 14, 2017, 3:16:19 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, RonB <ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> Why is everyone responding to this DuFuS troll?
>>>
>> DFS can be interresting as he posts some programming.
>
> Okay. But he also is into pure trolling for the sake of trolling.

+1

--
Marek Novotny
https://github.com/marek-novotny

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:24:31 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 12:51 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>> https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-os/os-family-timeseries
>>

>> http://imgur.com/a/EJSOb
>>

>> Soon Google will replace Android and poof! the Linux "operating system"
>> is back to where it only ever belonged: as a dumb OS hosting databases
>> and files.
>
> Replace it with what?

Google plans on replacing it with their own, in-house kernel. Google
obviously wants to create a proprietary product and no longer wants to
share code with other manufacturers. I imagine that Android will
continue to exist through these companies but that Google will end up
with its own, Android-like product which may or may not preserve Android
compatibility.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia & EFF Member

Death to Islam

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:25:15 PM6/14/17
I can't speak for anyone else but I actually like DFS. I like most
everyone here except Peter the Klöwn and will read everyone's posts
regardless of whether they're assholes or not.

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:25:40 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 1:01 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Me Sham wrote:
>>
>>> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.
>>
>> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
>> want people to think, anyway.
>>
>> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
>> it" FUD.
>>
> Windows 10 is crap. Lot of users turn to Linux currently ;)

Evidence?

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:26:40 PM6/14/17
Considering how excellent Apple's marketing has been over the past 15-16
years, it's surprising that it never managed to break 15% in the United
States and 7-8% worldwide. I'd expect it to be much higher, especially
considering the popularity of the iPhone.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 3:26:58 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14 12:51 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
>> On 2017-06-14, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>>> https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-os/os-family-timeseries
>>>

>>> http://imgur.com/a/EJSOb
>>>

>>> Soon Google will replace Android and poof! the Linux "operating system"
>>> is back to where it only ever belonged: as a dumb OS hosting databases
>>> and files.
>>
>> Replace it with what?
>
> Google plans on replacing it with their own, in-house kernel.

What that could be?

Google
> obviously wants to create a proprietary product and no longer wants to
> share code with other manufacturers.

Hm, could you provide link?

owl

Jun 14, 2017, 3:42:10 PM6/14/17
Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:

>> Google plans on replacing it with their own, in-house kernel.
>
> What that could be?
>
> Google
>> obviously wants to create a proprietary product and no longer wants to
>> share code with other manufacturers.
>
> Hm, could you provide link?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/googles-fuchsia-smartphone-os-dumps-linux-has-a-wild-new-ui/

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 3:42:44 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14 3:26 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:

>>> Replace it with what?
>>
>> Google plans on replacing it with their own, in-house kernel.
>
> What that could be?

Who knows? But they obviously want something different to allow their
Pixel line of phones to stand out from the competition.

> Google
>> obviously wants to create a proprietary product and no longer wants to
>> share code with other manufacturers.
>
> Hm, could you provide link?

Here's an older article:
<http://www.businessinsider.com/google-building-new-operating-system-fuchsia-not-based-on-android-linux-kernel-2016-8?op=1>

owl

Jun 14, 2017, 3:47:59 PM6/14/17
Looks like they are going to share the code though.
https://github.com/fuchsia-mirror/sysui

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 3:50:05 PM6/14/17
[bmaxa@maxa-pc linux-3.18]$ find . -type f | wc -l
97217
[bmaxa@maxa-pc magenta]$ find . -type f | wc -l
4941
What that does it tell you?

Marek Novotny

Jun 14, 2017, 3:52:50 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14 12:51 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:
>> On 2017-06-14, DFS <nos...@dfs.com> wrote:
>>> https://analytics.wikimedia.org/dashboards/browsers/#all-sites-by-os/os-family-timeseries
>>>

>>> http://imgur.com/a/EJSOb
>>>

>>> Soon Google will replace Android and poof! the Linux "operating system"
>>> is back to where it only ever belonged: as a dumb OS hosting databases
>>> and files.
>>
>> Replace it with what?
>
> Google plans on replacing it with their own, in-house kernel. Google
> obviously wants to create a proprietary product and no longer wants to
> share code with other manufacturers.

Fuchsia is open source and I believe will use the BSD license.

> I imagine that Android will continue to exist through these
> companies but that Google will end up with its own, Android-like
> product which may or may not preserve Android compatibility.

You're making this up out of thin air just as you made up from thin air
the above incorrect statement.

Steve Carroll

Jun 14, 2017, 3:52:57 PM6/14/17
Mobile devices are what have caused PC sales to decline for 5 straight
years. People that once bought desktop/laptop computers no longer do
because their needs are met by these devices so they don't replace the PC
as often, if at all. The main reasons a computer appealed to what we've
all termed the "average" user was for browsing, email, word processing,
spreadsheets, calendar (scheduling), listening to music and gaming.
The hard core gamers are really what keep the desktop market alive for
the "average" user. The rest of the stuff (and much more) can be done
'on the go' now.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 3:53:46 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14 3:26 PM, Melzzzzz wrote:

>>> Google plans on replacing it with their own, in-house kernel.
>>
>> What that could be?
>
> Who knows? But they obviously want something different to allow their
> Pixel line of phones to stand out from the competition.
>
>> Google
>>> obviously wants to create a proprietary product and no longer wants to
>>> share code with other manufacturers.
>>
>> Hm, could you provide link?
>
> Here's an older article:
><http://www.businessinsider.com/google-building-new-operating-system-fuchsia-not-based-on-android-linux-kernel-2016-8?op=1>

I have it on my hdd. It's just toy project. Haven't improved much since
I saw it last year...

owl

Jun 14, 2017, 4:00:24 PM6/14/17
Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, owl <o...@rooftop.invalid> wrote:
>> Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:

>>> What that could be?
>>>
>>> Google
>>>
>>> Hm, could you provide link?
>>>

>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/googles-fuchsia-smartphone-os-dumps-linux-has-a-wild-new-ui/
>>
> [bmaxa@maxa-pc linux-3.18]$ find . -type f | wc -l
> 97217
> [bmaxa@maxa-pc magenta]$ find . -type f | wc -l
> 4941
> What that does it tell you?

That it's going to be a lot smaller than Linux too!

