clear vs. colored case

micky

Aug 26, 2017, 2:07:31 AM8/26/17
I'm narrowing in on a phone, so I have to narrow in on a case.

If I get a pretty phone, a clear case should show off its color and an
opaque case would prevent anyone from seeing how pretty it is. (I care
about stuff like this.)

But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.

Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?

VanguardLH

Aug 26, 2017, 2:48:53 AM8/26/17
Okay, I'll bite. Why do you need a case, especially if you don't want
to hide the phone? What is the case going to give you?

I have a case but use it because it mates with a matching holster half
of the case. That is, it's a belt holster case: clip holster half on my
belt, slide phone in and out of holster. I have another case (no longer
used) that is silicone. It protected the phone against drops. I also
have a holster case with a magnetic flap that the phone rides inside.

A hard case won't protect your phone. A clear hard case makes no sense
since it affords no impact protection and, yes, shows off the phone but
then the phone would be shown off if you didn't use any case.

nospam

Aug 26, 2017, 3:14:56 AM8/26/17
In article <17uzlza0u3nbe$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> A hard case won't protect your phone.

yes it will, particularly the rugged ones, such as otterbox. some are
even waterproof.

> A clear hard case makes no sense
> since it affords no impact protection

yes it does. they're just clear instead of black or some other colour.

> and, yes, shows off the phone but
> then the phone would be shown off if you didn't use any case.

up until it's damaged or scratched.

John B.

Aug 26, 2017, 3:16:00 AM8/26/17
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 02:07:30 -0400, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:
I recently bought my wife a new Samsung phone and as part of the
promotion package it came with a screen protector - film to keep the
screen from getting scratched and a clear plastic "cover" that could
be stretched over the back of the phone to protect the case finish.

She has only had the phone for a couple of months but so far it looks
o.k. The two will probably cost a fiver to renew when she gets tired
of it :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

VanguardLH

Aug 26, 2017, 4:06:43 AM8/26/17
nospam wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> A hard case won't protect your phone.
>
> yes it will, particularly the rugged ones, such as otterbox. some are
> even waterproof.

Lay a plate of metal on your hand. I'll smack the metal plate with a
hammer. Gee, you didn't feel a think. Uh huh, as you grimace and tear
up trying not to show the pain.

Adrian Caspersz

Aug 26, 2017, 4:35:32 AM8/26/17
Just get something that protects the edge, as that's the weak point for
the screen if struck. Other screen protectors and extra ruggedness are
unnecessary, but a rubber coating gives useful grip if you have
naturally dry hands. The cases do get dirty after a while, so I buy
cheap from a dollar shop. For me my phone is a tool, not a bling statement.

--
Adrian C

nospam

Aug 26, 2017, 4:43:29 AM8/26/17
In article <1962vs4zd3yb8$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH>
you don't understand physics and phones don't feel pain.

but if hammering is what you want, watch this video:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOprLX9Btco>
skip the fluff for the actual hammering:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOprLX9Btco&t=61>

i've seen that demo live. it's real. it's not a magic trick. they even
get attendees to smash the hell out of the phones. kids jump at the
chance.

here are some rugged cases which meet military drop test specs. they're
bulky (and ugly), but they offer outstanding protection:
<https://www.caseologycases.com/pages/military-grade>
<https://urbanarmorgear.com/collections/all>
<https://www.lifeproof.com>

hard cases absolutely do protect phones (and tablets). even cheap cases
help, although obviously not as well as the cases designed to withstand
abuse.

Wade Garrett

Aug 26, 2017, 8:28:48 AM8/26/17
You're not supposed to say "colored" any more. The Political Correctness
Police may be paying you a visit soon ;-)

--
If iPhone is the first word in the sentence, do you capitalize the "i"?

VanguardLH

Aug 26, 2017, 1:16:09 PM8/26/17
nospam wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> A hard case won't protect your phone.
>>
>>> yes it will, particularly the rugged ones, such as otterbox. some are
>>> even waterproof.
>>
>> Lay a plate of metal on your hand. I'll smack the metal plate with a
>> hammer. Gee, you didn't feel a think. Uh huh, as you grimace and tear
>> up trying not to show the pain.
>
> you don't understand physics and phones don't feel pain.

