What method you use to backup & share your installed apps on Android?

Arlen Holder

Oct 9, 2018, 12:47:45 AM10/9/18
What method you use to backup & share your installed apps on Android?

Together, these two methods backup and share your installed apps:
a. A program to generate a list of apps, versions, & URLs
b. A program to generate the actual APKs for each app & version

For (a) above, there are many ways to save for backup and/or share your
list of URLs for installed apps on Android, where the method I use is shown
below, and where I ask what method you use to share your list of installed
apps on Android sufficient for easy re-installation by yourself or by your
friends.

1. Install any freeware apps-list & URL generator:
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=my%20apps%20list>
2. Generate a list of unique apps for backup & communication purposes.
(This can be an editable file, or the clipboard shared to SMS or Email.)

Note that the shared file includes the Google Play links to the installers.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to include the F-Droid links, sadly.
(Do you know how to obtain that information automatically?)

For example, using My Apps List, by Fede Fernandez:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.projectsexception.myapplist>
My App List: Selectall > Save > filename > OK
My App List: Selectall > Share > Jota or K9-Mail > OK

For example, using My Apps - App List, by Spencer Studios:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spencerstudios.applist>
My Apps-Apps List: 3dot > Select all > Share > Jota or K9-Mail > OK

For example, using List My Apps, by onyxbits:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.onyxbits.listmyapps>
List My Apps: 3dot > Select all > Share > Jota or K9-Mail > OK

For (b) above, I install any freeware APK backup utility which can back up
any already-installed app to an APK which can be archived and re-loaded at
will.

For example, App Backup & Restore - Easiest backup tool, by Apex Apps:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.usage.appbackup>
This doesn't generate a list or URLs, but it generates the actual APKs.

Together, these two methods backup and share your installed apps:
a. A program to generate a list of apps, versions, & URLs
b. A program to generate the actual APKs for each app & version

To further improve our overall tribal knowledge, I ask...
What method you use to backup & share your installed apps on Android?

visiblink

Oct 10, 2018, 12:30:59 AM10/10/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> Wrote in message:
For b, I use APK Extractor, available on F-Droid :
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/axp.tool.apkextractor/

Thanks for the info on a. I hadn't considered an app that would
list all installs.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

(PeteCresswell)

Oct 10, 2018, 7:45:18 PM10/10/18
Per visiblink:
>For b, I use APK Extractor, available on F-Droid :
> https://f-droid.org/en/packages/axp.tool.apkextractor/

+1 for APK Extractor.
--
Pete Cresswell

Frank Slootweg

Oct 11, 2018, 9:18:21 AM10/11/18
"(PeteCresswell)" <x...@y.invalid> wrote:
> Per visiblink:
> >For b, I use APK Extractor, available on F-Droid :
> > https://f-droid.org/en/packages/axp.tool.apkextractor/
>
> +1 for APK Extractor.

+1 again, especially because it saves the APKs in the Download folder! [1]

[1] "Nudge nudge. Nudge nudge. Know what I mean? Say no more...know what
I mean?"

123456789

Oct 11, 2018, 1:14:12 PM10/11/18
On 10/11/2018 6:18 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> "(PeteCresswell)" <x...@y.invalid> wrote:

>> +1 for APK Extractor.
>
> +1 again, especially because it saves the APKs in the Download folder!

I use Astro which does the same, though I use an older version so can't
vouch for the current one.

Arlen Holder

Oct 11, 2018, 10:16:25 PM10/11/18
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 21:30:53 -0700 (PDT), visiblink wrote:

> For b, I use APK Extractor, available on F-Droid :
> https://f-droid.org/en/packages/axp.tool.apkextractor/
>
> Thanks for the info on a. I hadn't considered an app that would
> list all installs.

If you know of a free app that will output the _versions_ of the currently
installed apps into an editable file, that would be very useful!

Thanks for the suggestion of the F-Droid APK Extractor since I've been
using "App Backup & Restore, by Apex Apps" which has ads in it:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.usage.appbackup>
I'll check out that suggested F-Droid APK Extractor moving forward.

I've been able to create an editable text file of all the apps (with or
without system apps) using My Apps (which creates Google Play URLs):
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spencerstudios.applist>
But that text/URL list doesn't show _version numbers_ in the text file.