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 4:04:39 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, owl <o...@rooftop.invalid> wrote:
I am following since last year.

owl

Jun 14, 2017, 4:14:59 PM6/14/17
Melzzzzz <Melz...@zzzzz.com> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:

>>> What that could be?
>>
>> Who knows? But they obviously want something different to allow their
>> Pixel line of phones to stand out from the competition.
>>
>>> Google
>>>
>>> Hm, could you provide link?
>>
>> Here's an older article:
>><http://www.businessinsider.com/google-building-new-operating-system-fuchsia-not-based-on-android-linux-kernel-2016-8?op=1>
>
> I have it on my hdd. It's just toy project. Haven't improved much since
> I saw it last year...

But google has massive dollars. If they want fuschia, they'll have it,
and manufacturers will follow path of least resistance.

Melzzzzz

Jun 14, 2017, 4:30:46 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, owl <o...@rooftop.invalid> wrote:
I don't think that they invest much in it....

-hh

Jun 14, 2017, 4:32:24 PM6/14/17
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 3:52:57 PM UTC-4, Steve Carroll wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 1:26:40 PM UTC-6, Silver Slimer wrote:
> > On 2017-06-14 2:18 PM, Steve Carroll wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > What's most amazing, to me, is that, Apple, one of the top 10 companies
> > > in the world (by revenue) has about 7-8% and the free Linux has ~2%.
> >
> > Considering how excellent Apple's marketing has been over the past 15-16
> > years, it's surprising that it never managed to break 15% in the United
> > States and 7-8% worldwide. I'd expect it to be much higher, especially
> > considering the popularity of the iPhone.
>
> Mobile devices are what have caused PC sales to decline for 5 straight
> years. People that once bought desktop/laptop computers no longer do
> because their needs are met by these devices so they don't replace the PC
> as often, if at all. The main reasons a computer appealed to what we've
> all termed the "average" user was for browsing, email, word processing,
> spreadsheets, calendar (scheduling), listening to music and gaming.
> The hard core gamers are really what keep the desktop market alive for
> the "average" user. The rest of the stuff (and much more) can be done
> 'on the go' now.

That's a big part of it, but Apple also took their eye off of their
Macintosh "ball" and has languished on hardware maintenance/upgrades.

And for advertising, Apple spends substantially less than their
competitors ... and what they do spend is overwhelmingly biased
to the iPhone. Their actual Mac advertising budget for on-air
commercials has been close to zero.

Case in point, this abomination was IIRC their only new ad aired on
TV in 2016:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROEIKn8OsGU>

And here's a page that claims to have every ad before this one:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMmGh3v2cU0>

...note how the last Mac ad was with Hodgman and Long (the Mac/PC
actors), a campaign which ended waaay back in 2009:

<http://www.adweek.com/creativity/apples-get-mac-complete-campaign-130552/>

To try to be bend-backwards to try to give Apple credit,
there are a few more Mac ads on their Youtube Mac channel:

<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFlHpPjgk72-DBBxHI1H2ZR2X4y0-bQc>

... but that's not evidence of an ad purchase on a broadcast TV network.

-hh

Snit

Jun 14, 2017, 4:47:02 PM6/14/17
On 6/14/17, 10:58 AM, in article ohrtfq$onm$4...@dont-email.me, "RonB"
<ronb02...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2017-06-14, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> Me Sham wrote:
>>
>>> Linux has its place, it just isn't on the desktop.
>>
>> That's what propagandists, and their corporate masters in Redmond,
>> want people to think, anyway.
>>
>> Just keep lying-on the "if it was any good, more people would be using
>> it" FUD.
>
> Linux has worked fine on the Desktop for close to ten years for me. Weird
> how that works, huh?

As you have said, though, your needs are light. And your standards are, too.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

Me Sham

Jun 14, 2017, 4:52:45 PM6/14/17
I dont remember seeing a Mac commercial since that retarded "I'm a Mac" campaign ended around 2007/8.

Steve Carroll

Jun 14, 2017, 5:01:02 PM6/14/17
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 2:32:24 PM UTC-6, -hh wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 3:52:57 PM UTC-4, Steve Carroll wrote:
> > >
> > > Considering how excellent Apple's marketing has been over the past 15-16
> > > years, it's surprising that it never managed to break 15% in the United
> > > States and 7-8% worldwide. I'd expect it to be much higher, especially
> > > considering the popularity of the iPhone.
> >
> > Mobile devices are what have caused PC sales to decline for 5 straight
> > years. People that once bought desktop/laptop computers no longer do
> > because their needs are met by these devices so they don't replace the PC
> > as often, if at all. The main reasons a computer appealed to what we've
> > all termed the "average" user was for browsing, email, word processing,
> > spreadsheets, calendar (scheduling), listening to music and gaming.
> > The hard core gamers are really what keep the desktop market alive for
> > the "average" user. The rest of the stuff (and much more) can be done
> > 'on the go' now.
>
> That's a big part of it, but Apple also took their eye off of their
> Macintosh "ball" and has languished on hardware maintenance/upgrades.

That's true, as well.

> And for advertising, Apple spends substantially less than their
> competitors ... and what they do spend is overwhelmingly biased
> to the iPhone. Their actual Mac advertising budget for on-air
> commercials has been close to zero.
>
> Case in point, this abomination was IIRC their only new ad aired on
> TV in 2016:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROEIKn8OsGU>
>
> And here's a page that claims to have every ad before this one:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMmGh3v2cU0>
>
> ...note how the last Mac ad was with Hodgman and Long (the Mac/PC
> actors), a campaign which ended waaay back in 2009:
>
> <http://www.adweek.com/creativity/apples-get-mac-complete-campaign-130552/>
>
> To try to be bend-backwards to try to give Apple credit,
> there are a few more Mac ads on their Youtube Mac channel:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFlHpPjgk72-DBBxHI1H2ZR2X4y0-bQc>
>
> ... but that's not evidence of an ad purchase on a broadcast TV network.

For the first time ever, I didn't even feel compelled to buy an Apple to
replace my aging MBP, I bought an ASUS and loaded Linux on it. Came
with Windows but I don't use it much, just to check things in MS browsers.

