How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 7:38:15 AM10/14/17
How best to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux

I want to mount my mobile devices (both iOS and Android) on Linux (Ubuntu
16.04) over the local LAN (i.e., over Wi-Fi) so I would like to know the
"basic" approach.

The basic approach I used to mount phones on Windows 10 is documented here:
How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/ix8xgTcexAY/dlY4nLMfAgAJ>

For example, here's how I copy over the HOSTS file from Windows to a phone:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/10/hosts8407d.jpg>

Assuming the basics of a half dozen mobile phones roaming around on a local
WiFi network at home, some of which are iOS and others are Android...

How would you suggest one best approach this same mounting task on Linux?

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 14, 2017, 8:10:14 AM10/14/17
Plug it in. Thats all it takes with Android and linux. With iOS, ask apple
why they make it so idiotic. Mind, you can mount it on linux too. iOS is
just very awkward

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 9:43:02 AM10/14/17
He who is Peter K+APY-hlmann said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 14:10:13 +-0200:

> Plug it in. Thats all it takes with Android and linux. With iOS, ask apple
> why they make it so idiotic. Mind, you can mount it on linux too. iOS is
> just very awkward

It's my fault for not being clear that we're talking about all the mobile
devices in the household that are connected by Wi-Fi to the local LAN.

I do agree though that just plugging in an iOS device or Android device via
USB cable also works when all the mobile devices in the household happen to
be in your hands.

And, I agree that plugging an iOS device into Linux is a dream come true in
that you can actually easily access part of the file system on that iOS
device.

But USB cables don't work well for *all* the devices in the household which
move about and are scattered over multiple floors and which may be outside
at the pool or in the barn or in the basement, etc. at the time that you
want to synchronize the hosts files, for example.

The question is very important because it can be leveraged to every
household that has Linux and mobile devices on the same local network.

To clarify, the question is:
What's the best way to automatically mount all iOS and Android mobile
devices in the household on Linux over the local home WiFI LAN?

Whiskers

Oct 14, 2017, 10:14:16 AM10/14/17
Start by getting the permission of each user, and getting the login
details for each device so that you can log in as if you were the user.

To access files over WiFi, each device will need to be running
some sort of 'file server' (with appropriate ports 'open' in any
'firewall').

But I doubt if you'll be able to do more than access the files the user
has access to, no matter how you connect; 'mounting' isn't going to
happen.

If you want to impose some sort of 'parental control' over what your own
children can access on line, consider setting up their devices to use a
DNS server such as 'OpenDNS' which offers custom filtering etc. Of
course, web savvy kids will soon learn how to get around that.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 11:52:20 AM10/14/17
He who is Whiskers said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 15:14:12 +0100:

> Start by getting the permission of each user, and getting the login
> details for each device so that you can log in as if you were the user.

Thanks Whiskers, for offering help, where I'll clarify the "login"
situation as I understand it empirically.

I agree with you that it's a given that you have permission to access all
the devices in your own household that are connect to your own Wi-Fi LAN.
:)

What's interesting to note is that you don't need the PIN or "login
details" of the mobile devices as far as I can tell, except when you
installed and configured the server on that mobile device.

All you need to do is run the server on the mobile device (which needed
access only once) where that server defines the "new" login details for the
connection.

For example, if I use anonymous login, then I can't access the HOSTS file
but if I just set the server on the mobile device to have a login and
password of, say, "ftp" & "ftp", then I can access the hosts file.

So it seems that the only login/password that won't let you access the
entire default file system on the mobile device is "anonymous"; anything
else as a login seems to work just fine (and doesn't have to have anything
to do with the "phone" login and PIN) to allow you as much access to the
file system as the mobile device will allow you to access.

> To access files over WiFi, each device will need to be running
> some sort of 'file server' (with appropriate ports 'open' in any
> 'firewall').

Thanks Whiskers for that suggestion of the firewall intricacy, where I'll
agree that whatever port and protocol used as the server on the mobile
device has to be allowed through the local SOHO router's and Linux software
firewalls (if they exist).

The server I used on both Android and iOS is an FTP server where on iOS the
default port happens to be 12345 while on Linux the default port happens to
be 3721 (with encryption being an unchecked option).

As a side note, since any mobile device on the home network has to
authenticate by a passphrase to just be on the LAN, I'm not worried about
encryption, but encryption is always an option.

> But I doubt if you'll be able to do more than access the files the user
> has access to, no matter how you connect; 'mounting' isn't going to
> happen.

I don't disagree, where there are four common situations as I know them:
Not rooted/not jailbroken:
1. Android: You can see the /sdcard0 and extSdCard in its entirety.
2. iOS: You can see all add-on app private space including all media files.
Rooted/jailbroken:
3. Android: AFAICT, you can see the entire file system (but not ROM).
4. iOS: AFAIK, you can see the entire file system (but not ROM).

Is that summary above correct?

On Android, I rooted my device in a minute without doing anything other
than downloading the KingoRoot app and running it, so, it's not actually
hard to jailbreak/root if people *want* access to their entire file system.

On iOS, I've jailbroken a device in the past, and it wasn't hard, but each
version of the OS and associated firmware has a *different* procedure so I
haven't done it recently (since Android was so simple by way of contrast).

But there must be some people here who have the technical acumen to
jailbreak iOS devices who also know how to connect to a local network.

> If you want to impose some sort of 'parental control' over what your own
> children can access on line, consider setting up their devices to use a
> DNS server such as 'OpenDNS' which offers custom filtering etc. Of
> course, web savvy kids will soon learn how to get around that.

The purpose has nothing to do with parental control.

My kids are long out of the house, where most of the mobile devices in my
household tend to be of the grandchildren, where there, almost exclusively
the girls have the pretty pink bejeweled encased iPhone while the boys are
more practically inclined on the hard-sided camo-encased black Android
phones.

I manage the network for all of them, in so much as every device in the
house uses the same HOSTS file which started, years ago, from the 15,000
line MVP hosts file but has been maintained for a decade with additions
daily.
<http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm>

The key advantage of having a single desktop access to all the mobile
device file systems is that we can copy all the media to the local media
server without ever having to put our privacy on the Internet (which is
what most other people seem to do).

(And yes, I know, Internet & Privacy are incompatible when put together.)

To summarize very clearly, the purpose is file access, not grandparental or
spousal control.

Jolly Roger

Oct 14, 2017, 12:13:38 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

> But there must be some people here who have the technical acumen to
> jailbreak iOS devices who also know how to connect to a local network.

Yep and we are here silently enjoying watching you bumble around
cluelessly like a total dweeb trying to do simple things we do routinely
with ease, all the while claiming you are smarter than everyone else
here. It's quite amusing watching dimwit trolls like you fail so hard on
such simple, mundane tasks. : )

JR

William Unruh

Oct 14, 2017, 12:34:34 PM10/14/17
I would be realy worried about those phones being accessible by anyone
(one the private network/anywhere in the world) when outside your own
network, or even anyone on your home network. Ie, think carefully about
the security implications.

Also, ftp is a "file transfer protocol" It is not a network file system
of any kind. Ie, all ftp can do is to copy a file from one machine to
the other. Editing a file would mean you have to copy the file over to
your machine, edit it on your machine and then transfer it back again to
the other machine.
(or, maliciously, just copy a file from "your machine" to the phone)

Ie, I would think carefully about what you are doing and its security
implications.

That said, you might want to look at curlftpfs

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 12:48:27 PM10/14/17
He who is Jolly Roger said on 14 Oct 2017 16:13:36 GMT:

> Yep and we are here silently enjoying watching you bumble around
> cluelessly like a total dweeb trying to do simple things we do routinely
> with ease, all the while claiming you are smarter than everyone else
> here. It's quite amusing watching dimwit trolls like you fail so hard on
> such simple, mundane tasks. : )

And you know where the fountain of youth is hidden too ... but of course
you won't tell us where.

Thank you Jolly Roger for that expert and well meaning help to all of us.

What I love about you, Jolly Roger, is that you are the epitome of an iOS
apologist if there ever was one.

You actually *can't* do anything we talk about, but, you always loudly
*claim* you can do it *all* in your sleep.... but ... of course ... you
won't ever tell us *how*...

Heh heh...

Just watch...

--
HINT: All Jolly Roger can ever do is press an existing iTunes button that
Apple Marketing provided, which doesn't do even close to what we're asking,

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 1:04:06 PM10/14/17
On 10/14/17, 6:43 AM, in article ort493$1f6s$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "harry
Are you doing this just as an exercise to see if it can be done (which is
fine) or do you have some task you are trying to complete on these devices
(such as moving files around or the like)?

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

<https://youtu.be/H4NW-Cqh308>

Carlos E.R.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:08:37 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14 17:52, harry newton wrote:

> As a side note, since any mobile device on the home network has to
> authenticate by a passphrase to just be on the LAN, I'm not worried about
> encryption, but encryption is always an option.

Notice that phones are also open to one another, and also open when out
of your house, to anyone that knows or can sniff the ftp password.

Also, the battery will run out sooner.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 1:13:46 PM10/14/17
He who is William Unruh said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:34:34 -0000 (UTC):

> I would be realy worried about those phones being accessible by anyone
> (one the private network/anywhere in the world) when outside your own
> network, or even anyone on your home network. Ie, think carefully about
> the security implications.

I thank you for bringing up security, which I would ask that we keep aside
as a completely *separate* (hence off-topic) issue. The reason I ask we
keep it separate is that security is solved in a different way altogether.

By way of example, terrorists exist out there where you can be so afraid of
the terrorists killing your grandchildren that you disconnect your Internet
and you physically lock your grandchildren in their bedrooms with a 16-pin
door lock and you don't let them outside ever.

You can let the terrorists make you disconnect your Internet and physically
lock your kids in their rooms, or, you can deal with the terrorists
separately (with different ways and means).

Same here. I know that anyone who *hacks* into my network can instantly
*see* the file systems of all the mobile devices connected to the network,
but that's a *different problem* set that is handled separately.

Let's first solve how to connect any mobile device file system to Linux
*separately* from the completely off-topic barrier of security, keeping in
mind that the stuff we're trying to keep private isn't on a State
Department list of munitions or weapons of war.

They're just family photos that we want to keep within the family without
having to put them on the Internet.

> Also, ftp is a "file transfer protocol" It is not a network file system
> of any kind. Ie, all ftp can do is to copy a file from one machine to
> the other. Editing a file would mean you have to copy the file over to
> your machine, edit it on your machine and then transfer it back again to
> the other machine.
> (or, maliciously, just copy a file from "your machine" to the phone)

You bring up the Big Kahuna which I didn't want to lead the suggestions in
any particular direction. You'll notice I'm trying to use the word "Server"
on the mobile device because it doesn't matter (to me) what kind of
"server" is used.

The server could be a server that runs on Linux, for all I know, if that's
a good way to mount all the mobile device file systems over the WiFi LAN.

Empirically, you'll note that I've used the FTP Server successfully on the
mobile device, but that's just because the Windows file system browser
understands FTP protocols.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/14/d_andsmb_network_mount.jpg>

I've also tried an SMB Server on Android, but I failed for some reason:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/14/e_andsmb_network_mount.jpg>

Since Linux understands both FTP and SMB protocols, if Samba is the
solution for how best to connect all mobile device file systems on the
local network, that would be fine by me.

All I want is a solution which allows Linux to 'see' the file system of all
the mobile devices (i.e., iOS and Android) on the LAN.

Usually Android is easier so usually we do that first.
Then we tackle iOS, which is generally more restricted.