I can get version numbers using "Applications Info", which has the
advantage that a screenshot sequence will show the icon and version, which
is important when you have multiple apps with the same name:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.majeur.applicationsinfo>
But the output from "Applications Info" is, unfortunately, not an editable
file.

To get an editable file output of the _versions_ of the installed software,
the best I can do so far is do a directory listing of the backed-up APKs,
as explained in this thread.
From Windows, how can we open a command line on the Android filesystem?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/vmWWLzPHKt0>

Hence, if you know of a free app that will output the _versions_ of the
currently installed apps into an editable file, that would be very useful!

Arlen Holder

Oct 11, 2018, 11:39:59 PM10/11/18
On 11 Oct 2018 13:18:20 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> +1 again, especially because it saves the APKs in the Download folder! [1]

Update...

I installed that suggested F-Droid APK Extractor, which works, of course,
but it's extremely primitive, as it doesn't even seem to have a "select
all" button, which is kind of crazy if there's no way to select 150 apps
except one by one.

Unless there's a setting I missed, the F-Droid APK Extractor seems kind of
useless for automatic backups also, so that's two strikes against it.

One thing going for it though is the sheer simplicity.

It doesn't do much else other than manually back up APKs to the wrong
location, where if you tap on a listed app, it will manually create the APK
on the fly but it puts the APK in the dumbest location possible, which is
in /storage/emulated/0/Download/apk/name-of-apk.apk

That's clearly a stupid location, since it's NOT a download by any stretch
of the imagination. It's a doubly stupid location because it isn't on the
external sdcard, where only someone with absolutely no concept of
organization would leave their APKs on the internal card when they have an
external sdcard just sitting there waiting for APKs that will never show
up.

In summary, while the app does the job, it's primitive in that it isn't
automatic, it doesn't have a select-all, and it doesn't seem to have the
option to put the APK where it belongs (on the external sdcard, for
example); so, unless I missed those basic settings somewhere, I'll happily
a. It can select all APKs
b. It can automatically back up APKs upon installation (all versions)
c. It can distinguish between system apps and user-installed apps
d. It can be set to put the APKs where they belong

The more functional APK extractor automatically puts all versions in:
/sdcard1/1data/apk/filename.apk
so that I can remove the sdcard for backup & re-use in other devices.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 12, 2018, 7:23:50 AM10/12/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:

[About APK Extractor:]

[...]

> One thing going for it though is the sheer simplicity.
>
> It doesn't do much else other than manually back up APKs to the wrong
> location, where if you tap on a listed app, it will manually create the APK
> on the fly but it puts the APK in the dumbest location possible, which is
> in /storage/emulated/0/Download/apk/name-of-apk.apk
>
> That's clearly a stupid location, since it's NOT a download by any stretch
> of the imagination. It's a doubly stupid location because it isn't on the
> external sdcard, where only someone with absolutely no concept of
> organization would leave their APKs on the internal card when they have an
> external sdcard just sitting there waiting for APKs that will never show
> up.

Nope, the "doubly stupid" here is *you*.

We've (non-)discussed this before and instead of *reading* and
*trying* to *learn* from what people post, your threw yet another
tantrum and uttered yet another slew of inappropriate insults (fool,
childish, you have no concept of advanced use, you'll never graduate
above, you won't grow mentally, rigid mindset, Classic fifth-grade
drivel, etc., etc.).

So off you go! Re-read my responses in the "Do you keep the mess in
the external sdcard or do you change it? (to what?)", and for once in
your life, at least *try* to *read for comprehension* and *try* to
*learn* from what people post.

[Sounds of audience not holding their breath.]

[...]

Arlen Holder

Oct 12, 2018, 11:49:49 PM10/12/18
On 12 Oct 2018 11:23:49 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> [Sounds of audience not holding their breath.]

Hi Frank Slootweg,

Instead of playing silly games, I prefer to move forward by advancing
our combined tribal knowledge and capabilities for APK inventory:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1853998dir02.jpg>

While I would have preferred an Android solution that simply lists the
sub versions of all the installed apps into an editable file, I tested
a workaround in the past half hour that I wish to report so that others
can benefit from my efforts, as always.

