How to work around the new Apple iOS7 infinite loop of mistrust bug on Linux?

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 11:03:21 AM5/17/14
What's the next step in working around the Apple iOS7 infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug?

Having been burned by the infamous Apple infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug, yet
still hoping to watch multi-gigabyte-sized videos on the ipad ...

I googled for:
"how to transfer large files from linux computer to ipad"
and this workaround to the loop-of-mistrust bug came as my salvation:
"How To Mount iPhone Or iPad With iOS 7 In Ubuntu 13.10"
http://itsfoss.com/mount-iphone-ipad-ios-7-ubuntu-13-10/

That article shows Linux users how to work around the infamous Apple iOS7
"infinite loop of mistrust" bug, which Apple introduced in iOS7 to complain
about non-Apple USB chargers:
http://itsfoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/ios7-trust_this_computer1.jpeg

If I had the older Ubuntu 12.04, I could have worked around the Apple
infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug by updating the stable Linux libimobiledevice
to the unstable version libimobiledevice 1.6 as shown below for those on
Ubuntu 12.04:
http://itsfoss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/install_libimobiledevice_Ubuntu.jpeg
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ingo/ios7support
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo mkdir /var/lib/lockdown
$ sudo chmod 777 /var/lib/lockdown

But, since I was on Ubuntu 13.10, I had to work around the Apple bug
by downloading this 64-bit Debian file: libimobiledevice4_1.1.6-git20140105_amd64.deb
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libimobiledevice/+bug/1207812/+attachment/3941542/+files/libimobiledevice4_1.1.6-git20140105_amd64.deb

I saved that file to /tmp/libimobiledevice4_1.1.6-git20140105_amd64.deb and
doubleclicked on it, which extracted the workaround to two folders:
/home/liam/DEBIAN & /home/liam/usr

But, since I had never installed a Debian file before, I'm unsure of what
the next step is. I seem to be almost done.

Q: What is my next step to work around the iOS7 infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug?

nospam

May 17, 2014, 11:11:57 AM5/17/14
In article
<2d669$53777a39$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> What's the next step in working around the Apple iOS7
> infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug?

use mac os or windows.

> Having been burned by the infamous Apple infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug, yet
> still hoping to watch multi-gigabyte-sized videos on the ipad ...

sync the videos or stream them from another device.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 11:23:22 AM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 11:11:57 -0400, nospam wrote:

> sync the videos or stream them from another device.

I'm unsure what that means?

Specifically, what does "sync" mean in this situation?

On linux, I have, say, a 3GB MKV video file which plays on Linux just fine.
All I want to do is download that file to the iPad via USB cable, and, play
that MKV file on that iPad.

I don't even know what it means to "stream from another device".
What does that mean I do, on Linux, to 'stream' to the iPad?

nospam

May 17, 2014, 12:22:44 PM5/17/14
In article
<470db$53777eea$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > sync the videos or stream them from another device.
>
> I'm unsure what that means?
>
> Specifically, what does "sync" mean in this situation?

connect the device to a computer running itunes and the videos and
other content are copied automatically. it's both directions, so if you
bought music on the device, it updates the library on your computer.

> On linux, I have, say, a 3GB MKV video file which plays on Linux just fine.
> All I want to do is download that file to the iPad via USB cable, and, play
> that MKV file on that iPad.

mkv is a nonstandard format and you will need an app to play it. there
are many such apps, and you will almost certainly need to copy the
videos over wifi, not usb.

> I don't even know what it means to "stream from another device".
> What does that mean I do, on Linux, to 'stream' to the iPad?

the videos live on a server and then the iphone/ipad connects to it and
streams the video over wifi or even cellular if your server is visible
to the outside world (but beware of any charges for the amount of data
you would use on cellular).

in your case it would be streaming from your linux box, but it could
also be from youtube/netflix/hulu/apple etc.

there are also third party hard drives that have wifi and can act as a
server. just copy the videos to the hard drive as you would any other
hard drive, disconnect it and then multiple devices can stream videos
from the hard drive, each watching a different video. it's a portable
server, usually with a rechargeable battery too.

Jolly Roger

May 17, 2014, 1:19:51 PM5/17/14
On 2014-05-17, Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:
> What's the next step in working around the Apple iOS7 infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug?

A good start would be to stop buying products with system requirements
that don't match your own systems.

JR

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

May 17, 2014, 1:36:44 PM5/17/14
On 17 May 2014 17:19:51 GMT, Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> Gave us:

>On 2014-05-17, Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:
>> What's the next step in working around the Apple iOS7 infinite-loop-of-mistrust bug?
>
>A good start would be to stop buying products with system requirements
>that don't match your own systems.

Well, that's mighty jolly of you, Roger... or is it... retarded?

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 4:56:53 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 12:22:44 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> Specifically, what does "sync" mean in this situation?
>
> connect the device to a computer running itunes and the videos and
> other content are copied automatically. it's both directions, so if you
> bought music on the device, it updates the library on your computer.

Thanks for explaining what a 'sync' is.

I wonder how useful "syncing" would be for me since:
(a) I don't have the concept of a "library" on my computer in the first place.
(b) I only have well-organized hierarchical directories for audio, video, photo, etc.
(c) I also don't have iTunes installed (I don't think it even runs native on linux).

If iTunes doesn't exist, then what program would be doing all that
syncing on Linux?

Rhythmbox?

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 5:02:53 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 12:22:44 -0400, nospam wrote:

> the videos live on a server and then the iphone/ipad connects to it and
> streams the video over wifi

Thanks again for clarifying.

Seems to me the most direct and simple (KISS) method would be to simply
copy and paste over USB cable from the Linux PC to the iPad.

I do it all the time on Android, for example, which I find to be
a very simple use model (as long as I'm on Ubuntu & not Redhat).

It should be as simple to copy by wire on iOS as it is on Linux.

Worst case, I guess I can download a WiFi application, but it sure
seems like Apple is making things grossly complicated if I have to
stoop to using a WiFi application just to bring my large files over
from the PC to the iPad.

I can't imagine "streaming" the content over a "server". Besides
the huge waste of data bandwidth, the time would be incomprehensibly
long, as compared to a copy over a simple two-foot long USB cable.

Why doing such simple things from Linux to the iPad are so hard
when doing the same things is so easy with Linux to Android
befuddles me. I expected things to be *easier* (not harder) with
the ipad, as compared to Android!

Oh well, at least I can say I'm glad Google didn't verbatim copy
the entire operating system from Apple! :)

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 5:08:02 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 17:19:51 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:

> A good start would be to stop buying products with system
> requirements that don't match your own systems.

Which operating system is the incompatible one?
I have Linux. Windows. Android. And iOS.

I can easily boot to Linux and save onto a shared hard drive
that both Windows and Linux use, so, these two operating work
together on the same data without any need to transfer files.

I can easily plug in my Android cellphone and transfer files
between the pc and cellphone internal & external storage.
(Although on Redhat this was problematic due to the lack of
MTP support, Android file transfers work fine on Ubuntu.)

It's only the iOS devices that very simple things seem to
get overly complicated. You'd think Apple would know how to
design a simple use model for something as common as simple
file transfer from the PC to the iPad.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 5:26:41 PM5/17/14
In article
<a065$5377cd15$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> >> Specifically, what does "sync" mean in this situation?
> >
> > connect the device to a computer running itunes and the videos and
> > other content are copied automatically. it's both directions, so if you
> > bought music on the device, it updates the library on your computer.
>
> Thanks for explaining what a 'sync' is.
>
> I wonder how useful "syncing" would be for me since:
> (a) I don't have the concept of a "library" on my computer in the first place.
>
> (b) I only have well-organized hierarchical directories for audio, video,
> photo, etc.

that's a library, and one which you're maintaining yourself. let the
computer do the work for you. that's what it's for.

> (c) I also don't have iTunes installed (I don't think it even runs native on
> linux).

it doesn't and you're making things more difficult than they need to be.

> If iTunes doesn't exist, then what program would be doing all that
> syncing on Linux?

<http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-linux-replacements-for-it
unes/>

nospam

May 17, 2014, 5:26:44 PM5/17/14
In article
<38eef$5377ce7d$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > the videos live on a server and then the iphone/ipad connects to it and
> > streams the video over wifi
>
> Thanks again for clarifying.
>
> Seems to me the most direct and simple (KISS) method would be to simply
> copy and paste over USB cable from the Linux PC to the iPad.

nope. the most direct and simple method is to sync and let the computer
do all the work.

all you do is connect the idevice and click the sync button or set it
to automatically sync when it's connected.

either way, the computer will figure out what to copy. it can even be
done wirelessly so no need to fuss with a cable (although it will be a
bit slower for the convenience). it can be set to automatically delete
videos you've watched and copy new unplayed ones you may have
downloaded. for music, smart playlists are dynamic and can change what
they include as you listen to songs and/or rate them differently. for
instance, you could have a smart playlist of songs from the 1960s or
most frequently played songs.

doing that manually is a royal pain in the ass, if it's even possible
(most of the time it isn't).

> I do it all the time on Android, for example, which I find to be
> a very simple use model (as long as I'm on Ubuntu & not Redhat).
>
> It should be as simple to copy by wire on iOS as it is on Linux.

it's actually quite a bit easier if you use itunes, but that won't run
on linux.

that's a drawback of using a niche operating system. the software
options are very limited.