Marek Novotny

Jun 14, 2017, 5:41:52 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-14, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the first time ever, I didn't even feel compelled to buy an Apple to
> replace my aging MBP, I bought an ASUS and loaded Linux on it. Came
> with Windows but I don't use it much, just to check things in MS browsers.

I bought the new MacBook Pro 13", which should arrive friday. Ahead of
that I bought an extra power supply. Or I thought I did. See they sell
the Apple 61W USB-C power adapter USA kit for $69. But this "KIT" if I
can even call it a kit only contains the Power block itself. I had to
buy a Power Adapter Extension Cable for $19 if I wish to plug this "kit"
into a socket from a standard plug with a length of wire before we get
to the power adapter. Otherwise, you have this big heavy bulk sitting
right on your power strip or whatever and you'd be left with the typical
short length of the cable from the power brick to the computer as all
the distance you'd have from wall or strip to the laptop itself. Which
brings me to that cable. It too is not included. So I had to buy a
couple 2 meter long USB-C cables to go from the power brick to the mac.
Those are $19 each.

So let's see the totals:

$69 for the power brick
$19 for the extension cable
$19 for the USB-C cable

$107 for a complete second 61 watt power supply.

I wanted Ethernet so I bought what I thought was the newest generation
Thunderbolt for this Mac. Turns out it is the old Thunderbolt
connection. It's not a USB-C type connection. $29 down the drain.

I need a USB-C to USB-A type adapter so I plug in older USB devices that
I will surely need to plug in... $19. I need a USB-C to Lightning for
the phone, cause the phone doesn't give you one nor does the Mac. So $25
for that. And I bought an extra extension for the Mac that will come
just in case it doesn't come with one either. So essentially, $196.65
for cables and a spare power adapter so I can leave on in a bag while
the other remains at the office.

So then I popped over to Amazon to buy the Ethernet adapter I needed. I
settled on a Anker USB-C to Ethernet which also has three USB 3
connections to it all in one. I think it was $29.

The Mac itself, which is a mere dual core 3.1 GHz i5 with 16GBs of RAM
and a 512 GB SSD was $2,199 plus the AppleCare add on and tax and ship
came in around $2,700 give or take... So around $3,000 with cables and
tax all in, for a dual core i5!!

And then there is the iPad Pro with pen and keyboard with 256 GBs of SSD
which all in was around $1,250 give or take and I think I didn't even
get the extra warranty.

Be prepared to pay a premium for this stuff. $3,000 would easily buy me
a nice Lenovo P70 17" Xeon workstation with m3000 Quadro graphics. It
would weigh more than 3 lbs though.

William Poaster

Jun 14, 2017, 6:05:05 PM6/14/17
On 14/6/2017 20:16 in comp.os.linux.advocacy, Marek Novotny posted:
+2

--
The troll is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts
and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more:

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 8:17:03 PM6/14/17
Last I had heard, it wasn't going to be open-source. After all, that
article is from 2016 and things happened in the first few months of 2017.

Marek Novotny

Jun 14, 2017, 8:20:44 PM6/14/17
Heard from where, exactly?

It's open source. Just not under the GPL.

--
Marek Novotný
https://github.com/marek-novotny

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 8:21:42 PM6/14/17
Agreed. I think that the majority of people on my Facebook feed don't
have a computer at all LOL.

Marek Novotny

Jun 14, 2017, 8:31:22 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-15, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:
These ARM processors are getting pretty darn fast these days. Their
benchmarks are starting to look like desktop processors. The have ood
graphics, fast processors. You know the iPad now ships with an option of
up to 512 GBs of storage! They are starting to blur the line between
mobile and desktop. Really what is missing is file system access and
developer tools on tablets. If we got those two things, I'd start to
argue the tablet became a PC and isn't a tablet anymore.

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 9:22:17 PM6/14/17
OK, it turns out that I was wrong and it is indeed pure open-source. I
have no idea what I was thinking about.

Silver Slimer

Jun 14, 2017, 9:23:46 PM6/14/17
I have a tablet which hasn't been used in months and it allows me
desktop access. To say the least, the technology is too limited and
limiting and I can't imagine how anyone could use that exclusively. I
guess that if you grew up with technology of the 80s and 90s, you're not
as willing to sacrifice true power for convenience as today's customers
are.

Marek Novotny

Jun 14, 2017, 9:34:35 PM6/14/17
On 2017-06-15, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:
> On 2017-06-14 8:31 PM, Marek Novotny wrote:

// snip

>> These ARM processors are getting pretty darn fast these days. Their
>> benchmarks are starting to look like desktop processors. The have ood
>> graphics, fast processors. You know the iPad now ships with an option of
>> up to 512 GBs of storage! They are starting to blur the line between
>> mobile and desktop. Really what is missing is file system access and
>> developer tools on tablets. If we got those two things, I'd start to
>> argue the tablet became a PC and isn't a tablet anymore.
>
> I have a tablet which hasn't been used in months and it allows me
> desktop access. To say the least, the technology is too limited and
> limiting and I can't imagine how anyone could use that exclusively. I
> guess that if you grew up with technology of the 80s and 90s, you're not
> as willing to sacrifice true power for convenience as today's customers
> are.

Judging by what I see at work I can totally see why a lot of people
gravitate to the mobile stuff. It is shocking how they are able to use
their PCs at all. They have memorized a series of steps to complete a
task and nothing more than that. They have no idea what they are doing.
You so much as change an icon and they become lost. They save a file and
they have idea where it went. They have no idea how to find it. I have
difficultly understanding how they can function at all like this. They
are helpless creatures.

Their mobile phone they seem to understand. I agree with you. To us it's
a closed door. But to them it's a door wide open.

Snit

Jun 14, 2017, 9:42:20 PM6/14/17
On 6/14/17, 6:34 PM, in article
B_udnZjpabO5edzE...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
Gee, when I noted that for many people understanding the abstraction of a
file hierarchy is a challenge the herd went on and on and on about it...
even saying *I* had that challenge (flat out lying). Let us see if they are
consistent and attack one of their own.

Spoiler: they will not.

But it is one reason why Apple's media browser is a great tool for many...
allows them to find their files AND is a stepping stone to understanding the
things you whine they do not.

> Their mobile phone they seem to understand. I agree with you. To us it's
> a closed door. But to them it's a door wide open.