> Ie, I would think carefully about what you are doing and its security
> implications.

As I said, I think the "security implications" are an off-topic separate
issue, because locking your kids in their bedrooms and disconnecting the
Internet is one way of preventing terrorists from killing them - but there
are likely ways to stop terrorists from killing your kids AND allowing your
kids to be on the Internet and out of their bedrooms too.

My point is that security is a *different* topic altogether, and not the
topic of this thread (but certainly welcome as a point of fact).

> That said, you might want to look at curlftpfs

Thank you for that on-topic suggestion!

Looking up CurlFTP I see the description is:
"CurlFtpFS is a filesystem for accessing FTP hosts based on FUSE and libcurl."
<http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/>

We don't need its security features (although they are a plus) but it is
nice that it "automatically reconnects", and that Linux supports it.

I'll need to read *lots* more on this FUSE stuff, so consider the next
question more of an exploratory one please ...

A key determinant of the overall solution has to be which side runs the
server and which side runs the client.

Are you suggesting that Linux be the server? Or the mobile devices?

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 1:21:37 PM10/14/17
He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:07:26 +0200:

>> As a side note, since any mobile device on the home network has to
>> authenticate by a passphrase to just be on the LAN, I'm not worried about
>> encryption, but encryption is always an option.
>
> Notice that phones are also open to one another, and also open when out
> of your house, to anyone that knows or can sniff the ftp password.

Thanks Carlos for that interesting point that a client on any of the phones
can access the server that is running on the phones.

One way around that might be to device a system where the Linux desktop is
the only server, which relegates the phones to only running clients.

The question would be *which* server protocol to use as that Linux server
such that all mobile devices connected to the local network over WiFi would
have their entire file systems bared to that server.

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 1:28:56 PM10/14/17
In article <D607918D.BAB25%use...@gallopinginsanity.com>, Snit
<use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> > To clarify, the question is:
> > What's the best way to automatically mount all iOS and Android mobile
> > devices in the household on Linux over the local home WiFI LAN?
>
> Are you doing this just as an exercise to see if it can be done (which is
> fine) or do you have some task you are trying to complete on these devices
> (such as moving files around or the like)?

none of the above. he's trolling. he asked the same question last year.

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 1:29:42 PM10/14/17
He who is Snit said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 10:03:57 -0700:

>> What's the best way to automatically mount all iOS and Android mobile
>> devices in the household on Linux over the local home WiFI LAN?
>
> Are you doing this just as an exercise to see if it can be done (which is
> fine) or do you have some task you are trying to complete on these devices
> (such as moving files around or the like)?

I've been interconnecting Apple and Unix and Windows "devices" forever; so
it's a never-ending task.

As just one example, in the early nineties, I would run Samba and CAP
(Columbia AppleTalk Protocol) on SunOS and Solaris servers so that all the
PCs and Macs and UNIX people could share (literally) the *same* files,
taking into account that crazy resource fork and data fork stuff which
drove the admins (well, they were called "secretaries" in those days) nuts
if I didn't *hide* the useless fork from them.

As another example, in the very early days of Adobe PDF, when nobody knew
anything about it so there wasn't any "print to PDF" option, when I was
trying to get my IT department to set up a common "distiller" location
where anyone on Mac or Unix or Windows could pop a file into the folder
where it would be instantly converted to a PDF that everyone could read.

I also dealt with writing automatic line feed and carriage return
converters just to make sure everyone saw a text file the same way, etc.

This is just a far simpler and just as common task which is simply to get
all the mobile devices in any house in the world to be able to share their
file systems with the desktops, as long as they're all on the same local
network.

I would think this is something anyone in any household might want to do
since it allows you to maintain common files (e.g., hosts files) which I've
been doing for decades, and to maintain a family photo album without having
to put it on the Internet (where it doesn't belong).

All I'm asking here is for advice from the Linux gurus on how best to
architect a general solution that works for iOS and Android and Linux users
alike.

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 1:35:55 PM10/14/17
In article <orthi3$5gr$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, harry newton
<ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

> >> What's the best way to automatically mount all iOS and Android mobile
> >> devices in the household on Linux over the local home WiFI LAN?
> >
> > Are you doing this just as an exercise to see if it can be done (which is
> > fine) or do you have some task you are trying to complete on these devices
> > (such as moving files around or the like)?
>
> I've been interconnecting Apple and Unix and Windows "devices" forever; so
> it's a never-ending task.

if that were true, then you'd not be asking how to do it.

Jolly Roger

Oct 14, 2017, 1:44:48 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
> He who is Jolly Roger said on 14 Oct 2017 16:13:36 GMT:
>
>> Yep and we are here silently enjoying watching you bumble around
>> cluelessly like a total dweeb trying to do simple things we do
>> routinely with ease, all the while claiming you are smarter than
>> everyone else here. It's quite amusing watching dimwit trolls like
>> you fail so hard on such simple, mundane tasks. : )
>
> And you know where the fountain of youth is hidden too ... but of
> course you won't tell us where.

I wouldn't help an Apple-hating dimwit troll like you if you paid me to.
While you stumble around setting up clumsy idiotic FTP servers on your
mobile devices to manually copy files here and there, the rest of us iOS
users have already transferred our content automatically and walked out
the door. Your stupid self-imposed limitations mean nothing to the rest
of us. We're already out the door, and you're stuck fumbling around like
the huge dolt you are.

> Thank you Jolly Roger for that expert and well meaning help to all of
> us.

You don't speak for "all of us", troll.

> What I love about you, Jolly Roger, is that you are the epitome of an
> iOS apologist if there ever was one.

You call everyone you disagree with an "apologist", boring troll.

> You actually *can't* do anything we talk about

Uh huh. Just keep repeating that to yourself over and over, pathetic
troll. : )

> you won't ever tell us *how*...

Cry louder, snowflake.

> Heh heh...

Laugh it up, trollboi. While you fumble around failing to figure out how
to do simple things like copy files to your computer, the rest of us are
laughing *at* you - not with you. : )

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 1:46:58 PM10/14/17
He who is nospam said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 13:35:54 -0400:

>> I've been interconnecting Apple and Unix and Windows "devices" forever; so
>> it's a never-ending task.
>
> if that were true, then you'd not be asking how to do it.

Please post solutions to the problem set.

I know you are a well-known classic Apple apologist, so it's clear you were
as intentionally un-helpful as Jolly Roger was earlier, who is the other
major Apple apologist on the iOS newsgroups (who, classically for iOS
apologists) posted similar purposefully useless drivel.

Please post solutions to the problem set.

The problem set is simple:
How to architect a home WiFi network where the mobile devices (iOS and
Android) file systems are accessed by a Linux desktop for the purpose of
sliding files back and forth (or shared on a common network drive).

Those files can be movies, pictures, hosts files, bookmark files, etc.

Please post solutions to the problem set.

Whiskers

Oct 14, 2017, 1:51:03 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

[...]

> The key advantage of having a single desktop access to all the mobile
> device file systems is that we can copy all the media to the local media
> server without ever having to put our privacy on the Internet (which is
> what most other people seem to do).
>
> (And yes, I know, Internet & Privacy are incompatible when put together.)
>
> To summarize very clearly, the purpose is file access, not grandparental or
> spousal control.

You don't need to have access to any of the grand-kids' mobiles for
that; just have a local WiFi storage device on your LAN to which anyone
who wants to share something can upload it. You also have a DNS server
on your router, if you really want to tinker with your own 'block lists'
instead of using one of the commercial services that are out there.
'Hosts files' are a horrible way of trying to restrict someone's
internet access.

William Unruh

Oct 14, 2017, 2:03:23 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
> He who is William Unruh said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:34:34 -0000 (UTC):
>
>> I would be realy worried about those phones being accessible by anyone
>> (one the private network/anywhere in the world) when outside your own
>> network, or even anyone on your home network. Ie, think carefully about
>> the security implications.
>
> I thank you for bringing up security, which I would ask that we keep aside
> as a completely *separate* (hence off-topic) issue. The reason I ask we
> keep it separate is that security is solved in a different way altogether.

That is of course why so so many systems are broken into-- because
people think that security is something separate. For security to be
worthwhile at all, it must be intimately integrated into every step.

> By way of example, terrorists exist out there where you can be so afraid of
> the terrorists killing your grandchildren that you disconnect your Internet
> and you physically lock your grandchildren in their bedrooms with a 16-pin
> door lock and you don't let them outside ever.

Yes, that is one way, until they fly an airplane into your house.

> You can let the terrorists make you disconnect your Internet and physically
> lock your kids in their rooms, or, you can deal with the terrorists
> separately (with different ways and means).

If you really want security from terrorists, you need to think about it
in every aspect of your life. And web hacking is far far different from
terrorists. There are millions of time more of them and the cost to them
is far far lower.

> Same here. I know that anyone who *hacks* into my network can instantly
> *see* the file systems of all the mobile devices connected to the network,
> but that's a *different problem* set that is handled separately.

Then it is not handled at all.

> Let's first solve how to connect any mobile device file system to Linux
> *separately* from the completely off-topic barrier of security, keeping in
> mind that the stuff we're trying to keep private isn't on a State
> Department list of munitions or weapons of war.
>
> They're just family photos that we want to keep within the family without
> having to put them on the Internet.

??? So why are you mounting the whole filesystem if all you want is
the photos? Sounds very silly.

... much repetition removed.

>> That said, you might want to look at curlftpfs
>
> Thank you for that on-topic suggestion!
>
> Looking up CurlFTP I see the description is:
> "CurlFtpFS is a filesystem for accessing FTP hosts based on FUSE and libcurl."
> <http://curlftpfs.sourceforge.net/>
>
> We don't need its security features (although they are a plus) but it is
> nice that it "automatically reconnects", and that Linux supports it.
>
> I'll need to read *lots* more on this FUSE stuff, so consider the next
> question more of an exploratory one please ...
>
> A key determinant of the overall solution has to be which side runs the
> server and which side runs the client.
>
> Are you suggesting that Linux be the server? Or the mobile devices?

The mobile devices I assume. I have never used curlftp and can give you
no advice. I ran across it looking for "mounting file system over ftp"
in google.

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 2:05:08 PM10/14/17
In article <ortiib$764$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, harry newton
<ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

> >> I've been interconnecting Apple and Unix and Windows "devices" forever; so
> >> it's a never-ending task.
> >
> > if that were true, then you'd not be asking how to do it.
>
> Please post solutions to the problem set.

did that. as usual, you ignored it.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 14, 2017, 2:16:12 PM10/14/17
harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
> How best to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux
>
> I want to mount my mobile devices (both iOS and Android) on Linux (Ubuntu
> 16.04) over the local LAN (i.e., over Wi-Fi) so I would like to know the
> "basic" approach.

AFAIK, Linux - and OS X for that matter - can access a SMB Network
Share with a port number other than 445 (the port number Windows uses).

If that's correct, I think SMB on the Linux (and OS X) client(s) and a
SMB server on the Android (and iOS?) devices is the simplest and
cleanest solution.

SMB is a common and good way to access Network Shares on/from/to
multiple platforms. For example many NAS products use SMB for Windows,
Linux, OS X, Android and iOS clients.

> The basic approach I used to mount phones on Windows 10 is documented here:
> How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Windows
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/ix8xgTcexAY/dlY4nLMfAgAJ>
>
> For example, here's how I copy over the HOSTS file from Windows to a phone:
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/10/hosts8407d.jpg>

I wish that Windows could also use SMB to access the filesystems of
Android (and iOS?) devices, but Windows uses a fixed port (445) and
Android (and iOS?) devices can not use that port without being rooted.