> Worst case, I guess I can download a WiFi application, but it sure
> seems like Apple is making things grossly complicated if I have to
> stoop to using a WiFi application just to bring my large files over
> from the PC to the iPad.

apple makes it extremely simple, but it's for systems that the vast
majority of users are using.

it's not worth the effort for them to port itunes to linux.

and it's not stooping to use another app. the point of third party apps
is to add functionality that apple doesn't offer. you will need a third
party app to play mkv files anyway.

> I can't imagine "streaming" the content over a "server". Besides
> the huge waste of data bandwidth, the time would be incomprehensibly
> long, as compared to a copy over a simple two-foot long USB cable.

why not? you can have many terabytes of videos and music sitting on a
server, which is *far* more than any mobile device will have any time
soon.

the server can be apple/amazon/google's cloud, or it can be a server
you maintain. if it's over wifi from a local server, you're not wasting
any bandwidth at all. if it's over cellular then there might be a cost,
which is why you either put a small subset of the content on the device
or get an unlimited bandwidth plan.

> Why doing such simple things from Linux to the iPad are so hard
> when doing the same things is so easy with Linux to Android
> befuddles me. I expected things to be *easier* (not harder) with
> the ipad, as compared to Android!

it's actually easier on ios. plug and go.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 5:26:45 PM5/17/14
In article
<18d99$5377cfb2$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > A good start would be to stop buying products with system
> > requirements that don't match your own systems.
>
> Which operating system is the incompatible one?
> I have Linux. Windows. Android. And iOS.

itunes works in windows.

> I can easily boot to Linux and save onto a shared hard drive
> that both Windows and Linux use, so, these two operating work
> together on the same data without any need to transfer files.
>
> I can easily plug in my Android cellphone and transfer files
> between the pc and cellphone internal & external storage.
> (Although on Redhat this was problematic due to the lack of
> MTP support, Android file transfers work fine on Ubuntu.)
>
> It's only the iOS devices that very simple things seem to
> get overly complicated. You'd think Apple would know how to
> design a simple use model for something as common as simple
> file transfer from the PC to the iPad.

they did.

it's called itunes.

stop trying to do things the hard way.

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 5:53:27 PM5/17/14
Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote in news:18d99$5377cfb2
$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com:

> Which operating system is the incompatible one?
> I have Linux. Windows. Android. And iOS.

As with all MAC products, you need the newest and the latest to get it to
work. There is no interest in backwards compatibility for something as
basic as file transfer.

I just fired up my iPhone 3 again - only to find that Apple doesn't even
offer me a place to download the apps that worked on that phone.

Talk about BS.

I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.

PS - no problems with my Kindle Fire HD and any of my *nix boxes.

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 5:55:44 PM5/17/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141222446169%
nos...@nospam.invalid:
Can you believe we've gotten to a point where something as trivial as
moving 'a file' has been made out to be so complex?

I had an Apple Sheep tell me that I had to use Itunes because 'file
transfer was an Apple innovation'.

Sheesh....

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 5:58:24 PM5/17/14
Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote in news:a065$5377cd15
$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com:
Do you use anything like Dropbox, or Google Drive, or any network service
like that? You change a file on your machine, and next time you connect
(sync) the change is replicated online - and then to all your other
Dropbox devices.

You can sync any folder/directory in linux - apps like Rsync (and Grsync)
have been used for backups for years...

Don't you backup your machines to another device?? That's syncing.

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 6:03:04 PM5/17/14
Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote in news:38eef$5377ce7d
$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com:

> Seems to me the most direct and simple (KISS) method would be to simply
> copy and paste over USB cable from the Linux PC to the iPad.
>
> I do it all the time on Android, for example, which I find to be
> a very simple use model (as long as I'm on Ubuntu & not Redhat).

I could see why you'd think that's simple.. But, let's say you have 10,000
files on the PC, and 10,004 files on the ipad.

How on earth would you know where the difference is?

It could be that there's 4 more files on the ipad, or 20 less on the PC,
and 24 more on the ipad.

Like somebody else said - let the computer do the work.

I do what you do all the time with movies/music. True, I have a Kindle
Fire HD - I would NEVER buy another Apple product for this issue right
here.

Why companies don't have SD slots or allow you to connect flash drives to
these portable devices is beyond me..

John Hasler

May 17, 2014, 6:36:29 PM5/17/14
TheChris writes:
> I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.

By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.
--
John Hasler
jha...@newsguy.com

nospam

May 17, 2014, 7:04:01 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA331185...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> > Which operating system is the incompatible one?
> > I have Linux. Windows. Android. And iOS.
>
> As with all MAC products, you need the newest and the latest to get it to
> work. There is no interest in backwards compatibility for something as
> basic as file transfer.

completely false.

> I just fired up my iPhone 3 again - only to find that Apple doesn't even
> offer me a place to download the apps that worked on that phone.

nonsense. it works just fine, as does the original iphone.

there are still apps available that will run on devices that old, but
the majority of apps will require a more recent system, a decision that
is entirely up to the developer, not apple.

> Talk about BS.
>
> I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.

they don't, because it's false.

> PS - no problems with my Kindle Fire HD and any of my *nix boxes.

no problems with old ios devices either, and a kindle fire is much
newer than an iphone 3g anyway.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 7:04:03 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA33118B...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you believe we've gotten to a point where something as trivial as
> moving 'a file' has been made out to be so complex?

it actually has been made *easier*. plug in the device and click a
button. there are always those who insist on doing things the hard way
though.

> I had an Apple Sheep tell me that I had to use Itunes because 'file
> transfer was an Apple innovation'.

i'm quite sure that's not what they said.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 7:04:03 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA331192...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't you backup your machines to another device?? That's syncing.

no it isn't.

syncing is bidirectional, where changes on either device will be
mirrored to the other.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 7:04:05 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA33119F...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Why companies don't have SD slots or allow you to connect flash drives to
> these portable devices is beyond me..

because fussing with cards is a pain, so most people just get a big
card and leave it in the device, at which point they might as well just
have the memory built in and not need to deal with cards at all.

plus not everything works properly off a card, so that storage isn't as
useful as built-in storage.

as for flash drives, who wants to deal with a flash drive hanging off a
device? it's a mobile device, after all. do you really think people
want flash drives plugged into their phone all the time?

nospam

May 17, 2014, 7:04:06 PM5/17/14
In article <87mwegu...@thumper.dhh.gt.org>, John Hasler
<jha...@newsguy.com> wrote:

> > I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.
>
> By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
> want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
> happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.

more bullshit.

Jolly Roger

May 17, 2014, 8:27:38 PM5/17/14
On 2014-05-17, Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 17:19:51 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> A good start would be to stop buying products with system
>> requirements that don't match your own systems.
>
> Which operating system is the incompatible one?

Great question - horrible timing! That's what you should have asked
*before* making your purchase. So go and look up the system requirements
yourself on the manufacturer's web site if you want to know what they
are - preferably before purchasing. If you had done that to begin with,
you wouldn't be bitching and moaning about yet another thingie that
doesn't support your holy & beloved Linux. If you now regret your
purchase, you do have options. Personally, if I were as displeased with
my purchase as you seem to be, I would probably sell it on eBay to get
some of the capital back to apply towards a nice, cheap, but
Linux-compatible DROIDfone.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 8:27:46 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 17:26:41 -0400, nospam wrote:

> techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-linux-replacements-for-itunes

That link went to an article titled: 10 Linux replacements for iTunes
http://techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-linux-replacements-for-itunes

The article dates back to 2008, during the iPod days, but it
does seem to contain potential iTunes-like programs on Linux.

I'll have to see if any of them has been updated for the iPad.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 8:29:25 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:58:24 +0000, TheChris wrote:

> Don't you backup your machines to another device?? That's syncing.

No.

I guess there's something going on in the "cloud" but my iPad
(which is relatively new to me) keep complaining daily that the
cloud storage is all used up.

I don't even know what it is, as I must have enabled cloud storage
at some time when I enabled it.

But, I have no idea how to even *find* my cloud, let alone figure
out what's on it.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 8:30:48 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:58:24 +0000, TheChris wrote:

> Do you use anything like Dropbox, or Google Drive,
> or any network service like that?

No.

The whole point of paying for the 128GB was to store
stuff *on* the iPad.

Why on earth would I want to store *anything* on the
net?

Makes no sense.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 8:31:51 PM5/17/14
In article
<e4fc9$5377fee5$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> I guess there's something going on in the "cloud" but my iPad
> (which is relatively new to me) keep complaining daily that the
> cloud storage is all used up.
>
> I don't even know what it is, as I must have enabled cloud storage
> at some time when I enabled it.
>
> But, I have no idea how to even *find* my cloud, let alone figure
> out what's on it.

settings>icloud

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 8:35:05 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:03:04 +0000, TheChris wrote:

> let's say you have 10,000
> files on the PC, and 10,004 files on the ipad.
> How on earth would you know where the difference is?

I have no desire whatsoever to synchronize (if I'm using the
word correctly) files on the iPad to Linux and vice versa.

All I want to do is copy over files from Linux onto the
iPad over a wire. It doesn't matter how many files there
are, as I can copy them over hierarchically.

If I *really* cared to keep them syncronized, I'd think
first about using a simple Linxu command such as rsync:
http://tecmint.com/rsync-local-remote-file-synchronization-commands

But, I have no need nor desire to syncronize files.

I just want to copy them over one way and then delete
them after I've watched them. It really should not be
all that difficult to do, over a USB cable.