RonB

Jun 14, 2017, 11:43:50 PM6/14/17
I don't get it either, but for some people computers (desktop or laptop) are
basically relics. If they've got computers they're probably covered with
dust and turned on once or twice a month. I wouldn't know how to function
without a real keyboard.

--
Zero Tolerance for iCultists and WinTrolls

Silver Slimer

Jun 15, 2017, 7:29:17 AM6/15/17
I have a lot of trouble typing on a smartphone screen and doing it on a
Blackberry keyboard is only slightly better. I can't understand why
anyone would be willing to sacrifice that for some kind of level of
convenience.

chrisv

Jun 15, 2017, 8:05:55 AM6/15/17
Marek Novotny wrote:

>Judging by what I see at work I can totally see why a lot of people
>gravitate to the mobile stuff. It is shocking how they are able to use
>their PCs at all. They have memorized a series of steps to complete a
>task and nothing more than that. They have no idea what they are doing.
>You so much as change an icon and they become lost. They save a file and
>they have idea where it went. They have no idea how to find it. I have
>difficultly understanding how they can function at all like this. They
>are helpless creatures.

That's kind of hard to believe. Today's young adults grew-up using
PC's.

--
"It's actually a travesty that the GPL requires you to give the source
to your mods away for free ..." - DumFSck

RonB

Jun 15, 2017, 9:01:58 AM6/15/17
On 2017-06-15, Silver Slimer <s...@im.er> wrote:

> I have a lot of trouble typing on a smartphone screen and doing it on a
> Blackberry keyboard is only slightly better. I can't understand why
> anyone would be willing to sacrifice that for some kind of level of
> convenience.

If I'm in a quiet place -- alone -- Blackberry's voice type dictation works
pretty well. The keyboard is fine (and fast) for texting -- but I sure
wouldn't want to write documents on it -- though some people do.

RonB

Jun 15, 2017, 9:05:09 AM6/15/17
On 2017-06-15, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Marek Novotny wrote:
>
>>Judging by what I see at work I can totally see why a lot of people
>>gravitate to the mobile stuff. It is shocking how they are able to use
>>their PCs at all. They have memorized a series of steps to complete a
>>task and nothing more than that. They have no idea what they are doing.
>>You so much as change an icon and they become lost. They save a file and
>>they have idea where it went. They have no idea how to find it. I have
>>difficultly understanding how they can function at all like this. They
>>are helpless creatures.
>
> That's kind of hard to believe. Today's young adults grew-up using
> PC's.

I've got nephews and their wives in their early 30s who almost never use a
computer -- they use iPads, Samsung tablets and their iPhones instead.
(Until recently they had Android phones.) The computer the one nephew has is
probably about fifteen years old -- and it only occasionally gets turned on.

Marek Novotny

Jun 15, 2017, 11:43:30 AM6/15/17
On 2017-06-15, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Marek Novotny wrote:
>
>>Judging by what I see at work I can totally see why a lot of people
>>gravitate to the mobile stuff. It is shocking how they are able to use
>>their PCs at all. They have memorized a series of steps to complete a
>>task and nothing more than that. They have no idea what they are doing.
>>You so much as change an icon and they become lost. They save a file and
>>they have idea where it went. They have no idea how to find it. I have
>>difficultly understanding how they can function at all like this. They
>>are helpless creatures.
>
> That's kind of hard to believe. Today's young adults grew-up using
> PC's.

I have the very same thought. Yet I see this time and time again user
after user.

Marek Novotny

Jun 15, 2017, 11:44:45 AM6/15/17
Yes. That's what I see. They just use their iPhone or Galaxy and nothing
else. It's weird.

Snit

Jun 15, 2017, 12:48:42 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/17, 8:44 AM, in article
efydnY2VH-76Nt_E...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
About 80% of millennials still use desktop or laptop computers.

But, hey, what you "see" is that few do. LOL!

Snit

Jun 15, 2017, 12:53:08 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/17, 4:29 AM, in article fcu0B.27313$c46....@fx03.iad, "Silver
Half the "phones" out there these days are huge... basically tablets. That
gives them a bigger keyboard.

Snit

Jun 15, 2017, 12:54:08 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/17, 6:01 AM, in article ohu0f8$ukq$3...@dont-email.me, "RonB"
About 20% of millennials rarely use a desktop / laptop... but most do.

Steve Carroll

Jun 15, 2017, 12:55:47 PM6/15/17
I've danced this dance... I think all Mac users have.

> The Mac itself, which is a mere dual core 3.1 GHz i5 with 16GBs of RAM
> and a 512 GB SSD was $2,199 plus the AppleCare add on and tax and ship
> came in around $2,700 give or take... So around $3,000 with cables and
> tax all in, for a dual core i5!!
>
> And then there is the iPad Pro with pen and keyboard with 256 GBs of SSD
> which all in was around $1,250 give or take and I think I didn't even
> get the extra warranty.
>
> Be prepared to pay a premium for this stuff.

I've paid it, for decades now... that's one reason I finally looked elsewhere.

> $3,000 would easily buy me
> a nice Lenovo P70 17" Xeon workstation with m3000 Quadro graphics.

Exactly, and unless you need to run OS X apps natively, you should.

Snit

Jun 15, 2017, 12:57:10 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/17, 5:05 AM, in article 8qt4kcp4n60mhrsg1...@4ax.com,
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Marek Novotny wrote:
>
>> Judging by what I see at work I can totally see why a lot of people
>> gravitate to the mobile stuff. It is shocking how they are able to use
>> their PCs at all. They have memorized a series of steps to complete a
>> task and nothing more than that. They have no idea what they are doing.
>> You so much as change an icon and they become lost. They save a file and
>> they have idea where it went. They have no idea how to find it. I have
>> difficultly understanding how they can function at all like this. They
>> are helpless creatures.
>
> That's kind of hard to believe. Today's young adults grew-up using
> PC's.

About 20% of millennials rarely use a PC these days.