[...]

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 2:20:40 PM10/14/17
On 10/14/17, 10:29 AM, in article orthi3$5gr$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "harry
So it sounds like you mostly need data files... not the system files and the
like. OK.

> I would think this is something anyone in any household might want to do
> since it allows you to maintain common files (e.g., hosts files) which I've
> been doing for decades, and to maintain a family photo album without having
> to put it on the Internet (where it doesn't belong).
>
> All I'm asking here is for advice from the Linux gurus on how best to
> architect a general solution that works for iOS and Android and Linux users
> alike.

On iOS you can use the new Files feature to make available any file you
want. I show an example here:

<https://youtu.be/wsJComccjVk>

You can also have photos automatically shared... same with things like Pages
and many other programs.

This does mean putting the files into the cloud, though, and not everyone
will want to do that.

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 2:25:59 PM10/14/17
On 10/14/17, 10:28 AM, in article 141020171328567324%nos...@nospam.invalid,
I his answer he described his use-case as wanting to share the DATA files...
but he worded it as the whole file system (very different things, of
course).

I suspect he did so knowing Apple allows one but not the other.

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 2:29:32 PM10/14/17
In article <D607A3BE.BAB64%use...@gallopinginsanity.com>, Snit

> >> Are you doing this just as an exercise to see if it can be done (which is
> >> fine) or do you have some task you are trying to complete on these devices
> >> (such as moving files around or the like)?
> >
> > none of the above. he's trolling. he asked the same question last year.
>
> I his answer he described his use-case as wanting to share the DATA files...
> but he worded it as the whole file system (very different things, of
> course).

he doesn't grasp any solution other than mounting entire file systems.

> I suspect he did so knowing Apple allows one but not the other.

apple has no restrictions on sharing files or mounting network file
systems.

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 2:43:27 PM10/14/17
On 10/14/17, 11:29 AM, nospam wrote:

>>> none of the above. he's trolling. he asked the same question last year.
>>
>> I his answer he described his use-case as wanting to share the DATA files...
>> but he worded it as the whole file system (very different things, of
>> course).
>
> he doesn't grasp any solution other than mounting entire file systems.

Well, he is mostly trolling... he might want an occasional actual answer
but his main goal is to troll.

>> I suspect he did so knowing Apple allows one but not the other.
>
> apple has no restrictions on sharing files or mounting network file
> systems.

As far as I know you cannot look at the full file system on an iOS
device (unrooted). Could be wrong, though.

--
🙈🙉🙊

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 3:01:31 PM10/14/17
In article <f4f46e...@mid.individual.net>, Snit

> >> I his answer he described his use-case as wanting to share the DATA
> >> files...
> >> but he worded it as the whole file system (very different things, of
> >> course).
> >
> > he doesn't grasp any solution other than mounting entire file systems.
>
> Well, he is mostly trolling... he might want an occasional actual answer
> but his main goal is to troll.

yep

> >> I suspect he did so knowing Apple allows one but not the other.
> >
> > apple has no restrictions on sharing files or mounting network file
> > systems.
>
> As far as I know you cannot look at the full file system on an iOS
> device (unrooted). Could be wrong, though.

that's ios, not apple as a whole.

what does exist for ios are *many* ios apps that can share content via
various protocols, as a server, a client or both.

there are also numerous other solutions that are *far* easier than
setting up a server on one device and connecting to it from another
device. that's old school thinking. the world has moved beyond that.

he claims to want to install a custom hosts file on every device in his
house to block certain sites (sites which he goes to but won't allow
others), which is the wrong solution.

blocking certain sites is best done at the router for the entire lan,
plus being able to install a hosts file on a mobile device is a huge
security hole just begging to be exploited.

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 3:06:24 PM10/14/17
Sure, but I thought the content was iOS. For macOS you can do so quite
easily.

> what does exist for ios are *many* ios apps that can share content via
> various protocols, as a server, a client or both.
>
> there are also numerous other solutions that are *far* easier than
> setting up a server on one device and connecting to it from another
> device. that's old school thinking. the world has moved beyond that.

Sure, I even made a video to show him one method of sharing a file:

<https://youtu.be/wsJComccjVk>

> he claims to want to install a custom hosts file on every device in his
> house to block certain sites (sites which he goes to but won't allow
> others), which is the wrong solution.
>
> blocking certain sites is best done at the router for the entire lan,
> plus being able to install a hosts file on a mobile device is a huge
> security hole just begging to be exploited.

Agreed.

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 3:15:20 PM10/14/17
In article <f4f5he...@mid.individual.net>, Snit
<use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> > there are also numerous other solutions that are *far* easier than
> > setting up a server on one device and connecting to it from another
> > device. that's old school thinking. the world has moved beyond that.
>
> Sure, I even made a video to show him one method of sharing a file:
>
> <https://youtu.be/wsJComccjVk>

the easiest way is to airdrop it. other options include sftp it via a
share extension.

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 3:40:35 PM10/14/17
I am hard wired with my Mac so never use AirDrop, but, sure, that is
another excellent method (I think AirDrop only works over Wi-Fi).

nospam

Oct 14, 2017, 3:44:54 PM10/14/17
In article <f4f7hi...@mid.individual.net>, Snit
<use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:

> > the easiest way is to airdrop it. other options include sftp it via a
> > share extension.
>
> I am hard wired with my Mac so never use AirDrop,

hard wired to an ios device?

> but, sure, that is
> another excellent method (I think AirDrop only works over Wi-Fi).

airdrop is peer-to-peer wifi, which uses bluetooth le to set up the
link and then tear it down, no existing wifi network needed.

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 4:27:23 PM10/14/17
Sorry... meant I have Wi-Fi turned off on my desktop. Could have it on
and still use Ethernet though.

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 4:30:47 PM10/14/17
He who is William Unruh said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 18:03:22 -0000 (UTC):

> That is of course why so so many systems are broken into-- because
> people think that security is something separate. For security to be
> worthwhile at all, it must be intimately integrated into every step.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I know. The sky is falling. Let's run around and say that
all day, every day, every single moment of every day, and get nothing
accomplished because we're too busy talking about the sky falling down.

There's nothing wrong with your sky-is-falling warning, but it's like
someone asking where to get a weather report for tomorrow and your answer
is all about how inaccurate weather reports are.

And the someone says, "OK. I get that. But where can I get a weather report
for tomorrow", to which you go even deeper into your rationale as to why
all weather reports are broken into and therefore useless.

The result is that there is no answer in your answer.

Your answer is almost worse than the easily predicted trolls from the trio
of iOS apologists (Snit, nospam, & Jolly Roger's) because they clearly
don't know any answers ever.

Worse, these iOS apologistgs have zero intent to provide an answer (even if
they did know anything) ... they just endlessly troll - as can be seen in
this thread ... but you at least have the capability of providing an
answer.

Just watch. NEVER ever ever will they know the answer to *anything*.
Yet, they troll endlessly (mostly among themselves - patting each other on
the ass - just watch - there is no way to stop it - that is all they *can*
do.)

But you... You are different. You have the capability to actually provide a
helpful response which allows a testcase to begin working where the initial
test case will be a single phone and a single Linux Ubuntu desktop box on a
single local LAN.

To that end, I'm working on learning more about FUSE at the moment, so that
may help with the answer....

> Yes, that is one way, until they fly an airplane into your house.

Yes. We know weather reports can be inaccurate.
But where can we get the weather report?

To the point, what server would you run on Linux or Android/iOS to connect
and access the visible file system?

> If you really want security from terrorists, you need to think about it
> in every aspect of your life. And web hacking is far far different from
> terrorists. There are millions of time more of them and the cost to them
> is far far lower.

Yes. I know weather reports can be inaccurate.
But where can we get the weather report?

To the point, what server would you run on Linux or Android/iOS to connect
and access the part of the file system that is visible?

>> Same here. I know that anyone who *hacks* into my network can instantly
>> *see* the file systems of all the mobile devices connected to the network,
>> but that's a *different problem* set that is handled separately.
>
> Then it is not handled at all.

Yes. I know weather reports can be inaccurate.
But where can we get the weather report?

Specifically, how do you connect your phones to your Linux desktop such
that you can just slide the hosts file and the movies and the pictures and
the APK installers to and fro on your local network?

> ??? So why are you mounting the whole filesystem if all you want is
> the photos? Sounds very silly.

You missed the point.
The point is to access as much of the file system as the device will allow.
How much it allows is not the issue.

For some things, you need system access.
For other things, you don't.

For example, you can slide APKs from Android to Windows and back or you can
slide movies or pictures or you can slide the contacts or you can slide the
map data files from one device to another or you can slide the output from
ADB from Android to Linux or whatever.

It's not about the data.
It's about access to the file system over the LAN.

The iOS apologists will all make it an issue about "data" because they
can't ever think in a holistic way. They're stuck in their walled garden,
mentally and physically - so all they will do is troll the thread.

But I expected more of you, where the point is access for *everyone* who
owns a house with a network with devices in it. For that type of access,
you want to be able to access whatever it is that you can access.

Again, this is only about how to architect three things mostly:
1. What protocol
2. What client (and where)
3. What server (and where)

It's really only about that.

> The mobile devices I assume. I have never used curlftp and can give you
> no advice. I ran across it looking for "mounting file system over ftp"
> in google.

I'm looking up how FUSE can help, but the FTP solution and the Samba
solutions are also viable.

The SMB solution "seems" most likely to work since all three platforms
support it, although they should also support FTP even as that's not
necessarily a sharing protocol (and the two channels are kind of complex
when you get to client/server interactions between them).

Carlos E.R.

Oct 14, 2017, 5:20:12 PM10/14/17
Impossible.

The server software has to be on the phones.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Jolly Roger

Oct 14, 2017, 6:34:43 PM10/14/17
As he always does, because: troll. Meanwhile he's only making himself
look like a complete and utter FOOL to those of us who have absolutely
no such issues accessing information when we need it on our mobile
devices.

Jolly Roger

Oct 14, 2017, 6:36:16 PM10/14/17
On 2017-10-14, William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2017-10-14, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
>> He who is William Unruh said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:34:34 -0000 (UTC):
>>
>>> I would be realy worried about those phones being accessible by anyone
>>> (one the private network/anywhere in the world) when outside your own
>>> network, or even anyone on your home network. Ie, think carefully about
>>> the security implications.
>>
>> I thank you for bringing up security, which I would ask that we keep aside
>> as a completely *separate* (hence off-topic) issue. The reason I ask we
>> keep it separate is that security is solved in a different way altogether.
>
> That is of course why so so many systems are broken into-- because
> people think that security is something separate. For security to be
> worthwhile at all, it must be intimately integrated into every step.

You're wasting your time. He's proven time and time again that for him
security is not important.

sms

Oct 14, 2017, 7:13:14 PM10/14/17
That is true. But to look at the full file systems of an unrooted
Android device is also not so easy. You can connect it to a computer and
look at the file system but if the device isn't rooted you can't do
anything to the files other than see them (no deletion or modification).

While most Android devices can be rooted fairly easily, on Moto devices
it voids the warranty.

Snit

Oct 14, 2017, 7:16:28 PM10/14/17
And, really, other than geeky interest what value does it give you?