Sorry, you're the one that doesn't understand physical shock. Yep, the
phone doesn't feel pain. It does feel shock. It's your brain that
intrepets shock to your body as pain. With drugs, you won't feel the
pain, just like your phone, but you and the phone will still be damaged.

> but if hammering is what you want, watch this video:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOprLX9Btco>

And since when did a *screen protector* become a /case/? Reread the
OP's post. He didn't ask about a screen protector. He asked about a
CASE!

> skip the fluff for the actual hammering:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOprLX9Btco&t=61>

Yeah, again, that's a screen protector, not a case. I've ordered a set
of 5 and one is on my phone. It takes the scratches. There are a
couple on it now so if it gets worse then I'll peel it off and put on
another. But it's still not a CASE. That layer atop the screen does
NOTHING to protect the phone against shock from falls.

Do you have shocker absorbers in your car or did you replace them with
pipes? Your car doesn't feel pain, either, but shock absorbers help
your car from getting banged apart.

However, there is a problem with those screen protectors. They reduce
touch sensitivity. After adding the screen protector, touches are
tougher (take longer or require more accuracy). Also, dragging can
sometimes get screwed up. I try to drag an app icon to somewhere else
on the screen and the icon just shakes in its original position and when
I let go (stop dragging) the icon goes somewhere other than what I last
pointed to. Still it is good protection so I'll continue using it.

Oh, and to your example of an otterbox, that is NOT a hard case. Duh!
That's why it affords some shock protection. It is soft silicone
(rubber liner) with a hard shell AROUND the silicone. That is a SOFT
case. I have one of those (but not that brand). I did not say no case
would afford impact protection. I said a HARD case would afford no
protection. Even Otterbox knows that. You don't.

> here are some rugged cases which meet military drop test specs. they're
> bulky (and ugly), but they offer outstanding protection:
> <https://www.caseologycases.com/pages/military-grade>

Yeah, another example of a case you don't bother to investigate to see
it is also a silicone surround with optional shell.

> <https://urbanarmorgear.com/collections/all>
> <https://www.lifeproof.com>
>
> hard cases absolutely do protect phones (and tablets). even cheap cases
> help, although obviously not as well as the cases designed to withstand
> abuse.

All those cases you exemplified use SOFT silicone to absorb shock. The
screen protector is a separate issue the OP never inquired about. The
OP did mention "rubbery case" which likely means a SOFT case; i.e., it
uses silicone (at the corners, around all sides, or around all sides and
back) to absorb shock. That is NOT a hard case.

nospam

Aug 26, 2017, 3:07:18 PM8/26/17
In article <ri2nbvjt...@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> >> A hard case won't protect your phone.

> >> Lay a plate of metal on your hand. I'll smack the metal plate with a
> >> hammer. Gee, you didn't feel a think. Uh huh, as you grimace and tear
> >> up trying not to show the pain.
> >
> > you don't understand physics and phones don't feel pain.
>
> Sorry, you're the one that doesn't understand physical shock. Yep, the
> phone doesn't feel pain. It does feel shock. It's your brain that
> intrepets shock to your body as pain. With drugs, you won't feel the
> pain, just like your phone, but you and the phone will still be damaged.

a phone in a hard case will *not* be damaged, even if dropped off the
side of a building.

iphone 6 dropped off a 3 story building:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUzILt09KE&t=123>

a soft case also offers protection, just not as much. it will help for
falling off the table or out of one's hand, but not off the side of a
building.

> > but if hammering is what you want, watch this video:
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOprLX9Btco>
>
> And since when did a *screen protector* become a /case/? Reread the
> OP's post. He didn't ask about a screen protector. He asked about a
> CASE!

i never said it was a case.

*you* came up with the bizarro idea to hit a metal plate with a hammer
as some sort of 'test'. that's not a case either.

what the above video shows is that even just a screen protector absorbs
the force of the impact, thereby protecting the screen from shattering.

with a protective case, the rest of the phone will be protected from
drops, falls and other impacts, not just the screen.

