What's the best way to forward SMB TCP port 445 to something higher than 1024 on Windows?

Arlen Holder

Oct 14, 2018, 1:24:16 PM10/14/18
Do you have experience port forwarding SMB ports on Windows?
Specifically forwarding SMB/CIFs TCP port 445 to higher than 1024?

If so, which port forwarding hints might you offer to a noob?

The problem set:
o Windows is "stuck" listening for SMB/CIFs on TCP port 445.
o Non-root Android is "stuck" not allowing apps access to 1-1024.

The "trick" is to get Windows to "listen" on 445 & forward to 1234.
Of course, the other trick is to get Android to send on TCP 1234.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers>

*Have you experience actually doing that exact task for this purpose?*
If you've actually _done_ it, then can you advise what's best?

For example, I found a tutorial on the net but it used a virtual machine,
which is too much overhead for what I'm trying to accomplish (IMHO).

I'm thinking of this general process where I hope you have done it:
a. Run an as-yet-unknown setup to ensure Windows can port forward
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/555744>
<There are some indications certain services need to be disabled.>
etc.
b. Set up a free port mapper such as netsh, PortTunnel or Passport:
<http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=34>]
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/pjs-passport/>
<http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pmapper/freeware.htm>
<http://woshub.com/port-forwarding-in-windows/>
netsh interface portproxy add Samba listenport=445 listenaddress=192.168.1.2 connectport=1234 connectaddress=192.168.0.3 protocol=tcp
etc.
c. Debug inevitable issues with any free TCP viewer
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview>
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9964>
etc.

Do you have experience port forwarding SMB ports on Windows?
Specifically forwarding SMB/CIFs TCP port 445 to higher than 1024?

If so, what helpful advice can you provide sufficient to be successful?

--
If you're Rudy Wieser, Char Jackson, Wolf K, etc., please do not respond.

Andy Burns

Oct 16, 2018, 8:06:25 PM10/16/18
Arlen Holder wrote:

> Do you have experience port forwarding SMB ports on Windows?

Yes, when I needed to map a drive over an SSH tunnel.

netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=xxx
listenaddress=192.168.xx.xx connectaddress=192.168.yy.yy connectport=yyy

Because the lanmanserver service starts early and binds to 445 on all
interfaces, you may need to install a virtual kernel NIC driver in order
to get an interface with a "spare" IP address to listen on, it was
available from MS last time I needed it on Win7, not sure about Win10.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2018, 12:26:27 PM10/18/18
Thanks for the confirmation of the best solution for port forwarding on
Windows being the "netsh" command.

I tried to test the netsh command, but I failed, where the failure was due
to the lack of a suitable SMB server on Android that works with Windows
without being root since Windows only uses TCP port 445 but non-rooted
Android apps can't use any port lower than 1024:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/CZolwHVb0-c>

The command you suggested is similar to the one I concocted in the OP:
netsh interface portproxy add Samba listenport=445 listenaddress=192.168.1.2 connectport=1234 connectaddress=192.168.0.3 protocol=tcp
netsh interface portproxy add v4tov4 listenport=xxx listenaddress=192.168.xx.xx connectaddress=192.168.yy.yy connectport=yyy

I wasn't able to test my concocted command because I can't yet find an SMB
server that works on non-rooted Android.

I had concocted that (untested) netsh command based on this reference:
<https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/1705/using-smb-server-without-root-access>
Which, itself, referenced the tutorial here:
<https://techforpassion.blogspot.com/2013/12/android-how-to-share-folder-over-wifi.html>
Which failed miserably due to the lack of that SMB server working on Nougat
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.sambaserver>

To be clear, "if" we can find an SMB server that works non root, then we
could move to the stage of testing out the "netsh" command empirically.

But that particularly SMB server clearly doesn't work on Nougat based on my
tests, and based on a bunch of the reviews, which show exactly what I see:
Andy Gaskell, May 31, 2017
"I used this App on a Moto G4 and it worked really well. Then I tried it
on a Moto G5 and when I click "Add" -> "SMB Server" the app just hangs
with a blank black screen. I guess this might be an Android 7
permissions problem. So, great on the Moto G4, but not working at all
on the Moto G5."

Marc Ritz, September 9, 2018
"Doesn't work. Using Nougat. Just get a black screen when trying to
add a server. Doesn't even ask for superuser rights up to that point."

The problem is that this particular SMB server is the _only_ server that
the authors of the tutorial found that worked at the time that tutorial was
written (which was December 16, 2013), but that particular SMB server
clearly does not work with Nougat, and, that server clearly hasn't been
updated in a long time.

For SMB to work, we need to find a solution that will allow us to
a. On Android, run a non-root Samba/SMB server to listen on port 7777
b. On Windows, run port-forwarding software to listen on port 445
c On Windows, forward the SMB connections to port 7777

So here's my plan, for SMB, to solve this age-old problem for everyone:
1. I'll keep seeking a non-root SMB server for Android, and,
2. Then, I'll run the netsh command on Windows to forward ports.

The port forwarding for Windows is "on hold" until I can find an
SMB server that works on Android non-root with ports above 1024.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 18, 2018, 2:13:14 PM10/18/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:
[...]

> For SMB to work, we need to find a solution that will allow us to
> a. On Android, run a non-root Samba/SMB server to listen on port 7777
> b. On Windows, run port-forwarding software to listen on port 445
> c On Windows, forward the SMB connections to port 7777
>
> So here's my plan, for SMB, to solve this age-old problem for everyone:
> 1. I'll keep seeking a non-root SMB server for Android, and,
> 2. Then, I'll run the netsh command on Windows to forward ports.
>
> The port forwarding for Windows is "on hold" until I can find an
> SMB server that works on Android non-root with ports above 1024.

I re-checked my notes and at the time, I looked at:

'SMB cifs samba file server'
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>
"Uses Standard port 445 for rooted devices and automatically
selects a suitable port for non-rooted devices."

I didn't proceed with this, for the very reason you are now
investigating, the need to map port 445 to a port number above 1024.

Perhaps 'SMB cifs samba file server' is a candidate for you to
investigate.

Good luck.

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2018, 3:59:49 PM10/18/18
On 18 Oct 2018 18:13:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> I re-checked my notes and at the time, I looked at:
>
> 'SMB cifs samba file server'
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>
> "Uses Standard port 445 for rooted devices and automatically
> selects a suitable port for non-rooted devices."
>
> I didn't proceed with this, for the very reason you are now
> investigating, the need to map port 445 to a port number above 1024.
>
> Perhaps 'SMB cifs samba file server' is a candidate for you to
> investigate.

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your helpful advice.

Given that we seek a general solution that works for most people,
you're correct that the way to approach solving this age-old problem
is in two parts, where we (first) find an Android SMB server that can work
on ports higher than 1024 on Nougat and above without being root, and then
we (second) map Windows SMB TCP requests to be on the same higher-than-1024
port (e.g., 7777).

Unfortunately, that com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver APK isn't on Google
Play, or on F-Droid, so, while both problems are formidable, we're stuck
with no resolution until we can find an SMB server for Android that can
change the port without being root.

Once we get an SMB server working, we can map Windows TCP port 445<->7777.
So we're all stuck, until we can find an SMB server that works sans root.

Frank Slootweg

Oct 18, 2018, 4:42:43 PM10/18/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2018 18:13:13 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
> > I re-checked my notes and at the time, I looked at:
> >
> > 'SMB cifs samba file server'
> > <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>
> > "Uses Standard port 445 for rooted devices and automatically
> > selects a suitable port for non-rooted devices."
> >
> > I didn't proceed with this, for the very reason you are now
> > investigating, the need to map port 445 to a port number above 1024.
> >
> > Perhaps 'SMB cifs samba file server' is a candidate for you to
> > investigate.
>
> Hi Frank,
> Thanks for your helpful advice.
>
> Given that we seek a general solution that works for most people,
> you're correct that the way to approach solving this age-old problem
> is in two parts, where we (first) find an Android SMB server that can work
> on ports higher than 1024 on Nougat and above without being root, and then
> we (second) map Windows SMB TCP requests to be on the same higher-than-1024
> port (e.g., 7777).
>
> Unfortunately, that com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver APK isn't on Google
> Play, or on F-Droid,

Hmmm!? I thought I checked the Google Play URL before posting, but
apparently I didn't.

If you want to have a look at it, the APK *is. - of course! :-) - on
Apkpure:

<https://apkpure.com/smb-cifs-samba-file-server/com.imperioustech.www.sambaserver>

That it's no longer on Google Play and rather old (2015-12-12) is not
very promising. But as - so far - you're empty-handed...

Arlen Holder

Oct 18, 2018, 5:55:53 PM10/18/18
On 18 Oct 2018 20:42:41 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> That it's no longer on Google Play and rather old (2015-12-12) is not
> very promising. But as - so far - you're empty-handed...

Hi Frank Slootweg,

Thanks for finding that APK for us.
I realize it's difficult as nobody seems to have an SMB server that works.

The goal is a general solution to run any Windows command on Android files.
(Nobody is going to solve anything without understanding that is the goal.)

That means we need a drive letter (I think) on Windows.
In other words, the Android device has to show up as a "removable drive".

That's easy to do (I've done it) but it's not easy as a general solution.

Hence we're breaking new ground (as usual).
Nobody knows how to do this ... yet.

Most of the people who responded to the last thread, simply responded to
keywords. They never even understood the problem. They responded to
keywords the same way they respond to those keywords every time they see
them. They didn't even read the words between the keywords.

You know this to be true Frank, where, so far, only you and Paul (and maybe
a couple of others) have shown any comprehension of the problem set.

The goal is a general purpose solution for every user to run any Windows
command on the Android file system over USB (which means it needs to be
mounted as a drive letter, as far as I understand things on Windows).

If we can't get USB, then we'll take WiFi over SMB.
If we can't get SMB, then we already have plenty of solutions that work.

So that, in a nutshell, is the entire problem set, outlined in order.

Thanks for understanding that breaking new ground is never easy, where the
goal is a _general_ solution for everyone. (That's _always_ the goal, by
the way, which is why what I do is _harder_ than what most people do.)

At the risk of elevating the detail level of this thread well over the
heads of 99% of the people here, I'll state the obvious which is that I
already have a whole bunch of working solutions (in best-to-worst order):
o *LibMTP freeware* works _perfectly_ on Linux (as you know)
o *MTPDrive payware* works perfectly fine on Windows (as you know)
o *MTPDrive crippleware* works reasonably well on Windows (as you know)
o *WebDav servers* work ok on Android (using Windows network locations)
o *FTP servers* work ok on Android (again, using Windows network locations)
... (there are plenty of other servers such as ssh, adb, http, etc.)
o *SMB servers* would mount as drive letters (but they have other problems)

I'll repeat that I already have multiple solutions that work great for me.
That's not the problem set.

*The problem set is a _general_ solution that works for everyone.*

To that end, I see only three viable approaches:
1. Find an MTPDrive alternative (such as libMTP) for Windows
2. Find an SMB solution that works on both Android & Windows

M.L.

Oct 20, 2018, 12:04:47 AM10/20/18

>Once we get an SMB server working, we can map Windows TCP port 445<->7777.
>So we're all stuck, until we can find an SMB server that works sans root.

Keep in mind that Windows 10 no longer supports SMBv1. You must find
an android app that uses SMBv2 to communicate with Windows 10.

Paul

Oct 20, 2018, 12:37:20 AM10/20/18
Well, that's easy enough to check.

Yup, still there.

https://i.postimg.cc/0Q3YmL6p/smbv1-17763-55.gif

Win10 asks for authentication more than it should.
There is a patch for WinXP for SMBV1, which when I
applied it, broke sharing. The Win10 end was sending
"Need More Information" as a status back to the WinXP
machine, before refusing to talk to it. I removed
the patch and the connection worked again.

Lots of ways to break it, that's for sure.

But the mechanical bits... are still there. It's
up to the user to puzzle out, why it's not working
today :-)

As Char as pointed out in the past, lots and lots of
broken networking cases, can be solved by using
IP address notation

\\192.168.7.23\datadisk

instead of

\\bob\datadisk

as the latter needs an additional subsystem to
translate symbolic to numeric address. On a Linux
box (one where they didn't care), that typical gets
it running for you, using the IP address of
the server. There have been some Linux distros with
perfectly working and very nice file sharing (both
client *and* server!), but there is no consistency
from release to release on the topic. It's a shame
really.

Paul

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2018, 3:21:00 PM10/21/18
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 00:37:18 -0400, Paul wrote:

> \\192.168.7.23\datadisk
>
> instead of
>
> \\bob\datadisk

Hi Paul,
Can you help unstuck us on doublebackslash syntax?

The doublebackslash syntax works _great_ with WebDAV servers on Android:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8605173dir05.jpg>
For example this mounts Android filesystems over WiFi as a removable drive:
net use X: \\192.168.1.6@8080\DavWWWRoot\
NOTE: This has a huge advantage that "DavWWWRoot" is a WebDAV keyword!

But, I can't figure out the doublebackslash syntax for FTP servers!
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4785408ftpshare01.jpg>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8734999ftpshare02.jpg>

This doubleslash syntax works just fine as a "network location"
(Using the default of "francis" for both the login & passwd.)
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.6:2221
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4785408ftpshare01.jpg>

But I can't, for the life of me, figure out the doublebackslash syntax!
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8734999ftpshare02.jpg>
Since these syntax attempts fail every time for me:
dir \\francis:fra...@192.168.1.6:2221
net use \\192.168.1.6@2221\Root
etc.

I suspect DOS will work just fine, if we can just figure out the syntax.
Can you, or anyone, help us figure out the FTP doublebackslash syntax?

