What is a good TIMER photo app for Android?

Arlen Holder

Sep 12, 2018, 1:13:44 PM9/12/18
The default Camera app for my phone has only 3, 5, and 10 second delay.

What I want is to set the timer to take shots every x seconds.

Do you know of a good camera app with an x-second-forever snapshot timer?

Eli the Bearded

Sep 12, 2018, 2:22:47 PM9/12/18
You have Termux, right? The Termux API add-on for it gives you a
`termux-camera-photo' tool. Just wrap that in a shell script to take
shots on a schedule. It also has you name the photos, so you can group
your timelapse runs together easily.

#!/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/sh

name=wednesday-timelapse
delay=10
for id in $(seq -f %03.f 1 250) ; do
termux-camera-photo "$name-$id.jpg"
sleep $delay
done

exit 0

Changing the name and the delay should be obvious modifications.

Elijah
------
terminals: not just for computers

Joe Beanfish

Sep 13, 2018, 9:43:10 AM9/13/18
Don't know of any myself, but it sounds like what you want is
a time-lapse photo/video app. Try a search for time lapse.

Arlen Holder

Sep 13, 2018, 12:34:18 PM9/13/18
On 13 Sep 2018 13:43:09 GMT, Joe Beanfish wrote:

> Don't know of any myself, but it sounds like what you want is
> a time-lapse photo/video app. Try a search for time lapse.

I tried a dozen apps that *said* they handled time lapse.
All but one sucked.

Most sucked because they didn't do enough "timer" stuff.
Some sucked like iOS in terms of crappy ads.

I found the one that works best, which was open source, with 0 ads!

That one that works best is "Open Camera" v1.43.3 by Mark Harman.
"net.sourceforge.opencamera-1" on Google Play, FDroid, & Sourceforge.

It has time-related settings which do what I need.
1. It has a timer (which isn't hard to come by for most cameras)
2. The timer has a dozen settings, from 1s to 5m (most don't have that)
3. It has a "Repeat" feature (most don't have that)
4. The number of repeats can be 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, etc.
5. One of the repeat settings is "Unlimited" repeats
6. The repeat has an "interval" between repeats from no delay to 2 hours

In addition, it can do timer beeps, voice countdowns, and a host of other
niceties.

IMHO, this Mark Harmon Open Camera is a keeper.
The guy really knows what a user needs when it comes to camera timers!

So others can find it easily, here are some references
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera>
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.sourceforge.opencamera/>
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencamera/>
<https://opencamera.sourceforge.io/>
<http://mark-h.users.sourceforge.net/>
<https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-camera-t2850557>
<http://opencamera.org.uk/>

Arlen Holder

Dec 30, 2019, 2:46:47 PM12/30/19
UPDATE:

The two camera apps I suggest everyone (who can) should install are...

For functionality:
o Changing the camera app can remarkably improve your photo quality of results
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.photo.digital/LtY49dG01mc>

For timer capabilities: