Mobile phones are covered in germs. Disinfecting them daily could help stop diseases spreading

7 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Biden Rape Squad

ungelesen,
04.05.2020, 18:30:0204.05.20
an
There are billions of mobile phones in use around the globe.
They are present on every single continent, in every single
country and in every single city.

We reviewed the research on how mobile phones carry infectious
pathogens such as bacteria and viruses, and we believe they are
likely to be “Trojan horses” that contribute to community
transmission in epidemics and pandemics.

This transfer of pathogens on mobile phones poses a serious
health concern. The risk is that infectious pathogens may be
spreading via phones within the community, in workplaces
including medical and food-handling settings, and in public
transport, cruise ships and aeroplanes.

Currently mobile phones are largely neglected from a biosecurity
perspective, but they are likely to assist the spread of viruses
such as influenza and SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus
responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic.

We reviewed all the studies we could find in peer-reviewed
journals that analysed microbes found on mobile phones. Our
conclusions are published in the Journal of Travel Medicine and
Infectious Disease.

There were 56 studies that met our criteria, conducted in 24
countries around the world between 2005 and 2019.

Most of the studies looked at bacteria found on phones, and
several also looked at fungi. Overall, the studies found an
average of 68% of mobile phones were contaminated. This number
is likely to be lower than the real value, as most of the
studies aimed to identify only bacteria and, in many cases, only
specific types of bacteria.

The studies were all completed before the advent of SARS-CoV-2,
so none of them could test for it. Testing for viruses is
laborious, and we could find only one study that did test for
them (specifically for RNA viruses, a group that includes SARS-
CoV-2 and other coronaviruses).

Some studies compared the phones of healthcare workers and those
of the general public. They found no significant differences
between levels of contamination.

What this means for health and biosecurity
Contaminated mobile phones pose a real biosecurity risk,
allowing pathogens to cross borders easily.

Viruses can live on surfaces from hours to days to weeks. If a
person is infected with SARS-CoV-2, it is very likely their
mobile phone will be contaminated. The virus may then spread
from the phone to further individuals by direct or indirect
contact.

Mobile phones and other touchscreen systems – such as at airport
check-in counters and in-flight entertainment screens – may have
contributed to the rapid spread of COVID-19 around the globe.

Why phones are so often contaminated
Phones are almost ideal carriers of disease. We speak into them
regularly, depositing microbes via droplets. We often have them
with us while we eat, leading to the deposit of nutrients that
help microbes thrive. Many people use them in bathrooms and on
the toilet, leading to faecal contamination via the plume effect.

And although phones are exposed to microbes, most of us carry
them almost everywhere: at home, at work, while shopping, on
holidays. They often provide a temperature-controlled
environment that helps pathogens survive, as they are carried in
pockets or handbags and are rarely switched off.

On top of this, we rarely clean or disinfect them. Our
(unpublished) data suggests almost three-quarters of people have
never cleaned their phone at all.

What this means: clean your phone
While government agencies are providing guidelines on the core
practices for effective hand hygiene, there is little focus on
practices associated with the use of mobile phones or other
touch screen devices.

People touch their mobile phones on average for three hours
every day, with super-users touching phones more than 5,000
times a day. Unlike hands, mobile devices are not regularly
washed.

We advise public health authorities to implement public
awareness campaigns and other appropriate measures to encourage
disinfection for mobile phones and other touch screen devices.
Without this effort, the global public health campaign for hand
washing could be less effective.

Our recommendation is that mobile phones and other touch screen
devices should be decontaminated daily, using a 70% isopropyl
alcohol spray or other disinfection method.

These decontamination processes should be enforced especially in
key servicing industries, such as in food-handling businesses,
schools, bars, cafes, aged-care facilities, cruise ships,
airlines and airports, healthcare. We should do this all the
time, but particularly during a serious disease outbreak like
the current COVID-19 pandemic.

https://theconversation.com/mobile-phones-are-covered-in-germs-
disinfecting-them-daily-could-help-stop-diseases-spreading-135318

The Real Bev

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 00:45:4905.05.20
an
On 05/04/2020 03:29 PM, Biden Rape Squad wrote:

> Our recommendation is that mobile phones and other touch screen
> devices should be decontaminated daily, using a 70% isopropyl
> alcohol spray or other disinfection method.