Steve Carroll

Jun 15, 2017, 1:05:39 PM6/15/17
On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 6:05:55 AM UTC-6, chrisv wrote:
> Marek Novotny wrote:
>
> >Judging by what I see at work I can totally see why a lot of people
> >gravitate to the mobile stuff. It is shocking how they are able to use
> >their PCs at all. They have memorized a series of steps to complete a
> >task and nothing more than that. They have no idea what they are doing.
> >You so much as change an icon and they become lost. They save a file and
> >they have idea where it went. They have no idea how to find it. I have
> >difficultly understanding how they can function at all like this. They
> >are helpless creatures.
>
> That's kind of hard to believe. Today's young adults grew-up using
> PC's.

When you look at how far from its peak PC sales have fallen (and
remained that way for a solid 5 years of decline) you realize that
the word "using" takes on a new meaning. This is why the mobile
devices have made the inroads that they have... the user doesn't
have to think about the OS much at all.

Marek Novotny

Jun 15, 2017, 1:19:10 PM6/15/17
A developer friend of mine has one and brought it over to get my help
installing Vim 8 and bash 4.x on it for him. Yup, developers do use it.
I might do the same to mine if it ever gets here. Was going to be
Tuesday, then it got delayed to Friday. This morning it was today, but
then changed to tomorrow. Now it is in Oakland, which is super close by
and yet it says delivery date unknown. LOL. If it arrives today or
tomorrow and I get it setup over the weekend maybe I can do a quick
review on YouTube.

Oh yeah, doesn't look good for today. I see UPS just showed up and since
they are here and the tracking says it is in Oakland, It isn't coming
today. HA HA

It went from China to Japan, to Alaska, then to Kentucky and now it is
Oakland. It's a worldly laptop.

Steve Carroll

Jun 15, 2017, 1:25:10 PM6/15/17

Marek Novotny

Jun 15, 2017, 1:42:45 PM6/15/17
They don't seem to give much a discount for a refurb where as Dell sold
me this Latitude 7370, which for the spec I got was roughly a $1,950
laptop, and sold it to me for $650. The best deal I ever got. What's
really cool is that I'd be dying for one of these but just felt like the
price way too high for the hardware. I was lusting after one of these
for months. With a deal like that I'm more than willing to take the
risk. But if someone is going to knock off $150 to $300, forget it. I'll
just get a new one or most likely talk myself out it.

Silver Slimer

Jun 15, 2017, 3:20:24 PM6/15/17
Yeah, I was pretty happy with the Siri-like software on the Blackberry
when I still had my Z10. OK Google is better, but it did its job fairly
well.

For me, writing a text is a constant necessity and if I send e-mails,
especially to administration, it's necessary for the spelling and
grammar (in French) to be immaculate and for me to make a detailed case
for any request. No matter how great these mobile operating systems get
with voice recognition, they're still pretty bad at properly producing a
text from voice in my second language. I absolute _require_ total
control over what's being written and I only get that from typing with a
keyboard. If millennials are able to do it without one, all the power to
them but I constantly find that what my unilingual French co-workers
write back to me is embarrassingly incoherent.

Chris Ahlstrom

Jun 15, 2017, 6:20:33 PM6/15/17
Melzzzzz wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2017-06-14, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> To me it would be more interresting number of users that dual boot ;p
>>
>> What's most amazing, to me, is that, Apple, one of the top 10 companies in
>> the world (by revenue) has about 7-8% and the free Linux has ~2%.

What's so amazing about that? The vast majority of consumers of computers
want a prebuilt appliance, not something they have to download and install
and even perhaps risk a warranty.

> Apple would be higher if they provide proper desktop machine. Mac Mini
> hasn't been updated since 2014 ....

--
You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
be sold.

Snit

Jun 15, 2017, 6:40:58 PM6/15/17
On 6/15/17, 3:11 PM, in article ohv10l$fhb$1...@dont-email.me, "Chris

>>> What's most amazing, to me, is that, Apple, one of the top 10 companies in
>>> the world (by revenue) has about 7-8% and the free Linux has ~2%.
>
> What's so amazing about that? The vast majority of consumers of computers
> want a prebuilt appliance, not something they have to download and install
> and even perhaps risk a warranty.

You can get machines with Linux pre-installed. And if Linux competed better
you would be able to find even more.

chrisv

Jun 16, 2017, 8:02:31 AM6/16/17
Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> Steve Carroll wrote:
>>>
>>> What's most amazing, to me, is that, Apple, one of the top 10 companies in
>>> the world (by revenue) has about 7-8% and the free Linux has ~2%.

What's amazing to me is what a fscking idiot you are, "Steve".

>What's so amazing about that? The vast majority of consumers of computers
>want a prebuilt appliance, not something they have to download and install
>and even perhaps risk a warranty.

How anyone could be so dull-witted as to not figure it out themselves,
is amazing. We doesn't "Steve" use Lonux? Why don't his friends? Is
it because they really learned it and gave it a try, but found it
inferior? No.

--
'Linux doesnt need you saying it "works for me". No one cares.' -
"True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

gunner gren

Jun 16, 2017, 8:24:13 AM6/16/17

"chrisv" wrote in message

> We doesn't "Steve" use Lonux? Why don't his friends?

Why doesn't "shitv" use linux? Why don't his friends?

Why don't you answer that question Mr. X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.91/32.564
(Windows only)

Has a poser like you *ever* used Linux? I seriously doubt it.

Does your mother know she raised a piece of shit hypocrite?

chrisv

Jun 16, 2017, 9:09:38 AM6/16/17
gunner gren wrote:

> (snip)

Sure, "gunner", I'm a "piece of shit hypocrite" because I won't quit
my job for the Linux cause and refuse to work with Micro$oft products.
(rolling eyes)

Is it true that you graduated magna cum fsckhead from Kreep
University?

--
"But for most people looking at this from the outside - it does appear
to be an inconsistency. It's not much different from those

-hh

Jun 16, 2017, 9:21:54 AM6/16/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 9:09:38 AM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:
> gunner gren wrote:
>
> > (snip)
>
> Sure, "gunner", I'm a "piece of shit hypocrite" because I won't quit
> my job for the Linux cause and refuse to work with Micro$oft products.
> (rolling eyes)

Well, that certainly explains it: chrisv's constant state of anger
is because deep down, they know that they're a coward who will never
be brave enough to stand up and abandon the paycheck that comes from
that which they constantly loathe. /S

-hh

Steve Carroll

Jun 16, 2017, 12:11:57 PM6/16/17
On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 6:02:31 AM UTC-6, chrisv wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> What's amazing to me is what a fscking idiot you are, "Steve".