> However, there is a problem with those screen protectors. They reduce
> touch sensitivity. After adding the screen protector, touches are
> tougher (take longer or require more accuracy). Also, dragging can
> sometimes get screwed up. I try to drag an app icon to somewhere else
> on the screen and the icon just shakes in its original position and when
> I let go (stop dragging) the icon goes somewhere other than what I last
> pointed to. Still it is good protection so I'll continue using it.

there is no problem whatsoever with quality screen protectors.

whatever ones you've used must be crap quality.

> Oh, and to your example of an otterbox, that is NOT a hard case. Duh!
> That's why it affords some shock protection. It is soft silicone
> (rubber liner) with a hard shell AROUND the silicone. That is a SOFT
> case. I have one of those (but not that brand). I did not say no case
> would afford impact protection. I said a HARD case would afford no
> protection. Even Otterbox knows that. You don't.

nonsense.

otterbox are hard cases and not all of them have a silicone shell
either.

not only does otterbox know that their cases protect phones, but they
brag about how well they're protected, including customer testimonials:

<http://www.otterbox.com/en-us/cdp-testimonials.html#testimonials>
In my field of work I need a tough case to get the job done and it
definitely did! Up 2 1/2 stories my phone fell from my pocket face
first to concrete figuring it was smashed I went to grab it and to my
surprise not even a scratch thanks to my OtterBox!
...My phone flew off the ride, 200ft in the air going at least 75mph!
I was super bummed out that my phone was gone and immediately thought
it was destroyed...A few days ago Six Flags contacted me telling me
they found my phone and would be shipping it to me...When received my
phone I was expecting to find it dead with a cracked screen...nope!
The phone was still as good as new. A few dings on the otter box but
the phone itself didn't even have a scratch on it.

i've used otterboxes (you clearly haven't) and they work exceptionally
well in protecting a phone. the downside is that they're bulky and
ugly.

some of them have a silicone layer on the *outside* because it's more
comfortable to hold, while others have it on the inside to avoid
scratching the phone and some don't have any silicone layer at all.
i've used all three (you haven't).

> > here are some rugged cases which meet military drop test specs. they're
> > bulky (and ugly), but they offer outstanding protection:
> > <https://www.caseologycases.com/pages/military-grade>
>
> Yeah, another example of a case you don't bother to investigate to see
> it is also a silicone surround with optional shell.

that doesn't change anything.

the case protects the phone. end of story.

> > <https://urbanarmorgear.com/collections/all>
> > <https://www.lifeproof.com>
> >
> > hard cases absolutely do protect phones (and tablets). even cheap cases
> > help, although obviously not as well as the cases designed to withstand
> > abuse.
>
> All those cases you exemplified use SOFT silicone to absorb shock.

no they don't.

the hard shell is what absorbs the shock.

the silicone shell, if it's there (it isn't always) is for comfort in
the hand or to not scratch the phone, depending whether it's on the
outside or inside of the hard case.

> The
> screen protector is a separate issue the OP never inquired about. The
> OP did mention "rubbery case" which likely means a SOFT case; i.e., it
> uses silicone (at the corners, around all sides, or around all sides and
> back) to absorb shock. That is NOT a hard case.

nobody said a silicone case was a hard case.

you said;
> >> A hard case won't protect your phone.

that's absolutely false.

even soft cases protect phones, just not as much.

VanguardLH

Aug 26, 2017, 8:50:57 PM8/26/17
nospam wrote:

> a phone in a hard case will *not* be damaged, even if dropped off the
> side of a building.
>
> iphone 6 dropped off a 3 story building:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUzILt09KE&t=123>

Yeah, real comprehensive test ... not! Did the author drop the same
phone without the case? Nope. He also tested with the iphone 6, not
the larger, thinner, 40% heavier, and more fragile iphone 6 plus.

The test of a hard case's protection is only valid if the phone, under
the same conditions, will break without the case but does not break with
the case. Got one of those Youtube videos?

Also be sure to find a video where the author actually tests all
functionality still works for the phone after the drop test. Also check
that no part of the screen fails to render every character and graphic;
i.e., check for spot damage. A cracked screen is not the only defect
that prevents using a phone. The test must also check the phone hits
flat on its face, flat on its back, square on each side, and on each
corner. Some random drop from a non-measured height that hits a random
part of the phone at a random angle is just some guy trying to waste his
phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOcRPl5ak98

That's a little better testing. After testing with the bare phones, he
would have to test with your *hard* case (no silicone or any other
cushioning, just hard plastic) to see how another set of phones fared
(so as not to compound damages from prior testing on the same phone).
Then he would have to repeat the testing with another set of new phones
using silicone cushioned cases. And, lastly, to match your 3-story crap
test video, this author would need to extend his machine to a 39-foot
height. To do that and ensure that the phone lands on the side intended
to undergo the test probably requires a vacuum tube for the fall so the
phone doesn't float on air, or guides used to keep the phone rigidly
oriented during the entire fall.

> a soft case also offers protection, just not as much. it will help for
> falling off the table or out of one's hand, but not off the side of a
> building.

A soft-only case affords shock protection. A hard case only offers
deflection protection. While the phone is less likely to bend, you'll
need a super-pricey titanium case to avoid bending the phone; i.e., the
case is much stronger than the case and is difficult to bend so the
phone inside won't bend, too. Use a hybrid case: silicone liner all
around sides and back and a stiff or hard shell. Despite using a screen
protector, the silicone should extend beyond the level of the screen.

Be aware that decent armor cases will be thick. The silicone is thick
and there is hard full or partial shell use to absorb deflection and
also to keep the silicone from popping off the phone. I cannot put my
phone in my leather holster for the belt or into the standing charge
stand. But that's the same with many of these armor cases, even the
Otterbox.

Since you like amateurish testing, here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfy3sGdeW98

That shows the all-soft "body glove" cover (timemark 7:44) fared better
than the other soft and hybrid cases. None of these cases - soft, hard,
or hybrid - obviates the need for a screen protector.

> *you* came up with the bizarro idea to hit a metal plate with a hammer
> as some sort of 'test'. that's not a case either.

More proof you know know physics. Impact is absorbed by silicone, not
by hard plastic or metal.

> there is no problem whatsoever with quality screen protectors.

Do you know how phone touchscreens work?

(Everyone else: Shhh, don't hint at resistive versus capacitive. Shh,
don't hint at how capacitance works and the effect of thickening of an
insulator.)

> the hard shell is what absorbs the shock.

The hard shell is what transfers the shock.

micky

Aug 26, 2017, 10:26:37 PM8/26/17
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 01:48:52 -0500, VanguardLH
<V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I'm narrowing in on a phone, so I have to narrow in on a case.
>>
>> If I get a pretty phone, a clear case should show off its color and an
>> opaque case would prevent anyone from seeing how pretty it is. (I care
>> about stuff like this.)
>>
>> But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
>> be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
>> look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
>> case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.
>>
>> Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
>
>Okay, I'll bite. Why do you need a case, especially if you don't want
>to hide the phone? What is the case going to give you?

Protection. It's more important to protect the phone than to see the
case. But if I can do both, that would be best of all.

>I have a case but use it because it mates with a matching holster half
>of the case. That is, it's a belt holster case: clip holster half on my
>belt, slide phone in and out of holster. I have another case (no longer
>used) that is silicone. It protected the phone against drops. I also
>have a holster case with a magnetic flap that the phone rides inside.
>
>A hard case won't protect your phone. A clear hard case makes no sense

I used the word rubbery. I dont' have the url in front of me (and it
would vary depending on the phone) but it's not a hard case.

There is no doubt a rubbery case is protective. I spent a lot of time
reading about shock absorbing dashboards when they first came out. I
didn't believe they worked at first, but I learned that if they are too
hard (like steel) they don't work, and if they are too soft so that they
collapse until you hit something steel anyhow, they don't work. But if
they collapse gradually, the force exerted on the body that is hitting
them is spread out over time and much less. That's why padded dashboards
are made like they are. The rubber cases retract gradually when you hit
them, even it takes less than a second. I dont' know how to calculate
the greatest force applied but the deceleration is the intergral of the
deceleration curve, and the force applied is the inverse of the
deceleration.

>since it affords no impact protection and, yes, shows off the phone but
>then the phone would be shown off if you didn't use any case.