I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs, and if
they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.

Are most phones shared?

--
Cheers, Bev
Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will

Joerg Lorenz

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 01:38:5305.05.20
an
Am 05.05.20 um 00:29 schrieb Biden Rape Squad:
> There are billions of mobile phones in use around the globe.
> They are present on every single continent, in every single
> country and in every single city.
>
> We reviewed the research on how mobile phones carry infectious
> pathogens such as bacteria and viruses, and we believe they are
> likely to be �Trojan horses� that contribute to community
> transmission in epidemics and pandemics.

Who is we?
You are an absolute Troll and your stupid "advice" is counterproductive.
Your credibility is closing in on Zero given your name.

The injection-server for your Troll-posting is an anonymous Troll-server.

Joerg Lorenz

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 01:39:3105.05.20
an
Am 05.05.20 um 06:45 schrieb The Real Bev:
> On 05/04/2020 03:29 PM, Biden Rape Squad wrote:
>>
>> Our recommendation is that mobile phones and other touch screen
>> devices should be decontaminated daily, using a 70% isopropyl
>> alcohol spray or other disinfection method.
>
> I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs, and if
> they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.
>
> Are most phones shared?

Only after falling into the toilet ...

Kees Nuyt

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 08:12:5905.05.20
an
On Mon, 4 May 2020 21:45:48 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs, and if
> they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.

Sure. But consider this example:
You wash your hands before preparing a salad
Busy with the salad, a message appears on your phone.
You swipe to read it.
Do you wash your hands again before you continue preparing the
salad? Probably not.
Now your guests get to ingest your germs.

Imagine similar scenarios with medical personel ...

Of course _you_ are cautious, but I'm afraid the average populace is
as cautious as you are.

> Are most phones shared?

I don't think so.
--
Regards,
Kees Nuyt

Please accept my apologies for any abuse of the English language,
I'm not a native speaker.

Lewis

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 08:25:2505.05.20
an
In message <vll2bfpa9ghm0k1en...@dim53.demon.nl> Kees Nuyt <k.n...@nospam.demon.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2020 21:45:48 -0700, The Real Bev
> <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs, and if
>> they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.

> Sure. But consider this example:
> You wash your hands before preparing a salad
> Busy with the salad, a message appears on your phone.
> You swipe to read it.

Probably not. I can look at my phone or watch and see the text of the
message. It is rare that I would do this while preparing food.

> Do you wash your hands again before you continue preparing the
> salad?

Absolutely.

> Now your guests get to ingest your germs.

"germs" is a meaningless word and the *VAST* majority of "germs" are
either benign or actually helpful. Very few are harmful.

> Imagine similar scenarios with medical personel ...

Medical personal wash their hands.

--
Well boys, we got three engines out, we got more holes in us than a
horse trader's mule, the radio is gone and we're leaking fuel and

Chris

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 11:25:2505.05.20
an
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2020 03:29 PM, Biden Rape Squad wrote:
>>
>> Our recommendation is that mobile phones and other touch screen
>> devices should be decontaminated daily, using a 70% isopropyl
>> alcohol spray or other disinfection method.
>
> I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs,

"Your" germs come from your environment and unless you live on a deserted
island that environment is shared with other people and "THEIR" germs.

Given a phone is an extension of people's arms cleaning it is a little
pointless unless you clean it whenever you also clean your hands.

> and if
> they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.

They're biding their time ;)

The Real Bev

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 12:30:4905.05.20
an
On 05/05/2020 08:25 AM, Chris wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/04/2020 03:29 PM, Biden Rape Squad wrote:
>>>
>>> Our recommendation is that mobile phones and other touch screen
>>> devices should be decontaminated daily, using a 70% isopropyl
>>> alcohol spray or other disinfection method.

Well, perhaps running it through the washer and dryer would work. I
haven't seen anything but 50% alcohol for months.

>> I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs,
>
> "Your" germs come from your environment and unless you live on a deserted
> island that environment is shared with other people and "THEIR" germs.
>
> Given a phone is an extension of people's arms cleaning it is a little
> pointless unless you clean it whenever you also clean your hands.