As long as the APKs are stored on the _external_ sdcard, a simple solution
for obtaining an inventory was tested in the past half hour where the
working workaround is as shown below.

Since this workaround only works with the _external_ sdcard, Frank, if you,
Frank Slootweg, know how to get your recommended APK extractor to
automatically save all the installed APKs to the external sdcard,
that would be useful information indeed, Frank.

Here is what I entered into my log file just now by way of testing.

Note that this method allows you to inventory all your APKs on Android,
from Windows, without installing anything on Android, and without copying
anything from Android to Windows in order to run the inventory command.

The disadvantage is that this method only works on the _external_ sdcard,
so the Android APK extractor _must_ be set up to save to that location.
1. Obtain & install MTP Drive version 2.10 crippleware on Windows
<http://mtpdrive.com/download.html>
Save to: C:\software\network\mtpdrive\MTPdrive210.exe (3,495 KB)
It wants to install to: C:\Program Files\MTPdrive
I installed it into: C:\app\network\mtpdrive
2. Create a shortcut to C:\app\network\mtpdrive\MTPdrive.exe
3. Connect the Android device over USB & run that MTPdrive.exe shortcut
4. Press the MTPDrive GUI "Map" button to map the phone to a named drive
5. This mounts the Android external sdcard as a named drive, e.g., (M:)
6. Right click to "Open Command Window Here" to run a DOS command
7. Run the desired DOS command on that now-mounted Android filesystem
dir /s/a/l/on/b *.apk

Voila!
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1853998dir02.jpg>

For another inventory of _every_ file on the external sdcard:
A. Connect the Android device to the USB port of the Windows PC
B. Run the MTPDrive GUI at C:\app\network\mtpdrive\MTPdrive.exe
C. Press the MTPDrive "Settings" button & then go to the "Settings" tab
D. Press the "Dump device data to a file" button > C:\tmp\WPD.log

The bottom portion of that log file will contain a list of every file found.
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Calculator-com.google.android.calculator-75013172-v7.5 (213680574).apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Chrome-com.android.chrome-349710002-v69.0.3497.100.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Cloud Print-com.google.android.apps.cloudprint-140-v1.40.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Docs-com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.docs-183920235-v1.18.392.02.35.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Drive-com.google.android.apps.docs-183920235-v2.18.392.02.35.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Duo-com.google.android.apps.tachyon-2602856-v39.1.213443905.DR39_RC19.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Facebook App Manager-com.facebook.appmanager-46985667-v18.4.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Facebook-com.facebook.katana-1-vstub.apk
\SD card\1data\software\apk\lgapps\Gmail-com.google.android.gm-60804175-v8.9.23.215020111.release.apk
etc.

The good news:
o This crippleware allows us to map the external sdcard to a Windows drive letter.
The bad news:
o It only seems to work for the _external_ sdcard (not the internal sdcard!)
In summary, the good news is that it's possible to run a DOS command
on the Android file system in order to obtain an inventory of the
installed APKs containing the sub versions.

Of course, it would be preferable to find an Android solution that simply
outputs the apps installed and their sub-version into an editable file.

Arlen Holder

Oct 13, 2018, 12:14:20 AM10/13/18
On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 03:49:49 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> In summary, the good news is that it's possible to run a DOS command
> on the Android file system in order to obtain an inventory of the
> installed APKs containing the sub versions.

By way of complete information, this inventory method works on Linux
without having to add any additional software (tested on Ubuntu 18.04):
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6181360dir01.jpg>

Frank Slootweg

Oct 13, 2018, 9:58:25 AM10/13/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2018 11:23:49 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> > [Sounds of audience not holding their breath.]
>
> Hi Frank Slootweg,
>
> Instead of playing silly games, I prefer to move forward by advancing
> our combined tribal knowledge and capabilities for APK inventory:
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1853998dir02.jpg>

Pointing out that you are unable or/and unwilling to read for
comprehension and learn from that, is anything *but* "playing silly
games".

*You*, OTOH *are* playing *stupid* games, by trying to dodge this
issue of not reading / not learning and trying to divert to your ever so
stupid game of drawing first blood.

