Google may regularly check installed apps for potentially harmful behavior

harry newton

Oct 19, 2017, 4:42:42 AM10/19/17
Do you get this message when you install apps outside of Google Play?
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/google.jpg>
"Google may regularly check installed apps for
potentially harmful behavior.
Learn more in Google Settings > Verify apps
[Decline] [Accept]

I don't even have any "Google Settings" sections in the Android settings.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/no_google.jpg>

Do you see a similar message when you install from a third-party archive?

Andy Burns

Oct 19, 2017, 4:59:04 AM10/19/17
harry newton wrote:

> I don't even have any "Google Settings" sections in the Android settings.

It isn't "Google" within "Settings", it's the "Google Settings" app

<https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SCARC6IaupU/WSpt4pU1gNI/AAAAAAAAE-0/Bv--zMKyzHguoHOFdeB9pl2VANsii4rPgCLcB/s1600/remove%2Bgmail%2Bconnected%2Bapps%2Bfrom%2Bgoogle%2Baccount%2Bandroid%2B%25283%2529.jpg>

Piet

Oct 19, 2017, 6:30:48 AM10/19/17
harry newton wrote:
> Do you get this message when you install apps outside of Google Play?
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/google.jpg>
> "Google may regularly check installed apps for
> potentially harmful behavior.
> Learn more in Google Settings > Verify apps
> [Decline] [Accept]
>
> I don't even have any "Google Settings" sections in the Android settings.
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/no_google.jpg>

Google Play > Menu > Play Protect

-p

harry newton

Oct 19, 2017, 7:25:59 AM10/19/17
He who is Andy Burns said on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 09:59:02 +0100:

>> I don't even have any "Google Settings" sections in the Android settings.
>
> It isn't "Google" within "Settings", it's the "Google Settings" app
>
> <https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SCARC6IaupU/WSpt4pU1gNI/AAAAAAAAE-0/Bv--zMKyzHguoHOFdeB9pl2VANsii4rPgCLcB/s1600/remove%2Bgmail%2Bconnected%2Bapps%2Bfrom%2Bgoogle%2Baccount%2Bandroid%2B%25283%2529.jpg>

Thanks for explaining it's in the hidden "Google Settings" app on Android.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/google_services.jpg>

When I go into my "App Drawer" app on Android 4.3, I have the following
"Google" apps installed...
1 Gmail
2 Google
3 Google Now
4 Google Settings
5 Google+

Pressing on "Google Settings", this comes up:
1 Location
Access Location
Accounts & privacy
Search language
Voice
Phone search
Now cards
Autocomplete
About
Home Screen App suggestions = off
Home Screen Allow rotation = off
4 Verify apps

Pressing on "Verify apps", this comes up which is easily changed:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/verifyapps.jpg>

The rest of the location/search/ad settings were all off by default:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/location_search_ads.jpg>

Thanks for being purposefully helpful and for staying on topic, and for
helping to increase the overall tribal knowledge of the group.

harry newton

Oct 19, 2017, 7:35:52 AM10/19/17
He who is Piet said on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 12:30:46 +0200:

>> I don't even have any "Google Settings" sections in the Android settings.
>> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/no_google.jpg>
>
> Google Play > Menu > Play Protect

I don't use or have or own a Google Play account.

However, I do have Google Play app installed in case I ever want to use it
but it comes up with a blank screen asking me to "Add a Google Account"
when I press it.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/google_play.jpg>

When I press the menu hamburger key on that screen, nothing happens.
So there is no "menu" in Google Play because it won't open any other way.

harry newton

Oct 25, 2017, 12:25:10 AM10/25/17
He who is harry newton said on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 08:42:40 +0000 (UTC):
> Do you get this message when you install apps outside of Google Play?
> <http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/google.jpg>

*SOLVED:*
Thanks to the purposefully helpful Android users Andy Burns and Piet, we
solved this problem in only two additional posts!

This exemplifies how a Usenet question-and-answer thread *should* work!

Here's a summary for dejagoogle tribal knowledge archival located at:
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android

*QUESTION:*
*ANSWER:*
It isn't "Google" within "Settings", it's the "Google Settings" app.
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/google_services.jpg>

Pressing on "Verify apps", this comes up which is easily changed:
<http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/19/verifyapps.jpg>

Thanks for understanding the question, knowing the answer, and for being
purposefully helpful. This is how a Usenet Q&A thread *should* work!

--
Android isn't even close to perfect; but your help is always spot on right!