Every other platform can easily do it. Why not iOS?

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 8:38:16 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:03:04 +0000, TheChris wrote:

> Why companies don't have SD slots or allow you to connect
> flash drives to these portable devices is beyond me..

I wholeheartedly agree with that.

A USB port on the iPad where I could plug in a flash drive
would be perfect - but, I can see how it might be viewed as
being too big for the device.

However, most Android devices have a tiny micro-sd card
that can be pulled out to *easily* transfer files from
Linux to iPad (and back).

The fact it's so hard to move files onto or off the iPad
contrasts with the utter ease of doing that same task on
Android.

I am surprised that iOS is this difficult for a task so
simple as moving files across a wire.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 8:43:52 PM5/17/14
In article
<6dcc$53780039$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> But, I have no need nor desire to syncronize files.
>
> I just want to copy them over one way and then delete
> them after I've watched them. It really should not be
> all that difficult to do, over a USB cable.
>
> Every other platform can easily do it. Why not iOS?

ios can easily do that.

the problem is you're trying to do it the hard way.

syncing makes it *very* easy. plug in the device, click a button and
let the computer do the rest. there are plenty of options on what gets
copied.

manually managing it is more work.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 8:43:53 PM5/17/14
In article
<3c238$537800f8$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> A USB port on the iPad where I could plug in a flash drive
> would be perfect - but, I can see how it might be viewed as
> being too big for the device.

get the camera connector. flash drives can work but with some
limitations. however, it is awkward to have anything sticking out the
bottom, especially for a phone.

another option is a portable wifi hard drive, which has a *lot* more
space than any ipad and nothing will be sticking out.

> However, most Android devices have a tiny micro-sd card
> that can be pulled out to *easily* transfer files from
> Linux to iPad (and back).
>
> The fact it's so hard to move files onto or off the iPad
> contrasts with the utter ease of doing that same task on
> Android.

it's actually easier to move files onto and off an ipad than android.

> I am surprised that iOS is this difficult for a task so
> simple as moving files across a wire.

only because you're making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 8:51:00 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 20:31:51 -0400, nospam wrote:

> settings>icloud

I see.
I had never been there.
It looks like I have 5.0GB of "Total Storage" of which "255MB" are left.

So, I turned off "iCloud Backup", and ominously it warned:
"Your iPad will back up to your computer automatically when you sync
with iTunes".

Of course, iTunes is not even on my computer, so, I don't know what
will happen.

But, at least I won't be getting those daily iCloud messages, which
is a relief.

Thanks!

nospam

May 17, 2014, 8:52:48 PM5/17/14
In article
<593e$537803f4$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > settings>icloud
>
> I see.
> I had never been there.
> It looks like I have 5.0GB of "Total Storage" of which "255MB" are left.
>
> So, I turned off "iCloud Backup", and ominously it warned:
> "Your iPad will back up to your computer automatically when you sync
> with iTunes".
>
> Of course, iTunes is not even on my computer, so, I don't know what
> will happen.

you won't have a backup, that's what.

> But, at least I won't be getting those daily iCloud messages, which
> is a relief.

until you lose data.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 9:02:34 PM5/17/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 00:27:38 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Great question - horrible timing! That's what you should have
> asked *before* making your purchase

It was a birthday gift.

From people who *knew* I was on Linux.

They were trying to convert me.

I can say that I am shocked about how the iPad interface works.
It's very much like Android. So close to Android that I would assume
much was copied by Google, since very much is the same.

What's NOT the same is that many things are vastly harder to do on iOS
than they are on Android.

As just some examples, it's really difficult to test WiFi roaming
across the same SSID at home (I have a WiFi repeater of the same SSID).
On Android, it's trivially simple. On iPad, it's apparently impossible
(without rooting anyway).

Likewise with app selection.
On Android, there's an app for everything.
On iPad, it's like looking for fruit in the desert.
There's almost no useful apps, by way of comparison.

On iPad, you just have to do without.

By way of example, I tried to get Audacity to download on the iPad.
It doesn't exist. There's no VLC video player. There's no decent usenet
newsreader, and certainly nothing for free exists on the iPad.

There are no decent free offline map apps. There's not even a decent
bittorrent app. I can't see to get remote GPS tracking to work on my
iPad (which was trivial to get going on Android). And, I can't even
change what browser the default links show up as in the iPad.

All this (and more) is trivial on Android.

For a copied OS, you'd think things would be *easier* on the iPad,
which, I assume, had invented the tablet OS in the first place!

I can't even get the venerable Firefox or Thunderbird on the iPad.
All of these programs work just fine on Android, Linux, & Windows.

Having come from the Windows world, I was happily surprised that
Linux has almost everything Windows had. Then, having added Android,
I was pleasantly surprised that Android did almost everything I had
wanted a phone to do.

But, now having gone from Android to iOS, I'm left hanging with
nothing below me more often than not. If it wasn't for you guys,
I'd be dead on this iPad (I am very grateful you all exist!!!!!).

In fact, if it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't be able to get
anything useful done on the iPad. So, I do very much appreciate
your help and advice!

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 9:06:56 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 20:52:48 -0400, nospam wrote:

> so, I don't know what will happen.
> you won't have a backup, that's what.

Thanks for clarifying that.
I hadn't even *asked* for a backup, and, I wouldn't have a clue how to
*use* the backup that I have, so, at the moment, I'm not missing anything
by not having a backup.

I'm happy that I don't have to click all those failed backup messages
now.

Anyway, had I *wanted* to store my stuff on the net, I would have googled
for Dropbox or Google drive or whatever they call it, and figured out
which is the most secure and cheapest.

But, I don't even want a backup.

>> But, at least I won't be getting those daily iCloud messages, which
>> is a relief.
> until you lose data.

Hm. I wonder what "data" I care about that is on the iPad?
I guess my mail is important - but that's on a server.
My address book might be important - but that came from my mail anyway,
so, it's on the server also.

I have a bunch of pictures, but I simply want to transfer them to
Linux, which I back up regularly, so, the only "backup" I need is
to transfer picture/video/audio files to my Linux laptop.

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 9:07:58 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 20:43:52 -0400, nospam wrote:

> syncing makes it *very* easy. plug in the device, click a button and
> let the computer do the rest. there are plenty of options on what gets
> copied.

OK. I will take your advice as you seem to be rather well informed.
I thank you for your patience.
I will try to see how I can sync to the Linux laptop by reading the
recommended articles (albeit they were for the iPod).

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 9:08:39 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 20:43:53 -0400, nospam wrote:

> another option is a portable wifi hard drive, which has a *lot* more
> space than any ipad and nothing will be sticking out.

In a way, that's what I can do with my Linux laptop, right?

Liam O'Connor

May 17, 2014, 9:11:47 PM5/17/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 20:43:53 -0400, nospam wrote:

> it's actually easier to move files onto and off an ipad than android.

I will readily admit that, on Redhat, it was miserable to get MTP working
so that newer Android phones would be recognized.

I had to use PTP, which was less satisfactory, to move all my pictures
and videos from Android to Redhat.

However, moving to Ubuntu solved all that, such that moving files from
the Android phone to Linux because trivially easy, like it should be.

If iOS is as easy to move files over a USB cable, I haven't found the
trick yet. :)

I did move an artificial zip file over, using a wifi app, but the goal is
to move the files over the wire, not over the wifi.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 9:47:15 PM5/17/14
In article
<76bcd$537806aa$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > Great question - horrible timing! That's what you should have
> > asked *before* making your purchase
>
> It was a birthday gift.
>
> From people who *knew* I was on Linux.
>
> They were trying to convert me.

convert you to what? it's just a tablet, not a religion.

> I can say that I am shocked about how the iPad interface works.
> It's very much like Android. So close to Android that I would assume
> much was copied by Google, since very much is the same.

much of it was.

> What's NOT the same is that many things are vastly harder to do on iOS
> than they are on Android.

no, they're just different. you're trying to put a square peg in a
round hole. many things are quite a bit easier on ios, but you have to
not fight it.

> As just some examples, it's really difficult to test WiFi roaming
> across the same SSID at home (I have a WiFi repeater of the same SSID).
> On Android, it's trivially simple. On iPad, it's apparently impossible
> (without rooting anyway).

nonsense. if the wifi network is set up with the same ssid, it should
just work.

> Likewise with app selection.
> On Android, there's an app for everything.
> On iPad, it's like looking for fruit in the desert.
> There's almost no useful apps, by way of comparison.

nonsense. the popular apps are on both platforms.

not only that but most companies target ios first because that's where
the money is. plus, android is quite a bit harder to develop for
several reasons, including fragmentation. if the app is successful they
will probably release for android later unless they have a large enough
budget to do both at the same time.

> On iPad, you just have to do without.

depends on the app. sometimes on android you have to do without.

here's one example:
<http://www.cnet.com/news/sorry-android-fans-nike-fuelband-se-is-still-o
nly-for-ios/>

> By way of example, I tried to get Audacity to download on the iPad.
> It doesn't exist.

there are many equivalent apps. what problem are you trying to solve?

> There's no VLC video player.

yes there is, as well as hundreds of similar apps.

and if you weren't trying to overcomplicate copying files, the built in
video app would work quite well.

> There's no decent usenet
> newsreader,

true, but usenet apps are not much better on android. there may be more
newsreaders there, but they pretty much all suck.

> and certainly nothing for free exists on the iPad.

there's quite a bit for free, but even a couple of bucks isn't going to
break the bank.