So I'm a "fscking idiot" because I've opined amazement that Linux holds ~2%,
which is phenomenal considering there is no real marketing arm, while Apple
holds a relatively (as relative to their resources) small share ? What does that
make you now, with your opinion of what I wrote, "chrisv"?

> >What's so amazing about that?

There aren't too many contexts where no real marketing gets you anywhere,
obviously. Slimer and Melzzzz had no problem understanding it, what went
wrong for you and ol' plonky?

> > The vast majority of consumers of computers
> >want a prebuilt appliance, not something they have to download and install
> >and even perhaps risk a warranty.
>
> How anyone could be so dull-witted as to not figure it out themselves,

Said the guy who didn't really understand an opinion he'd read, a guy who,
instead of asking first, shot from the hip like a "fscking idiot". It happens...
but you seem to be pretty good at it.

A little earlier in this thread I wrote of an ASUS I bought awhile back:

"For the first time ever, I didn't even feel compelled to buy an Apple to
replace my aging MBP, I bought an ASUS and loaded Linux on it. Came
with Windows but I don't use it much, just to check things in MS browsers."

> Why don't his friends?

Do you still beat your wife?

> Is it because they really learned it and gave it a try, but found it
> inferior? No.

Nah... it'd probably be because there isn't much in the way of marketing
for them to even know it exists.

Steve Carroll

Jun 16, 2017, 12:16:47 PM6/16/17
And you don;t see me buying one yet, either ;)

But I may still do it down the road...

> where as Dell sold
> me this Latitude 7370, which for the spec I got was roughly a $1,950
> laptop, and sold it to me for $650. The best deal I ever got. What's
> really cool is that I'd be dying for one of these but just felt like the
> price way too high for the hardware. I was lusting after one of these
> for months. With a deal like that I'm more than willing to take the
> risk. But if someone is going to knock off $150 to $300, forget it. I'll
> just get a new one or most likely talk myself out it.

Why did you buy a new Mac, what will you use if for?

Snit

Jun 16, 2017, 12:37:10 PM6/16/17
On 6/16/17, 5:02 AM, in article moh7kcp6k5ufrjrcc...@4ax.com,
"chrisv" <chr...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> What's amazing to me is what a fscking idiot you are, "Steve".
>
>> What's so amazing about that? The vast majority of consumers of computers
>> want a prebuilt appliance, not something they have to download and install
>> and even perhaps risk a warranty.
>
> How anyone could be so dull-witted as to not figure it out themselves,
> is amazing. We doesn't "Steve" use Lonux? Why don't his friends? Is
> it because they really learned it and gave it a try, but found it
> inferior? No.

Yes. I and many of my friends HAVE used Linux. I still do, though less than
in the past. The vast majority of people who try Linux leave it to go to
Windows or, sometimes, macOS.

There are, of course, exceptions... but being free is not enough: desktop
Linux has to grow to compete on quality and not just price.

Marek Novotny

Jun 16, 2017, 1:05:21 PM6/16/17
On 2017-06-16, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 11:42:45 AM UTC-6, Marek Novotny wrote:

// snip

>>> At this point, if I did one, it'd probably be something like this refurb:
>>>
>>><https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FJLQ2LL/A/refurbished-154-inch-macbook-pro-22ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display>
>>
>> They don't seem to give much a discount for a refurb
>
> And you don;t see me buying one yet, either ;)
>
> But I may still do it down the road...
>
>> where as Dell sold
>> me this Latitude 7370, which for the spec I got was roughly a $1,950
>> laptop, and sold it to me for $650. The best deal I ever got. What's
>> really cool is that I'd be dying for one of these but just felt like the
>> price way too high for the hardware. I was lusting after one of these
>> for months. With a deal like that I'm more than willing to take the
>> risk. But if someone is going to knock off $150 to $300, forget it. I'll
>> just get a new one or most likely talk myself out it.
>
> Why did you buy a new Mac, what will you use if for?

I need a Mac for deal with quark mechanicals that still use mac fonts
that make use of the resource fork in HFS+. Still need a few tools in
that regard. My MscBook Pro from 2011 finally kicked the bucket.

Steve Carroll

Jun 16, 2017, 1:08:56 PM6/16/17
My 2006 MBP still works! But older browsers aren't supported
so I can't use it, at least, not for dev stuff.

Marek Novotny

Jun 16, 2017, 1:21:26 PM6/16/17
There is a Firefox fork for those old macs. You should be able to get a
more modern browser even on a PowerPC mac. Of course Linux supports the
PowerPC mac even though Apple has abandoned it.

Steve Carroll

Jun 16, 2017, 1:30:54 PM6/16/17
I can get browsers that run, I'm talking about browsers that run
with current javascript engines to develop on.

pTrap McSludge

Jun 16, 2017, 1:32:34 PM6/16/17
How so?

pTrap McSludge

Jun 16, 2017, 1:37:29 PM6/16/17
Why would a sanitation man need a Mac?
Or any computer for that matter?

Marek Novotny

Jun 16, 2017, 1:38:35 PM6/16/17
For you, I think you need to stay ahead of the curve, so yeah. A web dev
with old crap isn't much good... Come to think of it, that actually
reminds me of someone...

pTrap McSludge

Jun 16, 2017, 1:38:41 PM6/16/17
Linux has always been good at supporting obsolete hardware.
It's modern hardware that Linux has problems with.

Snit

Jun 16, 2017, 1:53:43 PM6/16/17
On 6/16/17, 10:05 AM, in article
JoCdnXjWEoNXktnE...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<marek....@marspolar.com> wrote:

>>> where as Dell sold
>>> me this Latitude 7370, which for the spec I got was roughly a $1,950
>>> laptop, and sold it to me for $650. The best deal I ever got. What's
>>> really cool is that I'd be dying for one of these but just felt like the
>>> price way too high for the hardware. I was lusting after one of these
>>> for months. With a deal like that I'm more than willing to take the
>>> risk. But if someone is going to knock off $150 to $300, forget it. I'll
>>> just get a new one or most likely talk myself out it.
>>
>> Why did you buy a new Mac, what will you use if for?
>
> I need a Mac for deal with quark mechanicals that still use mac fonts
> that make use of the resource fork in HFS+. Still need a few tools in
> that regard. My MscBook Pro from 2011 finally kicked the bucket.