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 11:27:44 PM10/14/17
He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 23:19:01 +0200:

>> The question would be *which* server protocol to use as that Linux server
>> such that all mobile devices connected to the local network over WiFi would
>> have their entire file systems bared to that server.
>
> Impossible.
>
> The server software has to be on the phones.

Thanks for that advice that the server is almost certainly going to have to
be on the mobile devices - which is how I'm currently doing things.

But I wasn't sure if that was the best way to gain this tremendous power.

Googling for solutions, there are *many* people asking the same question,
where almost all seem to follow that regimen.

For example...
How to access my Android's files using Wi-Fi in Ubuntu?\
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/626941/how-to-access-my-androids-files-using-wi-fi-in-ubuntu#626956>
"Install something on the android that gives ftp/sftp access...
the solution is an Android-side setup of some software..."
Where they suggest SSHelper to set up an SSH server to access using
Ubuntu sftp, and that you can "mount" the Android file system
using the Linux Nautilus file browser or Nemo file manager on Ubuntu.

They also suggest "AirDroid" but I'm not seeking a non-universal solution,
because the iOS devices have to respect the same protocols. They also
suggest all sorts of web access, so I should state right off the bat
that the web is not intended for file access so any suggestion of
http-protocol servers is a dead end before we start.

That solution also covers KDEConnect, which may work on the Linux side but
the server seems to be needed first on the Windows side.

Probably the best suggestion in that solution is to use Samba, where this
guide seems to be pretty well written and informative:

How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line
interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way!
<http://tinyurl.com/y6uw9ljq>
Original (long) URL below:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Network%20Share%20Via%20Samba%20Via%20CLI%20%28Command-line%20interface>\
Although they're essentially just trying to share *linux* files on Android,
and not the other way around.

Since the design has to include both iOS and Android file systems, whatever
server is chosen must run on both the iOS and Android devices, and the
Linux, Windows, and Mac desktops must understand the protocol.

harry newton

Oct 14, 2017, 11:27:46 PM10/14/17
He who is sms said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:13:16 -0700:

>> As far as I know you cannot look at the full file system on an iOS
>> device (unrooted). Could be wrong, though.
>
> That is true. But to look at the full file systems of an unrooted
> Android device is also not so easy. You can connect it to a computer and
> look at the file system but if the device isn't rooted you can't do
> anything to the files other than see them (no deletion or modification).
>
> While most Android devices can be rooted fairly easily, on Moto devices
> it voids the warranty.

It's a red herring non sequitur to bother discussing how much of the file
system is accessible for our purposes since it isn't something that matters
to the problem at hand.

Given *any* iOS or Android device (rooted, jailbroken, or not), there is a
certain amount of the file system that is accessible. Period.

That's all we're trying to access here, which is whatever happens to be
available.

On my iOS devices, that's whatever private space an app will let me access,
which typically is *all* the third-party apps's private space (e.g., VLC)
and *none* of the native apps except the photo/video albums.

On my Android devices, that's either just the "user area" on the nonrooted
devices, or the entire file system on the rooted devices.

If I had jailbroken iOS devices, I would expect it to be similar to the
rooted Android devices.

The point is that it's a non issue how much access to the file system you
have since the goal is simply access to the part of the file system that
you do have across the local LAN.

In summary, the goal is simply to have a method that works for all homes
with a typical WiFi setup and typical consumer mobile devices with he
typical Linux desktop platform (which varies but is mostly Debian and
Redhat based as far as I can guess).

The value to the user base is obviously *tremendous* in that they can
easily slide any file they want from any system they want that is on their
local LAN to any other system on the local LAN.

Without having to put anything (ever) onto the Internet.

The power is inordinate once we get this set up well.

William Unruh

Oct 15, 2017, 12:25:07 AM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
> He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 23:19:01 +0200:
>
>>> The question would be *which* server protocol to use as that Linux server
>>> such that all mobile devices connected to the local network over WiFi would
>>> have their entire file systems bared to that server.

> Probably the best suggestion in that solution is to use Samba, where this
> guide seems to be pretty well written and informative:
>
> How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line
> interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated, Simple and Brief Way!
><http://tinyurl.com/y6uw9ljq>
> Original (long) URL below:
><https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Network%20Share%20Via%20Samba%20Via%20CLI%20%28Command-line%20interface>\
> Although they're essentially just trying to share *linux* files on Android,
> and not the other way around.
>
> Since the design has to include both iOS and Android file systems, whatever
> server is chosen must run on both the iOS and Android devices, and the
> Linux, Windows, and Mac desktops must understand the protocol.

I have no idea why all of those must understand the protocol You have
never told us why you want this, especially why you want the complete
filesystem mounted, especially on all three of those operating systems.
Sure doing it on one (and you seem to favour Linux) would be sufficient
for anything you want to do.
Sometimes you talk about sharing photos. Why in the world not just
download them all to one server where everyone can view them?
You also talk about /etc/hosts, but have never said why you want to
access /etc/hosts on your phones or what you want to do with it.
The reason I emphasise this is that you seem to have fallen into the
trap so many do of having come up with a solution to a problem and are
hell bent on implimenting that solution, rather than finding the best
solution to the problem you have. Telling us the problem rather than
demanding a fixed solution can often lead to far better solutions than
you every thought possible. Of course if you have no problem you are
trying to solve then this is irrelevant, but letting us know that could
help us not waste our time trying.

Again, the more generic you make it the more insecure it will be as
well.

William Unruh

Oct 15, 2017, 12:29:59 AM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15, harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
> He who is sms said on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:13:16 -0700:
>
>>> As far as I know you cannot look at the full file system on an iOS
>>> device (unrooted). Could be wrong, though.
>>
>> That is true. But to look at the full file systems of an unrooted
>> Android device is also not so easy. You can connect it to a computer and
>> look at the file system but if the device isn't rooted you can't do
>> anything to the files other than see them (no deletion or modification).
>>
>> While most Android devices can be rooted fairly easily, on Moto devices
>> it voids the warranty.
>
> It's a red herring non sequitur to bother discussing how much of the file
> system is accessible for our purposes since it isn't something that matters
> to the problem at hand.
>
> Given *any* iOS or Android device (rooted, jailbroken, or not), there is a
> certain amount of the file system that is accessible. Period.
>
> That's all we're trying to access here, which is whatever happens to be
> available.

But you originally said that you wanted to access the whole filesystem,
not just part of it.

> On my iOS devices, that's whatever private space an app will let me access,
> which typically is *all* the third-party apps's private space (e.g., VLC)
> and *none* of the native apps except the photo/video albums.
>
> On my Android devices, that's either just the "user area" on the nonrooted
> devices, or the entire file system on the rooted devices.
>
> If I had jailbroken iOS devices, I would expect it to be similar to the
> rooted Android devices.
>
> The point is that it's a non issue how much access to the file system you
> have since the goal is simply access to the part of the file system that
> you do have across the local LAN.

Well you made it an issue when you set up the problem. Now it is a
non-issue. I must admit that this is looking more and more like a troll.

> In summary, the goal is simply to have a method that works for all homes
> with a typical WiFi setup and typical consumer mobile devices with he
> typical Linux desktop platform (which varies but is mostly Debian and
> Redhat based as far as I can guess).

Sorry, I certainly had the impression that you wanted to solve a problem
that you had, not generate a generic solution for the whole world.

> The value to the user base is obviously *tremendous* in that they can
> easily slide any file they want from any system they want that is on their
> local LAN to any other system on the local LAN.

Almost none of the user base is interested.

> Without having to put anything (ever) onto the Internet.
>
> The power is inordinate once we get this set up well.

Hardly. But now you seem to want to set up a generic system which you
think is important, but want others to do all the work for you.

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 1:20:18 AM10/15/17
He who is William Unruh said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 04:25:06 -0000 (UTC):

> I have no idea why all of those must understand the protocol

It's simple, so I apologize if I didn't explain.

All I'm asking is for experienced people who have done it to suggest
working solutions for the absurdly simple task of mounting all the mobile
device file systems on a Linux desktop on a home WiFi network.

It's really that simple of a goal.

> You have
> never told us why you want this,

Well, it's *obvious* to me, but if it's not obvious to you why those three
operating systems then I'll explain that *everything* I do is leveraged to
everyone.

What is everyone on?

1. Windows
2. Linux
3. Mac

What mobile devices do most people have?
4. iOS
5. Android

It turns out I have 4 of those 5 myself (where sometimes I have a Mac,
depending on whom I'm helping at any given time since I spend a lot of time
in school environments).

Is it so strange to want a global solution, for everyone, that is designed
and architected for acesss to mobile devices?

They're just computers, right?

especially why you want the complete
> filesystem mounted, especially on all three of those operating systems.

Again I apologize for not being as clear as I should have been since people
get hung up on "complete" file systems.

What I meant is what I already explained, but some people seem to have
missed it (they are thinking the way they think only) which is that there
are four types of access and that's OK.

1. All access to Android (only if rooted).
2. All access to iOS (only if jailbroken).
3. Some access to Android (if not rooted).
4. Barely any access to iOS (if not jailbroken).

The word "complete" is a misnomer so I apologize for leading people astray
as the "amount" of file access has *nothing* to do with the question since
how much file access there is depends on whether or not the device is
rooted and whether or not the device file system is "restricted".

I'm not trying to change that.
I don't *care* about that.

Whatever part of the file system that *is* accessible, is what I'm trying
to get accessed by everyone who cares to implement the system we come up
with.

We already know that an FTP server on the mobile devices works for all
desktops (mac, linux, windows) but FTP has its own issues.

More likely we may implement an SMB server on the mobile devices, which may
have advantages, especially with sharing files (and not just copying them).

Or, maybe there's a more elegant solution out there (e.g., CIFS, FUSE, SSH,
etc.).

That's why I'm asking before I implement the global solution that works for
all platforms.

> Sure doing it on one (and you seem to favour Linux) would be sufficient
> for anything you want to do.

I favor all platforms. The same question is asked separately of the Windows
and Mac groups. It's just that the Linux folks are far more technical, in
most cases, than those other groups - so the issues you bring up are
naturally handled here.

I have access to all the platforms so the solution I implement and document
should work for everyone. At least that's the goal.

> Sometimes you talk about sharing photos. Why in the world not just
> download them all to one server where everyone can view them?

It's a global issue.
It's like someone builds a CPU and someone else does *something* with that
CPU. I can't tell you what people will do with the solution because that's
not what the problem set is.

The problem set is *mounting* the mobile device file system over the LAN.

What people *do* with that mounted file system can be anything that can be
*done* with a mounted file system.

Sharing of photos was just one example, as was copying the hosts file as
was copying videos as was executing an APK, etc.

Those are just *examples* of what can be done once a file system is
mounted.

> You also talk about /etc/hosts, but have never said why you want to
> access /etc/hosts on your phones or what you want to do with it.

Again, that's just one *example*.
There are zillions of files on a file system.

Do I literally have to explain what each file of the zillions of files on a
file system does for anyone to understand a file-system mounting question?

Sliding the hosts file both ways from the mobile device to the desktop and
vice versa over the WiFI LAN was just an example of what I do all the time.

> The reason I emphasise this is that you seem to have fallen into the
> trap so many do of having come up with a solution to a problem and are
> hell bent on implimenting that solution, rather than finding the best
> solution to the problem you have.

I don't know if I explained the problem well, so I must apologize that I
didn't explain it well enough to you, so I will repeat the *summary* of the
problem which is to repeat the *subject* line of this thread:

Q: How to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux

That's the question.