> There are no decent free offline map apps.

yes there are, and even the built in maps app can cache maps.

> There's not even a decent
> bittorrent app.

so what? if you're going to download stuff, do it on a desktop computer
that's always on and always connected. besides, bittorrent is mainly
used for pirating.

> I can't see to get remote GPS tracking to work on my
> iPad (which was trivial to get going on Android).

what's to get to work? launch whatever app that uses the gps. done.

if you mean find my iphone/ipad, then that just needs to be enabled.

> And, I can't even
> change what browser the default links show up as in the iPad.

true, but you do have a choice of hundreds of browsers.

> All this (and more) is trivial on Android.

then sell the ipad and get an android tablet.

> For a copied OS, you'd think things would be *easier* on the iPad,
> which, I assume, had invented the tablet OS in the first place!

most of what you describe *is* easier on the ipad. you're just trying
to make it more complex than it needs to be.

> I can't even get the venerable Firefox or Thunderbird on the iPad.
> All of these programs work just fine on Android, Linux, & Windows.

so what? there are hundreds of other browsers.

> Having come from the Windows world, I was happily surprised that
> Linux has almost everything Windows had.

bullshit. the software that's available for linux is a tiny fraction of
what's available on windows and most of it is not even close in
functionality and performance.

> Then, having added Android,
> I was pleasantly surprised that Android did almost everything I had
> wanted a phone to do.

then get an android tablet to go with it.

> But, now having gone from Android to iOS, I'm left hanging with
> nothing below me more often than not. If it wasn't for you guys,
> I'd be dead on this iPad (I am very grateful you all exist!!!!!).
>
> In fact, if it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't be able to get
> anything useful done on the iPad. So, I do very much appreciate
> your help and advice!

you wouldn't need as much assistance if you weren't trying to fight it
all the time.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 9:47:18 PM5/17/14
In article
<7002a$537807b0$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > so, I don't know what will happen.
> > you won't have a backup, that's what.
>
> Thanks for clarifying that.
> I hadn't even *asked* for a backup, and, I wouldn't have a clue how to
> *use* the backup that I have, so, at the moment, I'm not missing anything
> by not having a backup.

when you first set up a new device, it will ask you if you want to set
it up as a new device or from a backup. choose backup and it takes care
of the rest. it's that simple.

when it's done, the new device will have what the old device did at the
time the backup was made. the only issue is that with icloud, it will
take longer and there may be minor differences, such as if it downloads
a later version of an app because it had been updated since the time
the backup was made.

> I'm happy that I don't have to click all those failed backup messages
> now.

you won't be happy if you lose data because of a lack of backup.

> Anyway, had I *wanted* to store my stuff on the net, I would have googled
> for Dropbox or Google drive or whatever they call it, and figured out
> which is the most secure and cheapest.

none of those are as seamless as icloud (not that icloud is perfect
because it definitely is not).

> But, I don't even want a backup.

why not?

> >> But, at least I won't be getting those daily iCloud messages, which
> >> is a relief.
> > until you lose data.
>
> Hm. I wonder what "data" I care about that is on the iPad?
> I guess my mail is important - but that's on a server.
> My address book might be important - but that came from my mail anyway,
> so, it's on the server also.

the mail server configuration and any wifi passwords, along with quite
a bit more.

> I have a bunch of pictures, but I simply want to transfer them to
> Linux, which I back up regularly, so, the only "backup" I need is
> to transfer picture/video/audio files to my Linux laptop.

what other apps do you use? they all have data.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 9:47:20 PM5/17/14
In article
<5a5a5$537807ee$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
that shouldn't matter unless the linux itunes replacements can't handle
syncing apps.

what you should do is boot to windows and run itunes. stop fighting the
system.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 9:47:21 PM5/17/14
In article
<1bea6$53780817$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > another option is a portable wifi hard drive, which has a *lot* more
> > space than any ipad and nothing will be sticking out.
>
> In a way, that's what I can do with my Linux laptop, right?

you could, but the laptop would need to be on and with you (unless you
can access it from anywhere).

the advantage of a portable wifi hard drive is that it can slip into a
pocket and be the server, without the need to carry a laptop everywhere
you go.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 9:47:22 PM5/17/14
In article
<8f781$537808d3$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:

> > it's actually easier to move files onto and off an ipad than android.
>
> I will readily admit that, on Redhat, it was miserable to get MTP working
> so that newer Android phones would be recognized.
>
> I had to use PTP, which was less satisfactory, to move all my pictures
> and videos from Android to Redhat.
>
> However, moving to Ubuntu solved all that, such that moving files from
> the Android phone to Linux because trivially easy, like it should be.
>
> If iOS is as easy to move files over a USB cable, I haven't found the
> trick yet. :)

itunes.

> I did move an artificial zip file over, using a wifi app, but the goal is
> to move the files over the wire, not over the wifi.

what's an artificial zip?

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 10:01:00 PM5/17/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141904030887%
nos...@nospam.invalid:

> no it isn't.
>
> syncing is bidirectional, where changes on either device will be
> mirrored to the other.

That's EXACTLY what I do with (g)rsync. I delete a file in one place - it
deletes it on the other. I add a file here, it adds it there.

What am I missing?

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 10:02:14 PM5/17/14
Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote in news:be970$5377ff38
$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com:
The day you drop your iDevice into a toilet... you'll get it :)

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 10:04:50 PM5/17/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141904050965%
nos...@nospam.invalid:

> because fussing with cards is a pain, so most people just get a big
> card and leave it in the device, at which point they might as well just
> have the memory built in and not need to deal with cards at all.
>
> plus not everything works properly off a card, so that storage isn't as
> useful as built-in storage.
>
> as for flash drives, who wants to deal with a flash drive hanging off a
> device? it's a mobile device, after all. do you really think people
> want flash drives plugged into their phone all the time?

So, you're telling ME that cards are a pain? I use cards all the time...
32GB cards that let me move between many devices.

I'm not saying I'd have a flash drive dangling from anything.

But, in this case - if I wanted to move a move to my device easily, it
sure would be cool to plug the drive in for 15 seconds and do it.

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 10:05:32 PM5/17/14
Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote in news:6dcc$53780039
$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com:

> Every other platform can easily do it. Why not iOS?

Not many people seem to ask that simple question :)

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 10:13:32 PM5/17/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141904030836%
nos...@nospam.invalid:

> In article <XnsA33118B...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
> <cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you believe we've gotten to a point where something as trivial as
>> moving 'a file' has been made out to be so complex?
>
> it actually has been made *easier*. plug in the device and click a
> button. there are always those who insist on doing things the hard way
> though.
>
>> I had an Apple Sheep tell me that I had to use Itunes because 'file
>> transfer was an Apple innovation'.
>
> i'm quite sure that's not what they said.

That's EXACTLY what she said. Her Itunes was corrupted, and she couldn't
reset it without warning her that it would erase her phone.

I don't know why you seem to have this need to argue.

It is NOT easy.

If you look at the file structure of the song files on an iphone - they
change all the folders and song names so they're ONLY recognizable to
itunes.

They have gone out of their way to make a simple task complex.

If you're answer is to 'stop fighting' the system... they deserve every
dime from you every time you're conned to upgrade to a new IOS or new
iMac.

I should be able to move song files from a 286 to a tablet if I want to...

That's freedom man! :)

Savageduck

May 17, 2014, 10:16:03 PM5/17/14
Here is a possible solution for you. Unfortunately you have made your
position clear that you want *FREE* stuff and this isn't in that
category.
< http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iUSBport-Mini/ >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 10:20:20 PM5/17/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141904010766%
nos...@nospam.invalid:

> In article <XnsA331185...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
> <cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Which operating system is the incompatible one?
>> > I have Linux. Windows. Android. And iOS.
>>
>> As with all MAC products, you need the newest and the latest to get
it to
>> work. There is no interest in backwards compatibility for something
as
>> basic as file transfer.
>
> completely false.
>
>> I just fired up my iPhone 3 again - only to find that Apple doesn't
even
>> offer me a place to download the apps that worked on that phone.
>
> nonsense. it works just fine, as does the original iphone.
>
> there are still apps available that will run on devices that old, but
> the majority of apps will require a more recent system, a decision
that
> is entirely up to the developer, not apple.
>
>> Talk about BS.
>>
>> I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.
>
> they don't, because it's false.
>
>> PS - no problems with my Kindle Fire HD and any of my *nix boxes.
>
> no problems with old ios devices either, and a kindle fire is much
> newer than an iphone 3g anyway.

Dude... I just don't know what you're deal is....

If I - from my iphone 3 - go to the app store - why on earth would it
show me apps that are not compatible with my iphone 3??

I KNOW I downloaded Scrabble before.... It's gone now.... I guess ALL
of the developers just decided to remove ALL their old apps.

Do you even read what you write??

Let me contrast it with this... If I want to find ANY old text-based
Linux app (like Tin for instance) - not only can I find it, but I can
run it...

Why would an 'old' app suddenly not work on newer software if the new
software isn't adding any functionality? It's not like i'm on a text-
based system trying to view HD videos.

Has Scrabble evolved SO MUCH that my iphone 3 - that used to play it -
is incabable of playing it anymore?

C'mon..... Do you buy new cars with that logic??