In my last trip I was running around most of the day 75 days out of 80
and in that time, I dropped my phone only once, and my camera only once.
The camera is fine, but the screen on the phone is broken. That doesn't
interfere yet with the operation of the phone, but it was a good excuse
for Blu and other makers to refuse to repair the critical thing that is
wrong with it. And I'm afraid that if I take the screen protector off,
the broken screen will get a lot worse.

I didn't notice the screen was broken until a month or more after I
dropped it,but I think if the phone hadn't had it's rubbery case, I
would have done a lot more damage.

BTW, a couple people brought up screen protectors. I'm not asking about
them. They're all transparent, for one thing. (I have a friend in the
CIA and he got himself a black screen protector so his KGB girlfriend
couldn't tell what he was doing. But he couldn't get the phone to work
anymore.)

micky

Aug 26, 2017, 10:31:01 PM8/26/17
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 14:15:57 +0700, John B.
<sloc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 02:07:30 -0400, micky <NONONO...@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I'm narrowing in on a phone, so I have to narrow in on a case.
>>
>>If I get a pretty phone, a clear case should show off its color and an
>>opaque case would prevent anyone from seeing how pretty it is. (I care
>>about stuff like this.)
>>
>>But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
>>be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
>>look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
>>case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.
>>

>>Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
>>
>I recently bought my wife a new Samsung phone and as part of the
>promotion package it came with a screen protector - film to keep the
>screen from getting scratched

I'm not worried about that. They are all transparent and they are sold
separately.

>and a clear plastic "cover" that could
>be stretched over the back of the phone to protect the case finish.

And it's clear enough to see the color.

>She has only had the phone for a couple of months but so far it looks
>o.k.

Does she carry it in a purse with things that could scratch it?

BTW, I know it's possible that different clear covers are made from
different compounds and might work much differently, but I'm still very
interested.

micky

Aug 26, 2017, 10:33:10 PM8/26/17
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 09:35:29 +0100, Adrian
Caspersz <em...@here.invalid> wrote:

>On 26/08/17 07:07, micky wrote:
>> I'm narrowing in on a phone, so I have to narrow in on a case.
>>
>> If I get a pretty phone, a clear case should show off its color and an
>> opaque case would prevent anyone from seeing how pretty it is. (I care
>> about stuff like this.)
>>
>> But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
>> be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
>> look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
>> case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.
>>

>> Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
>>

>Just get something that protects the edge, as that's the weak point for

I dont' think I've seen anything that protects only the edge. They all
seem to cover the whole back??

Yes, it's far more likely to land on its edge.

nospam

Aug 26, 2017, 10:57:27 PM8/26/17
In article <bnb4qcdfnsqj3opuf...@4ax.com>, micky
<NONONO...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> >Just get something that protects the edge, as that's the weak point for
>
> I dont' think I've seen anything that protects only the edge. They all
> seem to cover the whole back??

bumper cases protect the edges but leave the front and back exposed.

> Yes, it's far more likely to land on its edge.

that's why they exist, except that they don't protect as much as one
that has full coverage.

nospam

Aug 26, 2017, 11:49:08 PM8/26/17
In article <1x91o9up...@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> > a phone in a hard case will *not* be damaged, even if dropped off the
> > side of a building.
> >
> > iphone 6 dropped off a 3 story building:
> > <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUzILt09KE&t=123>
>
> Yeah, real comprehensive test ... not! Did the author drop the same
> phone without the case? Nope.

of course they didn't, because there's no point in doing the obvious.
they knew exactly what would happen.

they don't have to jump off a 3 story building either to know that they
would sustain major injuries, potentially life threatening ones.

common sense.

> He also tested with the iphone 6, not
> the larger, thinner, 40% heavier, and more fragile iphone 6 plus.

so what? not all phones are as big as a 6+.

an iphone 6 is fairly typical size for a smartphone, android or ios.

<https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Phone-Size-Compa
rison-Sep-2014.jpg>

you're also wrong about its specs.

a 6+ is actually slightly *thicker* than a 6 (0.2mm, which is not
noticeable), 33% heavier (as expected, since it's bigger) and no more
fragile.