Paul

Oct 21, 2018, 4:42:22 PM10/21/18
Mapping a share to a drive letter, works for smb.

https://www.howtogeek.com/118452/how-to-map-network-drives-from-the-command-prompt-in-windows/

FTP is a different URI and protocol.

There's an example of mapping an FTP site here.
I'm not convinced this is exactly what you want.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-an-ftp-drive-windows

When they do it here, it doesn't have a drive letter.
What exactly has been mapped ? What is the access syntax ?
Explorer is supporting the URI, rather than some other
layer.

http://cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-map-a-ftp-to-a-drive-in-windows/

I would have to set up an FTP server to test. Something
I don't normally keep running here.

This goes to a whole bunch more trouble to achieve
that result. It's an "ftp use" equivalent to "net use",
complete with adding what appears to be a parallel stack
for storage. This appears to be free.

https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html

Paul

Arlen Holder

Oct 21, 2018, 6:48:00 PM10/21/18
On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 16:42:22 -0400, Paul wrote:

> Mapping a share to a drive letter, works for smb.
> https://www.howtogeek.com/118452/how-to-map-network-drives-from-the-command-prompt-in-windows/

Hi Paul,

I appreciate you're trying to help, since this is the holy grail for
mounting FTP "shares" over WiFi as a drive letter on Windows using nothing
on Windows but the native "net use" command (which we _know_ must work!).

I'm sorry this is so complex - where I think only Frank Slootweg and I seem
to have a clear handle on the complexity.

With respect to mounting Android FTP "shares" as a drive letter on Windows
using "net use" syntax.. the problem, as I see it, is _only_ of syntax.
Nothing else.

The reason I say it must be syntax is that it works sometimes.
And it fails sometimes.

Specifically...
For mapping Android FTP servers over WiFi to a drive letter, these work:
o Windows NetDrive freeware
o Windows DirectNetDrive freeware

For mapping Android FTP servers over WiFi to a drive letter, these fail:
o Windows native "net use"
o Windows FTPuse freeware
o Windows SFTPNetDrive freeware

So if we can figure out why some methods work, and others fail, we could
figure out why the methods that fail, don't work - which is most likely a
syntax problem (because some methods work just fine to map Android FTP
server shares as a drive letter over WiFi).

The problem _must_ be as simple as syntax, for all I know at this time.

The reason I say it _must_ be as simple as syntax, is because I already
long ago had FTP drives mounted as drive letters using DirectNetDrive &
NetDrive Windows freeware.
o DirectNetDrive <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4731516dir011.jpg>
o NetDrive 1.3.2.0 <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1383190dir014.jpg

*So certainly we _can_ mount FTP "shares" as a drive letter over WiFi.*

So all we have to figure out is the right syntax to give Windows "net use".

To get that syntax correct, it's good that you started with SMB since
o Windows works best native with SMB
o And where the UNC syntax will likely be best described for SMB

But SMB servers, as you know, are problematic on Android.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/3QQ8bAZeXNI>
And worse, SMB UNC syntax doesn't usually specify the port syntax
But we need that port syntax to make an FTP UNC syntax work.

Still, that reference is good for UNC syntax help sans ports:
<https://www.howtogeek.com/118452/how-to-map-network-drives-from-the-command-prompt-in-windows/>

Specifically the ability to specify the SMB user & password (if not port).
net use s: \\tower\movies /user:HTG CrazyFourHorseMen
Which, for our FTP user & password "francis" & \DCIM folder, would be:
net use s: \\192.168.1.7\DCIM /user:francis francis
Which results in the DOS error:
System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.

Where I left this Android freeware FTP server at its default settings:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.ftpserver>

Interestingly, this login/passwd/port URI works just fine as a URL in a
Windows web browser and that URI also works just fine as a "network
location" in Windows file explorer:
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera
Where "francis" is the default FTP server user name & default password.

Notice the default ftp server port of "2221" isn't in the SMB syntax
(probably because it's assumed to be TCP port 445 by Windows).

For the freeware Android WebDAV server below set to its defaults:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
This is a URI that works both as a URL in a web browser on Windows
and as a "network location" in the Windows file explorer:
http://192.168.1.7:8080/DCIM/Camera
And, this works as a UNC to "mount" that as a "removable drive":
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8080\DCIM\Camera
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8605173dir05.jpg>

Since SMB syntax shows us how to specify the UNC user & password, and since
WebDAV syntax shows us how to specify the UNC port, maybe we can put the
two syntaxes together to specify both the UNC port & user/password?
net use W: \\192.168.1.7@2221\DCIM\Camera /USER:francis francis

Interestingly, that didn't result in an "error 53", but an "error 59":
System error 59 has occurred. An unexpected network error occurred.

> FTP is a different URI and protocol.
> There's an example of mapping an FTP site here.
> I'm not convinced this is exactly what you want.
> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-an-ftp-drive-windows\

That seems oh so very close to working (it almost worked!):
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9948610ftpshare03.jpg>
Windows10 File Explorer: Computer > Map Network Drive > Map Network Drive
Drive = Q:

Map Network Drive > \\192.168.1.7@2221\DCIM
[x]Connect using different credentials

It popped up a request for the credentials of "francis & francis".
But it failed with an error after asking a few times for the login/passwd:
"Windows
The mapped network drive could not be created because the
following error has occurred:
A device attached to the system is not functioning."
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5127116ftpshare04.jpg>

Even though clearly the web browser & "network location" both
simultaneously worked with this URI:
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera

Since it _almost_ works to mount as a drive letter, I suspect there's just
one more thing we need to do (perhaps somehow marking the directory as
"shared" on Android?)

> When they do it here, it doesn't have a drive letter.
> What exactly has been mapped ? What is the access syntax ?
> Explorer is supporting the URI, rather than some other
> layer.
> http://cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-map-a-ftp-to-a-drive-in-windows/

Yes. This has been working all along.
It's what I've been calling a "network location".

This URI syntax has always worked just fine as a "network location"
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera

Its _only_ the mapping to a drive letter that the syntax is needed
where you'd think this would work - but it errors out at error 59:
net use \\192.168.1.7@2221\DCIM /USER:francis francis

The problem, as I see it, is _only_ one of syntax.
Nothing else.

Although, I must admit, FTPuse and SFTP Net Drive don't work, so whatever
is making _them_ fail, may be what is making "net use" fail also.

> I would have to set up an FTP server to test. Something
> I don't normally keep running here.

It's easy to set up an FTP server on Android over your WiFi.
You download this server & that's it. It's set up already.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.ftpserver>

> This goes to a whole bunch more trouble to achieve
> that result. It's an "ftp use" equivalent to "net use",
> complete with adding what appears to be a parallel stack
> for storage. This appears to be free.
> https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html

Yes. We know all about FTPuse.

FTPUse used to work for me prior to Windows 10, and FTPUse works fine for
Frank Slootweg who is not on Windows 10 (I think he's on Win7).
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4223201dir010.jpg>

In summary, we _know_ it's clearly possible to map FTP servers to drive
letters since we already have working solutions, such as the older
free-for-home-use NetDrive version 1.3.2.0 freeware running on Windows:
<https://filehippo.com/download_netdrive/history/5/>
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1383190dir014.jpg>

And also with DirectNetDrive freware running on Windows:
http://www.directnet-drive.net/
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6340420dir012.jpg>

In summary, I apologize for the complexity, where, as I see it, since we
_know_ that some of the software has no problem mounting the Android FTP
"shares" as a "removable drive" in Windows 10, that the only problem we're
having with "net use" is the syntax.

Solving that syntax problem is going to take someone who knows more about
Windows than I do, as I tried experimentally, with a lot of syntaxes.

The best clue we have is that these have no problem mounting the Android
FTP directories as a drive letter over WiFi:
o NetDrive
o DirectNetDrive
While these fail to mount the Android FTP directory over WiFi as a drive
letter:
o net use
o FTPuse
o SFTPNetDrive

If we can figure out _why_ those _fail_, that will probably tell us what
the problem is with the "net use" syntax (since we know it _can_ work).

Frank Slootweg

Oct 22, 2018, 9:51:22 AM10/22/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:

[About 'Map network drive', 'Add a network location' and 'net use'.]

AFAICT from all references sofar and some testing:

1. 'Map network drive' and 'net use' can not handle FTP syntax, period.

2. 'Add a network location' *can* handle FTP syntax, and *can* handle a
(FTP) port number.

3. (Windows) File Explorer *can* handle FTP syntax and *can* handle a
(FTP) port number.
This is irrelevant for the problem at hand, but is used to verify
that the FTP server is working correctly.

In order to verify 2., I needed both a public FTP server (because the
FTP servers on Android (have to) use non-standard port numbers) and a/my
Android FTP server (ES File Explorer).

As the public FTP server I used 'ftp://speedtest.tele2.net'.

Verify 3.:
==========

- The FTP URL 'ftp://speedtest.tele2.net' should work in your browser
and in (Windows) File Explorer.

- The FTP URL 'ftp://speedtest.tele2.net:21' - i.e. with the default FTP
port number 21 - should also work in your browser and in (Windows)
File Explorer.

- The FTP URL 'ftp://speedtest.tele2.net:80' - i.e. with a port number
other than the default FTP port number 21 - should FAIL in your
browser and in (Windows)

Verify 2.:
==========

- (Windows) File Explorer -> This PC -> Add a network location -> Next
-> Choose a custom network location -> Next -> Internet or network
address: -> ftp://speedtest.tele2.net -> Next -> (leave as is) -> Next
-> (leave as is) -> Next -> untick 'Open this network location when I
click Finish.' -> Finish.

- 'This PC' will now show a Network Location 'speedtest.tele2.net',
which will open on a double-click.

- If you delete and re-add the Network Location, but now enter
ftp://speedtest.tele2.net:21 as the 'Internet or network address:',
you will see that that also works.

- If you delete and re-add the Network Location, but now enter
ftp://speedtest.tele2.net:80 as the Internet or network address:', you
will see that that FAILs, which it is *supposed* to do, because 80 is
the incorrect port number.

- So we have verified that:

> 2. 'Add a network location' *can* handle FTP syntax, and *can* handle a
(FTP) port number.

We can also use 'Add a network location' with a FTP server on Android,
by using (for example) ftp://192.168.0.109:3721 as the 'Internet or
network address:', but that does not offer much new functionality,
because we can already enter ftp://192.168.0.109:3721 directly in the
'path' bar of (Windows) File Explorer, so this is just a way of not have
to re-enter the FTP URL.

The FTP server is still not accessible *outside* File Explorer (and
web browsers), i.e. it is *not* accessible by normal 'DOS' command, like
'dir', etc..

So we're stuck with:

> 1. 'Map network drive' and 'net use' can not handle FTP syntax, period.

If someone thinks differently, then please show *real* *working*
examples with *real* FTP servers and port numbers, i.e. something like:

Where host, domain and port are real.

R.Wieser

Oct 22, 2018, 10:44:18 AM10/22/18
Frank,

>> 1. 'Map network drive' and 'net use' can not handle FTP syntax, period.
>
> If someone thinks differently, then please show *real* *working*
> examples with *real* FTP servers and port numbers, i.e. something like:

I'm surprised that you even considered testing it. FTP is not, and has
never been, a way to access a drive.

In the same way "net" (use) has never been something to support internet
protocols.

Also, FTP is a *file transfer* (as in: the whole thing) protocol, not ment
to be used to do random reads and writes to a file. DIR ? Yes. COPY ?
yes. DEL ? yes. ATTRIB ? Nope, only Linux-style permissions are
supported. Anything else ? Not so much. As such it cannot even be used
to do Arlens "every window command" with it.

And that is where his story ends.

Unless he's willing to check out stuff like this here:

https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html

... Which he isn't (which is a good, but limiting choice).

Than again, as long as you use third-party software (or write it yourself!)
you can get (most) everything to work - even (full, raw) disk access over
morse. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Frank Slootweg

Oct 22, 2018, 1:21:59 PM10/22/18
R.Wieser <add...@not.available> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> >> 1. 'Map network drive' and 'net use' can not handle FTP syntax, period.
> >
> > If someone thinks differently, then please show *real* *working*
> > examples with *real* FTP servers and port numbers, i.e. something like:
>
> I'm surprised that you even considered testing it. FTP is not, and has
> never been, a way to access a drive.

I can assure you that I know full well what FTP can and cannot do
(I've - professionally - been doing networking since the very early 70s,
before any kind of 'Internet'), but read on.

> In the same way "net" (use) has never been something to support internet
> protocols.

Well, as 'Arlen' posted, 'net use' *does* work with a WebDAV server
and - in this context - WebDAV does offer similar functionality as FTP.

So for WebDAV, 'net use' *is* "a way to access a drive" and hence
*is* "something to support internet protocols".

The whole point is that 'net use' *does* offer WebDAV compatibility/
functionality, but for some reason does *not* offer FTP compatibility/
functionality. That might make sense to Microsoft, but it doesn't make
any sense to normal people, especially since FTP is older than WebDAV.

> Also, FTP is a *file transfer* (as in: the whole thing) protocol, not ment
> to be used to do random reads and writes to a file. DIR ? Yes. COPY ?
> yes. DEL ? yes. ATTRIB ? Nope, only Linux-style permissions are
> supported. Anything else ? Not so much. As such it cannot even be used
> to do Arlens "every window command" with it.

Yes, that's the whole point!

That's why he - and everybody else - *wants* a SMB solution, but -
unless rooted - Android can not use ports below 1024 and Windows is too
stupid to use another port (than the default 445), which most other SMB
clients/servers *can*.

So he/everybody else *wants* a SMB solution, but *until* that actually
*works* - for a SMB server on a non-rooted Android device -, he's
looking at less-ideal alternatives.

> And that is where his story ends.
>
> Unless he's willing to check out stuff like this here:
>
> https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html
>
> ... Which he isn't (which is a good, but limiting choice).