> Telling us the problem rather than
> demanding a fixed solution can often lead to far better solutions than
> you every thought possible. Of course if you have no problem you are
> trying to solve then this is irrelevant, but letting us know that could
> help us not waste our time trying.

I must again apologize that I thought the subject line summarized the
question which is how best to mount the mobile device file system on Linux.

> Again, the more generic you make it the more insecure it will be as
> well.

If you tie kids up so that they can't run, and if you cut all the scissors
in the house in half, they'll never hurt themselves by running with
scissors.

I get that. You've told me that the sky is falling already at least two or
three times. I get that you shouldn't run with scissors. You shouldn't
drink hot coffee. You shouldn't drive drunkly. You shouldn't play with
fire. You shouldn't make pipe bombs. You shouldn't jump out of airplanes
without a parachute. You shouldn't punch someone in the face who is bigger
than you are. You shouldn't spit in a policeman's face. etc.

I get it. You're utterly paralyzed by security fears. I get it.
You're scared. I get that. You're fearful. I get that too.
You won't do anything becuase it will open up everything.
I get that you're paralyzed by fear. I get it. ]

But this question has *nothing* to do that astoundingly paralyzing fear.
It's just a simple question about mounting file systems over the LAN.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2017, 1:34:22 AM10/15/17
William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:

> you seem to have fallen into the
> trap so many do of having come up with a solution to a problem and are
> hell bent on implimenting that solution, rather than finding the best
> solution to the problem you have.

You can't teach an old troll new tricks.

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 1:34:24 AM10/15/17
He who is William Unruh said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 04:29:58 -0000 (UTC):

> But you originally said that you wanted to access the whole filesystem,
> not just part of it.

I apologize that I didn't make it clear even though I did make it clear
that there are at least four types of file system "amounts".
1. Rooted Android (the whole file system)
2. Jailbroken iOS (the whole file system)
3. Non-rooted Android (the user part of the file system)
4. Non-jailbroken iOS (the app-space part of the file system)

This was explained in my third post of this thread so I apologize if you
missed that.

The word "entire" was meant to convey the entire part that you *can*
access, which admittedly will vary under those four circumstances above.

But none of that even matters since all I'm asking is how to mount the part
of the file system that you *can* access for any particular mobile device.

> Well you made it an issue when you set up the problem. Now it is a
> non-issue. I must admit that this is looking more and more like a troll.

Look. that's it. You are dropping me way down to your level.
You don't want to give advice.

You just want to argue utter nonsense.

If you just want to argue, then let's both stop right here because I don't
have a lot of time tpo waste and you seem to have a shitload so if you're
gonna play that childish game and accuse me of trolling then let's just
agree to plonk each other so I don't have to waste everyone's time as I
attempt to respond to you calling me a troll which is the most trollish
behavior there is, since it's a valid technical question.

I don't want to play your silly game.
Really. Grow up.

I'm trying to get something done here.

I will NOT respond to *any* more of your posts in this thread, which will
instantly solve the issue that *you* have with respect to the problem set.

Meanwhile, I *will* solve the problem, with or without other people's help.
And I will leverage the solution to everyone who is open minded enough to
understand the simple problem set of:

Q: How best to mount iOS/Android file systems on Linux over the WiFi LAN.

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 15, 2017, 5:11:46 AM10/15/17
harry newton wrote:

> He who is William Unruh said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 04:25:06 -0000 (UTC):
>
>> I have no idea why all of those must understand the protocol
>
> It's simple, so I apologize if I didn't explain.
>
> All I'm asking is for experienced people who have done it to suggest
> working solutions for the absurdly simple task of mounting all the mobile
> device file systems on a Linux desktop on a home WiFi network.
>
> It's really that simple of a goal.

And it really is that simple that there is no need at all to do it with the
same protocoll for all the devices. As long as linux can mount them, they
can use all different protocolls. The result is the same

And yes, you are a troll. A rather stupid one. And you don't use linux.

JF Mezei

Oct 15, 2017, 5:46:48 AM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 01:20, harry newton wrote:

> All I'm asking is for experienced people who have done it to suggest
> working solutions for the absurdly simple task of mounting all the mobile
> device file systems on a Linux desktop on a home WiFi network.

When I had jailbroken my iPhone so I could delete the carrier profile
files, this enabling the APN editing menus to input the APN applicable
to my legacy subscription package, I had access to command line and
thus unix stuff like ls.

I also had an sftp server as well as the apple file server deamon which
allows a mac to mount the the phone's main disk via IP (and thus wi-fi).

A lot of aliases were used, as were wierd and wonderful file names made
of long sequence of numbers.

Eventually, the trick of renaming carrier profile directories stopped
working so I couldn't unlock the APN menu in the settings, and upgraded
my subscription to more recent package where the "hardcoded" APN in the
carrier settings worked (albeit NATted IP address intead of the real
puhlic IP I got with my previous subscription which predated my carrier
being purchased by another one)

As well, with the jailbreaking no longer reliably available
(untethered), I ceased to jailbreak the phone. It was fun and
educational while it lasted.

But today, you can't really expoect to be able to mount a phone's file
system. An FTP, SMB or AFS server application would only have access to
its own rooted directory and not see the rest of the file system.

nospam

Oct 15, 2017, 6:02:14 AM10/15/17
In article <orur6g$1t1r$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, harry newton
<ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

> Is it so strange to want a global solution, for everyone, that is designed
> and architected for acesss to mobile devices?

yes, because no single solution is ideal for all of them.

> Sharing of photos was just one example, as was copying the hosts file as
> was copying videos as was executing an APK, etc.
>
> Those are just *examples* of what can be done once a file system is
> mounted.

both of which do not require mounting the file system.

nospam

Oct 15, 2017, 6:02:15 AM10/15/17
In article <orus0u$1tor$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, harry newton
<ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

> > Well you made it an issue when you set up the problem. Now it is a
> > non-issue. I must admit that this is looking more and more like a troll.
>
> Look. that's it. You are dropping me way down to your level.
> You don't want to give advice.

that's because you're a troll and also rather stupid.

> You just want to argue utter nonsense.
>
> If you just want to argue, then let's both stop right here because I don't
> have a lot of time tpo waste and you seem to have a shitload so if you're
> gonna play that childish game and accuse me of trolling then let's just
> agree to plonk each other so I don't have to waste everyone's time as I
> attempt to respond to you calling me a troll which is the most trollish
> behavior there is, since it's a valid technical question.

not only is it *not* a 'valid technical question', but you seem to have
an unlimited amount of time to make *numerous* posts, each of which
with hundreds of lines of nonsensical babble.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 15, 2017, 9:32:11 AM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 07:20, harry newton wrote:
> He who is William Unruh said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 04:25:06 -0000 (UTC):
>
>> I have no idea why all of those must understand the protocol
>
> It's simple, so I apologize if I didn't explain.

If it is simple, try again in 12 lines. I'm not reading a hundred.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

sms

Oct 15, 2017, 10:13:07 AM10/15/17
Looking at the file system on an unrooted device is not that useful
(other than making you decide to root your device!).

But as with jailbreaking an iOS device, rooting an Android device gives
you a great deal. There are some very useful apps that run only on
rooted phones. One I used a lot in the past, when I didn't have much
data, is an app that lets you specify which apps are allowed to use
cellular data and which apps are allowed to use Wi-Fi data. This saves a
great deal of data because apps that don't need data for anything other
than pushing ads, are not wasting your data.

See this article
<https://lifehacker.com/5806135/the-10-best-android-apps-that-make-rooting-your-phone-worth-the-hassle>.

For iOS, jailbreaking gives you access to a lot of very useful apps that
run even on an unrooted Android phone. It's just a different philosophy
of open versus closed systems, which has its roots in Mac versus
Windows. Give up some security but gain functionality.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2017, 10:52:56 AM10/15/17
[I nominate this as the best comment in the thread. : )]

No shit. This particular troll has a keen ability to make the simplest
things as complicated as can be.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 15, 2017, 12:04:11 PM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 16:52, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2017-10-15, Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:

>>> It's simple, so I apologize if I didn't explain.
>>
>> If it is simple, try again in 12 lines. I'm not reading a hundred.
>
> [I nominate this as the best comment in the thread. : )]

:-D

> No shit. This particular troll has a keen ability to make the simplest
> things as complicated as can be.

Yep.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 15, 2017, 12:25:06 PM10/15/17
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 10/14/17, 10:29 AM, in article orthi3$5gr$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "harry
> newton" <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

[...]
> > This is just a far simpler and just as common task which is simply to get
> > all the mobile devices in any house in the world to be able to share their
> > file systems with the desktops, as long as they're all on the same local
> > network.
>
> So it sounds like you mostly need data files... not the system files and the
> like. OK.
>
> > I would think this is something anyone in any household might want to do
> > since it allows you to maintain common files (e.g., hosts files) which I've
> > been doing for decades, and to maintain a family photo album without having
> > to put it on the Internet (where it doesn't belong).
> >
> > All I'm asking here is for advice from the Linux gurus on how best to
> > architect a general solution that works for iOS and Android and Linux users
> > alike.
>
> On iOS you can use the new Files feature to make available any file you
> want. I show an example here:
>
> <https://youtu.be/wsJComccjVk>
>
> You can also have photos automatically shared... same with things like Pages
> and many other programs.
>
> This does mean putting the files into the cloud, though, and not everyone
> will want to do that.

Indeed, he has specifically said that he does not want the files "on
the Internet" (or some such words).

But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
*desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.

[1] While - AFAIK - he did not specifically say so, it's implied by his
"mount" requirement.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 12:28:06 PM10/15/17
On 10/15/17, 7:13 AM, sms wrote:

>>> That is true. But to look at the full file systems of an unrooted
>>> Android device is also not so easy. You can connect it to a computer and
>>> look at the file system but if the device isn't rooted you can't do
>>> anything to the files other than see them (no deletion or modification).
>>>
>>> While most Android devices can be rooted fairly easily, on Moto devices
>>> it voids the warranty.
>>
>> And, really, other than geeky interest what value does it give you?
>
> Looking at the file system on an unrooted device is not that useful
> (other than making you decide to root your device!).
>
> But as with jailbreaking an iOS device, rooting an Android device gives
> you a great deal. There are some very useful apps that run only on
> rooted phones. One I used a lot in the past, when I didn't have much
> data, is an app that lets you specify which apps are allowed to use
> cellular data and which apps are allowed to use Wi-Fi data. This saves a
> great deal of data because apps that don't need data for anything other
> than pushing ads, are not wasting your data.
>
> See this article
> <https://lifehacker.com/5806135/the-10-best-android-apps-that-make-rooting-your-phone-worth-the-hassle>.
>

> For iOS, jailbreaking gives you access to a lot of very useful apps that
> run even on an unrooted Android phone. It's just a different philosophy
> of open versus closed systems, which has its roots in Mac versus
> Windows. Give up some security but gain functionality.

I know there are apps you can run only if you rooted, but most of the
folks doing so I think do it just for the geeky feel. Yes, if offers
benefits but it also offers risks and weaknesses.

But to each their own.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 12:31:10 PM10/15/17
What is odd is how just the other day when I talked about screen
recording in a time-coordinated way with a desktop he insisted he did
not care about desktop issues and wanted to focus on things dealing with
the mobile device alone.

His new "need" is going exactly contrary to that.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 15, 2017, 2:15:52 PM10/15/17
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
[...]
> I know there are apps you can run only if you rooted, but most of the
> folks doing so I think do it just for the geeky feel.

Maybe "most" people do not really need it. But there are real needs.