> The test of a hard case's protection is only valid if the phone, under
> the same conditions, will break without the case but does not break with
> the case.

nonsense.

the test of a case is whether the phone (or tablet) within sustains
damage when subjected to drops, impacts, submersion or other abuse.

common sense dictates that the same abuse to an unprotected device
would cause damage.

> > *you* came up with the bizarro idea to hit a metal plate with a hammer
> > as some sort of 'test'. that's not a case either.
>
> More proof you know know physics.

correct. i do know physics.

> Impact is absorbed by silicone, not
> by hard plastic or metal.

other way around, which is why rugged cases are *not* silicone.

one of my cases is a hard plastic slider with reinforced flex joints in
the corners for impact, with the edges tapering in. if it's dropped,
the likely impact point is the corner, with the force distributed
throughout the case, not to the phone inside.

very few cases are metal, although this bulletproof one is:
<http://newatlas.com/bulletproof-iphone-case-marudai/22195/>
The armored case features an inch of solid steel embedded in the
back, which is what gives the phone cover its bulletproof ability.

it doesn't look like it will stop a bullet from the front though.

> > there is no problem whatsoever with quality screen protectors.
>
> Do you know how phone touchscreens work?

sure do.

> (Everyone else: Shhh, don't hint at resistive versus capacitive. Shh,
> don't hint at how capacitance works and the effect of thickening of an
> insulator.)

you're talking out your ass.

resistive screens are not used on smartphones anymore (and aren't
actually touch since they require pressure, usually from a stylus).

the digitizer on capacitive screens is *under* a layer of glass, so
adding a fraction of a millimeter on top doesn't make a difference.

i've been using various screen protectors for *years* without any issue
whatsoever. none. highly recommended.

if you're experiencing issues of any sort, then whatever screen
protector you bought is not of the highest quality.

i also own conductive gloves for colder weather, which also work
without issue.

> > the hard shell is what absorbs the shock.
>
> The hard shell is what transfers the shock.

not to the phone, it doesn't.

The Real Bev

Aug 27, 2017, 12:28:27 AM8/27/17
I have a slightly-rubbery/suede-like neon green (previous phone's case
was neon orange) case. Protects the back and edge should I drop it on a
hard surface (almost 2 years without doing that -- must be like carrying
a fuel pump in your trunk so you'll never need to replace the original)
and so I can find it easily. If it flashed blinky lights it would be
even easier to find, but I haven't seen a case like that and it would
probably be too expensive anyway.

Maybe $5 each from China.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.

The Real Bev

Aug 27, 2017, 12:30:14 AM8/27/17
It should be 'Cases of Color'. I'm pretty sure that you can't order an
African-American case no matter how much you're willing to pay for it.

micky

Aug 27, 2017, 12:42:50 AM8/27/17
In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 21:28:25 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 08/26/2017 01:35 AM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> On 26/08/17 07:07, micky wrote:
>>> I'm narrowing in on a phone, so I have to narrow in on a case.
>>>
>>> If I get a pretty phone, a clear case should show off its color and an
>>> opaque case would prevent anyone from seeing how pretty it is. (I care
>>> about stuff like this.)
>>>
>>> But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
>>> be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
>>> look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
>>> case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.
>>>
>>> Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
>>
>> Just get something that protects the edge, as that's the weak point for
>> the screen if struck. Other screen protectors and extra ruggedness are
>> unnecessary, but a rubber coating gives useful grip if you have
>> naturally dry hands. The cases do get dirty after a while, so I buy
>> cheap from a dollar shop. For me my phone is a tool, not a bling statement.
>
>I have a slightly-rubbery/suede-like neon green (previous phone's case
>was neon orange) case. Protects the back and edge should I drop it on a

But if it covers the back and edge, what's left except the front?

nospam

Aug 27, 2017, 12:55:29 AM8/27/17
In article <onthki$3go$2...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
> >> be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
> >> look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
> >> case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.
> >>
> >> Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
> >
> > You're not supposed to say "colored" any more. The Political Correctness
> > Police may be paying you a visit soon ;-)
>
> It should be 'Cases of Color'. I'm pretty sure that you can't order an
> African-American case no matter how much you're willing to pay for it.

you'd be wrong. do a search for african american phone case and see.