So look in the mirror, get off your high horse and get off your
posterior and *read* and *learn*.

[...]

> As long as the APKs are stored on the _external_ sdcard, a simple solution
> for obtaining an inventory was tested in the past half hour where the
> working workaround is as shown below.
>
> Since this workaround only works with the _external_ sdcard, Frank, if you,
> Frank Slootweg, know how to get your recommended APK extractor to
> automatically save all the installed APKs to the external sdcard,
> that would be useful information indeed, Frank.

Yes, I know how to do that and I have pointed you to the answer, but
you're apparently not willing/able to read and learn. So you choose to
be stupid, as in unwilling/unable to learn.

[...]

EOD (Until you get your act together).

visiblink

Oct 19, 2018, 11:53:50 PM10/19/18
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 04:47:45 -0000 (UTC)
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:

> What method you use to backup & share your installed apps on Android?

Just thought you might be interested in this app, which is currently
free on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ruet_cse_1503050.ragib.appbackup.pro

I haven't tried it myself (I will be downloading it immediately), but
free is a great price, and it appears to be feature-laden.

It's not clear how long the free promotion lasts, so hopefully you see
this message before it ends.

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2018, 3:03:48 PM10/21/18
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 04:47:45 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> What method you use to backup & share your installed apps on Android?

This method of "mounting" and/or "sharing" the Android filesystem with
Windows/Ubuntu (and likely the Mac) should help with backing up data.

Tutorial to run any Windows command directly on Android over either USB or Wi-Fi
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/JrWLPRYO-TU>

For example, scheduled rsync commands should work (but I have no experience
with rsync so if others have a working solution, it would be good to post
that so that we all benefit from your knowledge and experience).

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2018, 3:32:31 PM10/21/18
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 20:53:49 -0700, visiblink wrote:

> Just thought you might be interested in this app, which is currently
> free on Google Play:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ruet_cse_1503050.ragib.appbackup.pro
>
> I haven't tried it myself (I will be downloading it immediately), but
> free is a great price, and it appears to be feature-laden.
>
> It's not clear how long the free promotion lasts, so hopefully you see
> this message before it ends.

Thanks for that advice, where I always seek universal solutions that work
for everyone, hence freeware is the only thing that counts.

In addition, I always strive for the _simplest_ solution, which, if we're
going to back up to a desktop, means the desktop does the backing up.

In essence, the goal is to just connect the device to the desktop, and then
let the desktop do the backing up for us.

For example, with rsync or some other easy backup solution.
(I don't use rsync on Windows so if you have a Windows free rsync solution
working that can back up a removable drive, then that would be a great
solution).

For details on how to mount Android as a removable drive, see this post:

Frank Slootweg

Oct 22, 2018, 12:34:14 PM10/22/18
[This response is not about backing up APKs, but about backup/syncing in
general:]

Have a look at:

'SyncMe Wireless'
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync>

'SyncMe Wireless' can sync/backup to a (SMB) Network Share, i.e. also
to any part of your Windows system defined as such.

'SyncMe Wireless' has rather elaborate scheduling facilities, of
course on time, frequency, day(s) of the week, etc., but also including
checking for being connected to a specific Access Point, being charged,
wake up device, etc..

I use 'SyncMe Wireless' to make incremental backup of the - Internal
Storage and SD-card - filesystems of my Android devices.

I have investigated many Android-to-Windows file-backup solutions, and
- for me - this one came out on top.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 22, 2018, 1:33:51 PM10/22/18
KenW <ke...@nono.net> wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2018 16:34:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid>
> When I logged into Google with my new phone, clean out of the box, I
> got everything that was on my broken phone.

Next time use an app which did *not* come with your phone and which is
*not* a Google (i.e. written by Google) app and see how (un)lucky you
get!

There are zillions of *non*-Google apps. If you use any of those,
you're <excrements> out of luck, *unless* those apps *themselves* offer
backup/restore functionality or/and you make backup by other means.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 4:05:13 PM10/23/18
On 22 Oct 2018 17:33:50 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Next time use an app which did *not* come with your phone and which is
> *not* a Google (i.e. written by Google) app and see how (un)lucky you
> get!