I've given one in these threads (SMB on port 445) and also nospam's
SMB suggestion is depending on that.

Another one which has been mentioned (by me) recently is in order to
have a half-decent backup mechanism on/for Android.

> Yes, if offers
> benefits but it also offers risks and weaknesses.

Yes, but being unable/not_allowed to manage one's own device is
ludicrous. Not for Joe User, but for us.

> But to each their own.

You can't have 'root' (or whatever it's called) permission on *your*
OS X machine!?

Frank Slootweg

Oct 15, 2017, 2:24:31 PM10/15/17
AFAICT, you're reading this wrong. He indeed did not care about the
desktop part, because that was a non-issue. Yes, he wanted to focus on
the issues with/on the mobile device, but that does not mean he wants
to *control* things on/from the mobile device.

Analogy: The SMB-on-port-445 issue I mentioned, is purely an issue
on/with the mobile device, but when (read: if) that issue is solved, I
will *control* things from the desktop and not even (physically) touch
the mobile device.

HTH.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 2:31:02 PM10/15/17
On 10/15/17, 11:15 AM, in article os0fl...@ID-201911.user.individual.net,
"Frank Slootweg" <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I know there are apps you can run only if you rooted, but most of the
>> folks doing so I think do it just for the geeky feel.
>
> Maybe "most" people do not really need it. But there are real needs.

Sure.

> I've given one in these threads (SMB on port 445) and also nospam's
> SMB suggestion is depending on that.
>
> Another one which has been mentioned (by me) recently is in order to
> have a half-decent backup mechanism on/for Android.

No doubt there are some who do it to give them better functionality.

>> Yes, if offers
>> benefits but it also offers risks and weaknesses.
>
> Yes, but being unable/not_allowed to manage one's own device is
> ludicrous. Not for Joe User, but for us.

And I think that is the main reason it is done -- philosophy over
functionality reasons. And that is fine.

>> But to each their own.
>
> You can't have 'root' (or whatever it's called) permission on *your*
> OS X machine!?

Of course I can.

nospam

Oct 15, 2017, 3:24:21 PM10/15/17
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> You can't have 'root' (or whatever it's called) permission on *your*
> OS X machine!?

no need.

although there is a root account, it's disabled and not possible to log
in. it can be enabled, but that's very stupid.

apps will ask for authentication if needed. for example, a backup app
would need to authenticate to be able to copy system files and other
user's files.

command line users can use sudo.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 3:52:07 PM10/15/17
On 10/15/17, 11:24 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

>>> Indeed, he has specifically said that he does not want the files "on
>>> the Internet" (or some such words).
>>>
>>> But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
>>> Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
>>> *desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
>>> that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.
>>>
>>> [1] While - AFAIK - he did not specifically say so, it's implied by his
>>> "mount" requirement.
>>
>> What is odd is how just the other day when I talked about screen
>> recording in a time-coordinated way with a desktop he insisted he did
>> not care about desktop issues and wanted to focus on things dealing with
>> the mobile device alone.
>>
>> His new "need" is going exactly contrary to that.
>
> AFAICT, you're reading this wrong. He indeed did not care about the
> desktop part, because that was a non-issue. Yes, he wanted to focus on
> the issues with/on the mobile device, but that does not mean he wants
> to *control* things on/from the mobile device.

With what I talked about, yes, *I* do it with the desktop as the
"controlling" device (for the most part, at least it is what is
recording and where I edit from), but from what you describe he is now
looking to share files with the desktop being the controlling entity.

I have no issue with that... but it is somewhat ironic give how he did
not want to focus on the desktop as controlling in any way before.

He picks issues where he thinks he can make iOS look bad and then says
it is not about his preference for Android. That is fundamentally
dishonest of him.

With that said, there absolutely are areas where iOS is more restrictive
and Android "wins" or whatever.

> Analogy: The SMB-on-port-445 issue I mentioned, is purely an issue
> on/with the mobile device, but when (read: if) that issue is solved, I
> will *control* things from the desktop and not even (physically) touch
> the mobile device.

I have no issue with that... and while a different task, it is somewhat
like my wanting to record the desktop, the mobile device, the sounds
from both, and my voice for making instructional videos. At least in my
case this is done primarily from the desktop (in cases where I do not
need to show the iOS device it is even less important, just needs to be
set up so I *can* access its files or whatever).

> HTH.

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 4:23:05 PM10/15/17
He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 16:25:05 GMT:

> But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
> Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
> *desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
> that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.

The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.

This is a useful goal.

Frank is correct in that I have effected one working solution already,
which seems to work fine but where the server is on the mobile device.

Based on advice here, I'm working on another solution as we speak
(explained in more detail elsewhere in this thread) where the server is on
the destkop Linux box, which may work even better than when the server is
on the mobile device.

This is the summary solution I'm working on at the moment:
1. Install & configure & test a freeware Samba SMB (CIFS) server on Linux
2. Install & configure & test SMB freeware on Android
3. Locate if possible & install & test SMB freeware on iOS
The reason for freeware is to leverage to all households.

Frank's post above was a well meant clarification, but I will not be
responding to any posts by nospam, Snit, Jolly Roger, etc., all of all of
whom prove in *every* single one of their posts in this thread that:
a. They have zero technical knowledge to effect a working solution, and,
b. Worse, they have absolutely no intent in any post ever being helpful.

(Just watch what crap they post continually and count the helpful ones.)

Snit: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 12 (and counting)
Nospam: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 10 (and counting)
Jolly Roger: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 6 (and counting)
Carlos ER: Helpful = 2; Trollcrap = 2
etc.

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 4:23:07 PM10/15/17
He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:29:41 +0200:

> If it is simple, try again in 12 lines. I'm not reading a hundred.

Hi Carlos,
In the hopes that you're not just wastefully trolling like Jolly Roger,
nospam, Peter Kohlman, and some of the others are (whom I will no longer
respond to), here's the short summary of what I have researched and for you
to review for effecting a freeware Samba-based solution that can be
leveraged to all platforms in a typical home WiFi environment.

1. Install Samba Server on Linux: How to Install and Test SAMBA on Linux
<https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html>

2. Install a freeware Samba (CIFS) client on Android:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andsmb>

3. Install a Samba freeware client on iOS (don't use "Tango", I'm told):
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/smb4ios/

4. Test the two-way connection between mobile-device client & Linux server:
Android: <http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/connect-to-samba-shares-from-android-with-andsmb/>
iOS: <https://help.lafayette.edu/samba/ipad>

--
I will not be responding to the trolls nor to anyone else, except to
further the *technical* discussion that aims toward a working

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 4:23:09 PM10/15/17
He who is Peter K+APY-hlmann said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 11:11:45 +-0200:
> And yes, you are a troll. A rather stupid one. And you don't use linux.

Marek knows otherwise as I have used *all* his vpn-based and network-based
scripts and even helped him debug them very many times and I have been
posting and testing on a.u.l for decades.

I have too much experience with useless trolls like you, Mr. Kohlman, who
accuse everyone else of being the trolls, are actually the trolls. The
proof is that *none* of your posts in this thread provide even a micron of
technical value.

As I am not a troll, I will not respond to any of your further trolling
posts (or those of the other trolls in this thread such as Jolly Roger,
nospam, etc., *none* of whom every know the answer to any question as they
have amply proven in all their posts - *every* one of which provided zero
useful information).

I will not be responding to any of your further trolls, nor of the other
trolls, or to anyone else, except to further the *technical* discussion
that aims toward a technical solution that works for everyone on any major
consumer platform.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 4:44:10 PM10/15/17
You offer some reasoned content at times, but more often than not you
are too busy attacking others, lying, and otherwise trolling.

The example of your goal post moving is a great example. You repeatedly
went from:

* Record screen AND voice AND device sounds without jail breaking.
Also record desktop screen and sound with the time coordinated.

* Recording the screen

Then you blamed ME for your actions. You trolled me. You lied. You can
try to twist that any way you want but you repeatedly did this idiocy.

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 15, 2017, 4:52:30 PM10/15/17
harry newton wrote:

> He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:29:41 +0200:
>
>> If it is simple, try again in 12 lines. I'm not reading a hundred.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> In the hopes that you're not just wastefully trolling like Jolly Roger,
> nospam, Peter Kohlman, and some of the others are (whom I will no longer
> respond to), here's the short summary of what I have researched and for
> you to review for effecting a freeware Samba-based solution that can be
> leveraged to all platforms in a typical home WiFi environment.
>
> 1. Install Samba Server on Linux: How to Install and Test SAMBA on Linux
> <https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html>

You are kidding, right?
This is basic stuff for every linux distro and done without your "how-tos"

Do you still actually claim that you are using linux? If you really did use
linux, you would know that you are bullshitting

Peter Köhlmann

Oct 15, 2017, 4:53:38 PM10/15/17
Idiot. You are fooling no one. You don't use linux

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 4:54:29 PM10/15/17
People can use Linux and do different tasks and have different areas of
knowledge than you do.

Heck, remember when you got confused as to what "Quit" and "Exit" did on
Linux. To me that seems VERY basic.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 15, 2017, 4:58:56 PM10/15/17
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <os0fl...@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
> <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> > You can't have 'root' (or whatever it's called) permission on *your*
> > OS X machine!?
>
> no need.

Yes, of course there isn't (for general use). But my question is, if he
*cannot* have/get permission and the obvious answer is that he can get
permission.

That in contrast to Android/iOS where one has to jump through hoops to
get root permission.

And yes I know 'why' that is, but it sucks.

> although there is a root account, it's disabled and not possible to log
> in. it can be enabled, but that's very stupid.
>
> apps will ask for authentication if needed. for example, a backup app
> would need to authenticate to be able to copy system files and other
> user's files.
>
> command line users can use sudo.

You don't say! Looks like an actual UNIX system! :-)

Frank Slootweg

Oct 15, 2017, 5:10:38 PM10/15/17
Peter Köhlmann <peter-k...@t-online.de> wrote:
[...]
> Idiot. You are fooling no one. You don't use linux

Easy does it!

He *does* use Linux. Also see Snit's response.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 15, 2017, 5:16:12 PM10/15/17
harry newton <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:
> He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:29:41 +0200:
>
> > If it is simple, try again in 12 lines. I'm not reading a hundred.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> In the hopes that you're not just wastefully trolling like Jolly Roger,
> nospam, Peter Kohlman, and some of the others are (whom I will no longer
> respond to), here's the short summary of what I have researched and for you
> to review for effecting a freeware Samba-based solution that can be
> leveraged to all platforms in a typical home WiFi environment.
>
> 1. Install Samba Server on Linux: How to Install and Test SAMBA on Linux
> <https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html>
>
> 2. Install a freeware Samba (CIFS) client on Android:
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andsmb>
>
> 3. Install a Samba freeware client on iOS (don't use "Tango", I'm told):
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/smb4ios/
>
> 4. Test the two-way connection between mobile-device client & Linux server:
> Android: <http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/connect-to-samba-shares-from-android-with-andsmb/>
> iOS: <https://help.lafayette.edu/samba/ipad>

And how are you going to *initiate* the file transfers/access from the
*desktop*!? Or have you moved the goalposts and made a 180 degree turn!?

Carlos E.R.