VanguardLH

Aug 27, 2017, 1:11:26 AM8/27/17
nospam wrote:

> the digitizer on capacitive screens is *under* a layer of glass, so
> adding a fraction of a millimeter on top doesn't make a difference.

Oh, here we go on another tanget. Yep, all phones use glass, sure.

Just use Google. Then go argue with all those users that it isn't the
screen protector reducing sensitivity of the touch screen. Yeah, we see
which end you talk out of. Have fun.

nospam

Aug 27, 2017, 1:37:20 AM8/27/17
In article <1au9j9ly...@v.nguard.lh>, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH>
wrote:

> > the digitizer on capacitive screens is *under* a layer of glass, so
> > adding a fraction of a millimeter on top doesn't make a difference.
>
> Oh, here we go on another tanget. Yep, all phones use glass, sure.

speaking of tangents, it doesn't matter if it's glass or plastic or
transparent aluminum.

> Just use Google. Then go argue with all those users that it isn't the
> screen protector reducing sensitivity of the touch screen. Yeah, we see
> which end you talk out of. Have fun.

they bought shitty ones. there's a lot of crap out there.

The Real Bev

Aug 27, 2017, 2:12:27 AM8/27/17
On 08/26/2017 09:42 PM, micky wrote:
> In comp.mobile.android, on Sat, 26 Aug 2017 21:28:25 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Just get something that protects the edge, as that's the weak point for
>>> the screen if struck. Other screen protectors and extra ruggedness are
>>> unnecessary, but a rubber coating gives useful grip if you have
>>> naturally dry hands. The cases do get dirty after a while, so I buy
>>> cheap from a dollar shop. For me my phone is a tool, not a bling statement.
>>
>>I have a slightly-rubbery/suede-like neon green (previous phone's case
>>was neon orange) case. Protects the back and edge should I drop it on a
>
> But if it covers the back and edge, what's left except the front?

I had a matte screen protector on it for quite a while, but I'm really
clumsy and am unable to apply one without getting ugly bubbles, so I
finally took it off. Motorola claims that it's 'Gorilla Glass' so maybe
that's good enough.

The case is mostly for visibility and traction.

--
Cheers, Bev
An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed

nospam

Aug 27, 2017, 2:29:11 AM8/27/17
In article <ontnk6$g67$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a matte screen protector on it for quite a while, but I'm really
> clumsy and am unable to apply one without getting ugly bubbles, so I
> finally took it off.

the better ones don't bubble.

VanguardLH

Aug 27, 2017, 2:32:31 AM8/27/17
micky wrote:

> In my last trip I was running around most of the day 75 days out of 80
> and in that time, I dropped my phone only once, and my camera only once.
> The camera is fine, but the screen on the phone is broken. That doesn't
> interfere yet with the operation of the phone, but it was a good excuse
> for Blu and other makers to refuse to repair the critical thing that is
> wrong with it. And I'm afraid that if I take the screen protector off,
> the broken screen will get a lot worse.

Does the screen have bleed marks or blacked out areas? If not, maybe
it's the [glass] protector that is cracked and not the screen.

Was it a tempered glass or plastic protector? Plastic is more durable
but scratches easier and aren't as clear. Glass is more fragile and
suffers more from edge-sourced damage (so be sure to get glass
protectors with rounded edges) but is more clear with less friction.
Yeah, we like clearer and smoother but glass protects less than plastic
so you have to trade off between clarity and smudges with protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUsTSk6xjjo

When I get an armored case, I make sure it has a small beveled or
rounded lip on the front that extends beyond the screen's plane. That
helps if the phone falls face down or is face down and pushed around
some surface, like a desk (although the silicone usually prevents much
accidental face-down movement). Some phones have face-down options so
users will put them in that orientation.

Despite being glass, I've not found glass protectors to be as low for
friction as the glass on the phone's own screen. I can tell it isn't as
smooth. I got a pack of 5 glass protectors rated 9H for hardness but
they still will get some scratches. However, I mostly see the faint and
tiny scratches only when the phone is angled away from a perpendicular
viewing angle for when the edges of the scratches become pronounced.
When I'm looking straight at the screen, I don't notice them.