I can't blame you for not following all he posts, but he *did* and
*does* look into this (FTPUSE) [1], but for some reason, he can not get
it to work on Windows *10*. (He used it before on some other Windows
version - probably Windows XP - and I used (no longer need it) it on
Windows 8.1.)

He has asked for others to test it on Windows 10, but AFAICT nobody
has done so. I wonder why!? :-)

If you have Windows 10 and want to help him, please feel free.

> Than again, as long as you use third-party software (or write it yourself!)
> you can get (most) everything to work - even (full, raw) disk access over
> morse. :-)

Nah! Morse code is SO old-fashioned. These days we use Avian Carriers [2]!

[1] AFAIR, he was actually the first to mention FTPUSE in these groups.
> From: Jonas Schneider <Jonas123...@arcor.de>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.mobile.android
> Subject: Re: What do you use to copy text files from Windows XP to Android over WiFi?
> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 05:41:45 +0000 (UTC)

[2] <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt>

David Taylor

Oct 22, 2018, 1:56:59 PM10/22/18
On 21/10/2018 21:42, Paul wrote:
[]
> FTP is a different URI and protocol.
>
> There's an example of mapping an FTP site here.
> I'm not convinced this is exactly what you want.
>
> https://www.thewindowsclub.com/map-an-ftp-drive-windows
>
> When they do it here, it doesn't have a drive letter.
> What exactly has been mapped ? What is the access syntax ?
> Explorer is supporting the URI, rather than some other
> layer.
>
> http://cybernetnews.com/cybernotes-map-a-ftp-to-a-drive-in-windows/
>
> I would have to set up an FTP server to test. Something
> I don't normally keep running here.
>
> This goes to a whole bunch more trouble to achieve
> that result. It's an "ftp use" equivalent to "net use",
> complete with adding what appears to be a parallel stack
> for storage. This appears to be free.
>
> https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html
>
>    Paul

At least one of those methods works for a friend. Very timely!

Thanks,
David
--
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

R.Wieser

Oct 22, 2018, 3:43:53 PM10/22/18
Frank,

> I can assure you that I know full well what FTP can and cannot
> do (I've - professionally - been doing networking since the very
> early 70s, before any kind of 'Internet')

My apologies.

> Well, as 'Arlen' posted, 'net use' *does* work with a WebDAV
> server and - in this context - WebDAV does offer similar functionality
> as FTP.

Grumble, grumble ... Only now, due to your WebDav reference, I see that I
mixed two threads up: The "android over USB" and this one. Mea culpa. :-(

> Yes, that's the whole point!

Phew, I got at least that one right. :-)

> That's why he - and everybody else - *wants* a SMB solution,
> but - unless rooted - Android can not use ports below 1024 and
> Windows is too stupid to use another port (than the default 445),
> which most other SMB clients/servers *can*.

I thought that that was solved ? I saw him mention a few port echoing
(proxy) programs, with one of them being a standard windows app. Did it
fizzle out for some reason ?

> I can't blame you for not following all he posts, but he *did*
> and *does* look into this (FTPUSE) [1],

Its not that I think that he doesn't look into stuff, but that he expects
others to name the programs that will solve his problems.

> [1] AFAIR, he was actually the first to mention FTPUSE in these groups.

I might be too pessimistic - its ofcourse possible that he found some usable
software on his own - but seeing how he pumps everyone here to come up with
the programs he needs my default is to assume he got it by pumping some poor
sod outside these newsgroups.

> He has asked for others to test it on Windows 10, but AFAICT
> nobody has done so. I wonder why!? :-)

well... uuhh... Yeah, what can I say. I think he there reaps what he has
sown. <whistle>

> If you have Windows 10 and want to help him, please feel free.

No and no.

And thats another reason why I dislike the guy. He keeps dumping his
requests into the XP newsgroup, even though he should be aware that programs
working on XP likely won't work on W10 (and vise verse).

> Nah! Morse code is SO old-fashioned. These days we use Avian Carriers
> [2]!

:-) I thought of mentioning those, but found them a too-recent history. :-p

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 4:37:41 PM10/22/18
On 22 Oct 2018 17:21:58 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Well, as 'Arlen' posted, 'net use' *does* work with a WebDAV server
> and - in this context - WebDAV does offer similar functionality as FTP.
>
> So for WebDAV, 'net use' *is* "a way to access a drive" and hence
> *is* "something to support internet protocols".
>
> The whole point is that 'net use' *does* offer WebDAV compatibility/
> functionality, but for some reason does *not* offer FTP compatibility/
> functionality. That might make sense to Microsoft, but it doesn't make
> any sense to normal people, especially since FTP is older than WebDAV.

Hi Frank Slootweg,
I just read this, and, I have to say, THANK YOU FOR EXISTING!
You're the _only_ one who _comprehends_ the problem set.

FTP (X:) drive: <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4233679dir018.jpg>
WebDAV (X:) drive: <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8624465dir019.jpg>

Sure, it's complex: But nobody but you and me seem to comprehend it.
Thank you for that summary above (which is better than I could write!).

I've concluded my tests, for the most part, where I _agree_ that "net use"
works _differently_ for WebDav than for FTP. It just does. Why? Hell if I
know. But it clearly does work differently.

What I wish I understood better is why Windows treats them differently,
and, more importantly, why I can almost perfectly treat the WebDav share as
an X: drive, even though it doesn't literally show up as a "removable
drive" as shown in this screenshot I posted a few days ago when I started
this quest.
o "net use" <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8605173dir05.jpg>

Notice, by way of contrast, that FTP shares do show up as literally a
"removable drive".
o DirectNetDrive <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6340420dir012.jpg>
o NetDrive v1.3.2.0 <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1383190dir014.jpg

That the WebDav "X:" is "slightly" different than the FTP "X:" drive is
what confuses me because I don't understand why Windows is "almost"
treating both as a "removable drive", but not completely doing so for the
WebDav as much as it's treating FTP shares as a bona-fide removable drive.
o FTP shares as a "removable drive" works perfectly!
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7002518dir020.jpg>
o WebDAV shares as a "removable drive" almost works perfectly
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8624465dir019.jpg>

Not knowing what is different in Windows - which makes FTP "drive letter
X:" show up in the "removable drive" section, but the "WebDAV drive letter
X:" shows up in the network location section - and yet - I can run DOS
commands on both (but slightly differently).

Does anyone know why the X: drive letter is treated differently by Windows
for FTP shares (perfectly) versus for WebDAV shares (slightly less
perfectly)?

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 4:44:37 PM10/22/18
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:43:42 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> Its not that I think that he doesn't look into stuff, but that he expects
> others to name the programs that will solve his problems.

Hi Rudy,

In case you forgot, this is Usenet.

We ask Windows & Android _experts_ to help us answer our questions that
don't have ready-made answers that can simply be found by googling.

For example...

Here's a screenshot each showing why I'm confused that the (X:) drive for
WebDav is treated slightly differently than the (X:) drive for FTP by
Windows:
It turns out that Windows (with the freeware, of course, that mounted the
FTP share as the X: drive) handles FTP "slightly better" than Windows
handled the WebDAV share (using only native "net use" of course).

They both act like an "X:" drive to the DOS command line, and both can
"Open command window here", but only one shows up in the "removable drive"
section, while the other shows up in the "network location" section of the
Windows File Explorer.

I don't know Windows well enough to explain why that happens that way.
Do you?

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 5:07:37 PM10/22/18
On 22 Oct 2018 13:51:21 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> 1. 'Map network drive' and 'net use' can not handle FTP syntax, period.

To be clear to all, Frank and I are in complete agreement on _everything_
that Frank wrote in that post above.

Specifically, after much experimentation, this morning, I gave up on trying
to mount Android FTP shares over WiFi as a "removable drive" drive letter
using only native Windows "net use" commands.

Ironically, as Frank astutely noted, "net use" works great with WebDAV
shares under the exact same conditions (even down to my tests changing the
ports and login credentials).

I changed the login credentials and ports to match them as best I could,
and the results were astounding (to me).

WebDAV works:
o net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis
FTP fails:
o net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis

Why?
Hell if I know why.

Someone (like Rudy?) who understands Windows will have to explain why. :)

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 5:44:01 PM10/22/18
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:44:02 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> As such it cannot even be used
> to do Arlens "every window command" with it.

While everything Frank said in this thread is correct, what's revealing is
that _everything Rudy Wieser said, is dead wrong.

> And that is where his story ends.

I'm gonna be blunt with you Rudy Wieser.
You're too _stupid_ to even _comprehend_ what we're talking about.
Every post from you is dead wrong - and worse - adds no value.

Every one of your posts, Rudy Wiser, is _negative_ value.

If I wasn't clear enough for you Rudy, please let me know.

> Unless he's willing to check out stuff like this here:
> https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html
> ... Which he isn't (which is a good, but limiting choice).

Yet again, Rudy is dead wrong since we covered this in gory detail so many
times in the past few days that it's amazing how fantastically stupid Rudy
Wieser shows himself to be.

Rudy ... the fact is that we _started_ ahead of you, and you can't keep up,
let alone catch up on even _comprehending_ what we're saying.

Yes, Rudy Wieser. You are _that_ stupid.
That you don't comprehend how stupid you are is the problem here.

There is only one other person on this newsgroup who has shown any
comprehension of the problem set and the potential solutions, where,
together, we helped each other.

For example, Frank suggested NetDrive, which worked for me to mount the FTP
shares as a bona-fide drive letter (even though I had DirectNetDrive
already working - it's always nice to have multiple solutions).

To pay Frank back the favor, I showed him (and everyone else) how to mount
the WebDAV shares using only native Windows - which only Frank seems to
appreciate the sheer beauty of when you compare what happens with FTP
shares under the same circumstances.

I'm trying to be clear with you Rudy Wieser.
Frank is smart enough to comprehend the complexities inhernet her.
You're not.

Everything you said, in fact, is/was (likely always will be) dead wrong.

If I wasn't clear enough with you Rudy, let me know.
a. You don't even comprehend the problem set, Rudy.
b. Everything you said was dead wrong, Rudy.
b. Then you complain we didn't test what we've tested ages ago

While I am likely only of average intelligence, you, Rudy, are so far below
the bell curve that it's shocking that nobody has informed you yet.

I consider _every_ post by you to be a complete waste of everyone's time.
Again ... if I'm not being clear with you Rudy ... let me know.

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 6:55:59 PM10/22/18
On 22 Oct 2018 17:21:58 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> [1] AFAIR, he was actually the first to mention FTPUSE in these groups.
>> From: Jonas Schneider <Jonas123...@arcor.de>
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.mobile.android
>> Subject: Re: What do you use to copy text files from Windows XP to Android over WiFi?
>> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 05:41:45 +0000 (UTC)

Frank is astute.

This is a post I wrote on how to use FTPuse with Windows XP long ago.
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/OkDfuDN9fZU/GEHkDKzcAQAJ>

For decades, I've _always_ been improving our cross-platform capabilities.
(One productive success was with Windows/SunOS/Mac using CAP/Samba/SMB.)

This is the relatively recent article Frank referred folks to: 3/20/2017
What do you use to copy text files from Windows XP to Android over WiFi?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/OkDfuDN9fZU%5B1-25%5D>

In those days, I was on WinXP & Android 4.3 - but it's amazing outside of
the fact that it's now Windows 10 and Android 7.0 that we've come a _huge_
way since then in terms of bilateral compatibility between Android &
Windows.

In fact, reading that thread was actually painful, since _every_ post turns
out to be dead wrong in many ways, if we compare what is said then to what
we'd say now (in terms of the huge improvement in cross-platform
capabilities).
=== begin a summary midway through the thread ===
With those criteria in mind, here are some of the solutions I tested:
1. CIFS methods (eg Folder Tag with CIFS plugin & Network Browser)
2. SMB methods (eg AndSMB & Astro & ES File Explorer & Total Commander)
3. FTP methods (eg PrimitiveFTP & FTP Server & WinSCP & FileZilla)
4. HTTP methods (eg Wifi Explorer & WiFi File Transfer)
5. Sync methods (eg MyPhoneExplorer & AirDroid)

RANKING OF ONLY THOSE SOLUTIONS THAT WORKED:
3. FTP methods (best, by far, for native support in Windows File Explorer)
4. HTTP methods (best for the clueless since it's so easy to use a browser)
5. Sync methods (best for those who want to sync & control the phone)

RANKINGS INCLUDING SOLUTIONS THAT SHOULD HAVE WORKED:
1. CIFS methods (Should be best for Windows native File Explorer support)
2. SMB methods (Should also work with Mac & Windows native file support)
3. FTP methods (best, by far, for native support in Windows File Explorer)
4. HTTP methods (best for the clueless since it's so easy to use a browser)
5. Sync methods (best for those who want to sync & control the phone)
=== end of that summary midway through the thread ===

Notice we wasted a _lot_ of time on SMB, which, obviously, if it would
work, would be fantastic - but it just won't work. Period.

And we wasted a lot of time on proprietary server:client solutions, all of
which were a total waste of effort. For example, a bunch of idiots said the
problem couldn't be solved without "paying for a solution", which is just
wrong in every way possible. (It's amazing when people are _that_ stupid.)

Basically only Frank & Paul added helpful technical insight to that thread.

Alas, Rudy Wieser (and nospam and about a score of other fools) just wasted
everyone's time, as usual, by (a) not ever comprehending the problem set,
and (b) by being literally dead wrong on everything they wrote.

Unfortunately, that Usenet thread, like this one, has 1 to 3 intelligent
respondents, and then about a dozen to a score of fools who just waste
everyone's time making technical progress difficult with their utter
childish drivel (read the thread to see what I mean).

The good news is that we have made _tremendous_ progress since then.

At this point, we have a bunch of very good solutions that work nearly
flawlessly, over USB & WiFI, with and without freeware additions.