Oct 15, 2017, 6:04:12 PM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 22:23, harry newton wrote:
> He who is Carlos E.R. said on Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:29:41 +0200:
>
>> If it is simple, try again in 12 lines. I'm not reading a hundred.
>
> Hi Carlos,
> In the hopes that you're not just wastefully trolling like Jolly Roger,
> nospam, Peter Kohlman, and some of the others are (whom I will no longer
> respond to), here's the short summary of what I have researched and for you
> to review for effecting a freeware Samba-based solution that can be
> leveraged to all platforms in a typical home WiFi environment.
>
> 1. Install Samba Server on Linux: How to Install and Test SAMBA on Linux
>
> <https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html>
>
> 2. Install a freeware Samba (CIFS) client on Android:
>   <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andsmb>
>
> 3. Install a Samba freeware client on iOS (don't use "Tango", I'm told):
>   <https://sourceforge.net/projects/smb4ios/
>
> 4. Test the two-way connection between mobile-device client & Linux server:
>   Android:
> <http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/smartphones/connect-to-samba-shares-from-android-with-andsmb/>
>
>   iOS: <https://help.lafayette.edu/samba/ipad>

You have not answered my question at all. You wrote about something else.

What is the simple problem you want to solve? In 12 lines, please.

No, writing /etc/hosts is not the problem. That's your solution.

Why do you want to, from the desktop computer, initiate a, I suppose,
download of the photos of all those mobile devices in your network,
without the users of those devices doing anything?

I would be quite angry at someone doing it, so please explain why we
should help you do it.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 15, 2017, 6:20:13 PM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 22:23, harry newton wrote:
> He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 16:25:05 GMT:
>
>>   But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
>> Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
>> *desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
>> that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.
>
> The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
> system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.
>
> This is a useful goal.

Why do you want to mount the *entire* filesystem, from the desktop,
without the owner/user of the device initiating it?

Please give valid and legal reason.

> Frank is correct in that I have effected one working solution already,
> which seems to work fine but where the server is on the mobile device.
>
> Based on advice here, I'm working on another solution as we speak
> (explained in more detail elsewhere in this thread) where the server is on
> the destkop Linux box, which may work even better than when the server is
> on the mobile device.
>
> This is the summary solution I'm working on at the moment:
> 1. Install & configure & test a freeware Samba SMB (CIFS) server on Linux

Linux comes out of the box with samba client and server software.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 6:31:23 PM10/15/17
Please consider stop trolling. Thanks!

joe

Oct 15, 2017, 8:32:34 PM10/15/17

On 10/15/2017 03:23 PM, harry newton wrote:
> He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 16:25:05 GMT:
>
>> But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
>> Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
>> *desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
>> that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.
>
> The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
> system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.

Doesn't that open up the mobile device to malicious hacking by anyone on
that LAN? It may be fine at 'home' but anywhere else can be a problem.
Leave the server running and connect to another LAN and your mobile
device is seriously compromised.

> This is a useful goal.

That could be debated as most would not need this level of access.
Anyone who cares about device security might find this very questionable.

> Frank is correct in that I have effected one working solution already,
> which seems to work fine but where the server is on the mobile device.
>
> Based on advice here, I'm working on another solution as we speak
> (explained in more detail elsewhere in this thread) where the server is on
> the destkop Linux box, which may work even better than when the server is
> on the mobile device.

If it is the client running on the mobile device, you can't achieve what
this thread is supposedly about. This change in direction makes it clear
you don't understand your needs well enough to go asking others for
help. It also may significantly change the 'goal' and its usefulness.

> This is the summary solution I'm working on at the moment:
> 1. Install & configure & test a freeware Samba SMB (CIFS) server on Linux
> 2. Install & configure & test SMB freeware on Android
> 3. Locate if possible & install & test SMB freeware on iOS
> The reason for freeware is to leverage to all households.

You really need to understand what sandboxing in iOS is and how it might
impact your desired objective.

You are thinking 'solution' before you understand the 'requirement',
'limitations' and 'available tools' to implement your requirement.

> Frank's post above was a well meant clarification, but I will not be
> responding to any posts by nospam, Snit, Jolly Roger, etc., all of all of
> whom prove in *every* single one of their posts in this thread that:
> a. They have zero technical knowledge to effect a working solution, and,
> b. Worse, they have absolutely no intent in any post ever being helpful.
>
> (Just watch what crap they post continually and count the helpful ones.)
>
> Snit: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 12 (and counting)
> Nospam: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 10 (and counting)
> Jolly Roger: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 6 (and counting)
> Carlos ER: Helpful = 2; Trollcrap = 2 etc.

As again, you berate others.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2017, 9:22:18 PM10/15/17
And if he was a respectable Linux user, he'd know that. How ironic that he
constantly claims he is the smartest person while belittling iOS and Mac
users. For those of us who are very familiar with Linux and Android, he's
nothing more than a fucking moron troll.

JF Mezei

Oct 15, 2017, 9:22:47 PM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 10:13, sms wrote:

> rooted phones. One I used a lot in the past, when I didn't have much
> data, is an app that lets you specify which apps are allowed to use
> cellular data and which apps are allowed to use Wi-Fi data.

IOS has built-in settings on a per app granularity on whether allowed to
use cellular data opr not. No need to jailhbreak iPhone for that.

JF Mezei

Oct 15, 2017, 9:32:57 PM10/15/17
On 2017-10-15 16:23, harry newton wrote:

> The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
> system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.

And you've been told that this cannot be achieved on a non-jailbroken
iPhone. Period. And IOS app not only can't open port 445 to listen, but
also doesn't see the file system. It is rooted to its own directory, so
to it, "/" refers to the app directory and it has nop means to see what
is above it.

This is only possible on jailbroken iphones where the smb/afp/ftp/nfs
servers can run as unix app outside the GUI.

nospam

Oct 15, 2017, 9:36:06 PM10/15/17
In article <59e40c46$0$1975$b1db1813$4ef1...@news.astraweb.com>, JF
Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

> > The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
> > system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.
>
> And you've been told that this cannot be achieved on a non-jailbroken
> iPhone. Period.

yes it can

> And IOS app not only can't open port 445 to listen,

yes it can

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwWkC9P7hk>

other apps available too.

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 9:45:48 PM10/15/17
On 10/15/17, 5:32 PM, in article os0umv$1bvk$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "joe"
<no...@domain.invalid> wrote:

>> Frank's post above was a well meant clarification, but I will not be
>> responding to any posts by nospam, Snit, Jolly Roger, etc., all of all of
>> whom prove in *every* single one of their posts in this thread that:
>> a. They have zero technical knowledge to effect a working solution, and,
>> b. Worse, they have absolutely no intent in any post ever being helpful.
>>
>> (Just watch what crap they post continually and count the helpful ones.)
>>
>> Snit: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 12 (and counting)
>> Nospam: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 10 (and counting)
>> Jolly Roger: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 6 (and counting)
>> Carlos ER: Helpful = 2; Trollcrap = 2 etc.
>
> As again, you berate others.

He belittles those who have shown him to be wrong.

Jolly Roger

Oct 15, 2017, 10:27:16 PM10/15/17
joe <no...@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On 10/15/2017 03:23 PM, harry newton wrote:
>> He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 16:25:05 GMT:
>>
>>> But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
>>> Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
>>> *desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
>>> that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.
>>
>> The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
>> system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.
>
> Doesn't that open up the mobile device to malicious hacking by anyone on
> that LAN? It may be fine at 'home' but anywhere else can be a problem.
> Leave the server running and connect to another LAN and your mobile
> device is seriously compromised.
>
> Anyone who cares about device security might find this very questionable.

Waisted time. He's proven time and again he doesn't care at all about
security.

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 11:16:26 PM10/15/17
He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 21:16:11 GMT:

> And how are you going to *initiate* the file transfers/access from the
> *desktop*!? Or have you moved the goalposts and made a 180 degree turn!?

Frank,

This is a good point - and one that I need to reflect upon.

Bear in mind, I always solve the problem (as you and Marek well know over
the years), but that I'm not proposing a solution yet.

I'm still asking about possible solutions.

Unfortunately, this thread is 99% noise and only 1% technical advice
because the clueless trolls, Kohlmann, Snit, nospam, Jolly Roger, etc.,
have infested it, so I'm only responding to the purposefully helpful posts.

Unlike that utter moron Peter Kohlmann (who appears to be a bona-fide idiot
based only on what he writes, and hence worthless to anyone), what you
write, at least make sense (e.g., your reasoned response to Snit's always
factless but increasingly emotional meaningless tirades about Android
recording, as if it can't handle system & ambient sound when he knows it
does).

Someone suggested SMB in this thread (although I don't remember who without
looking back so it could just have been one of the potential options) so
I'm just exploring the possibilities (e.g., someone suggested FUSE too, but
it doesn't seem to pan out realistically).

As you know, I already have the FTP solution working, where, as you know,
the entire available mobile device file system is accessible to the desktop
over WiFi using the native Nautilus (or Dolphin) file explorer.

The only reason for exploring Samba is to see if that's a viable solution,
where you are correct that the server would run on Linux and the clients
would be on the mobile devices.

I'm still in the experimentation stage, but I won't be posting to this
thread as it's horridly infested by the trolls (Kohlmann, Snit, Jolly
Roger, nospam, etc.) and therefore has only 1% purposefully helpful posts.

harry newton

Oct 15, 2017, 11:41:23 PM10/15/17
He who is harry newton said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 03:16:25 +0000 (UTC):

> The only reason for exploring Samba is to see if that's a viable solution,
> where you are correct that the server would run on Linux and the clients
> would be on the mobile devices.

BTW, to whomever it was who insisted Samba is already installed on Ubuntu,
it's not native on the version I happen to be testing...(although it's
easily enough added).
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/16/smb.jpg>

Snit

Oct 15, 2017, 11:43:32 PM10/15/17
On 10/15/17, 8:16 PM, in article os18a9$1mrn$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "harry
newton" <ha...@is.invalid> wrote:

> He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 21:16:11 GMT:
>
>> And how are you going to *initiate* the file transfers/access from the
>> *desktop*!? Or have you moved the goalposts and made a 180 degree turn!?
>
> Frank,
>
> This is a good point - and one that I need to reflect upon.
>
> Bear in mind, I always solve the problem (as you and Marek well know over
> the years), but that I'm not proposing a solution yet.
>
> I'm still asking about possible solutions.
>
> Unfortunately, this thread is 99% noise and only 1% technical advice
> because the clueless trolls, Kohlmann, Snit, nospam, Jolly Roger, etc.,
> have infested it, so I'm only responding to the purposefully helpful posts.

Face it... your continued attacks prove you want attention more than any
technical help or advice.

With me, you are pissed I caught you lying about the tasks I talked about
that Android does not handle as well. Went against your dishonest narrative.

harry newton

Oct 16, 2017, 1:36:10 AM10/16/17
He who is Frank Slootweg said on 14 Oct 2017 18:16:10 GMT:

> AFAIK, Linux - and OS X for that matter - can access a SMB Network
> Share with a port number other than 445 (the port number Windows uses).
>
> If that's correct, I think SMB on the Linux (and OS X) client(s) and a
> SMB server on the Android (and iOS?) devices is the simplest and
> cleanest solution.
>
> SMB is a common and good way to access Network Shares on/from/to
> multiple platforms. For example many NAS products use SMB for Windows,
> Linux, OS X, Android and iOS clients.

I'm testing out Samba to empirically see what power it affords us.

I've used Samba on SunOS and Solaris, but that was more than a decade ago,
where I found it a powerful way to interface the PCs along with CAP for the
Macs, so that everyone could share the same distiller directory.

But it has been at least a decade or more since I have touched it on UNIX.

I'll experiment to see what power it can give us, as just having a tool in
hand and knowing better how to use it often suggests possibilities.