Savageduck

May 17, 2014, 10:28:46 PM5/17/14
Not *FREE* or inexpensive, but another possible solution:
< http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iUSBportHD/ >

--
Regards,

Savageduck

TheChris

May 17, 2014, 11:20:09 PM5/17/14
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

> Here is a possible solution for you. Unfortunately you have made your
> position clear that you want *FREE* stuff and this isn't in that
> category.
> < http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/iUSBport-Mini/ >

I don't want just free stuff.... I'm on a Windows box now. I just want
things to be interchangeable...

This product looks good. I have something by that company for full-sized
SD cards....

nospam

May 17, 2014, 11:25:24 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA33142F...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> > because fussing with cards is a pain, so most people just get a big
> > card and leave it in the device, at which point they might as well just
> > have the memory built in and not need to deal with cards at all.
> >
> > plus not everything works properly off a card, so that storage isn't as
> > useful as built-in storage.
> >
> > as for flash drives, who wants to deal with a flash drive hanging off a
> > device? it's a mobile device, after all. do you really think people
> > want flash drives plugged into their phone all the time?
>
> So, you're telling ME that cards are a pain? I use cards all the time...
> 32GB cards that let me move between many devices.

you might, but most people don't.

> I'm not saying I'd have a flash drive dangling from anything.
>
> But, in this case - if I wanted to move a move to my device easily, it
> sure would be cool to plug the drive in for 15 seconds and do it.

even easier, just a couple of clicks and itunes will sync over wifi to
the device, without needing to fuss with cables (although it will be
faster with a cable).

or just stream from the cloud. why bother copying at all.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 11:25:30 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA331446...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Can you believe we've gotten to a point where something as trivial as
> >> moving 'a file' has been made out to be so complex?
> >
> > it actually has been made *easier*. plug in the device and click a
> > button. there are always those who insist on doing things the hard way
> > though.
> >
> >> I had an Apple Sheep tell me that I had to use Itunes because 'file
> >> transfer was an Apple innovation'.
> >
> > i'm quite sure that's not what they said.
>
> That's EXACTLY what she said. Her Itunes was corrupted, and she couldn't
> reset it without warning her that it would erase her phone.

that isn't anything close to 'file transfer was an apple innovation'.

> I don't know why you seem to have this need to argue.

i'm not arguing.

> It is NOT easy.

nonsense, of course it is.

> If you look at the file structure of the song files on an iphone - they
> change all the folders and song names so they're ONLY recognizable to
> itunes.

they changed the names because memory is limited on portable devices
and there is a huge performance advantage for optimizing the database
where the file name is a hash and since users don't interact with the
file system, it's a very easy and clever way to improve it.

songs are accessed through the music app (or any third party app that
supports the music library), so no direct file system is needed (and
it's very limiting anyway). songs are sorted by standard id3 tags, in
several ways. you can't do that with a file/folder hierarchy.

> They have gone out of their way to make a simple task complex.

quite the opposite. they made it much easier and added a lot of
functionality that was otherwise not possible (or very difficult, at
best).

with a file/folder hierarchy, you are stuck with whatever arrangement
you pick and it's also a lot of work to maintain it, finding the
appropriate folder each time you get new music.

with a database, the organization is not limited to the file system and
is vastly more flexible. you can easily have groupings such as 60's
songs, instrumentals, female vocalists, most played songs, etc. that
span multiple folders and still sort by the usual album, artist, genre,
etc.

there are also smart playlists which dynamically update, including
based on play count or skip count. when you sync, itunes can
automatically copy music based on that (or other parameters), such as
music you haven't listened to in a while from the master library or
have it delete songs on the device that you keep skipping.

all of those tasks are anywhere from very complex to impossible without
using a database, which is what itunes does. drag/drop would be a huge
step backwards in functionality.

but, if you really want to drag/drop content, you can still do that.
just enable manually manage music and videos, except it's a lot more
work for very little gain.

> If you're answer is to 'stop fighting' the system... they deserve every
> dime from you every time you're conned to upgrade to a new IOS or new
> iMac.

nobody is conned into anything and system upgrades are free anyway.

> I should be able to move song files from a 286 to a tablet if I want to...

who the hell is using a 286 these days? and even if someone did still
use one, it won't have usb or wifi, so it isn't going to work tablets.

> That's freedom man! :)

no it's not.

nospam

May 17, 2014, 11:25:34 PM5/17/14
In article <XnsA331459...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
<cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I just fired up my iPhone 3 again - only to find that Apple doesn't
> >> even offer me a place to download the apps that worked on that phone.
> >
> > nonsense. it works just fine, as does the original iphone.
> >
> > there are still apps available that will run on devices that old, but
> > the majority of apps will require a more recent system, a decision
> > that is entirely up to the developer, not apple.
> >
> >> Talk about BS.
> >>
> >> I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.
> >
> > they don't, because it's false.
> >
> >> PS - no problems with my Kindle Fire HD and any of my *nix boxes.
> >
> > no problems with old ios devices either, and a kindle fire is much
> > newer than an iphone 3g anyway.
>
> Dude... I just don't know what you're deal is....
>
> If I - from my iphone 3 - go to the app store - why on earth would it
> show me apps that are not compatible with my iphone 3??

first of all, there is no iphone 3.

it's either an iphone 3g or a 3gs. i assume you mean the former but it
could be the latter.

> I KNOW I downloaded Scrabble before.... It's gone now.... I guess ALL
> of the developers just decided to remove ALL their old apps.

basically yes.

assuming you have an iphone 3g, the latest ios that it can run is
4.2.1. that's really old.

if it's an iphone 3gs, it stops at 6.1.6, which is pretty good
considering it originally shipped with 3.0. that's 4 major versions of
ios supported.

anyway, under 1% of ios devices are currently running ios 5 or earlier,
which means it's definitely not worth it for a developer to maintain
compatibility with ios 7 all the way back to 4.2.1. however, in this
case, scrabble does. i just checked, and scrabble requires 5.1.1 so it
will run on a 3gs, but not a 3g.

that said, a developer can continue to offer previous versions of their
apps for those with older devices, but that's up to the developer, not
apple.

however, that isn't always possible because in some cases, the app
might connect to a server and the server side changed, so although the
older app can run on the device, it can't talk to the server anymore.
again, that's up to developer how far back to support.

and also keep in mind that the iphone 3gs was released in june, 2009,
about the same time as android cupcake. how many android phones that
shipped with cupcake or even donut or eclair still have available apps?
many of those phones can't be upgraded much or at all, with most
android apps wanting at least gingerbread and i'm starting to see a
number of jellybean or later apps.

in other words, the same problem exists on android too and also windows
phone.

> Do you even read what you write??

yes.

> Let me contrast it with this... If I want to find ANY old text-based
> Linux app (like Tin for instance) - not only can I find it, but I can
> run it...

if you have the source code to an old ios or android app, you can build
it and run it too.

> Why would an 'old' app suddenly not work on newer software if the new
> software isn't adding any functionality? It's not like i'm on a text-
> based system trying to view HD videos.

one reason is it used apis that changed or are no longer available.
another, as i mentioned, is it talks to a server and the server side
changed. there can be other reasons too.

certainly you've seen existing apps break with a new system release.
this is a fairly standard occurrence with computers.

> Has Scrabble evolved SO MUCH that my iphone 3 - that used to play it -
> is incabable of playing it anymore?

it might have. the current version was originally released in 2012,
which is long after the iphone 3g came out, so there must have been an
earlier version that was replaced. i don't know what functionality
changed though.

electronic arts can offer older versions, but that's up to them, not
apple.

> C'mon..... Do you buy new cars with that logic??

how is that even relevant??

but it happens there too. for instance, a stereo you install in a one
car most likely won't fit a new car. or you'll want a new stereo
anyway, like a cd player instead of cassette, or an mp3 player instead
of a cd player. or maybe just a bluetooth interface so you can use a
mobile device that has music on it.

Jolly Roger

May 18, 2014, 1:06:23 AM5/18/14
On 2014-05-18, TheChris <cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141904030836%
> nos...@nospam.invalid:
>
>>> I had an Apple Sheep tell me that I had to use Itunes because 'file
>>> transfer was an Apple innovation'.
>>
>> i'm quite sure that's not what they said.
>
> That's EXACTLY what she said. Her Itunes was corrupted, and she couldn't
> reset it without warning her that it would erase her phone.

So according to you, she had a problem with iTunes, and in response, she
said "file transfer was an Apple innovation"? That makes no sense.
Something tells me you probably aren't being entirely truthful with us
about this supposed exchange of words. ; )

> I don't know why you seem to have this need to argue.
>
> It is NOT easy.

For you, maybe. The rest of us find synchronizing data from my
iPhone/iPad to my computer to be quite easy. In fact most of the time it
happens without any action on my part what-so-ever. How much easier
could it be than that? Thanks, Apple! : )

JR
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Peter Köhlmann

May 18, 2014, 5:03:30 AM5/18/14
Lewis wrote:

> In message <XnsA331459...@78.46.70.116>
> Developers update their apps. When the update requires a new OS version,
> the old version is no longer available.

And that is apples fault, not the one of the developers
Apple decides the rules of the app store

Peter Köhlmann

May 18, 2014, 5:06:23 AM5/18/14
nospam wrote:

> In article <87mwegu...@thumper.dhh.gt.org>, John Hasler
> <jha...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> > I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.
>>
>> By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
>> want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
>> happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.
>
> more bullshit.