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 8:37:56 PM10/22/18
On 22 Oct 2018 17:21:58 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> I can't blame you for not following all he posts, but he *did* and
> *does* look into this (FTPUSE) [1], but for some reason, he can not get
> it to work on Windows *10*. (He used it before on some other Windows
> version - probably Windows XP - and I used (no longer need it) it on
> Windows 8.1.)
>
> He has asked for others to test it on Windows 10, but AFAICT nobody
> has done so. I wonder why!? :-)
>
> If you have Windows 10 and want to help him, please feel free.

Hi Frank,
Don't hold your breath for Rudy Wieser to ever do anything an adult would
do, where he can only play his silly little childish fifth-grade games.

Thankfully, a person posted on the a.c.f ng that he tested FTPUse on
Windows 10, which worked just fine for him using the same OliveTree FTP
server I used.

I asked him to check the SFTP NetDrive freeware & will report back if he
runs that SFTP Net Drive test successfully.
o <https://www.nsoftware.com/sftp/netdrive/> (it took a bogus name & email)

Since I already had two working solutions (both DnD and ND worked fine for
me), as I said before, I won't bother to debug why both SFTPNetDrive and
FTPUse fail for me.

Bear in mind that my network is "slightly complex" as NetBIOS broadcasts
are blocked, for example, so my home network is "slightly" non standard.

Also, I've modified the hell out of Windows 10, with over 200 tutorials
written alone for what to change, so it really should have been tested on a
pristine system, but since I already have two working solutions, it's not
worth that kind of effort.

The good news is that FTPUse works on Windows 10 so _others_ can use it.
That's all I really care about.

Arlen Holder

Oct 22, 2018, 11:37:43 PM10/22/18
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 18:56:58 +0100, David Taylor wrote:

> At least one of those methods works for a friend. Very timely!

In case it helps others, here's my running log file from my last tests,
earlier this morning, before I gave up on the FTP "net use" syntax.

Often, empirically, I find stuff that nobody else seems ot know about (sort
of like how an ant finds scraps of food), where some of the scraps below
may help others.

I'm pretty much done with the FTP "net use" syntax checks, but it's a
bitch, sometimes, to get the syntax correct because _most_ examples on the
net are for SMB, which has no concept of the "@SSL" & "@PORT" &
"://user:passwd" and the "/USER:user password" syntax.

=== begin ad-hoc log ===
0. Starting with this freeware Android FTP server set to its defaults

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.ftpserver>
IP = 192.168.1.7
Port = 2221
Passive ports = 2300-2399
Home directory = SdCard
User name = francis
User password = francis
1. The 1st control is the simplest test, which is to construct this
syntactically correct web browser URI, which works just fine
in a Windows Firefox browsing session on Windows.
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera
2. The next control is to use that exact URI as the address for a Windows
File Explorer "network location", which also works just fine:
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:2221/DCIM/Camera
3. The next control is that the Android FTP share mounts using Windows
NetDrive freeware which mounts the FTP share as a drive letter.
4. The next control is that the Android FTP share mounts with Windows
DirectNetDrive freeware as a drive letter.

So, we know that Windows has no problem mounting the FTP share as a
"removable drive" or using that FTP share as a "network location".

We may just not know the syntax to use for the "net use" command.

For FTP & WebDAV, "net use" syntax will need both a port & login
credentials, where we know that UNC specifies ports, but not login
credentials.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
ftp://[user[:password]@]host[:port]/url-path
But we also know that "net use" handles UNCs & login credentials:

<https://superuser.com/questions/344775/passing-unc-username-and-password-within-a-unc-path#344933>
net use M: \\192.168.1.7@8080\DCIM /user:francis francis
net use N: \\192.168.1.7@2221\DCIM /user:francis francis

5. The next control is to start a freeeware WebDAV server set to defaults:

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theolivetree.webdavserver>
IP = 192.168.1.7
Port = 8080
Home directory = SdCard
User name = not set
User password = not set
6. Where this URI works just fine in a Windows web browser session:
http://192.168.1.7:8080/DCIM/Camera
7. And where that same URI easily creates a Windows "network location":
http://192.168.1.7:8080/DCIM/Camera
8. More to the point, similar syntax works with the "net use" command:
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8080\DCIM\Camera
The command completed successfully.

While that test alone handily proves "net use" handles more than just the
"SMB" protocol on TCP port 445, we haven't yet proven whether "net use" can
handle the FTP protocol on port 2221.

Testing UNC syntax will be based on this Microsoft documentation:

<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/davclnt/nf-davclnt-davgethttpfromuncpath>
Where the syntax for Windows' Universal Naming Convention (UNC) is:
\\HostName[@SSL][@Port]\SharedFolder\Resource

9. Let's add login credentials to the WebDAV setup:
IP = 192.168.1.7
Port = 8080
Home directory = SdCard
User name = francis
User password = francis
And then we stop and restart the Android WebDAV server.
10. Constructing this URI, as a URL for a Windows web browser works fine:
http://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:8080/DCIM/Camera
11. That same URI works fine as a Windows "network location":
http://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:8080/DCIM/Camera
12. More to the point, let's now retry "net use" syntax with credentials:
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8080\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis
The command completed successfully.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2542487dir016.jpg>
13. Moving closer to the desired URI, let's change WebDAV port magic:
IP = 192.168.1.7
Port = 8000
Home directory = SdCard
User name = francis
User password = francis
14. As expected, the web browser URI with that syntax worked fine:
http://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:8000\DCIM\Camera
15. And the "net use" UNC syntax with that port number also worked fine:
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis
The command completed successfully.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8381514dir017.jpg>

Unfortunately, I can't get the WebDAV server to accept port 2221.
So I'll set the FTP server to accept port 8080 instead.
IP = 192.168.1.7
Port = 8080
Passive Ports: 8100-8199
Home directory = /storage/emulated/0
User name = francis
User password = francis

16. The Windows web browser worked fine:
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:8080\
17. The Windows "network location" worked fine:
ftp://francis:fra...@192.168.1.7:8080\
18. But the Windows "net use" attempt failed:
net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8080\ /user:francis francis
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3626731dir018.jpg>
=== end ad-hoc log ===

Carlos E. R.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:55:19 AM10/23/18
On 23/10/2018 02.37, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Hi Frank,
> Don't hold your breath for Rudy Wieser to ever do anything an adult would
> do, where he can only play his silly little childish fifth-grade games.

People would believe you better if you stopped attacking people and stay
professional, without insults.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 8:10:44 AM10/23/18
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:43:42 +0200, R.Wieser wrote:

> And thats another reason why I dislike the guy. He keeps dumping his
> requests into the XP newsgroup, even though he should be aware that programs
> working on XP likely won't work on W10 (and vise verse).

C'mon Rudy Wieser,

You dislike me because I mirror your own posts which prove you're stupid.

I do that, obviously, to alienate you.
I want you to just go away.

*You can _never_ add any technical value to any thread, Rudy.*

You're utterly worthless, Rudy.
You prove me right in that everything you post is worthless, Rudy.

You don't even _comprehend_ the problem set, Rudy.
Everything you wrote was dead _wrong_, Rudy.
And then you throw stones, Rudy.

I'm only _responding_ to your posts, Rudy.
If you never posted to a thread I cared about, you'd never hear from me.

When you get _that_ point, Rudy, you'll finally comprehend
o My strategy is to alienate you, Rudy.
o My tactics are to use your own words to prove you're worthless, Rudy.

If I'm not clear Rudy, let me know.

BTW, to add value, it came up in the a.c.f thread the following, which
others may benefit from, particularly those, like Rudy, on older versions
of Windows - which is very useful technical information for those of you on
older Windows who still wish to do what we've done here to mount Android
file systems onto Windows in order to run Windows commands directly on
them:

"Win2k and down net use does NOT support WebDAV on their own.
You have to use 3rd party utilities if you want to map a drive
via webDAV in those cases."

Since Rudy is on WinXP (I believe), then maybe _he_ can act like an adult
to figure out what those 3rd-party utilities might be. That would be an
adult thing to do - which would be to _add value_.

But it would take an adult to actually add technical value to this thread.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 8:10:45 AM10/23/18
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 12:55:17 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> People would believe you better if you stopped attacking people and stay
> professional, without insults.

Hi Carlos E.R.,

I believe you have the problem set all wrong, Carlos, because you can't see
what I can see, IMHO, which is why you won't be able to comprehend the
strategy or the tactics used, IMHO.
o You, Carlos, appear to not comprehend there are two types of threads;
o Those you have a vested interest in the outcome; and those you don't.

*I can see what you can see; but you can't see what I can see, IMHO.*

It's like you only see the police arresting the criminals; but you never
show that you comprehend that the police arresting criminals is only the
secondary _response_ to the primary act of the criminals in the first
place.

I've been on Usenet for decades, as have most people here.
o IMHO, there are people who add value (only a small handful), and,
o There is everyone else (most of whom will _never_ add technical value).

This thread, like most Usenet threads IMHO, showed how the system works
o Only 1 to 3 posters out of all who read it, added _any_ value
o The rest, like your post & those from Wieser, add no technical value

Usenet, IMHO, is a potluck picnic, where
o Those 1 to 3 adults who add technical value are fantastic
o Because of those few adults, we all improve our technical skills

In this thread, AFAICR, the only adults who added technical value, were
o Frank Slootweg (e.g., he _explained_ things better than I could)
o Paul (e.g., he is _always_ purposefully helpful)
o Me (e.g., I added the beautifully elegant WebDAV solution)

The rest, were worthless posts
o Every post, for example, from Rudy Wieser, was worthless, IMHO.
o As was every post of mine, responding to his worthless drivel.

The problem, as I see it, Carlos, is this patently clear:
o Once the trolls infest a thread, the thread is ruined
o It's no different from when vermin infest a public potluck picnic.

*The question is _how_ to deal with those worthless vermin.*
o There is no good way to deal with the vermin
o Once they have infested the potluck picnic that is Usenet

If you have no vested interest in the outcome of the thread...
o Then, the rule of not feeding the vermin holds well
o Why? Because you don't care that the vermin ruined _that_ picnic.
o Hence, you don't see me confront the cowardly bullies in those threads.

However ... if you have a vested interest in the outcome of the thread
o Then the rule of letting the vermin ruin the picnic no longer works
o You need a strategy that saves the _next_ picnic from the vermin
o And your tactics must fit that strategy of saving the next picnic.

My strategy & my tactics are simple, logical, consistent, & reasonable.
o My tactics are to confront the bully trolls _with their own words_.
o My strategy is to funnel them by being a mirror of their own intent.

Hence, Carlos, I believe you are missing the point, IMHO, in that what
_you_ apparently see is only the secondary response to the primary insult.

Remember, I can see _everything_ you can see since anyone can see it; but
you haven't shown any comprehension of what I can see, based on what you
write.

It appears that you're only seeing the _response_ to the worthless trolls.
You don't seem to be able to comprehend that it's a _response_.

It's like you only see the police arresting the criminals;
you can't see the criminals performing the act that got them arrested.

My strategy, as Frank Slootweg can easily attest to, is the normal strategy
of society, which is to reward adult behavior and to confront the bully
trolls by being a funnel mirror, to wit:
o If they act like adults, I treat them as adults;
o If they act like children, I treat them as children.

In summary, there is no good way to deal with vermin trolls, just as there
is no good way to deal with criminals who rob banks. You can only ignore
them, or react to them.

If they rob a bank you have no vested interest in, then the rule of not
feeding the trolls works just fine (simply because you don't care about the
outcome of that thread).

But if the vermin infest a potluck picnic that you have a vested interest
in, then that picnic is _already_ ruined - all you can do - is implement a
strategy and tactics that preserve the _next_ potluck picnic.

I don't fear silence.

If I post a hard question, and nobody answers, that's fine because that's
how hard questions happen to be.

If I post a hard question, and the vermin respond in droves, then that's
far worse than a thread asking a question that nobody has the answer to.

If the next technical question I post has only 1 to 3 adult responses from
the likes of Frank Slootweg, Paul, Andy Burns, ML, and me, then we _all_
benefit since we're the only ones who added any value in this thread
(IMHO).

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 10:11:28 AM10/23/18
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 12:10:45 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> If the next technical question I post has only 1 to 3 adult responses from
> the likes of Frank Slootweg, Paul, Andy Burns, ML, and me, then we _all_
> benefit since we're the only ones who added any value in this thread
> (IMHO).

To continue the adult task of adding technical value, this snippet from
a.c.f implies that the older WinXP _can_ handle "net use" mounting of
WebDAV servers:

"Starting with Windows XP, net use does support WebDAV, natively.
Do you remember one of the touted new features of XP?
The so called 'web folders'? Well, that's how it works."

Which we can combine with this related snippet from the same person:

Frank Slootweg

Oct 23, 2018, 11:58:31 AM10/23/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:
[...]

> What I wish I understood better is why Windows treats them differently,
> and, more importantly, why I can almost perfectly treat the WebDav share as
> an X: drive, even though it doesn't literally show up as a "removable
> drive" as shown in this screenshot I posted a few days ago when I started
> this quest.
> o "net use" <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8605173dir05.jpg>

When you use 'net use' (or 'Map network drive' in File Explorer), you
are creating a Network Drive, not a plain 'Drive'.

Note that in your screenshot, all your 'Drive's are together in the
'Devices and drives' section of FE. Apparently Windows 10 FE has
'Drive', 'Removable Disk' and 'Local Disk' in this section. (8.1 just
has names and icons.) Anyway, the point is that in this section, all
things are *non*-'Network Drive's.

As said, the drive 'X:' you created via the 'net use' command is a
*Network* Drive and hence appears in the 'Network locations' section of
FE.

So there is a difference between a 'Removable Disk' (K: in your
screenshot) and a Network Drive (X: in your screenshot).