As an example of what Frank is explaining to KenW, I factory reset roughly
about monthly (or therabouts), where _plenty_ of things aren't backed up by
Google, e.g., Talkatone setup as just one.

Given privacy is one of my goals, I don't actually use Google backup, but
I've experienced it, mostly when I forgot to turn it off. :(

For more details on the privacy setup aspects of Google backup, look here:
What are the common settings to change on an Android 7.0 Nougat phone for privacy?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/b9Ck9JSyKXY>

Diesel

Oct 31, 2018, 2:02:02 AM10/31/18
Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid>
news:ppq78v...@ID-201911.user.individual.net Fri, 12 Oct 2018
I just pulled the entire thread (all whopping 8 posts rofl) and saved
it as a continuous text file. I admire the patience you demonstrated
with Arlen as you tried to explain the layout of the file systems.

I did get a kick out of their misunderstanding that they can sort the
file system in anyway they damn well like.. ehm... heheh, not as much
as they might think. [g] Windows, Linux. etc.. Certainly, some
folders are do with as you will; others.. ehh, not so much no.
Certain things, including the OS itself do expect to find various
things in specific places and won't be very pleased if you took it
upon yourself to relocate them someplace else, because you didn't
think they should be there. And made no effort to let the OS/software
package in question know about your, ahem, need for house keeping
adjustments.

> [Sounds of audience not holding their breath.]

So true.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:

Frank Slootweg

Oct 31, 2018, 11:47:19 AM10/31/18
Diesel <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
[...]
> I just pulled the entire thread (all whopping 8 posts rofl) and saved
> it as a continuous text file. I admire the patience you demonstrated
> with Arlen as you tried to explain the layout of the file systems.
>
> I did get a kick out of their misunderstanding that they can sort the
> file system in anyway they damn well like.. ehm... heheh, not as much
> as they might think. [g] Windows, Linux. etc.. Certainly, some
> folders are do with as you will; others.. ehh, not so much no.

Indeed. Even his beloved Linux has its filesystem layout largely based
on the SVR4 filesystem layout.

And that filesystem layout indeed specifically describes which parts
are off-limits and which parts are free for all.

> Certain things, including the OS itself do expect to find various
> things in specific places and won't be very pleased if you took it
> upon yourself to relocate them someplace else, because you didn't
> think they should be there. And made no effort to let the OS/software
> package in question know about your, ahem, need for house keeping
> adjustments.

But then 'Arlen' whines about "stupid developers" when he can't have
things his way, which is kind of funny for a self-declared
non-programmer by choice.

Diesel

Nov 1, 2018, 7:44:09 PM11/1/18
Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid>
news:prcmad...@ID-201911.user.individual.net Wed, 31 Oct 2018
15:47:18 GMT in comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> And that filesystem layout indeed specifically describes which
> parts are off-limits and which parts are free for all.

And for logical reasons.

> But then 'Arlen' whines about "stupid developers" when he can't
> have things his way, which is kind of funny for a self-declared
> non-programmer by choice.

Yep. His/her choice of words used to describe various people they
interact with, or rather, fail to interact with (read: acquire
information from them by grade school challenge efforts) doesn't help
them either. It's obvious they're interested in as little effort as
possible on their end to achieve whatever goal they feel is necessary.

This is unrelated (afaik) from here, but...It'll be a month soon
enough, and, no progress has been reported on sharing his/her android
internal/external memory as a drive letter to use 'DOS' commands
(rofl.. on Windows 10? :)). A simple apology was all I asked for and I
would have shared the information they wanted. I was even willing to
provide several ways in which of doing the same thing. No apology was
ever forth coming; more elementary school insults came instead.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
I inherited curiosity from my cat. Why do you ask?

arlen michael holder

Nov 17, 2018, 10:29:08 PM11/17/18
On 22 Oct 2018 16:34:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Have a look at:
> 'SyncMe Wireless'
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync>

Hi Frank,
Thanks for that suggestion of using SyncMe Wireless to sync an Android.

It doesn't solve the problem asked in this thread though, and worse, it
doesn't work with my setup.

But for others it might be a nice app if they wish hands-off sync with a
SMB-shared folder on Windows.