No, it is exactly to the point.
Apple routinely breaks applications even in OSX.
And don't tell me that I don't know that stuff. I own a Mac because I write
programs for it. It is a developers nightmare. Shitty beyond belief.
If some customers would not want OSX versions of my programs, I would remove
OSX from that thingy and run only linux on it

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Chris Ahlstrom

May 18, 2014, 8:09:12 AM5/18/14
nospam wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> In article
> <18d99$5377cfb2$43da7656$83...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
> O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:
>
>> > A good start would be to stop buying products with system
>> > requirements that don't match your own systems.
>>
>> Which operating system is the incompatible one?
>> I have Linux. Windows. Android. And iOS.
>
> itunes works in windows.
>
>> I can easily ...
>>
>> I can easily ...
>>
>> It's only the iOS devices that very simple things seem to
>> get overly complicated....
>
> they did.
>
> it's called itunes.
>
> stop trying to do things the hard way.

If I may interject here. iTunes is shit, in my opinion. Tried it on
Windoze a few years back. What a godawful piece of software. Crap user
interface, screwed up an iPod as well.

--
"jackpot: you may have an unnecessary change record"
-- message from "diff"

Chris Ahlstrom

May 18, 2014, 8:11:04 AM5/18/14
nospam wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> In article <87mwegu...@thumper.dhh.gt.org>, John Hasler
> <jha...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> > I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.
>>
>> By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
>> want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
>> happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.
>
> more bullshit.

Right. Apple does care. About lining its pockets. That's why Apple sues
companies with better solutions, like Samsung.

I'm gonna thread plonk because this crap is off-topic in the Linux
newsgroups. I like Linux. I don't care about Apple.

Buh bye.

--
BOFH excuse #173:

Recursive traversal of loopback mount points

TJ

May 18, 2014, 10:46:14 AM5/18/14
On 05/17/2014 08:35 PM, Liam O'Connor wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:03:04 +0000, TheChris wrote:
>
>> let's say you have 10,000
>> files on the PC, and 10,004 files on the ipad.
>> How on earth would you know where the difference is?
>
> I have no desire whatsoever to synchronize (if I'm using the
> word correctly) files on the iPad to Linux and vice versa.
>
> All I want to do is copy over files from Linux onto the
> iPad over a wire. It doesn't matter how many files there
> are, as I can copy them over hierarchically.
>
> If I *really* cared to keep them syncronized, I'd think
> first about using a simple Linxu command such as rsync:
> http://tecmint.com/rsync-local-remote-file-synchronization-commands
>
> But, I have no need nor desire to syncronize files.
>
> I just want to copy them over one way and then delete
> them after I've watched them. It really should not be
> all that difficult to do, over a USB cable.

I'm with you, Liam. I don't have an iPad, but I do have an Android
tablet. I don't really care to have everything that's on my computer to
be synced with my tablet. I don't even want all of any one category of
data like photos, videos, email, etc. on my tablet.

I do all my serious work on my Mageia Linux PC. My tablet is more for
entertainment purposes. I don't need 10,000 photos on my tablet to show
to people - 100 or so of my favorites to choose from would be more than
plenty. I don't need my entire video or ebook library at my fingertips
everywhere I go - a rolling selection of a dozen of each is more than
plenty. And few enough that it's easy to keep track of myself.

> Every other platform can easily do it. Why not iOS?

Well that's simple enough. Apple wants you to use Apple stuff with their
Apple hardware. They don't make any money if you use Linux.

You might better stick with Android for your videos. Apple fans will
deny it, but the simple fact is that on a 10-inch screen, the human eye
is unable to see the difference in resolution between a good Android
tablet and an iPad when watching a video. Plus, a wide-screen Android
tablet is closer to the native aspect ratio of most videos.

TJ

TJ

May 18, 2014, 11:00:40 AM5/18/14
On 05/18/2014 01:06 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2014-05-18, TheChris <cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:170520141904030836%
>> nos...@nospam.invalid:

>>> i'm quite sure that's not what they said.
>>
>> That's EXACTLY what she said. Her Itunes was corrupted, and she couldn't
>> reset it without warning her that it would erase her phone.
>
> So according to you, she had a problem with iTunes, and in response, she
> said "file transfer was an Apple innovation"? That makes no sense.
> Something tells me you probably aren't being entirely truthful with us
> about this supposed exchange of words. ; )
>
>> I don't know why you seem to have this need to argue.
>>
>> It is NOT easy.
>
> For you, maybe. The rest of us find synchronizing data from my
> iPhone/iPad to my computer to be quite easy. In fact most of the time it
> happens without any action on my part what-so-ever. How much easier
> could it be than that? Thanks, Apple! : )

So, Apple is in charge of what data is and is not stored on your
iDevice? Does everything for you, including conveniently storing backups
of everything for you? And you have nothing to do with making the decisions?

Wow. More and more, I'm grateful I don't "own" any Apple devices.
("Own," in the same sense that one "owns" a Windows OS." Apparently, one
only licenses the right to use them.) The more I read, the more I
believe Apple is even more evilly insidious than Microsoft.

TJ

Jonathan N. Little

May 18, 2014, 11:34:16 AM5/18/14
A shadowy cloaked specter of S Jobs waves its hand, "Those aren't the
files you're looking for..."

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

May 18, 2014, 11:54:17 AM5/18/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 11:34:16 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
<lws...@gmail.com> Gave us:
Looks like the farce is with them.

Erilar

May 18, 2014, 11:58:49 AM5/18/14
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> .
>
> Developers update their apps. When the update requires a new OS version,
> the old version is no longer available.

Which has caused me some nasty problems!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Erilar

May 18, 2014, 11:58:51 AM5/18/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

I seem to have deleted the crybaby attribution. Sorry, nospam

>> There are no decent free offline map apps.
>
> yes there are, and even the built in maps app can cache maps.

MapsWithMe has a free light version and the paid version is incredibly
useful; I've been using it for actual years now, and with the new iPadAir,
the GPS works fantastically offline. It even worked in an airplane when I
had airplane mode turned on over Europe, to my astonishment. It tells me
things Googlemaps leaves out!

Erilar

May 18, 2014, 11:58:50 AM5/18/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <8f781$537808d3$43da7656$14...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Liam
> O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:
>
>>> it's actually easier to move files onto and off an ipad than android.
>>
>> I will readily admit that, on Redhat, it was miserable to get MTP working
>> so that newer Android phones would be recognized.
>>
>> I had to use PTP, which was less satisfactory, to move all my pictures
>> and videos from Android to Redhat.
>>
>> However, moving to Ubuntu solved all that, such that moving files from
>> the Android phone to Linux because trivially easy, like it should be.
>>
>> If iOS is as easy to move files over a USB cable, I haven't found the
>> trick yet. :)
>
> itunes.
>
>> I did move an artificial zip file over, using a wifi app, but the goal is
>> to move the files over the wire, not over the wifi.
>
> what's an artificial zip?

Maybe it's the one Pages sends from the iPad that my laptop can't open
instead of letting me transfer documents simply in the past?

Erilar

May 18, 2014, 11:58:52 AM5/18/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <87mwegu...@thumper.dhh.gt.org>, John Hasler
> <jha...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>>> I don't know how the masses put up with that crap.
>>
>> By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
>> want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
>> happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.
>
> more bullshit.

People who try to use multiple incompatible systems at once seem to be
generating the majority of complaints. If they can't wean themselves from
the others, why buy ANY Apple products, such as an iPad?

Erilar

May 18, 2014, 11:58:52 AM5/18/14
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <XnsA331192...@78.46.70.116>, TheChris
> <cab...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Don't you backup your machines to another device?? That's syncing.
>
> no it isn't.
>
> syncing is bidirectional, where changes on either device will be
> mirrored to the other.

And my computer asks me to choose when there's a conflict.

Jolly Roger

May 18, 2014, 12:19:35 PM5/18/14
Only a fool would draw those conclusions from what I wrote.

Jolly Roger

May 18, 2014, 12:21:08 PM5/18/14
You say this, yet I doubt you have the balls to tell us which piece of
Mac software you're supposedly in charge of developing so we can judge
your abilities for ourselves.

nospam

May 18, 2014, 12:41:08 PM5/18/14
In article <lla7t9$mku$3...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ahlstrom
<OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:

> If I may interject here. iTunes is shit, in my opinion. Tried it on
> Windoze a few years back. What a godawful piece of software. Crap user
> interface,

you're certainly welcome to your opinion, but what's crap about it?
simply saying it's crap is meaningless.

> screwed up an iPod as well.

no it didn't.

you told it to do whatever it was it did. at no point will itunes erase
or alter the contents of an ipod, iphone or ipad without the user
confirming it.

nospam

May 18, 2014, 12:41:10 PM5/18/14
In article <lla80o$mku$4...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ahlstrom
<OFee...@teleworm.us> wrote:

> >> By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
> >> want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
> >> happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.
> >
> > more bullshit.
>
> Right. Apple does care. About lining its pockets.

as does every company. they aren't charities.

> That's why Apple sues
> companies with better solutions, like Samsung.

samsung cares about lining its pockets too.

apple sued samsung because samsung blatantly stole apple intellectual
property and not only did the courts agree, but samsung themselves
admitted they did. they just thought that the punishment was too high.

also, apple gets sued more than any other tech company.