For a 'Removable Disk', you can do an 'Eject'.

For a Network Drive, you can do a 'Disconnect' or 'net use /delete'.

> Notice, by way of contrast, that FTP shares do show up as literally a
> "removable drive".
> o DirectNetDrive <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6340420dir012.jpg>
> o NetDrive v1.3.2.0 <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1383190dir014.jpg

Indeed. While these drives are *associated* with a network, they are
*not* Network Drives (i.e. do not appear in the 'Network locations'
section of FE), but are 'normal' drives, just as any drive in the
'Devices and drives' section of FE. So these drives are the same type as
your C: drive.

I hope this has unconfused things a bit! :-)

[..]

Frank Slootweg

Oct 23, 2018, 12:16:09 PM10/23/18
R.Wieser <add...@not.available> wrote:

['chit-chat' deleted. :-)]

> > That's why he - and everybody else - *wants* a SMB solution,
> > but - unless rooted - Android can not use ports below 1024 and
> > Windows is too stupid to use another port (than the default 445),
> > which most other SMB clients/servers *can*.
>
> I thought that that was solved ? I saw him mention a few port echoing
> (proxy) programs, with one of them being a standard windows app. Did it
> fizzle out for some reason ?

No, AFAIK the portmapping issue is not solved and - AFAIK - getting a
SMB server on non-rooted Android to work - i.e. even with a port higher
than 1024 - is not solved yet.

> > I can't blame you for not following all he posts, but he *did*
> > and *does* look into this (FTPUSE) [1],
>
> Its not that I think that he doesn't look into stuff, but that he expects
> others to name the programs that will solve his problems.

To be fair, I think he actually does both, i.e. does some research and
'expects' others to do the rest. In some cases , the research part is
minimal to (nearly) absent. In other cases, there's quite a bit of
research, but the prresentation is ... ummm .. 'sub-optimal'. :-)

The main problem is his MO when interacting with people who he
'disagrees' with for some strange 'reason's. He tries to justify that
MO, but before you know it, he again draws first blood and things go
down hill with lightning speed.

I've been in and out of his bad/good books several times. Now I'm
again in his good book and get praised like there's no tomorrow. But
some day in the not too distant future, I'm sure I'll be 'vermin', a
'moron', etc. again.

> > [1] AFAIR, he was actually the first to mention FTPUSE in these groups.
>
> I might be too pessimistic - its ofcourse possible that he found some usable
> software on his own - but seeing how he pumps everyone here to come up with
> the programs he needs my default is to assume he got it by pumping some poor
> sod outside these newsgroups.
>
> > He has asked for others to test it on Windows 10, but AFAICT
> > nobody has done so. I wonder why!? :-)
>
> well... uuhh... Yeah, what can I say. I think he there reaps what he has
> sown. <whistle>

Exactly! I wonder if he even realizes this consequence of his MO.

> > If you have Windows 10 and want to help him, please feel free.
>
> No and no.

Oops, sorry, didn't want to offend you by implying that you might be
so stupid as to have 10, let alone run it! :-)

> And thats another reason why I dislike the guy. He keeps dumping his
> requests into the XP newsgroup, even though he should be aware that programs
> working on XP likely won't work on W10 (and vise verse).

+1

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 3:21:35 PM10/23/18
On 23 Oct 2018 16:16:07 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> No, AFAIK the portmapping issue is not solved and - AFAIK - getting a
> SMB server on non-rooted Android to work - i.e. even with a port higher
> than 1024 - is not solved yet.

While we've solved a lot of common problems in this thread...
there is far much more for intelligent people to improve:
1. There is no working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
2. There is no known freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB

I have confidence that I will eventually solve both those problems (as I
almost never fail), but it won't be easy; and it will likely take a few
golden nuggets of knowledge from the intelligent adults on this newsgroup
to do so.

> To be fair, I think he actually does both, i.e. does some research and
> 'expects' others to do the rest. In some cases , the research part is
> minimal to (nearly) absent. In other cases, there's quite a bit of
> research, but the prresentation is ... ummm .. 'sub-optimal'. :-)

What Frank Slootweg wrote is correct in that I do a lot more research than
the likes of proven morons such as Rudy Wieser can _ever_ comprehend; but,
it's also true that I ask questions when solutions that may exist are
unknown to me.

Each nugget of knowledge helps move our capabilities forward.

For an example of where we each provide knowledge nuggets that help each
other move the ball forward, Frank was the first to inform me that NetDrive
wasn't always payware, which helped me find the older version that was
freeware which easily mounted FTP shares over WiFi as drive letters.

Likewise, Frank said that I was the first to post on these newsgroups about
FTPUse freeware, which he hadn't known about until I found it in my
searches for replacing "net use" years ago for mounting FTP shares over
WiFi as drive letters.

The problem with people like Rudy Wieser is that they contain literally
zero of those knowledge nuggets.

> The main problem is his MO when interacting with people who he
> 'disagrees' with for some strange 'reason's. He tries to justify that
> MO, but before you know it, he again draws first blood and things go
> down hill with lightning speed.

Frank Slootweg - we have been down this path too many times.
I repeat that you have no concept of two things:

1. USENET MODEL:
o Not everyone is on Usenet for idle chitchat.
o Some of us are here to solve tough problems

2. INTELLIGENT ADULTS:
o My strategy is to openly alienate worthless child-like posters
o I do that by being a mirror to funnel them into acting like adults

You know I've done that with you Frank, so I won't belabor the obvious.

You act as if it's the policeman's fault that he has to pull over someone
who habitually drives on the shoulder, horns blaring, to avoid traffic.

My response is *never* what you call 'first blood'; you're just ignorant of
the obvious where you blame the police for having to arrest the bank robber
after they've robbed the bank a dozen times already.

> I've been in and out of his bad/good books several times. Now I'm
> again in his good book and get praised like there's no tomorrow. But
> some day in the not too distant future, I'm sure I'll be 'vermin', a
> 'moron', etc. again.

Frank Slootweg,
You just _proved_ you have absolutely no concept of a funnel & a mirror:
o The strategy is to funnel people into acting like adults
o The tactic is to use a mirror of their own posts to do so

To wit:
o When you act like a child, Frank Slootweg, I treat you as a child.
o When you act like an adult, I treat you as an adult.

It's a well-thought out strategy whose tactics support the strategy.
If you haven't figured this out by now, after having explained it to you so
many times already, you'll _never_ figure this out, Frank.

All you see is that sometimes I treat you like a child, while other times I
treat you as an adult.

What you don't see, is that I am a mirror of your posts, Frank.
A mirror.

> Exactly! I wonder if he even realizes this consequence of his MO.

What's hilarious is that Rudy Wieser actually thinks that by alienating
him, we on this newsgroup, somehow (I can't explain how???) lose out?

We _gain_ a ton when the likes of Rudy Wieser *don't* post to a thread!

Folks like Rudy Wieser, Char Jackson, Wolf K, Rene Lamantagne, and a host
of others, don't have the mental capacity to add value to an adult topic.

For example, ask any of those what solution they'd propose to:
o Solve the non-root SMB drive-mounting question over WiFi
o Solve the non-payware MTP drive-mounting question over WiFi

I'm confident that I _can_ (possibly) solve those two problems, with the
help of the experts here ... but those trolls? No way.

They've proven long ago that all they _can_ do, is troll.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/eONWlmNhhPU/_sw2o0_xAgAJ>

*Who are the vermin that infest this newsgroup with their trolls?*
o *Rudy Wieser* [From: "R.Wieser" <add...@not.available>]
o *Ken Blake* [From: Ken Blake <K...@invalid.news.com>]
o *Wolf K* [From: Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca>]
o *Danny DeVito* [From: Danny DeVito <inv...@invalid.invalid>]
o *Char Jackson* [From: Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid>]
o *Sam Hill* [From: Sam Hill <s...@example.com>]
o *joe* [From: joe <no...@domain.invalid>]
o *Good Guy* [From: Good Guy <Hello...@Example.com>]

The _less_ these worthless vermin post, the _more_ we can move forward.

> Oops, sorry, didn't want to offend you by implying that you might be
> so stupid as to have 10, let alone run it! :-)

While I've solved _many_ a difficult problem, with the help of intelligent
people here, the sad fact is that the vermin listed above will _never_
solve any difficult problem.

All the people like Rudy Wieser _can_ do, is troll.

Ask any of them, for example, what's _their_ solution for:
1. A working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
2. A freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 3:46:57 PM10/23/18
On 23 Oct 2018 15:58:30 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> When you use 'net use' (or 'Map network drive' in File Explorer), you
> are creating a Network Drive, not a plain 'Drive'.

Hi Frank Slootweg,
I appreciate that you're the _only_ person on this newsgroup who shows that
he comprehends not only the underlying Windows action, but also the desired
goal, and the tested solutions.

I only fully comprehend the desired goal, where I comprehend the tested
solutions less, and even less do I comprehend the underlying Windows
technology.

It must be true, as you say, that a "network drive" is not quite the same
thing, as a "drive", where, in the case of FTP "network drives", it's
different even more so, than it is in the case of WebDav "network drives".

> Note that in your screenshot, all your 'Drive's are together in the
> 'Devices and drives' section of FE. Apparently Windows 10 FE has
> 'Drive', 'Removable Disk' and 'Local Disk' in this section. (8.1 just
> has names and icons.) Anyway, the point is that in this section, all
> things are *non*-'Network Drive's.

Indeed.
o FTP shares show up in the top "removable" drive section, while
o WebDAV shares show up in the bottom "network" drive section.

Yet, in both, I can right click and "Open command window here", which gives
me a command prompt on the "X:" file system, which then allows me to run
DOS commands *directly* on the mounted filesystem.

But they act slightly differently to a "X:" command undertaken from the C:
location inside a command prompt window.

> As said, the drive 'X:' you created via the 'net use' command is a
> *Network* Drive and hence appears in the 'Network locations' section of
> FE.
> So there is a difference between a 'Removable Disk' (K: in your
> screenshot) and a Network Drive (X: in your screenshot).

The difference exists, that's for sure.
Luckily, both allow "Open command prompt here" to work.

But, as noted, they work differently with respect to the command prompt:
o You can do more with FTP shares, than you can with WebDAV shares

> For a 'Removable Disk', you can do an 'Eject'.
> For a Network Drive, you can do a 'Disconnect' or 'net use /delete'.

Yes. I noticed that the dismounts were different between them.
o We eject FTP drives
o We disconnect WebDAV drives

I'm not sure what power that provides, but I did notice the delta.

>> Notice, by way of contrast, that FTP shares do show up as literally a
>> "removable drive".
>> o DirectNetDrive <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6340420dir012.jpg>
>> o NetDrive v1.3.2.0 <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1383190dir014.jpg
>
> Indeed. While these drives are *associated* with a network, they are
> *not* Network Drives (i.e. do not appear in the 'Network locations'
> section of FE), but are 'normal' drives, just as any drive in the
> 'Devices and drives' section of FE. So these drives are the same type as
> your C: drive.
>
> I hope this has unconfused things a bit! :-)

Thanks, Frank Slootweg, for taking the energy to explain the networking
part of things.

As I noted, I'm very good with the problem set, and I'm fantastic at
empirically arriving at a solution for almost any difficult problem set
(since I use the same tactics as ants use to find food).

What I'm terrible at, is the underlying expertise in Windows.

I just don't have it - and I don't spend my time obtaining it since I spend
my time solving problems that nobody else seems to have solved before.

To that end, I will continue to strive to solve these remaining issues:
1. *There is no working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi*
2. *There is no known freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB*

I have confidence that I will eventually solve both those problems (as I
almost never fail), but it won't be easy; and it will likely take a few
golden nuggets of knowledge from the intelligent adults on this newsgroup,
like you, in order to do so.

Thanks.

--
Funnel. Mirror.
Strategy. Tactics.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 3:52:05 PM10/23/18
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:46:57 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> It must be true, as you say, that a "network drive" is not quite the same
> thing, as a "drive", where, in the case of FTP "network drives", it's
> different even more so, than it is in the case of WebDav "network drives".

Typo/thinko...

The FTP is a "removable drive" while the WebDAV is a "network drive".

Frank Slootweg

Oct 23, 2018, 4:51:45 PM10/23/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2018 16:16:07 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[...]
> > The main problem is his MO when interacting with people who he
> > 'disagrees' with for some strange 'reason's. He tries to justify that
> > MO, but before you know it, he again draws first blood and things go
> > down hill with lightning speed.
>
> Frank Slootweg - we have been down this path too many times.

Indeed, *you* have been down this path too many times.

You *try* to justify your behaviour, but *nobody* - absolutely nobody
- is buying your justification.

So until there's actually someone who *is* buying your justification
and *says* so, cut the crap.

[Crap deleted.]

nospam

Oct 23, 2018, 4:54:30 PM10/23/18
In article <pqo8lo...@ID-201911.user.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> > > The main problem is his MO when interacting with people who he
> > > 'disagrees' with for some strange 'reason's. He tries to justify that
> > > MO, but before you know it, he again draws first blood and things go
> > > down hill with lightning speed.
> >
> > Frank Slootweg - we have been down this path too many times.
>
> Indeed, *you* have been down this path too many times.
>
> You *try* to justify your behaviour, but *nobody* - absolutely nobody
> - is buying your justification.
>
> So until there's actually someone who *is* buying your justification
> and *says* so, cut the crap.
>
> [Crap deleted.]

now look what you've done. earlier today you were his bff. not anymore!

Carlos E. R.