Since I only deal in reality, not fantasy, here's the log file...
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4423528syncme01.jpg>
Install SyncMe Wireless into the "Network" homescreen folder.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync>
"Copy, move, sync and backup your mp3, pictures and documents
over WiFi, USB tethering, cellular VPN or wired network
to your computer or NAS device."
===================
1. It has _nothing_ to to with generating a list of installed apps
2. It has _nothing_ to do with packaging them up as APKs
3. It has _nothing_ to do with sharing that list of URLs with others
4. It is limited to a shared folder(s?) on your PC
- You press "Add Computer"
- It scans for computers but fails on "Netbios", saying
"Netbios name not available (port 137 is blocked)"
"Sync may not function properly"
5. This message goes on for about 250 IP addresses...
192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4, 192.168.1.5, ... 192.168.1.253
6. I run an ipconfig on the desktop, which reports 192.168.1.22
7. I enter the following into the SyncMe Wireless GUI:
Computer Name: 192.168.1.22
Domain: 192.168.1.22
User: uname
Password: passwd
8. I press "OK"; it says
"Validating computer information, it may take a few seconds"
9. It says: "Connection reset"
10. I try again (sometimes, with computers that matters), but it says:
"Unexpected error class java.to.StreamCorruptedException"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8394922syncme02.jpg>
======================

--
Many people on Usenet post solutions to problems they don't comprehend.

Frank Slootweg

Nov 18, 2018, 2:49:16 PM11/18/18
arlen michael holder <arlen_mich...@example.com> wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2018 16:34:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> > Have a look at:
> > 'SyncMe Wireless'
> > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync>
>
> Hi Frank,
> Thanks for that suggestion of using SyncMe Wireless to sync an Android.
>
> It doesn't solve the problem asked in this thread though,

I'm sorry to hear about your vision problems:

<Me>

[This response is not about backing up APKs, but about backup/syncing in
general:]

</Me>

[...]

> Since I only deal in reality, not fantasy, here's the log file...

Apparently you *do* 'deal' in fantasy, because you ignored

<Me>

[This response is not about backing up APKs, but about backup/syncing in
general:]

</Me>

and went on yet another of your wild goose chases.

> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4423528syncme01.jpg>
> Install SyncMe Wireless into the "Network" homescreen folder.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync>
> "Copy, move, sync and backup your mp3, pictures and documents
> over WiFi, USB tethering, cellular VPN or wired network
> to your computer or NAS device."
> ===================
> 1. It has _nothing_ to to with generating a list of installed apps
> 2. It has _nothing_ to do with packaging them up as APKs
> 3. It has _nothing_ to do with sharing that list of URLs with others

It also has nothing to do with the price of potatoes. Might that be
because of this?:

<Me>

[This response is not about backing up APKs, but about backup/syncing in
general:]

</Me>

I hope your text-to-speech app will help you overcome your vision
problems.

[...]

> --
> Many people on Usenet post solutions to problems they don't comprehend.

Some people don't comprehend the word "not".

<news:pssh6...@ID-201911.user.individual.net> -> EOD.

Arlen Holder

Sep 30, 2020, 1:16:29 PM9/30/20
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 09:38:21 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

> I've saved old versions of my apps (apks) over the years and it has
> served me well,

To 123456789's point,

The time to think about backup is each time you install anything.

I concur that it's extremely helpful to autosave all your APKs.
o Save every single version and subversion you install

Store them on your external flash card, if it's big enough
o Or, better yet, copy them over to your PC which usually has terabytes

Almost all, if not all, the APK extractors have settings to save all APKs upon installation, and to not overwrite old versions.

That way you can back up a version or three anytime you want.
o And you can install almost all APKs on almost any Android phone.

What I do is create a folder hierarchy that is the same as my homescreen
o And I populate those folders with the apps as listed on my homescreen

After factory reset, re-installing all the apps is then vastly easier.
o As my app launcher (Nova free) creates placeholders for everything.
--
The time to think about backup is each time you install anything.

Arlen Holder

Nov 19, 2020, 10:32:36 PM11/19/20
Update

See also:
o Does anyone know if the F-Droid app saves the APKs on non-rooted Android?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/onNrUUa4bSI>