If I wash my hands in the house (which is where I am 99% of the time)
they get recontaminated within seconds. This is NOT something I am
going to worry about.

>> and if
>> they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.
>
> They're biding their time ;)

I know. They give it a shot every once in a while, but with no success.
I haven't been sick for decades, although family members have.

Siri Cruise

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 14:16:5405.05.20
an
In article <r8qr1t$6fh$2...@dont-email.me>,
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/2020 03:29 PM, Biden Rape Squad wrote:
> >
> > Our recommendation is that mobile phones and other touch screen
> > devices should be decontaminated daily, using a 70% isopropyl
> > alcohol spray or other disinfection method.
>
> I'm the only one who touches my phone. Any germs are MY germs, and if
> they haven't killed me yet they probably aren't going to.
>
> Are most phones shared?

It's an apocalypse commentary based on the Hitchiker's Guide to
the Galaxy.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

sms

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 14:45:1005.05.20
an
On 5/5/2020 9:30 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 05/05/2020 08:25 AM, Chris wrote:
>> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, perhaps running it through the washer and dryer would work.  I
> haven't seen anything but 50% alcohol for months.

That shortage is pretty much over. I have some 70%, 91%, and 99.9% all
purchased within the last month.

One nice thing is that with my Note 9 I can use the active stylus so I'm
not constantly touching the screen. But you can also buy a capacitive
fine point stylus for any phone, there just won't be a place to store it.

nospam

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 14:56:0205.05.20
an
In article <r8sc7l$jdt$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Well, perhaps running it through the washer and dryer would work.  I
> > haven't seen anything but 50% alcohol for months.
>
> That shortage is pretty much over.

that shortage is very definitely *not* over.

The Real Bev

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 15:41:1905.05.20
an
On 05/05/2020 11:45 AM, sms wrote:
> On 5/5/2020 9:30 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

>> Well, perhaps running it through the washer and dryer would work. I
>> haven't seen anything but 50% alcohol for months.
>
> That shortage is pretty much over. I have some 70%, 91%, and 99.9% all
> purchased within the last month.

Perhaps if I were willing to get up early and go to Walmart...

> One nice thing is that with my Note 9 I can use the active stylus so I'm
> not constantly touching the screen. But you can also buy a capacitive
> fine point stylus for any phone, there just won't be a place to store it.

Hang it around your neck. I bought a mess of those cheap lanyards from
ebay over a year ago.

--
Cheers, Bev
Eat this, NSA: bomb assassinate Washington North Korea Iraq spy poison

Arlen Holder

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 16:04:5805.05.20
an

> Perhaps if I were willing to get up early and go to Walmart...

Hi The Real Bev,

I wonder how many people on this thread actually understand viruses?
o They're not even living things - they're just a bunch of chemicals.

While the coronavirus family can "survive" on inanimate objects for up to 9
days (with half lives of 1 day on paper, 3 days on some metals, 3 hours in
air, etc.), suffice to say your phone is teaming with all sorts of viruses,
the coronavirus being only one of many enveloped viruses.

While the DNA or RNA of any particular virus is different, all you need to
do to "inactivate" them is denature their capsid proteins or wipe out the
phospholipid envelope, or change the shape of the glycoprotein spike, etc.

The point is it's all chemical in nature when discussing disinfection.
o All you need to do is pick a chemical which won't hurt the phone itself.

To that end, it seems, strangely, the hoi polloi are just now figuring out
that "germs" exist in the billions on your cellphone, where it's deviously
difficult to "sterilize" (think autoclave) but pretty darn simple to
'disinfect' (think alcohol+water) physical items such as cell phones.

As most of you probably know, a coronavirus is an enveloped virus which
causes something like 10% to 30% of all common colds (only four of them are
needed to cause that many colds - so it's clearly quite prevalent).

This particular SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus happens to have a spike protein
which is cleaved by furin such that its affinity for your ACE2 receptors is
an order to one or two more orders of magnitude better than that of its
similar cousin sometimes referred to as "classical SARS" (aka SARS-CoV-1).

The spike protein will be its weakness for antibody reactions (think
vaccines); but the envelope is its weakness for disinfectants.

That phospholipid envelope surrounding the capsid is its strength inside
your body; but that lipid envelope is its weakness outside your body, in
that it's as simple to destroy that lipid envelope on your phone as it is
to hand wash your oily dishes at home.