Oct 23, 2018, 5:09:32 PM10/23/18
On 23/10/2018 21.21, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2018 16:16:07 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
>> No, AFAIK the portmapping issue is not solved and - AFAIK - getting a
>> SMB server on non-rooted Android to work - i.e. even with a port higher
>> than 1024 - is not solved yet.
>
> While we've solved a lot of common problems in this thread...
> there is far much more for intelligent people to improve:
> 1. There is no working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
> 2. There is no known freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB
>
> I have confidence that I will eventually solve both those problems (as I
> almost never fail), but it won't be easy; and it will likely take a few
> golden nuggets of knowledge from the intelligent adults on this newsgroup
> to do so.
>
>> To be fair, I think he actually does both, i.e. does some research and
>> 'expects' others to do the rest. In some cases , the research part is
>> minimal to (nearly) absent. In other cases, there's quite a bit of
>> research, but the prresentation is ... ummm .. 'sub-optimal'. :-)
>
> What Frank Slootweg wrote is correct in that I do a lot more research than
> the likes of proven morons such as Rudy Wieser can _ever_ comprehend; but,
> it's also true that I ask questions when solutions that may exist are
> unknown to me.

Lot of whatever deleted. If you keep commenting on how stupid or clever
is somebody, or if somebody is an adult or a child, I stop reading.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 6:23:49 PM10/23/18
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 23:09:30 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Lot of whatever deleted. If you keep commenting on how stupid or clever
> is somebody, or if somebody is an adult or a child, I stop reading.

Hi Carlos E.R.,

Perfect!
You're _finally_ comprehending the obvious!

It's perhaps likely that I've solved more difficult problems in the past
year than you've _ever_ solved in your entire life, Carlos E.R.

At least based on what your lack of added value seems to indicate.

Since you have no added value, I want to alienate you, Carlos E.R.
And you prove time and again to have no added value.

Please just go away, Carlos.
Because you can't add _any_ added value to the problem set.

You just can't.
You prove it in every post.

So by going away, you're doing _exactly_ what I ask you do to.
Which benefits _everyone_.

The less you post your worthless drivel, the more we can find the one or
two people out of 1000 who actually can improve our knowledge.

To wit, the unanswered questions remain:
1. What is a working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
2. What is a freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 6:23:50 PM10/23/18
On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 16:54:30 -0400, nospam wrote:

> now look what you've done. earlier today you were his bff. not anymore!

Hi nospam,

I see you prove you can't add a single iota of added value:
1. What is a working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
2. What is a freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB

You, like Frank, both only comprehend what appears to be capricious to you,
sort of like how someone who can't comprehend quantum mechanics feels that
the state of Shroedingers' cat is capricious.
o When you act like a child, nospam, I treat you as a child
o When you act like an adult, nospam, I treat you as an adult

Since you prove you own the mind of a child, you can't _comprehend_ that.

If it seems I'm trying to alienate you, nospam, as the worthless vermin
that you prove to me, then you'd be correct.

*You know why I can very safely alienate you worthless vermin, nospam?*

HINT: What's the answer to the question below?
1. What is your working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
2. What is your freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 6:23:51 PM10/23/18
On 23 Oct 2018 20:51:44 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> Indeed, *you* have been down this path too many times.
>
> You *try* to justify your behaviour, but *nobody* - absolutely nobody
> - is buying your justification.
>
> So until there's actually someone who *is* buying your justification
> and *says* so, cut the crap.

Hi Frank Slootweg,
You made an incorrect statement akin to:
o The cops keep giving me speeding tickets for doing nothing

I explained why your statement is only the 2nd half of the picture.
o You speed first
o Then the cops give you a speeding ticket

You just proved that you don't comprehend that concept.
I knew that you don't comprehend it since you proved it in the prior post.

SO that's now _twice_ in series that you proved you don't comprehend
o A bank robber _first_ robs the bank
o Only after the bank robber robs the bank, do the police arrest him

What you only see is the arrest.
You don't see the bank robbery.

I've proved this to you many times, Frank Slootweg, where all I have to do
to prove it is point to your own posts.
o When you act like a child, Frank, I treat you as a child
o When you act like an adult, I treat you as an adult

You only see how I treat you - you never see that it's a *mirror* of your
actions, just as nospam will never see that I treat him (and everyone else)
exactly the same way.

You can't see when you rob the bank, Frank.
You blamed the police for your conviction on bank robbery, Frank.

You've done this so many times that I can predict you will continue it.
Hence, you prove every time that you don't comprehend what a mirror is.

Arlen Holder

Oct 23, 2018, 6:36:55 PM10/23/18
Here is added value for WinXP users from another thread moments ago...

//Win2K and WinXP WebDAV Notes

For implementation of WebDAV on Windows XP and later , MSFT made it's
own interpretation of the standard to work best with the Windows IIS
servers. The problem due to this is three fold:

Windows XP authenticates users using the format "domain\username"
by the mechanism of "Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/5.1.2600". Whereas
Windows 98SE/2000 authenticates users as "username" using the
mechanism of "Microsoft Data Access Internet Publishing Provider DAV
1.1".
The problem lies with the implementation of
"Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/5.1.2600". If authentication is sent as
"domain\username" then it would be received as "usernamedomain" or
"usernamehostname" by the Web server and not as "username".
Also as per "Microsoft Knowledge Base, Article ID: 841215" Windows
XP disables "Basic Auth" in its "Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/5.1.2600"
mechanism by default for security reasons. But WebDAV expects "Basic
Auth".//

Carlos E.R.

Oct 23, 2018, 8:48:07 PM10/23/18
On 24/10/2018 00.23, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 23:09:30 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> Lot of whatever deleted. If you keep commenting on how stupid or clever
>> is somebody, or if somebody is an adult or a child, I stop reading.
>
> Hi Carlos E.R.,
>
> Perfect!
> You're _finally_ comprehending the obvious!
>
> It's perhaps likely that I've solved more difficult problems in the past
> year than you've _ever_ solved in your entire life, Carlos E.R.
>
> At least based on what your lack of added value seems to indicate.
>
> Since you have no added value, I want to alienate you, Carlos E.R.
> And you prove time and again to have no added value.
>
> Please just go away, Carlos.
> Because you can't add _any_ added value to the problem set.
>
> You just can't.
> You prove it in every post.
>
> So by going away, you're doing _exactly_ what I ask you do to.
> Which benefits _everyone_.
>
> The less you post your worthless drivel, the more we can find the one or
> two people out of 1000 who actually can improve our knowledge.

Blah blah blah. Insults ignored.

> To wit, the unanswered questions remain:
> 1. What is a working non-root solution for SMB mounting over WiFi
> 2. What is a freeware solution for MTP mounting over USB

I don't care. :-P

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Arlen Holder

Oct 24, 2018, 6:35:36 AM10/24/18
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 02:47:42 +0200, Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I don't care. :-P

The only thing that matters, really, to further our tribal knowledge, is:
o A general solution to run any Windows command on Android over USB
o And freeware to mount Android as a drive letter over WiFi using SMB

Those are the remaining open questions that are on topic for this thread.
Anything else is a waste of all our time, including yours and mine.

Carlos E. R.

Oct 24, 2018, 11:25:24 AM10/24/18
Then, PLEASE! No insults! Keep to the problem.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Arlen Holder

Oct 24, 2018, 11:50:18 AM10/24/18
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 17:25:22 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Then, PLEASE! No insults! Keep to the problem.

I completely understand your request Carlos, because I am a mirror.
I mirror your posts in an attempt to funnel you into being an adult.

You don't seem to comprehend, even now, the simple concept of a *mirror*.

*Every response you hate, simply points out what _you_ wrote.*
o If you act like an adult, I treat you as an adult
o If you act like a child, I treat you as a child

What you're asking show you think like a child does:
1. You first rob the bank.
2. Then you complain that the newspaper points that out.

All I'm doing, Carlos, is pointing out what people write.
o If what they write is useful, I thank them
o If what they write is childish, I point that out

It's a mirror, Carlos.
A funnel, Carlos.

If someone posts childish drivel that just wastes everyone's time,
you don't want me to point that out to the poster. I completely
understand you Carlos. I really do.

You don't understand me.
o My strategy is to funnel you into acting like an adult
* My tactics include mirroring your posts as proof of your own actions

Moving forward as always, this morning I tested another FTP freeware
share-mounting app, last updated a decade ago, which didn't report errors,
but which didn't work either, so it's a flop.
o Screenshot <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4023721dir025.jjpg.jpg>
o FTPDrive 3.5 <http://www.killprog.com/fdrve.html>
o Saved to: C:\software\network\ftp\ftpdrive
o Checksum of:
Name: FDinst.exe
Size: 219159 bytes (0 MB)
SHA256: E04B3FFD271A005E10A30E0744D1202E0A4910579975AAD8128B53AE5B4E126A
o It wants to go into C:\Program Files (x86)\KillSoft\FtpDrive
o I installed to: C:\app\network\ftp\ftpdrive
o Executable: C:\app\network\ftp\ftpdrive\FtpDrive.exe

The FTPDrive 3.5 executable created a drive letter, X:, but, the
contents of that drive were empty. So it was a flop as tested.

If someone else could test FTPDrive out, and if it works for them,
(particularly if they use default paths), then that would add
yet another FTP-share-mounting solution to the Windows/Android
cross-platform tribal knowledge.

The goal, always, is a universal solution for everyone.
(I already have _plenty_ of solutions for myself.)

M.L.

Oct 25, 2018, 6:49:59 PM10/25/18

>> The only thing that matters, really, to further our tribal knowledge, is:

>> o And freeware to mount Android as a drive letter over WiFi using SMB

Total Commander - file manager (Android)
http://bit.ly/2Ri0xMU
free, SMBv2 support, no ads, requires plugins, busy and unintuitive
interface

Arlen Holder

Oct 25, 2018, 9:24:50 PM10/25/18
Ooooh. At this late stage in the Usenet thread, I had no longer expected
any more potentially helpful posts, so I very much *appreciate* that you
are the 1 in 1,000 who can help us move the ball forward on these two open
questions:
o *A general solution to run any Windows command on Android over USB*
o *Non-root freeware mounting Android as a drive letter on WiFi using SMB*

Usually, if the advice doesn't come in the first couple of days, it's never
going to arrive as nobody knows the answer.

I've used "Total Commander" before as a file manager, and I "think" we
covered it when we covered SMB, so it will be interesting if it can work
with non-root Android phones.

I downloaded version 2.91 from Google Play (since I didn't have an APK):
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander>

Being non-root, I didn't see _any_ SMB commands in the main GUI,
so I hit the "add plugins" button which took me to
<https://www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/googleplay>

Where I see free plugins for:
o FTP <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.FTP>
o Google Drive <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.drive>
SMB <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.LAN>
SFTP <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.SFTP>
DropBox <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.totaldrip>
WebDAV <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.WebDAV>
Android-to-Android <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.wifitransfer>
OneDrive <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.WindowsLive>
USB <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.tcplugins_ntfs_ro>

I will check out the SMB plugin:
<https://www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/download/>
Which, outside of Google Play, is here:
<http://totalcommander.ch/aplg/tcandroidlan306.apk>

Thanks for suggesting Total Commander with the SMB plugin, as it takes
nuggets of information from the 1 out of 1,000 people on this ng to move
the combined tribal knowledge forward for everyone.

Arlen Holder

Oct 27, 2018, 3:32:26 AM10/27/18
On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 01:24:50 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Thanks for suggesting Total Commander with the SMB plugin, as it takes
> nuggets of information from the 1 out of 1,000 people on this ng to move
> the combined tribal knowledge forward for everyone.

Bummer.

I tested the SMB plugin to Total Commander, which seemed to be a flop.
o It appears to be an SMB "client", not an SMB server.
o That makes all the difference in the world.

Looking at the reviews, I saw the same errors everyone else saw.
o Even so, it was trying to connect to my Windows SMB server!
o That means the plugin is an SMB client!

Is that plugin only an SMB client?
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.tcplugins.LAN>
<https://www.ghisler.com/androidplugins/download/>
<http://totalcommander.ch/aplg/tcandroidlan306.apk>

Maybe there is "magic" in an Android SMB client, but what I was asking
about was an SMB server that will work non-root with the native Windows SMB
client.

The "problem" (as Frank Slootweg knows better than I do), with SMB servers
on Android is that (modern) Windows SMB is hard coded to TCP port 445 at
the same time that Android non-root is hard coded to not allow an app to
use any port lower than 1024.

The only solution I've ever found on the net didn't work for me because the
Android freeware SMB server the guy used doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Android: How to share folder over WiFi and access them from a Windows computer without rooting Android (using a Samba/SMB/CIFS server, a virtual computer, and some port-mapping)
<https://techforpassion.blogspot.com/2013/12/android-how-to-share-folder-over-wifi.html>

The Android non-root SMB server app he used was this (no longer exists):
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba>

I assume his solution worked (because he seemed credible); so if we can
just find a free non-root SMB server app for Android, we might have the
general solution for everyone - but it requires messing with ports on
Windows so it's not the simple solution we would expect out of SMB:
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11525703/port-forwarding-in-windows>

What's ironic is that to mount Android on Windows, SMB is the _worst_
method - and yet - you'd think SMB would be the _best_ method. Sigh.

*In summary, we have two fantastic methods that work for everyone:*
o Android WebDAV shares connected to native Windows over WiFi
o Android ftp shares connected to freeware on Windows over WiFi

*In summary, we do not yet have a general solution that works for all of:*
o Android SMB shares connected to native Windows over WiFi
o Android MTP filesystems over USB (we have crippleware that does this)

As a related, perhaps minor, aside, I just found out an hour ago that the
FTPUse "Dokan" file system freeware on Windows (akin to FUSE on Linux)
seems to be incompatible with the MPTDrive "Dokan" file system on Windows:
How do you figure out what programs are using the "Dokan Library" freeware?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/IEOpBrnegcs>

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:30 AM11/2/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
news:pqna6e$hfq$4...@news.mixmin.net Tue, 23 Oct 2018 14:11:27 GMT in
:) I appreciate you once again admitting that something I wrote (I'll
show your new found audience that you lifted those quotes directly
from me in a moment) does have technical value. Now, explain to me
how I'm stupid, a moron, etc, when you've quoted my words, verbatim
twice now in this very thread and admitted it's technical value.