> I'm gonna thread plonk because this crap is off-topic in the Linux
> newsgroups. I like Linux. I don't care about Apple.

obviously.

nospam

May 18, 2014, 12:41:12 PM5/18/14
In article <llah3n$r2s$1...@dont-email.me>, TJ <T...@noneofyour.business>
wrote:

> Well that's simple enough. Apple wants you to use Apple stuff with their
> Apple hardware. They don't make any money if you use Linux.

false.

apple doesn't make any money if you use windows or even mac os either.
itunes is free.

they do make money on the sale of the ipad itself, just like any other
company would with whatever hardware they make.

beyond that, there is no obligation to buy anything from apple. there
are plenty of third party accessories, for instance.

> You might better stick with Android for your videos. Apple fans will
> deny it, but the simple fact is that on a 10-inch screen, the human eye
> is unable to see the difference in resolution between a good Android
> tablet and an iPad when watching a video.

that has absolutely nothing to do with apple, android, surface or
anything else.

what matters is the resolution and quality of the display and the
quality of the video.

ipads use very good ips panels. android devices vary. some android
devices have ips displays and some don't. some are high resolution
('retina') and some aren't.

> Plus, a wide-screen Android
> tablet is closer to the native aspect ratio of most videos.

true, but it's also more awkward for everything else.

it depends what you want to do with the tablet. if all you want is a
movie player then an ipad is gross overkill. if you want a tablet
computing device that also plays movies, then an ipad is a good choice.

nospam

May 18, 2014, 12:41:13 PM5/18/14
In article <llahup$pa$1...@dont-email.me>, TJ <T...@noneofyour.business>
wrote:

> So, Apple is in charge of what data is and is not stored on your
> iDevice? Does everything for you, including conveniently storing backups
> of everything for you? And you have nothing to do with making the decisions?

complete utter bullshit.

where the hell did you get that ridiculous idea?

the user decides what is and is not on their idevice and backups can be
in the cloud or on a computer, or not at all.

apple has no say in the matter.

> Wow. More and more, I'm grateful I don't "own" any Apple devices.
> ("Own," in the same sense that one "owns" a Windows OS." Apparently, one
> only licenses the right to use them.) The more I read, the more I
> believe Apple is even more evilly insidious than Microsoft.

you aren't reading a whole lot, that much is clear.

you also are oblivious to what google does. guess where the data is
backed up. google's servers. and it's a lot harder to disable than
icloud. and google's entire business model is tracking what you do.

nospam

May 18, 2014, 12:41:16 PM5/18/14
In article <ll9t12$tf1$1...@dont-email.me>, Peter K�hlmann
<peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote:

> > Developers update their apps. When the update requires a new OS version,
> > the old version is no longer available.
>
> And that is apples fault, not the one of the developers
> Apple decides the rules of the app store

absolutely wrong. developers write their apps however they want and
support whatever versions of the os that they want.

older versions of apps are made available to those with older devices
unless the developer decides that an older version will not work with
their servers.

nospam

May 18, 2014, 12:41:17 PM5/18/14
In article <ll9t6f$tf1$2...@dont-email.me>, Peter K�hlmann
<peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote:

> >> By buying 100% into the Apple way of doing things. You clearly don't
> >> want to do that (neither do I) so just get rid of your iStuff and be
> >> happy. What's the point of complaining? Apple doesn't care.
> >
> > more bullshit.
>
> No, it is exactly to the point.
> Apple routinely breaks applications even in OSX.

no they don't.

i have apps running on my mac that are over 10 years old without any
problem whatsoever.

> And don't tell me that I don't know that stuff. I own a Mac because I write
> programs for it. It is a developers nightmare. Shitty beyond belief.

complete nonsense. cocoa is an extremely capable framework and writing
apps with it is much easier than on other platforms.

> If some customers would not want OSX versions of my programs, I would remove
> OSX from that thingy and run only linux on it

in other words, all you're doing is getting it to build on os x, not
writing a mac native app. it's a port, and likely a half-assed job too.

so what programs are they? let's take a look.

TJ

May 18, 2014, 12:48:52 PM5/18/14
A little over 42 years ago, at the request of Richard Nixon, I donned
odd-looking green clothes and began to learn The Way of Things. I
learned quickly that there were then three ways of doing anything - The
Right Way, The Wrong Way, and The Army Way. There were dire consequences
of using other than The Army Way, whether it made sense according to the
task at hand, or not.

Easy to see from this thread that that philosophy is still alive and
well at Apple.

TJ

Marek Novotny

May 18, 2014, 12:57:41 PM5/18/14
On 2014-05-18, TJ <T...@noneofyour.business> wrote:

> Wow. More and more, I'm grateful I don't "own" any Apple devices.
> ("Own," in the same sense that one "owns" a Windows OS." Apparently, one
> only licenses the right to use them.) The more I read, the more I
> believe Apple is even more evilly insidious than Microsoft.

Like I always say. With Apple, you're just along for the ride. They tel
you when it is time to pay the toll again and again. They got a good
thing going for themselves.

--
Marek Novotny
A member of the Linux Foundation

Charles

May 18, 2014, 1:04:05 PM5/18/14
In article <170520142147188584%nos...@nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> you won't be happy if you lose data because of a lack of backup.

Don't be so sure about that. He sounds like he is a moron.

--
Charles

Peter Köhlmann

May 18, 2014, 1:13:06 PM5/18/14
Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2014-05-18, Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote:
>> nospam wrote:

>>> more bullshit.
>>
>> No, it is exactly to the point.
>> Apple routinely breaks applications even in OSX.
>> And don't tell me that I don't know that stuff. I own a Mac because I
>> write programs for it. It is a developers nightmare. Shitty beyond
>> belief. If some customers would not want OSX versions of my programs, I
>> would remove OSX from that thingy and run only linux on it
>
> You say this, yet I doubt you have the balls to tell us which piece of
> Mac software you're supposedly in charge of developing so we can judge
> your abilities for ourselves.

You will never get to see that. All you would perhaps see is the
questionaires to the psychological tests which are evaluated by that
software.

Jonathan N. Little

May 18, 2014, 1:27:04 PM5/18/14
nospam wrote:
> apple doesn't make any money if you use windows or even mac os either.
> itunes is free.
>
> they do make money on the sale of the ipad itself, just like any other
> company would with whatever hardware they make.
>
> beyond that, there is no obligation to buy anything from apple. there
> are plenty of third party accessories, for instance.

$12.9 billion in fiscal 2012 "not making any money"? I'd like to *not*
make monkey like that.

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 1:30:18 PM5/18/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:47:18 -0400, nospam wrote:

> what other apps do you use? they all have data.

Being an old man, I have lost data as many times as anyone else here.

This iPad was a gift, and, as such, is merely a toy, to me.
So, I can't imagine what 'data' is on it that I'll ever care about.

To put the iPad into perspective, the people who gave it to me said
the iPad would "change my life" but, all I see, so far, is that it
complicates most things because it's so non standard and non intuitive.

Just trying to insert a character between characters or trying to
move an icon to a different screen or to kill a running task or
to delete an icon or to have more than one icon or to mail a
picture normally instead of ass-backwards, etc., is so crazily
non-standard and non-intuitive that you have to be *told* how
to do it.

I do realize the Apple people love to "discover" these little
Easter Eggs all over the place - but - I like things to be easily
intuitive instead of oh-my-god-that's-how-you-do-it? intuitive.

To Apple's credit, once you're finally told how to do things, those
things are forever simple to perform in the future - but the whole
point is that the iPad is actually *hard* to figure out because you
have to be told how to use everything - whereas - in most other
platforms, there is an inherent built-in logic to these actions.

Worse yet, other than being a fantastically small travel computer,
I can't imagine doing anything *serious* on a dinky iPad. It's
miserable to get anything onto or off of it for one thing, but,
more so, it doesn't come with a keyboard so you have to bring one
along in order to make it anything more than a stone-age finger
tapping tool.

I wouldn't dream of doing a serious spreadsheet on the thing, nor
any serious writing. You can't possibly control the cursor without
an additional mouse for photo editing, and the amount and capabilities
of the apps is so far below minimum expectations on other platforms
as to make the thing merely a toy.

Now, to Apple's credit, it's a very small, light, and pretty toy,
but, it's a toy nonetheless. Hence, any data on it isn't of serious
value except perhaps photos & videos taken of the wife & kids (which,
I might add, are miserable to back up on this iPad simply because
it wont' connect nicely to Linux which is my main platform).

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 1:34:58 PM5/18/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:47:22 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> I did move an artificial zip file over, using a wifi app, but the goal is
>> to move the files over the wire, not over the wifi.
>
> what's an artificial zip?

I'm sorry for calling it an 'artificial zip' file.

What I meant was that, while I could move over a single picture, there was
no way to check multiple pictures without them automatically being zipped
up into a zip archive.

Then the program moved this unwanted unnecessary unneeded zip file over
and then I had to unzip it to recover the multiple pictures.

I called that an "artificial zip file" but in reality it was an unnecessarily
complex process, as all these simple tasks seem to become.

I mean, on Android, I plug it in, I select the files, and I move them over.
Why can't iOS be as simple?

NOTE: On Android, it is simple in Ubuntu but not in Redhat, so, I'm not
saying Linux is better than iOS. I'm just saying that Apple makes things
so hard for no good reason that even we can't come up with a simple process,
and this newsgroup is widely known to be a large team of iOS/Linux experts!

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 1:45:35 PM5/18/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 21:47:20 -0400, nospam wrote:

> what you should do is boot to windows and run itunes.
> stop fighting the system.