The 2010 MacBook Air you sent to me is working like a champ. Even with all
the nonsense you toss my way I want you to know I am VERY grateful for it.
It was an amazingly kind gift from you.

gunner gren

Jun 26, 2017, 10:16:53 PM6/26/17

"chrisv" wrote in message

gunner gren wrote:

>> (snip)

> Sure, "gunner", I'm a "piece of shit hypocrite" because I won't quit
> my job for the Linux cause and refuse to work with Micro$oft products.
> (rolling eyes)

Learn to read dunce. My post never once mentioned your menial job or
suggested you quit your job. The word "job" was never mentioned. FACT.

The question was very simple. You worry about "Steve" and his friends not
using Linux. You constantly claim how great Linux is and how easy it is to
install.

So why don't YOU use Linux? Why haven't you ever used Linux? (Notice that
once again there's zero mention of quitting your job.)

It's a simple question isn't it Mr. X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.91/32.564
(Windows only)

No job quitting required. Last I checked someone can use Linux without
quitting their job. So why don't you?

> Is it true that you graduated magna cum fsckhead from
> Kreep University?

From your reading comprehension failure and constant state of anger it's
doubtful you graduated from High School let alone a University.

chrisv

Jun 27, 2017, 7:53:29 AM6/27/17

"gunner" response was deleted, unread.

--
'The point is this : MS have not overcharged or abused their
"monopoly" (if you insist we use this word).' - "True Linux

-hh

Jun 27, 2017, 9:12:22 AM6/27/17
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 7:53:29 AM UTC-4, chrisv wrote:

Oh, look, headers:

From: chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux desktop usage dropping fast: now around 1%

> "gunner" response was deleted, unread.

Suuuuuure it was. Because otherwise, it couldn't have been addressed honestly.

Restoring a few lines from 'gunner':

>> Learn to read dunce. My post never once mentioned
>> your menial job or suggested you quit your job. The
>> word "job" was never mentioned. FACT.

FYI, I've made some statements more or less to that effect,
challenging how chrisv has voluntarily made claims that they're
"FORCED" to use Microsoft products. Perhaps what's happened
is that the snowflake has gotten her neural wires crossed
between all of those who pwn her ... bless her heart!

>> So why don't YOU use Linux? Why haven't you ever used
>> Linux? (Notice that once again there's zero mention of
>> quitting your job.)...Last I checked someone can use Linux
>> without quitting their job. So why don't you?

Great question ... can't recall ever seeing it actually
get honestly answered.

And while chrisv tends to only post during weekday working
hours, there's not really much stopping them from owning a
home PC to have Linux on.

>>> Is it true that you graduated magna cum fsckhead from
>>> Kreep University?
>>

>> From your reading comprehension failure and constant state
>> of anger it's doubtful you graduated from High School let
>> alone a University.

True, that pic which claimed to be of their college diploma
could have been their Father's dipolma, or a Sibling, etc.
Or even something bought for a buck at an Estate or garage sale.
Ditto for the alleged textbooks (charity rummage sales, etc)

Similarly, there are some other reasonable possibilities too
for why chrisv doesn't appear to have a connected Linux box at
home, such as:

* chrisv may not be able to afford to pay for a home PC & ISP;

* they may be under some formal prohibition due to something
(court condition from parole/sex offender/stalking/drugs/etc);

* there may be some less formal prohibition, such as chrisv
having some condition where they're under the care of family
and is thus, 'not allowed' on a PC/Web at home;

* Combinations of the above, etc. BTW, from a reading
comprehension standpoint, note that these are clearly listed
as merely possibilities, not claims.

In any event, the net effective result, regardless of why,
from the perspective of public COLA posts is that chrisv is
for whatever reason functionally constrained from posting
except for when they're apparently on a Windows PC during
nominal weekday working hours...even though this does make
their position quite lame from a Linux advocacy standpoint.

-hh

Fabrice Lohan

Jun 27, 2017, 9:15:46 AM6/27/17
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 06:53:28 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> "gunner" response was deleted, unread.

Are you still playing that "deleted, unread" routine?
You need to move on because you aren't convincing anyone.
Disagree and offer a rebuttal instead of running away.

gunner gren

Jun 27, 2017, 11:04:23 PM6/27/17

"chrisv" wrote in message

> "gunner" response was deleted, unread.

Of course you didn't read it chrisv.

And everyone here is stupid enough to believe that.

Your mother must be proud of the spineless liar she raised.

Fabrice Lohan

Jun 27, 2017, 11:32:51 PM6/27/17
chrisv reads everything.
You might want to look at the thread where he claims he deleted/unread my
post but then makes specific comments on it and nobody else quoted/replied
to it during that time so he didn't see it 3rd party.

chrisv is simply a liar and none of the Linux "advocates" will call him out
on it.

chrisv

Jun 28, 2017, 8:04:26 AM6/28/17
chrisv wrote:

>"gunner" response was deleted, unread.

"gunner" and "Fabrice" responses were deleted, unread.

Not in the mood to read the gibberish of fsckwits, this morning.

--
"It has been shown time and time again that consumers dont want/need
Linux." - "True Linux advocate" Hadron Quark

Silver Slimer

Jun 28, 2017, 10:32:15 AM6/28/17
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 07:04:23 -0500, chrisv <chr...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>chrisv wrote:
>
>>"gunner" response was deleted, unread.
>
>"gunner" and "Fabrice" responses were deleted, unread.

You're a real man, chrisv... or whatever the heck you identify as
today. Hippopotamus? Crocodile? I can't keep track of transsexuals.

>Not in the mood to read the gibberish of fsckwits, this morning.

Slicing off your own balls takes up so much of your time, after all.

--
Silver Slimer
EFF & OpenMedia member,

"Desktop Linux requires less "tinkering" to keep running than does WinDOS." - chrisv, lying shamelessly

Steve Carroll

Jun 28, 2017, 4:53:12 PM6/28/17
You mean someone who couldn't do this...