And yes, I'm going to use the post that clearly shows you really do
have reading comprehension issues as proof of where those quotes
originated as well as your initial, FAILURE TO COMPREHEND what I
wrote. To the point where you attempted to attack me and invited
others to join in. [g]

As anyone who follows the thread can see though, it blew up in your
face. You initially didn't understand what I wrote, and, attempted do
your lack of understanding to attack me; and you quickly learned, it
was YOU in error. Here's your post, questioning what you've now
admitted for the second time in the same thread IS valuable technical
information, provided by me and only by me. [g]

From: Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Subject: Re: Does freeware exist on Windows that will mount (as a
drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:25:07 -0000 (UTC)

Is it just me, or are these two verbatim quotes about "net use"
WebDav support in this thread, both from the same person, completely
contradictory?

Verbatim quote 1:
"Win2k and down net use does NOT support WebDAV on their own.
You have to use 3rd party utilities if you want to map a drive
via webDAV in those cases."

Verbatim quote 2:
"Starting with Windows XP, net use does support WebDAV, natively.
Do you remember one of the touted new features of XP?
The so called 'web folders'? Well, that's how it works."

Am I the only one having trouble comprehending Diesel's posts?

*** end paste

You may continue ignoring my newer posts which are asking you point
blank, blunt, very pointed questions calling you out for the things
you wrote that aren't true, if you'd like. It won't stop me from
continuing to point out your mistakes, and, laugh a bit about it as I
do. You've earned that from me, at this point, Arlen. You want to act
like an immature child, I'll happily treat you like one.

Matter of fact, I'm going to convert your question into a tagline for
future laughs for others benefit. Yes, it's that kind of tagline
material. Especially when you call others, idiots, stupid, morons,
etc.. And then you go and do something as stupid as you did in that
post...Do you see the irony Arlen? It's staring you right in the
face, nice n bright.

Btw, I re-inserted alt.comp.freeware; I thought some/maybe one other
might like to see you trolling other newsgroups and lifting my
material verbatim as you do so. It's so nice of you to again, admit
it has technical value, after two other posters had to explain how
the statements aren't contradictory. You realize by posting that
question with those examples, you can no longer deny that you
actually do, as in real life, have a reading comprehension issue..
Right? I mean, seriously, there's no way for you to deny it now. You
really stepped into a pile of shit this time, Arlen. I don't think
you're going to be able to save those shoes.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:31 AM11/2/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
news:pqo7q6$2d6$1...@news.mixmin.net Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:36:55 GMT in
comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> Here is added value for WinXP users from another thread moments
> ago...

In another newsgroup at that. It comes from alt.comp.freeware,
written by Shadow. Lifted and pasted in other newsgroups for who
knows what reason.
This is the second reply to you that you lifted and edited again,
without crediting the author (Shadow from alt.comp.freeware); you
didn't include the full context and the followup post to it,
so...since I'm interested in keeping you honest with the suckers who
don't know you and actually think you're asking for genuine help,
I'll share the full context and properly credit the author. No need
to thank me, it's my civil duty.

From: Shadow <S...@dow.br>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:30:14 -0200
I have more trouble understanding what you are trying to
acomplish.

** end snippit.

Shadow asked you a follow up question, too:

From: Shadow <S...@dow.br>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:02:02 -0200

I'm sure Diesel could figure out how to take a screenshot, but
he probably has more important things to do. But he DID point out
that the auth was different between win 2000 and XP.
Did you thank him ?

** end snippit

The answer to his question is No, you did not thank me. Nor have you
credited me for the quotes you've used concerning Webdav and what
versions of windows natively support it via net use. Despite me and
only me being the one to tell you. It's okay though, I realize that
I'm dealing with a very immature and childish individual who's
incapable of doing much of a technical nature without extensive hand
holding. And even then, due to proven (as in factually verified using
your own posts no less) reading comprehension issues, it can be
extreme hand holding in many cases.

It seems to me, and do correct me if I'm wrong on this one Arlen,
that you're a bit (quite a bit actually) on the dishonest side with
some of your posts here. You're intentionally omitting certain
information (origination source, for one example). Are you more than
just a troll then, Arlen? By more, I mean are you actually as
dishonest as you appear to be with your quoting, snipping, etc,
efforts? I can handle a troll to a point, I don't filter right away
(if ever).. but, I don't deal well with easily shown to be dishonest
people, Arlen. There's simply no need for it here.

Please do explain how I've got the wrong impression of you here. Not
enough sleep for me, mebbe, too little/much coffee? Completely
misunderstood you and the intentions behind the posts? Give me
something (preferrably believable) that shows you aren't the
dishonest fucking troll I'm starting to think you are...?

Thanks in advance. Also, alt.comp.freeware added to this reply. You
lifted material from there so it's only right you be exposed for
having done that AND not properly crediting either of the persons
(myself and Shadow) who gave it to you in the first place.

In case you haven't noticed, Arlen, I'm not going to go away anytime
soon. You've actually managed to become a slight annoyance. Enough so
that i'll continue to track your posts and as I've done with this
one, expose you for what you are. There's no need for others who
don't already know you to have to deal with your nonsense and
childish insults; which invariably come their way at some point, even
if you're initially praising them.

They can avoid the entire hassle by electing NOT to respond to a post
of yours. Just leave you to piss in the wind and find answers on your
own. I've yet to see a single post from anybody on the newsgroups
I've found you posting in so far that cares or has requested any sort
of 'tribal knowledge' notes or anything like that from you. Not one
post so far. If you have one, please, share the MID so that I may
read it.

Oh wait, you thought that you couldn't be tracked due to the
extensive effort you place into your Anonymity via header
modification (forged data, piles of it)? Don't be so naive, Arlen.
You leave cookie crumbs all over the place. A kid could track you.

To be fair,although my header shows i'm using es, I'm not directly
linked to the es server. *hint 1* There's a computer on this network
that's playing middleman *hint 2*; which giving proper credit where
credit is due, allows me to track you with great ease. I'd have a
more difficult time had my configuration been that of a normal user.

I'm not running scripts and a dedicated text writing app as you are,
the client i'm using is real, the 'scripts' you use are exes I wrote
in my case which directly interact with the data files this client
creates and makes use of (entirely my own reverse engineering
efforts, thank you very much; I cheated in no possible way) as well
as the software package that plays the part of middleman on another
system. *hint 3*; very direct hint this one is.

The box itself is linux native, but, the software package I'm
intentionally not mentioning by name (it's not uncommon; i'm just
being an asshole, on purpose, towards you) is not linux native, nor
are the exe files I wrote which interact with it.

By interact, they do some behind the scenes work for me. Batch sends
of posts in a random order and randomized amount of posts per send
being one example. Unique FQDN lines being another example. Ahh, the
benefits of being a coder...

It's so beneficial, I wrote a 'bot' of sorts which helps me keep
track of you. hehe. No, Arlen, I'm not stalking you and a simple
morphing on your part would evade it for now (I can put an end to
that too, I already tested proof of concept code to do it; in the
event you want to run and hide) but not if I don't want you to evade
me. <G>

I have absolutely no way of learning who you are irl, your IP address
or anything else like that from the information I'm using to keep
track of you; so you're just as safe now as you were yesterday as far
as any of that is concerned. And, if by some fucked up chance I run
across a post where such information could be acquired (I'd hope you
weren't so stupid at any point), I will NOT use it nor point others
to it.

I have no interest in you on a personal level. None whatsoever. I
don't want/or care to know who you are. You're an asshole enough from
the limited interaction I've had with you already.

With all of that said, Arlen, I have a couple of very simple
questions for you. I'd appreciate others not chiming in until you've
had a chance to do so..not that I have any control over it, either
way, just expressing my opinion/small request that I don't deserve.
Especially since i've 'invaded' various newsgroups by responding to
you. :(

I apologize to all the regulars for this post. Although my FQDN line
is subject to change at any time, you may easily killfile me by using
my from line; I don't change it very often. And, if/when I do so
later, I'll expose myself so that filters can be properly adjusted.

Now then, to my questions...

1) Based on what I described above in a hinting manner..Do you know
what I'm doing? Re-read what I wrote above, slowly, before
responding.

2) Would the aforementioned hinted about 'task' the computer is doing
be a server side thing, a client side thing, or both, Arlen?

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
Your psychedelic state of being is just supersonic.

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:32 AM11/2/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
news:pqle6o$eoc$1...@news.mixmin.net Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:07:37 GMT in
comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2018 13:51:21 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:
>
>> 1. 'Map network drive' and 'net use' can not handle FTP syntax,
>> period.
>
> To be clear to all, Frank and I are in complete agreement on
> _everything_ that Frank wrote in that post above.

Frank wasn't the first to tell you that you cannot use UNC via FTP. I
was, several weeks ago.

> Specifically, after much experimentation, this morning, I gave up
> on trying to mount Android FTP shares over WiFi as a "removable
> drive" drive letter using only native Windows "net use" commands.

Again, weeks ago, I already told you that you couldn't use it in the
manner in which you were trying.

> Ironically, as Frank astutely noted, "net use" works great with
> WebDAV shares under the exact same conditions (even down to my
> tests changing the ports and login credentials).

Of course it does. It has since Windows XP, as I told you,
previously.

> I changed the login credentials and ports to match them as best I
> could, and the results were astounding (to me).
>
> WebDAV works:
> o net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis

Yep.

> FTP fails:
> o net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis

Yep.

> Why?

See below.

> Hell if I know why.

That's obvious. You know very little...In spite of your claims to the
contrary.

> Someone (like Rudy?) who understands Windows will have to explain
> why. :)

It's quite simple. FTP does NOT support UNC. UNC and FTP don't know
each other. Never have, never will. FTP is an ancient by todays
standards protocol; no changes are going to be made to it anytime
soon to give you any UNC support. That's just not happening. So much
code would have to be modified to allow for it, that you'd just wind
up breaking a pile of ftp servers and clients. For no gain.

Shame you wanted to be an immature little asshole towards me for
weeks now. You could have been using drive letters, mounted to your
internal/external memory (available or not, your choice) via your
entire network, had you manned up for what you did, accepted
responsibility for it, 0wned your fuckup as they say where I'm from.

In the unlikely event you didn't already know, you've exceeded the
amount of time I was willing to wait on that apology by a significant
margin. Perhaps that's why you're slowing down on posts in that
thread and appear to be giving up? Can't find anyone willing to show
you how to do it, even for nothing more than to spite me? Pooh backed
out when offered, I noticed. Nice of the idiot to suggest a symlink
to you, wasn't it? How did that advice workout for you Arlen?

Come to think of it, has any of his suggestions (I bet he laughed his
fucking ass off reading your posts about libmtp) actually given you
those 'DOS' friendly drive letters you've been asking for?

You know that Windows NT doesn't have DOS though, right? What you're
calling 'DOS' is an emulated console environment. With 64bit systems,
16bit native code emulation is no more. It can still be run on those
systems, but a 3rd party app is required to play middleman.

There's no IO.SYS/MSDOS.SYS, ibm.com, etc etc etc, used for the
purposes of an NT startup, Arlen. Unlike windows 9x family and the 3x
family, NT doesn't ride on top of, or share code common natively with
DOS. It's not a glorified 'shell'.

Remember, pooh told you that net use only supported samba. YOU (yes,
you) noticed net use (by trying it no doubt, you didn't know
beforehand) noticed it worked with webdav too.

I told you it has supported webdav since the Windows XP days and even
went so far as to provide a demonstration of it that was touted as a
new 'feature' of Windows XP.

Viva la 'Web Folders'. Hehehe. Windows XP has been out for a long
long time Arlen. There's no excuse for someone like pooh with the
self proclaimed expertise (on multiple occasions mind you) to not
have known that. None whatsoever. Pooh slipped up again (it's rare,
but it happens) and showed his hand again. He's a considerable
bullshitter, don't ya know.

Ahem, well, you know that now... [g] Despite still praising him and
intentionally not crediting me for my posts that you find are
beneficial. I think that's pretty good, considering you've previously
referred to me as a moron, stupid, etc. I'm stupid, yet I provided
two posts (hehe, quite a bit more, but who's counting) that you
yourself admit have technical value. Thanks, I guess?

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
Man who run behind car get exhausted.

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:32 AM11/2/18
Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid>
news:pqnoh2...@ID-201911.user.individual.net Tue, 23 Oct 2018
16:16:07 GMT in comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> The main problem is his MO when interacting with people who he
> 'disagrees' with for some strange 'reason's. He tries to justify
> that MO, but before you know it, he again draws first blood and
> things go down hill with lightning speed.

Indeed. He quoted something I wrote, verbatim, crediting it's useful
technical value; but not mentioning the person who wrote it (me). Very
adult and mature, wouldn't you say? I'm not sure how he can justify
calling me a moron, stupid, etc, when he lifts something I wrote,
verbatim and credits it for the technical value. Does he not realize
he's contradicting himself by doing that?

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
Computer Lie #1: You'll never use all that disk space.

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:33 AM11/2/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
news:pqivmu$mti$1...@news.mixmin.net Sun, 21 Oct 2018 22:47:59 GMT in
comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 16:42:22 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
>> Mapping a share to a drive letter, works for smb.
>> https://www.howtogeek.com/118452/how-to-map-network-drives-from-th
>> e-command-prompt-in-windows/
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I appreciate you're trying to help, since this is the holy grail
> for mounting FTP "shares" over WiFi as a drive letter on Windows
> using nothing on Windows but the native "net use" command (which
> we _know_ must work!).