Neither the samba server nor the smb client were native on Ubuntu 16.04LTS
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/16/smb.jpg>

But they were both easily added, which resulted in a default smb.conf file
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/16/smb22ce71.jpg>

Here's the running log so far, where the net is that I need to debug why
Windows isn't seeing the Samba server on Linux yet (I haven't tested
Android or iOS yet to see if they can see the Linux server becuase I
figured Windows would be the easier test to run first.)

Determine your Windows workgroup on Windows 10 Pro:
Start > Run > sysdm.cpl
Full computer name = harry
Workgroup = WORKGROUP

Install and configure Samba on Ubuntu:
$ hostname
REPORTS: x
$ sudo apt install samba
$ sudo apt install smbclient
$ which samba smbclient
REPORTS: /usr/bin/{samba,smbclient}
$ smbd -b | grep smb.conf
REPORTS: CONFIGFILE /etc/samba/smb.conf

Edit that smb.conf configuration file:
$ sudo updatedb; locate smb.conf
REPORTS: /etc/samba/smb.conf
$ sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig
$ sudo vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = x
[tmp]
path = /tmp
browseable = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0775
create mask = 0775

Test the smb.conf for errors:
$ testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
$ sudo service smbd restart
$ smbclient -L x -N
$ smbclient //x/x
REPORTS: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter x's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
$ smbclient //x/tmp
REPORTS: WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated
Enter x's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
$ sudo ifconfig (set the IP address on Linux to 192.168.1.43)
$ nmblookup -B x __SAMBA__
REPORTS: querying __SAMBA__ on 127.0.1.1
192.168.1.43 __SAMBA__<00>
$ nmblookup -d 2 '*'
REPORTS: Got a positive query response from 192.168.1.43
$ nmblookup -M WORKGROUP
REPORTS: 192.168.1.43 WORKGROUP<1d>

SMB clients should be able to access the Linux /tmp directory using:

Start > Run > cmd
C:\> ipconfig (confirm the IP address on Windows is 192.168.1.11)
C:\> net use m: \\x\tmp
REPORTS: System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

C:\> net view \\X
REPORTS: System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

I need to debug further...

Carlos E.R.

Oct 16, 2017, 6:44:12 AM10/16/17
On 2017-10-16 02:32, joe wrote:

> On 10/15/2017 03:23 PM, harry newton wrote:
>> He who is Frank Slootweg said on 15 Oct 2017 16:25:05 GMT:
>>
>>>   But even more importantly, he wants to copy the iOS/Android files to
>>> Windows/Linux/OS X, but he wants [1] to perform the operation from the
>>> *desktop* OS. In your video, the *mobile* device initiates the copy. For
>>> that type of transfer, there's a multitude of solutions.
>>
>> The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
>> system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.
>
> Doesn't that open up the mobile device to malicious hacking by anyone on
> that LAN?  It may be fine at 'home' but anywhere else can be a problem.
> Leave the server running and connect to another LAN and your mobile
> device is seriously compromised.

Indeed.

>> This is a useful goal.
>
> That could be debated as most would not need this level of access.
> Anyone who cares about device security might find this very questionable.

And privacy.

He wants to implement this on his grandchildren phones. I'd be very
worried.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 16, 2017, 6:52:11 AM10/16/17
On 2017-10-16 07:36, harry newton wrote:
> He who is Frank Slootweg said on 14 Oct 2017 18:16:10 GMT:
>
>>   AFAIK, Linux - and OS X for that matter - can access a SMB Network
>> Share with a port number other than 445 (the port number Windows uses).
>>
>>   If that's correct, I think SMB on the Linux (and OS X) client(s) and a
>> SMB server on the Android (and iOS?) devices is the simplest and
>> cleanest solution.
>>
>>   SMB is a common and good way to access Network Shares on/from/to
>> multiple platforms. For example many NAS products use SMB for Windows,
>> Linux, OS X, Android and iOS clients.
>
> I'm testing out Samba to empirically see what power it affords us.
>
> I've used Samba on SunOS and Solaris, but that was more than a decade ago,
> where I found it a powerful way to interface the PCs along with CAP for the
> Macs, so that everyone could share the same distiller directory.
>
> But it has been at least a decade or more since I have touched it on UNIX.
>
> I'll experiment to see what power it can give us, as just having a tool in
> hand and knowing better how to use it often suggests possibilities.
>
> Neither the samba server nor the smb client were native on Ubuntu 16.04LTS
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/16/smb.jpg>

False. If you'd know any Linux, you'd know this is false. Maybe not out
of the box, but certainly native.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 16, 2017, 6:56:12 AM10/16/17
False. Samba is certainly native in Linux. Maybe not out of the box,
depending on the distribution - as your photo proves.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Caver1

Oct 16, 2017, 9:10:18 AM10/16/17
You also have that capability with Android.

--
Caver1

Frank Slootweg

Oct 16, 2017, 3:34:30 PM10/16/17
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/17, 5:32 PM, in article os0umv$1bvk$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "joe"
> <no...@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> Frank's post above was a well meant clarification, but I will not be
> >> responding to any posts by nospam, Snit, Jolly Roger, etc., all of all of
> >> whom prove in *every* single one of their posts in this thread that:
> >> a. They have zero technical knowledge to effect a working solution, and,
> >> b. Worse, they have absolutely no intent in any post ever being helpful.
> >>
> >> (Just watch what crap they post continually and count the helpful ones.)
> >>
> >> Snit: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 12 (and counting)
> >> Nospam: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 10 (and counting)
> >> Jolly Roger: Helpful = 0; Trollcrap = 6 (and counting)
> >> Carlos ER: Helpful = 2; Trollcrap = 2 etc.
> >
> > As again, you berate others.
>
> He belittles those who have shown him to be wrong.

And he's so obsessed with (his current list of) The Bad Guys (TM),
that he doesn't even notice/realize when they actually *solve* (part of)
his problem, as nospam has done by pointing to SMB-on-port-445 servers
for iOS.

It's very telling that after this partial solution, he turned around
which type of device is the client and which type of device is the
server.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 16, 2017, 3:42:47 PM10/16/17
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> On 2017-10-15 16:23, harry newton wrote:
>
> > The goal is to simply to mount the entire available mobile device file
> > system on the Linux desktop over the typical home WiFi LAN.
>
> And you've been told that this cannot be achieved on a non-jailbroken
> iPhone. Period. And IOS app not only can't open port 445 to listen,

The one doing the telling was probably me. If so, let that be a lesson
not to listen to me, because I was wrong! :-)

See nospam's response to you and our (nospam's and my) disussion in
the sister ".... on the Mac" thread.

[...]

Snit

Oct 16, 2017, 3:48:48 PM10/16/17
On 10/16/17, 12:34 PM, in article
os38ks...@ID-201911.user.individual.net, "Frank Slootweg"
He wants to prove that there are things Android does better than iOS, a
claim I do not think anyone denies. But he also wants to pretend that iOS
does nothing that Android does not, which has been disproved many times.

He also ignores anything dealing with ease of use (with the possible
exception of if Android happens to be easier -- which it is for some
things).

Jolly Roger

Oct 16, 2017, 4:00:13 PM10/16/17
His behavior in these news groups is nothing new. He's been trolling a long
time here under numerous and never ending nyms.

Carlos E.R.

Oct 17, 2017, 7:12:11 AM10/17/17
On 2017-10-16 22:00, Jolly Roger wrote:
> His behavior in these news groups is nothing new. He's been trolling a long
> time here under numerous and never ending nyms.

Some one could publish those nyms, for easier tracking in a single
filter ;-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Snit

Oct 17, 2017, 2:32:16 PM10/17/17
On 10/17/17, 4:08 AM, in article 5v4hbe-...@Telcontar.valinor, "Carlos
He just keeps coming up with more.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 17, 2017, 3:11:34 PM10/17/17
Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> wrote:
> On 10/17/17, 4:08 AM, in article 5v4hbe-...@Telcontar.valinor, "Carlos
> E.R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 2017-10-16 22:00, Jolly Roger wrote:
> >> His behavior in these news groups is nothing new. He's been trolling a long
> >> time here under numerous and never ending nyms.
> >
> > Some one could publish those nyms, for easier tracking in a single
> > filter ;-)
>
> He just keeps coming up with more.

But he's so easy to recognize, it's only a bit annoying , but not a
problem, to filter him.

Snit

Oct 17, 2017, 3:28:35 PM10/17/17
On 10/17/17, 12:11 PM, in article
os5rlq...@ID-201911.user.individual.net, "Frank Slootweg"
He does SOMETIMES ask reasonable questions... but that is a part of his
hooking people. Then he makes things up and lies (as is easily quoted) and
pretends that never happened. I mean, really, if he just said he made a
mistake I would accept it and that would be the end of it -- but he will
NEVER do that.

J.O. Aho

Oct 17, 2017, 3:34:31 PM10/17/17
On 10/14/17 13:38, harry newton wrote:
> How best to mount the entire mobile device file system on Linux
>
> I want to mount my mobile devices (both iOS and Android) on Linux
> (Ubuntu 16.04) over the local LAN (i.e., over Wi-Fi) so I would like to
> know the "basic" approach.

For Android I would recommend you look at kdeconnect, it has mounting
file system, allow you to get notifications from the device and from the
device you can control media applications, keyboard, mouse and you can
share clipboard between device and computer.

There was some work done on an ios version of kdeconnect, no clue about
status and how well it works.

--

//Aho

harry newton

Oct 18, 2017, 10:15:24 AM10/18/17
He who is Caver1 said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 09:10:16 -0400:

>> IOS has built-in settings on a per app granularity on whether allowed to
>> use cellular data opr not. No need to jailhbreak iPhone for that.
>>

> You also have that capability with Android.

Hi Caver,

It's not a big deal, but a distinction point is that just disabling
cellular doesn't disable the Internet.

This is an aside from the home-network question, but one difference between
this related capability between Android & iOS is the following which we've
listed in the past, which is that Android can *also*...
. Disable the Internet (not just cellular data) by app (software switch)

Please note that the iOS apologists, in response, will say anything, i.e.,
just witness what the trolls nospam, Jolly Roger, Snit, etc., will say, but
ask them to *prove* that iOS can disable the Internet (not just cellular)
per app via a software switch.

harry newton

Oct 18, 2017, 10:15:26 AM10/18/17
He who is Carlos E.R. said on Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:53:55 +0200:

> False. Samba is certainly native in Linux. Maybe not out of the box,
> depending on the distribution - as your photo proves.

Hi Carlos,

You're delving into not-all-that-meaningful minor issues at this point
because Samba won't run "out of the box" but it will run quickly
thereafter, at least on the Ubuntu 16.04LTS that I'm using.

What's more important is whether Samba adds any value to a typical home
network where there are mobile devices floating in and out of a WiFi local
network.

I didn't attack the problem yesterday but Samba running on Ubuntu isn't
working as I had planned yet, so have no other added value to report where
I won't be responding in this thread until there's added value to impart or
a non-troll advice to respond to.

The well-known trolls (Jolly Roger, nospam, Snit, Peter Kohlmann, etc.)
have already destroyed the technical value of the thread anyway, which is
their goal and where they can always win due to attrition tactics and
numbers.

Snit

Oct 18, 2017, 10:38:12 AM10/18/17
On 10/18/17, 7:15 AM, in article os7nlp$lc3$1...@gioia.aioe.org, "harry newton"
Please stop trolling for attention from me.
It is loading more messages.