Have you been able to get NewPipe freeware running yet on Windows?

arlen michael holder

Nov 18, 2018, 10:19:12 PM11/18/18
*Have you been able to get NewPipe running yet on Windows?*
*How did you get past that final stumbling block?*

It almost works.
How to run Android F-Droid New Pipe YouTube replacement on Windows
o No ads
o No login
o No tracking
o Download & rip as desired
o etc.
NewPipe website: https://newpipe.schabi.org/
NewPipe at F-Droid: https://f-droid.org/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/
o Install a free Android tablet emulator (current version is 47.0.1096)
For this experiment, I chose Andyroid (but there are about a dozen overall).
<https://www.andyroid.net/>
o Installing the emulator on Windows is just a doubleclick on this file:
<https://andydownload.azureedge.net/downloads/installer/v47/Andy_47.260_1096_26_x64.exe>
o This puts a "Start Andy" shortcut on your desktop, whose target is:
C:\Program Files\Andy\Andy.exe
o There is also a desktop "Andy Launcher", which I'm not sure is needed:
C:\Program Files\Andy\AndyLauncher.exe
o Doubleclick the "Start Andy" shortcut & up pops Android 7.1 Nougat!
o Notice you instantl gain the Android Google Play app running on Windows!
o Test that Android emulator on Windows by installing & running any app!
o My grandkids were around, so we installed & tested CandyCrush first.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1490353newpipe01.jpg>
o Once you're assured apps work, now it's time to get NewPipe...
o On that tablet, in a browser, point a browser to the F-Droid site:
https://f-droid.org
o Download the F-Droid app (note there is no need to allow 3rd-party apps)
o On that Android tablet, using Amaze, navigate to the Downloads folder
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9110988newpipe02.jpg>
o Doubleclick on the F-Droid APK in Downloads to install F-Droid
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1957777newpipe03.jpg>
o The first time F-Droid runs, let it update its repositories over the net
o The APK package we want to download & install on Windows is NewPipe
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.schabi.newpipe/>
(The current version is 0.14.2)
o Search F-Droid for "NewPipe" and install it on the emulator
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5497324newpipe04.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6421796newpipe05.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5857404newpipe06.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4658751newpipe07.jpg>
o Run the latest open-source NewPipe app on Windows
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4474915newpipe08.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2542351newpipe09.jpg>
o I arbitrarily ran a search for the "Alice Xu" Android clock tutorial
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7476692newpipe10.jpg>
o I could hit "Play All", but I chose just the first tutorial & hit Play
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6446746newpipe11.jpg>
o Drat. It crashed. Sigh.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7406692newpipe12.jpg>
I'll try a different emulator on Windows.
The question here is to ask if experts have been successful,
since NewPipe is, arguably, one of the best examples of
useful free open source useful apps in existance.

*Have you been able to get NewPipe running yet on Windows?*
*How did you get past that final stumbling block?*

arlen michael holder

Nov 19, 2018, 4:08:07 PM11/19/18
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 03:19:12 -0000 (UTC), arlen michael holder wrote:

> *Have you been able to get NewPipe running yet on Windows?*
> *How did you get past that final stumbling block?*

SOLVED! (I almost never fail!)

Woo hoo!
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2045582bluestacks4-01.jpg>

*This is something extremely few people can do until today!*
The simplicity and power is fantastic!

NewPipe ran perfectly inside a different freeware emulator!
Bluestacks4 Android 7.1.1 emulation freeware on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/JBRjZ39w4Ok>

This is the holy grail for a YouTube interface!
(Basically it's far MORE than YouTube Red on steroids, for free!)
<https://newpipe.schabi.org/>

(It's even a boon for those who want a simple GUI for YouTube-dl.exe!)

Finally, Windows has a free YouTube clone that is so much better than
anything you've ever seen in your life for such things, that it isn't
funny!

Literally, you get working Android-app shortcuts on your Windows desktop!
[You can't get better integrated than that!]

For example, the "Chrome" desktop shortcut has a Target of:
"C:\Program Files\BlueStacks\HD-RunApp.exe" -json "{\"app_icon_url\": \"\",
\"app_name\": \"Chrome\", \"app_url\": \"\", \"app_pkg\":
\"com.android.chrome\"}"