It's not a holy grail, and I'll remind you, I offered to tell you
exactly what you needed to do; with one condition. An apology for
your assinine comments towards me. You didn't provide one, I didn't
provide you the detailed information you're continuing to ask others
for help with. How's that working out for you so far? :)

> I'm sorry this is so complex - where I think only Frank Slootweg
> and I seem to have a clear handle on the complexity.

It's *NOT* complex.

> With respect to mounting Android FTP "shares" as a drive letter on
> Windows using "net use" syntax.. the problem, as I see it, is
> _only_ of syntax. Nothing else.

You clearly don't understand how FTP works then. It's not an issue of
syntax. UNC is NOT understood by FTP, period.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
Sleep is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:34 AM11/2/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
news:pqn342$4lg$1...@news.mixmin.net Tue, 23 Oct 2018 12:10:43 GMT in
comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> If I'm not clear Rudy, let me know.
>
> BTW, to add value, it came up in the a.c.f thread the following,
> which others may benefit from, particularly those, like Rudy, on
> older versions of Windows - which is very useful technical
> information for those of you on older Windows who still wish to do
> what we've done here to mount Android file systems onto Windows in
> order to run Windows commands directly on them:

I see you didn't credit me for telling you about this... Yet, you
felt free to quote directly from me, verbatim. Nice of you. So, about
that apology for having called me a moron, previously? Since when do
you quote morons and proceed to claim what they (not you) wrote is
useful technical information? <BIG FUCKING GRIN>

> "Win2k and down net use does NOT support WebDAV on their own.
> You have to use 3rd party utilities if you want to map a drive
> via webDAV in those cases."

Ayep. Would you like the MID of MY message that you quoted this from?
*I* was the one who told you about this, not pooh, not frank, not
anybody else. *I* did. Pooh for example misinformed you by telling
you that net use only supported samba. Windows XP has been around for
a very long fucking time and has supported webdav natively via built
in client since it's release...nearly two decades ago. There's no
valid reason for a 'tech' or 'network' wizard, engineer, etc, not to
know that. Unless, they've been BULLSHITTING about their expertise
the entire time.

Here's what you initially wrote about it though, until a couple of
others on the thread jumped in to explain how off you were...
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:25:07 -0000 (UTC)

Is it just me, or are these two verbatim quotes about "net use"
WebDav support in this thread, both from the same person, completely
contradictory?

Verbatim quote 1:
"Win2k and down net use does NOT support WebDAV on their own.
You have to use 3rd party utilities if you want to map a drive
via webDAV in those cases."

Verbatim quote 2:
"Starting with Windows XP, net use does support WebDAV, natively.
Do you remember one of the touted new features of XP?
The so called 'web folders'? Well, that's how it works."

Am I the only one having trouble comprehending Diesel's posts?

*** end paste

> Since Rudy is on WinXP (I believe), then maybe _he_ can act like
> an adult to figure out what those 3rd-party utilities might be.
> That would be an adult thing to do - which would be to _add
> value_.
> But it would take an adult to actually add technical value to this
> thread.

Indeed, You quoted a piece of my post and credited it for it's
technical value. Any particular reason you didn't credit me as the
author? It's easy enough to verify I wrote it. Is this an example of
your superior adult attitude vs my own, Arlen? It seems rather
childish to quote me, admit the technical value and not credit me for
the information you acquired, at no cost.

I've learned in the brief (thankfully) period of time I've interacted
with you though that you aren't what you claim to be and don't do the
things you claim you'll do. You're intentionally dishonest, shifty,
and rather obnoxious with your grade school level insults. It would
be much more amusing if it wasn't the upper limit of your abilities.
That I find to be somewhat, saddening.

Case in point:
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
drive letter) Android connected via USB as MTP?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 19:25:07 -0000 (UTC)

Is it just me, or are these two verbatim quotes about "net use"
WebDav support in this thread, both from the same person, completely
contradictory?

Verbatim quote 1:
"Win2k and down net use does NOT support WebDAV on their own.
You have to use 3rd party utilities if you want to map a drive
via webDAV in those cases."

Verbatim quote 2:
"Starting with Windows XP, net use does support WebDAV, natively.
Do you remember one of the touted new features of XP?
The so called 'web folders'? Well, that's how it works."

Am I the only one having trouble comprehending Diesel's posts?

*** end paste

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
If God hadn't wanted me to be paranoid, He wouldn't have given me
such a vivid imagination.

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 4:03:34 AM11/2/18
Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
news:pqlgb0$i2r$1...@news.mixmin.net Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:44:01 GMT in
comp.mobile.android, wrote:

> To pay Frank back the favor, I showed him (and everyone else) how
> to mount the WebDAV shares using only native Windows - which only
> Frank seems to appreciate the sheer beauty of when you compare
> what happens with FTP shares under the same circumstances.

ROFL. I'd be very surprised to learn that nobody knew that prior to
your 'demonstration'. And, you may thank ME! for the background history
concerning it. Especially considering you've already admitted it's
technical value. [g]

> While I am likely only of average intelligence, you, Rudy, are so
> far below the bell curve that it's shocking that nobody has
> informed you yet.

I'm sorry, but, based on the limited amount of interactions I've had
with you, and this example post:

It would appear to be you who has information processing problems. Not
Rudy.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
It is incumbent on us to avoid archaisms.

Frank Slootweg

Nov 2, 2018, 3:05:08 PM11/2/18
Diesel <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> Arlen Holder <a%rlenh...@no.spam.net>
> news:pqle6o$eoc$1...@news.mixmin.net Mon, 22 Oct 2018 21:07:37 GMT in
> comp.mobile.android, wrote:
[...]

> > WebDAV works:
> > o net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis
>
> Yep.
>
> > FTP fails:
> > o net use X: \\192.168.1.7@8000\DCIM\Camera /user:francis francis
>
> Yep.
>
> > Why?
>
> See below.
>
> > Hell if I know why.
>
> That's obvious. You know very little...In spite of your claims to the
> contrary.
>
> > Someone (like Rudy?) who understands Windows will have to explain
> > why. :)
>
> It's quite simple. FTP does NOT support UNC. UNC and FTP don't know
> each other. Never have, never will. FTP is an ancient by todays
> standards protocol; no changes are going to be made to it anytime
> soon to give you any UNC support. That's just not happening. So much
> code would have to be modified to allow for it, that you'd just wind
> up breaking a pile of ftp servers and clients. For no gain.

Not that it matters, because the end result is the same, but (IMO) the
issue is not so much that "FTP does NOT support UNC", but that 'net use'
(and the underlying components) have no support to map a drive letter to
a FTP server.

Theoretically speaking, 'net use' *could* have a FTP syntax similar to
the WebDAV syntax. The point is that is *does not* have it.

'net use' can/does already handle 'dotted domain name' in its '/USER:'
option, can/does already handle IP addresses in its 'computer' name
parameter and can/does already handle port numbers, so there is no
technical reason that 'net use' couldn't map a drive letter to a ftp
server. The third-party add-one FtpUse [1] shows that all of this is
techincally feasible, it 'just' hasn't been implemented. :-)

So (IMO) the point is that - for very good reasons - Microsoft (and
others) never added FTP (server) support to 'net use' et al.

[...]

[1] <https://www.ferrobackup.com/map-ftp-as-disk.html>

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 3:15:47 PM11/2/18
Diesel <m...@privacy.net> news:XnsA98E2B...@YMHc9WdP.R3Ec Fri,
*BUMP* ROFL.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
engineers?
Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers build targets.

Diesel

Nov 2, 2018, 10:00:34 PM11/2/18
Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid>
news:prial9...@ID-201911.user.individual.net Fri, 02 Nov 2018
19:05:05 GMT in alt.comp.freeware, wrote:

> Theoretically speaking, 'net use' *could* have a FTP syntax
> similar to
> the WebDAV syntax. The point is that is *does not* have it.

It doesn't because the ftp server itself really wouldn't know what
net use was asking of it. It would have to remain resident and serve
as a middleman to maintain a mounted drive letter to a share on the
ftp server.

> 'net use' can/does already handle 'dotted domain name' in its
> '/USER:'
> option, can/does already handle IP addresses in its 'computer'
> name parameter and can/does already handle port numbers, so there
> is no technical reason that 'net use' couldn't map a drive letter
> to a ftp server. The third-party add-one FtpUse [1] shows that all
> of this is techincally feasible, it 'just' hasn't been
> implemented. :-)

The third party ftpuse does it by doing what I described above. [g]
It remains resident to provide the mapped drive letter because it has
to do the go between work. IE: translate ftp server commands back and
forth so the user can copy/paste files, open files, etc on the
'mapped drive' which isn't really a mapped drive at all. It's a
virtual drive provided by what amounts to a semi modern tsr (do you
remember those?) that's doing the heavy lifting. It also has to check
in with the ftp server every so often, so the ftp server doesn't drop
the connection due to inactivity, unless the server isn't configured
for that.

Mine always are just because I don't want someone sitting at a prompt
all day,wasting a slot that someone else could be using who actually
wants to get files from the server or send some, if they have the
permission. So, squatting (sitting idle at a prompt just to be sure
you can get files whenever you want) is heavily frowned upon and if
continued could lead up to account deletion.

I never allow unlimited connections due to the nature of the contents
of the server, it's very restrictive and private access (as in you
have to know someone who already has an established account that's
willing to risk theirs by vouching for you to get one) So if you
fuckup as a new member, not only do you get shitcanned, but the
person who got you in goes out the door with you, no 2nd chance.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit here:
How can you tell the dance from the dancer?

Frank Slootweg

Nov 3, 2018, 11:09:36 AM11/3/18
[...]

Thanks for your response/explanation. As boring as it is, we're
totally on the same page.

[Rewind:]

> what amounts to a semi modern tsr (do you remember those?)

Yup! :-) Probably a decade or more *after* we already had this kind of
stuff in HP's Real-Time systems.

arlen holder

Jan 20, 2019, 8:30:01 PM1/20/19
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 17:24:15 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Do you have experience port forwarding SMB ports on Windows?
> Specifically forwarding SMB/CIFs TCP port 445 to higher than 1024?

IMPORTANT UPDATE!
(Please add to your local tribal knowledge archives.)

See also new information from Frank Slootweg & Paul & Dan Purgert & Poutnik
in this thread from today where we figured out that the Android freeware
SMB clients are using (apparently) SMBv1 while Windows 10 SMB server,
by default, expressly does not enable SMBv1 (Windows 10 apparently only
enables SMBv2 or SMBv3).
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/iIjcGCYnm-E>

The error message you get using the AndSMB client is cryptic:
o "at jcifs.e.a.c.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java: 761)"
o "Connecting, please wait ..."
o "Cannot change directory to /pubpc2"
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5615405smb_win10_default03.jpg>

What that AndSMB client error actually indicates is something like:
"The AndSMB client, using SMBv1, cannot connect to your Windows 10
SMB server because SMBv2 or SMBv3 is enabled, but not SMBv1."

To enable SMBv1 in Windows 10, all you need to do are these steps:
o Start > Run > control > OK
o Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off >
o Change from:
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal <=== I'm not sure what this is???
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
[_]SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
[x]SMB Direct

o Change to:
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal <=== I'm not sure what this is???
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS Client
[x]SMB 1.0/CIFS Server
[x]SMB Direct
o Reboot

Here's what one machine had as the defaults (and what I changed it to):
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2299279smb_win10_default01.jpg>

Here's the similar (slightly different) default on the other Win10 machine:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3580897smb_win10_default02.png>

Here is what AndSMB looks like once you have SMBv1 running on Win10:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9491157smb_win10_default04.jpg>

Here is SyncMe WiFi working once you have SMBv1 running on Win10:
<http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4819399smb_win10_default05.jpg>

In summary, thanks to Paul & Dan Purgert & Poutnik, and particularly
to Frank Slootweg, we can now get an SMBv1 *client* to talk to Windows 10.

This is useful for a variety of purpose, e.g., for passing CalDAV exports
back and forth between Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and Android,
so as to manage a calendar on your home LAN sans need for putting your
calendar on the Internet:
o Can we come up with a free, ad free, cloud-free calendaring system that works with Windows and Linux and mobile devices?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/ydQ9sG-8Y08>

Or, for passing a KeePass passwd.kdbx encrypted password file db
across your personal LAN to all your Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, and
Android devices, again, sans need for putting passwds on the Internet:
o Have You Been Pwned? Do you have a working cross-platform PASSWD database for Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS, & Android on your home LAN?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/iIjcGCYnm-E>

CAVEAT: This only works for SMB *clients* on Android.

The Android SMB *server* still has the deadly catch22 of:
o Windows SMB clients are hard coded to TCP port 445 traffic
o Unrooted Android SMB severs are not allowed to use ports 1-1024

Try Not To Laugh

Nov 30, 2022, 3:31:15 AM11/30/22
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 9:26:27 PM UTC+5, Arlen Holder wrote:
> [...]
> the authors of the tutorial found that worked at the time that tutorial was
> written (which was December 16, 2013), but that particular SMB server
> clearly does not work with Nougat, and, that server clearly hasn't been
> updated in a long time.
>
> For SMB to work, we need to find a solution that will allow us to
> a. On Android, run a non-root Samba/SMB server to listen on port 7777
> b. On Windows, run port-forwarding software to listen on port 445
> c On Windows, forward the SMB connections to port 7777
>
> So here's my plan, for SMB, to solve this age-old problem for everyone:
> 1. I'll keep seeking a non-root SMB server for Android, and,
> 2. Then, I'll run the netsh command on Windows to forward ports.
>
> The port forwarding for Windows is "on hold" until I can find an
> SMB server that works on Android non-root with ports above 1024.

Try Not To Laugh

Nov 30, 2022, 3:31:56 AM11/30/22

You can also get other details from: https://apkpureworld.com/