<https://vid.me/g9fp>

... if his dishonest life depended on it? ;)

This uses the fetch API and data from: <https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/>,
which is actually fast as far as free testing APIs go. I was screwing around in ES6,
which I need to start writing everything in now, and I (re)wrote this version using it.
No styling, just the functionality... just the way Feeb likes it ;)

Marek Novotny

Jun 28, 2017, 6:13:40 PM6/28/17
On 2017-06-28, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 11:38:35 AM UTC-6, Marek Novotny wrote:
>> On 2017-06-16, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:

// snip

>> For you, I think you need to stay ahead of the curve, so yeah. A web dev
>> with old crap isn't much good... Come to think of it, that actually
>> reminds me of someone...
>
> You mean someone who couldn't do this...
>
> <https://vid.me/g9fp>
>
> ... if his dishonest life depended on it? ;)

yup

> This uses the fetch API and data from:
> <https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/>, which is actually fast as
> far as free testing APIs go. I was screwing around in ES6, which
> I need to start writing everything in now, and I (re)wrote this
> version using it. No styling, just the functionality... just the
> way Feeb likes it ;)

Sorry, what exactly is ES6?

Steve Carroll

Jun 28, 2017, 7:40:04 PM6/28/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 4:13:40 PM UTC-6, Marek Novotny wrote:
> On 2017-06-28, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday, June 16, 2017 at 11:38:35 AM UTC-6, Marek Novotny wrote:
> >> On 2017-06-16, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> // snip
>
> >> For you, I think you need to stay ahead of the curve, so yeah. A web dev
> >> with old crap isn't much good... Come to think of it, that actually
> >> reminds me of someone...
> >
> > You mean someone who couldn't do this...
> >
> > <https://vid.me/g9fp>
> >
> > ... if his dishonest life depended on it? ;)
>
> yup

For the record, I wasn't referring to Feeb here... it was that other well known
"web dev pro" ;)

> > This uses the fetch API and data from:
> > <https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/>, which is actually fast as
> > far as free testing APIs go. I was screwing around in ES6, which
> > I need to start writing everything in now, and I (re)wrote this
> > version using it. No styling, just the functionality... just the
> > way Feeb likes it ;)
>
> Sorry, what exactly is ES6?

The most advanced version of JavaScript that is usable by most modern browsers.
<http://es6-features.org>

While I'm at it, here's the fetch API I mentioned earlier:
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API/Using_Fetch>

The screencast I showed works on desktops because the browsers are ES6
savvy to a great extent. It'll work on mobile, too, with exceptions. For example,
in the video you can see it reads "Posts by Chelsey Dietrich" when I click the
"Get Posts" button, but on mobile the name is replaced with the special JS
value "undefined". Unfortunately, there are still little niggling details across all
the various browsers and platforms. In any event, this is a decent API to play
around with as it's fast and simple.

Marek Novotny

Jun 28, 2017, 10:46:09 PM6/28/17
On 2017-06-28, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 4:13:40 PM UTC-6, Marek Novotny wrote:
>>
>> // snip

>> > You mean someone who couldn't do this...
>> >
>> > <https://vid.me/g9fp>
>> >
>> > ... if his dishonest life depended on it? ;)
>>
>> yup
>
> For the record, I wasn't referring to Feeb here... it was that
> other well known "web dev pro" ;)

The moron, yes I got that.

>> > This uses the fetch API and data from:
>> > <https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/>, which is actually fast as
>> > far as free testing APIs go. I was screwing around in ES6, which
>> > I need to start writing everything in now, and I (re)wrote this
>> > version using it. No styling, just the functionality... just the
>> > way Feeb likes it ;)
>>
>> Sorry, what exactly is ES6?
>
> The most advanced version of JavaScript that is usable by most
> modern browsers.
> <http://es6-features.org>
>
> While I'm at it, here's the fetch API I mentioned earlier:
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API/Using_Fetch>
>
> The screencast I showed works on desktops because the browsers
> are ES6 savvy to a great extent. It'll work on mobile, too,
> with exceptions. For example, in the video you can see it reads
> "Posts by Chelsey Dietrich" when I click the "Get Posts" button,
> but on mobile the name is replaced with the special JS value
> "undefined". Unfortunately, there are still little niggling details
> across all the various browsers and platforms. In any event, this
> is a decent API to play around with as it's fast and simple.

I'll have to get into JavaScript one of these days. I'm completely into
something that will consume much of my thought for the next 4 to 5
years. It's ambitious and if I think it is working out I'll talk about
it a year or two from now. No idea if I will fail or succeed.

Snit

Jun 28, 2017, 11:21:10 PM6/28/17
On 6/28/17, 7:46 PM, in article
frSdnZdCqvt09MnE...@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny"
<marek....@marspolar.com> wrote:

> On 2017-06-28, Steve Carroll <fretw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> // snip

>>> yup
>>
>> For the record, I wasn't referring to Feeb here... it was that
>> other well known "web dev pro" ;)
>
> The moron, yes I got that.

The Stalker was speaking... no question he is talking about me. And he
thinks since I am a teacher and do some web stuff on the side this means I
must be a JavaScript expert or claim to be one or something.

Then you and he insult me because I am not what you imagined I was but never
claimed to be but still might know anyway but you assume I do not.

Which is utter insanity. The two of you are obsessed with me and deeply
jealous of what I can do, clearly.

By the way, how is it going with the things I told you about in ScreenFlow.
Did you get those to work better?

Rejected Burro

Jun 29, 2017, 3:40:31 AM6/29/17
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:05:11 AM UTC-7, Me Sham wrote:
> Desktop Linux wouldn't be stagnating if that were the case.

Most people are sheeple.

DFS

Jun 29, 2017, 10:45:03 AM6/29/17
On 6/28/2017 10:46 PM, Marek Novotny wrote:

> I'm completely into something that will consume much of my thought
> for the next 4 to 5 years.

Reading all the Garfield comics ever produced.

> It's ambitious and if I think it is working out I'll talk about it a
> year or two from now. No idea if I will fail or succeed.

You'll fail; Garfield is a clever cat.

Fabrice Lohan

Jun 29, 2017, 11:03:32 AM6/29/17
ROTFLMAO!

BTW recently I picked up an issue of Mad Magazine. I have to admit it was
hysterical. Maybe I'm regressing back to my teenage years? Maybe too much
vino and cheese?

It is loading more messages.