Glass protectors are usually edge-to-edge coverage. You need to make
sure any cover has bevelled or rounded edges toward the screen so they
grab just the case and not be over the screen. Screen overlay is a
problem with the armored covers. I couldn't use an edge-to-edge glass
protector along with the armored cover. I can with the hard cover that
is not for protection but just convenience with a belt clip holster as
the other half of the cover. Plastic ones are smaller so interference
between cover and protector is usually not a problem.

> BTW, a couple people brought up screen protectors. I'm not asking about
> them. They're all transparent, for one thing. (I have a friend in the
> CIA and he got himself a black screen protector so his KGB girlfriend
> couldn't tell what he was doing. But he couldn't get the phone to work
> anymore.)

The problem that I've seen with the privacy screen protectors is a
rainbox effect. You can see a pattern after applying the protector to
the phone. Rather distracting.

Personally I'm more concerned about protecting the screen than from the
phone dropping from my hand. If I'm stupid enough to hold my phone
outside a car window while driving down a highway and drop it, forget
any cover from protecting your phone from getting run over several times
before you manage to pull over to run back to retrieve it.

If you don't put your phone in your pocket, a purse, a briefcase, or
anywhere there is nothing else except soft cloth to hold the phone then
you probably don't need a screen protector. An armored cover with
raised edges around the screen will provide good protection. Only if
you drop the phone on a non-flat surface, like a nail sticking up in a
plywood sheet, would the screen hit that surface. I suppose that could
happen if you dropped the phone face down while walking along rocky
beach while tossing the phone up in the air and missed a catch. I gave
up on the armored case and went to a hard case for convenience: it
slides into a belt-clipped holster half for the cover. The inside of
the holster (facing the phone screen) has a felt covering. Pretty hard
to get my screen scratched - except if it fell. Don't recall it ever
falling so I'm puzzled where those tiny shallow scratches came from.

While screens can be replaced, they're expensive and you'll probably pay
someone else to do it. Phones will still work when their cases get
scuffed or even dented or bent. Not as pretty but still working. How
much did you pay for that pretty smartphone? I paid $12 for a 9H
tempered glass 5-pack so that's $2.40 each for my phone. Yeah, they're
selling for $1 with free shipping but those were from China which can
incur a 1+ month shipping delay getting through customs unless they
stock a warehouse in your country. When I look for suppliers only in my
country, back to $2.40. That seems damn cheap protection. While it has
two tiny scratches mostly only noticeable at a non-perpendicular viewing
angle, I'm still on my first one after 14 months.

Protect the screen first. Then optionally add more protection.

VanguardLH

Aug 27, 2017, 2:33:22 AM8/27/17
God has spoken. Too bad for him that I'm agnostic.

micky

Aug 27, 2017, 3:56:42 AM8/27/17
In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 01:33:20 -0500, VanguardLH
LOL

Roy Smith

Aug 27, 2017, 11:04:14 AM8/27/17
On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 01:48:52 -0500, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I'm narrowing in on a phone, so I have to narrow in on a case.
>>
>> If I get a pretty phone, a clear case should show off its color and an
>> opaque case would prevent anyone from seeing how pretty it is. (I care
>> about stuff like this.)
>>
>> But I get the feelign that a clear rubbery case will get scuffed up and
>> be no longer clear after a while. While otoh, a colored case will just
>> look the same color all the time, scuffs or not . And that the clear
>> case will make the phone look less good that the colored case.
>>
>> Anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
>
>Okay, I'll bite. Why do you need a case, especially if you don't want
>to hide the phone? What is the case going to give you?
>
>I have a case but use it because it mates with a matching holster half
>of the case. That is, it's a belt holster case: clip holster half on my
>belt, slide phone in and out of holster. I have another case (no longer
>used) that is silicone. It protected the phone against drops. I also
>have a holster case with a magnetic flap that the phone rides inside.
>
>A hard case won't protect your phone. A clear hard case makes no sense
>since it affords no impact protection and, yes, shows off the phone but
>then the phone would be shown off if you didn't use any case.

A clear case may not provide much as far a drop protection, but it
dies keep the phone from getting all scratched up. I'd rather have the
case than have the phone get scratches in it, besides it's cheaper to
replace than the phone.