For most users that's probably good advice, even though iTunes is nothing
but a shell storefront for all sorts of stuff I'll never need, want, nor buy.

In fact, it's kind of the key takeaway I get out of how to deal with iOS.
It's more of a do-it-the-apple-way or give up.

Using this new-to-me Apple iPad has been like a torture experience, where
they eventually will break you and force you, like they did Winston, in
1984, to think and act exactly like they want you to think and act.

If only I hadn't been miserably treated by iTunes in the past, that
(otherwise sound) recommendation to install it on Windows wouldn't be
so hard to hear.

But iTunes has deleted more songs (many thousands!) than I care to count,
on numerous iPods over the past years (no so much recently because I had
learned never to install iTunes except to initialize an iPod and then
delete it as soon as possible thereafter).

Also, the bloatware that comes with iTunes is horrendous, and the
bloatware follows no rules, e.g., it installs where it wants, even if
you told iTunes to install elsewhere.

However, all that having been said, your advice is still probably
correct. There is no other way than the Apple way sometimes.

To that end, I might consider going the extreme effort to install iTunes
without the horrendous bloatware, as described here:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-unofficial-guide-to-installing-itunes-10-without-bloatware/2390
http://lifehacker.com/5635089/install-itunes-10-without-the-extra-bloatware
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28727/how-to-install-itunes-without-extra-bloat/
etc.

But, seriously, why does Apple make such simple things so darn complicated?

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 1:50:14 PM5/18/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:41:12 -0400, nospam wrote:

> what matters is the resolution and quality of the display
> and the quality of the video.

I must agree on this point with nospam, who is probably one of the
most astute here on this ng, out of many people in the world.

The whole reason I'm trying to copy large video files from Linux
to the iPad is that the iPad is convenient (e.g., to use on an
airplane) and the display is as good or better than my laptop.

My main problem now is that the suggested Linux commands failed
me, so, I might have to take the problem over to the Ubuntu forums.

For example, I still don't know how to install the deb file since
it unpacked into a DEBIAN and usr directory in my home directory.

Where am I supposed to *put* these directorie anyway?

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 1:53:44 PM5/18/14
On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:25:24 -0400, nospam wrote:

> or just stream from the cloud. why bother copying at all.

While I also use micro-sd cards all the time to transfer between
Android and Linux, I do agree that many people don't.

They probably are afraid of the file structure (admittedly
complex on all platforms, including Android, Linux, & iOS).

But, as nospam deserves an answer, the net isn't where I want
to move my personal or large files, for the obvious reasons
that I don't want *anything* on the net, and, large files are
slow to move on the net.

Sure, I can background the task, and come back in the morning,
but, really, the cloud is useless for me simply because it is
a neighborhood that I never want my kids pictures to be in.

Saying back-up-to-the-cloud is like telling me to park my
car in the middle of the inner city. Sure, it works. But,
it's not where I want my data to be. Ever.

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 1:55:07 PM5/18/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 05:06:23 +0000, Jolly Roger wrote:

> For you, maybe. The rest of us find synchronizing data from my
> iPhone/iPad to my computer to be quite easy.

This thread is about moving large files from Linux to iOS.

It's not really about syncronizing files, unless that's the *only*
possible way to move a large file from Linux to the iPad.

Wildman

May 18, 2014, 2:02:29 PM5/18/14
Normally a .deb is not unpacked manually. It is an installation
package to be installed using a package manager. In most Debian
based Linux distros the default package manager is apt. However,
I have no idea what package manager iOS has, if any.

--
<Wildman> GNU/Linux user #557453
The cow died so I don't need your bull!

Marek Novotny

May 18, 2014, 2:04:12 PM5/18/14
On 2014-05-18, Jonathan N. Little <lws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>> apple doesn't make any money if you use windows or even mac os either.
>> itunes is free.
>>
>> they do make money on the sale of the ipad itself, just like any other
>> company would with whatever hardware they make.
>>
>> beyond that, there is no obligation to buy anything from apple. there
>> are plenty of third party accessories, for instance.
>
> $12.9 billion in fiscal 2012 "not making any money"? I'd like to *not*
> make monkey like that.

They made much more than that in fiscal 2012.

Net Sales were $156 billion in 2012 and net income at that time was $41
billion.

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 2:06:31 PM5/18/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:41:08 -0400, nospam wrote:

>> screwed up an iPod as well.
> no it didn't.
>
> you told it to do whatever it was it did. at no point will itunes erase
> or alter the contents of an ipod, iphone or ipad without the user
> confirming it.

Hi nospam,
You weren't responding to me, but, as an owner of iPods, iTunes
certainly did (numerous times) destroy *all* my songs on a variety
of iPods without ever asking for any confirmation whatsoever.

Even to this day, I don't know all the details, but I certainly
am painfully aware of the results, which were wholly empty iPods.

As I remember it, before I deleted all vestiges of iTunes in angry
disgust, I kept nothing but a set of token MP3 songs on the PC.

All my songs were on the iPods, which I had updated (using Sharepod)
with as many songs from as many sources as I had wanted. With
SharePod freeware, you can hook an iPod to any Windows computer
and manage any song in any way you like.

Assuming iTunes worked that way also (yes, I realize this is a
fatal mistake), I plugged in an iPod, and wham! When it was
unplugged, it had a measly set of those token songs that were
on the PC in the first place. Thousands upon thousands of songs
were mercilessly deleted by Apple. Without so much as a single
request of "are you sure you want to destroy your iPod?".

PS: Had there been that request, I certainly would not have
said yes!

Anyway, as I recall (this was years ago), furious googling
brought me a technique to set up the iTunes to NOT SYNCRONIZ
(synchronization being the evil of all evils in my situation),
yet, as I remember it, iTunes still, from time to time,
wiped out all my songs.

I don't really remember the details, but I do remember that
it took me a while to get rid of all the vestiges of iTunes
off numerous computers, since the bloatware is far ranging
from Bonjour, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software
Update, Quicktime crap, Apple Application Support, etc,,
most or all of which *remained* when you thought you had
finally gotten rid of that horrid iTunes deleteware program!

Sorry to be so livid, but, the whole thought of what iTunes
did to me, without asking, is so very disturbing to relive,
that I may have inadvertently slipped some emotion into this
post - so please just understand that I think the same thing
of iTunes as I do of CIA interrogation torture methods.

I apologize in advance if I've been too emotional.

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 2:10:23 PM5/18/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 15:58:52 +0000, Erilar wrote:

> If they can't wean themselves from the others, why buy ANY
> Apple products, such as an iPad?

I, as the OP, for one, own a dual boot Linux/Windows laptop, because
that is the most functional platform available today for the home user.

I own multiple Android phones, simply because they contain the
most power and usability for the buck, available today for the home
user.

And, I own an iOS iPad, only because it was a gift.

Had I recieved, as a gift, an Android tablet, I would have asked the
same question.

All I want to do is transfer large video MKV, AVI, MP4, etc. (container)
files from the PC to the iPad.

The task should be simpler than it currently appears to be.

I hope that someone here has figured it out, as I'm stuck wondering
what to do with the extracted Debian folders (~/DEBIAN & ~/usr).

Liam O'Connor

May 18, 2014, 2:13:24 PM5/18/14
On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:41:10 -0400, nospam wrote:

> apple sued samsung because samsung blatantly stole apple intellectual
> property and not only did the courts agree, but samsung themselves
> admitted they did. they just thought that the punishment was too high.

I must agree with nospam that Android & Samsung both appear to have
copied a LOT of the Apple intellectual IP. Whether or not Apple prior
copied that IP from elsewhere, I don't know (as had happened with the
mouse and other items decades ago, I believe).

But, even so, with or without copying, the question remains germane:

QUESTION:
How do we transfer a video file one way from Ubuntu to iOS via USB cable?

Marek Novotny

May 18, 2014, 2:19:09 PM5/18/14

John Hasler

May 18, 2014, 2:14:47 PM5/18/14
Liam O'Connor writes:
> I can't imagine doing anything *serious* on a dinky iPad.

Doing *serious* stuff isn't cool.
--
John Hasler
jha...@newsguy.com

Marek Novotny

May 18, 2014, 2:23:21 PM5/18/14
On 2014-05-18, Marek Novotny <marek....@hushmail.com> wrote:
> On 2014-05-18, Liam O'Connor <liamo...@example.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 May 2014 12:41:10 -0400, nospam wrote:
>>
>>> apple sued samsung because samsung blatantly stole apple intellectual
>>> property and not only did the courts agree, but samsung themselves
>>> admitted they did. they just thought that the punishment was too high.
>>
>> I must agree with nospam that Android & Samsung both appear to have
>> copied a LOT of the Apple intellectual IP. Whether or not Apple prior
>> copied that IP from elsewhere, I don't know (as had happened with the
>> mouse and other items decades ago, I believe).
>>
>> But, even so, with or without copying, the question remains germane:
>>
>> QUESTION:
>> How do we transfer a video file one way from Ubuntu to iOS via USB cable?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTGqdya-SE

It's not with Ubuntu though. You're dealing with Apple's walled garden,
so I have no idea how to attach it to Ubuntu for the purpose of video
uploads. You can however do it with iTunes. Sorry you got stuck with the
iPad. You could always sell it and get a real tablet, though I am not
sure what the state of using an MKV on Android is either.

It's not what you asked, but sometimes there is no good answer. I want
to fly without an airplane, and I keep asking and no one can help me. Go
figure.
It is loading more messages.