Almost anything that acts on fats will work, e.g.,
o Expose it to dry air
o Expose it to heat
o Expose it to UV light
o Expose it to detergents
o Expose it to peroxides
o Expose it to oxidizers
o Expose it to alcohols
etc.

Any and all of these will break up the lipid outer envelope, thereby making
the virus "inactive" on your phone.

Ask away if you wish to know more about the coronavirus on your phone.
--
Two kinds of people are on Usenet: those adding value... & those who can't.

Arlen Holder

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 16:39:4805.05.20
an

> That shortage is pretty much over. I have some 70%, 91%, and 99.9% all
> purchased within the last month.

Steve,

More alcohol percentage isn't necessarily better...

While I'm aware you're reasonably well educated, I'm not sure what you know
about disinfectants, so I want to let the proletariat who are on this
thread know that ever higher and higher alcohol percentage isn't
necessarily better for disinfection purposes.

Everyone knows how hard it is to obtain 99.9% alcohol (where if you want,
I'll compare my photo of "pure ethyl alcohol, USP, reagant quality" to
yours, where just tell me what you want in the background to prove I don't
make this shit up) - so why bother with pure ethyl alcohol when lesser
percentages work just fine?

Fact is, in most cases, 70% alcohol is _better_ than 99.9% alcohol for most
bacterial disinfection purposes anyway. And for enveloped viruses such as
the coronavirus, anything great than about 60% works just fine.

The phospholipid viral envelope is amazingly labile.

For the coronavirus, which isn't living in the first place, anything more
than 60% has been proven to be effective in multiple studies, but when we
extend the conversation to bacteria, the percentages flip somewhat, because
the mechanism of action is completely different.

To understand why, you have to have a basic understanding of _how_ alcohol
works when disinfecting "bacteria" (not viruses, but bacteria) on inanimate
objects.

Since the subject is "germs", that includes both viruses & bacteria (and
quote a few other things) where my main point is for the hoi polloi, who
probably may have never taken college-level organic chemistry,
biochemistry, virology, bacteriology, immunology, etc., that the concept of
"more is better" in alcohol percentage for disinfection is not always the
case.

For bacteria, you _need_ appreciable water; and for the enveloped
coronaviruses, any percentage of alcohol over around %60 will work just
fine.

In summary, more isn't necessarily better (for disinfection purposes).

Miloch

ungelesen,
05.05.2020, 17:04:0805.05.20
an
In article <r8sgt8$eov$1...@neodome.net>, Arlen Holder says...

>> Perhaps if I were willing to get up early and go to Walmart...
>
>Hi The Real Bev,
>
>I wonder how many people on this thread actually understand viruses?
>o They're not even living things - they're just a bunch of chemicals.
>
>While the coronavirus family can "survive" on inanimate objects for up to 9
>days (with half lives of 1 day on paper, 3 days on some metals, 3 hours in
>air, etc.), suffice to say your phone is teaming with all sorts of viruses,
>the coronavirus being only one of many enveloped viruses.
>
>While the DNA or RNA of any particular virus is different, all you need to
>do to "inactivate" them is denature their capsid proteins or wipe out the
>phospholipid envelope, or change the shape of the glycoprotein spike, etc.

Finally...someone who speaks my language...my lingua franca...who actually knows
what they're talking about.

Denatured not only all the capsid proteins in the house, but neutered my cat,
switched from bourbon to scotch and swore off watching White House press
briefings!...been the better for it ever since.

*

Arlen Holder

ungelesen,
08.05.2020, 22:33:5808.05.20
an

> Finally...someone who speaks my language...my lingua franca...who actually knows
> what they're talking about.

Unfortunately, very few on the Internet understand such things.
o Notice, for example, the utter garbage Steve Scharf spewed earlier...

I, for one, would _love_ to find someone to converse with about the
immunological markers for who is going to get the cytokine storm, and who
won't.

Likewise, it would be fantastic to find someone, anyone, who knows more
about the antibody titre than I do, so that I can learn from them.

Alas, 'tis that simple request far too much to ask for on Usenet?
--
Usenet is supposed to be a world-wide public adult discussion vehicle.
0 neue Nachrichten