Alpine 2.20 Released

Eduardo Chappa

Jan 16, 2015, 11:04:56 AM1/16/15
Dear Alpine Enthusiasts,

I am proud to announce the release of Alpine 2.20. This is a
continuation of the old Alpine project developed by the University of
Washington until 2009. Alpine 2.20 is based on version 2.11, released in
August 2013, and is released under the Apache License version 2.0.

The official release is available at
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/release/

where you can find the full source code and a precompiled version for
Windows, PC-Alpine 2.20. As usual, please test it by yourself before
putting it into production use. Alpine compiles with the current releases
of OpenSSL and LibreSSL.

This version brings many new features and bug fixes. We have upgraded
the underlying c-client library from UW-IMAP to Panda IMAP. An important
step was taken to improve S/MIME support by clearing several bugs that
existed in the verification of signed and/or encrypted messages and adding
many new features, including a new key and certificates management screen.

Mac OS X users will enjoy an easier build process than in previous
releases, as the configure script has been improved to detect the location
of the ssl library and certificates. For unix users that need password
file support and have configured S/MIME support, their password file will
be encrypted using their certificate and private keys. A copy of the key
and certificate pair needed to encrypt and decrypt your password file is
kept in a separate directory to avoid accidental substitution which might
make the password file undecryptable.

There are many more additions and bug fixes for this release. The list
is long enough that it would be inappropriate to add it to this notice,
but it can be found in its entirety at

http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/release/

More importantly, I would like to thank to the many people that have
provided feedback, advice and tested patiently early code for these
releases. Their contribution has made this release much better I could
have envisioned. In particular, I would like to thank Dr. Ulf-Dietrich
Braumann, who has provided many contributions to this project, including
providing the Windows(R) binaries of this release.

I would also like to invite everyone who is not part of the Alpine
community to join it and help make this great program even better.

Thank you.

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

Başar Alabay

Jan 16, 2015, 11:21:04 AM1/16/15
Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> Dear Alpine Enthusiasts,
>
> I am proud to announce the release of Alpine 2.20. This is a
> continuation of the old Alpine project developed by the University of
> Washington until 2009. Alpine 2.20 is based on version 2.11, released in
> August 2013, and is released under the Apache License version 2.0.
>
> The official release is available at
> http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/release/

Thank you, Eduardo.

B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.de/
ケディエ・ばく・ハヤテ・あんら

mechanic

Jan 16, 2015, 4:14:45 PM1/16/15
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:21:03 +0000 (UTC), Başar Alabay wrote:

> Thank you, Eduardo.
>
> B. Alabay

+1!

Jean-Pierre Coulon

Jan 17, 2015, 7:14:57 AM1/17/15
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> I would also like to invite everyone who is not part of the Alpine
> community to join it and help make this great program even better.

Am I "part of the Alpine community" if I'm simply an Alpine user? or is
there a subscription process I have to subscribe in? :-)

Jean-Pierre Coulon

Ulf-Dietrich Braumann

Jan 17, 2015, 5:04:20 PM1/17/15
AFAIK, only those you have personally visited the alps before qualify for
the fully patched version! UD

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 17, 2015, 6:57:23 PM1/17/15
Eduardo Chappa <cha...@washington.edu> wrote:

> I am proud to announce the release of Alpine 2.20. . . .

Hey, that's great. Thank you for continuing to develop it.

Dennis Davis

Jan 18, 2015, 4:36:04 AM1/18/15
In article <alpine.CYG.2.20.1...@zbpxnh.vmov.hav-yrvcmvt.qr>,
Ulf-Dietrich Braumann <brau...@uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
>AFAIK, only those you have personally visited the alps before
>qualify for the fully patched version! UD

Yippee! Then that's me included in this elite and exclusive
company!

Uh-oh, but my visit was in the last millenium. Long before alpine
was even a gleam of an idea in anyone's mind. And I was touring on
a bicycle, climbing up over passes such as the Julier Pass[1]. Even
got a photo as evidence.

Do I still qualify?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julier_Pass

>On Sat, 17 Jan 2015, Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:
>
>> Am I "part of the Alpine community" if I'm simply an Alpine user?
>> or is there a subscription process I have to subscribe in? :-)

If you aren't already a member, it's worth subscribing to the alpine
mailing list:

The mailing list tends to be more active than the alpine Newsgroup.

Alternatively you can peruse the mailing list as a Newsgroup via
gmane:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.mail.alpine.info
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

Holger Marzen

Jan 18, 2015, 1:50:58 PM1/18/15
* On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:04:54 -0700, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> Dear Alpine Enthusiasts,
>
> I am proud to announce the release of Alpine 2.20. This is a
> continuation of the old Alpine project developed by the University of
> Washington until 2009. Alpine 2.20 is based on version 2.11, released in
> August 2013, and is released under the Apache License version 2.0.
>
> The official release is available at
> http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/release/

Great! Compiles out of the box even on my oldish Xubuntu 12.04 with
gcc4.8 installed.

But there is still the same old behaviour: If ~/.pinerc is a symlink
then the greeting message never vanishes, probably because alpine cant't
write the file.

Eduardo Chappa

Jan 18, 2015, 2:21:35 PM1/18/15
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015, Holger Marzen wrote:

> But there is still the same old behaviour: If ~/.pinerc is a symlink
> then the greeting message never vanishes, probably because alpine cant't
> write the file.

Alpine records in the .pinerc file the last version it used, so if the
.pinerc file is not writable, that would explain the behavior you are
experiencing. In any case, the relevant setting in the .pinerc file is

last-version-used=6.20

for this version.

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

RS Wood

Jan 18, 2015, 3:06:15 PM1/18/15
On 2015-01-16, Eduardo Chappa <cha...@washington.edu> wrote:
> Dear Alpine Enthusiasts,
> I would also like to invite everyone who is not part of the Alpine
> community to join it and help make this great program even better.
>
> Thank you.

Well done, Alberto. Congrats. Alpine is still a fun and funky and
useful and necessary piece of software. Glad to have it actively
maintained.

Başar Alabay

Jan 18, 2015, 4:53:57 PM1/18/15
RS Wood wrote:

> Well done, Alberto. Congrats. Alpine is still a fun and funky and
> useful and necessary piece of software. Glad to have it actively
> maintained.

Yes. Though only sporadically used, for me it’s a real time machine
beaming me back twenty years … good old data center terminals … :-)

Holger Marzen

Jan 19, 2015, 12:03:47 AM1/19/15
Yep. But the file is writable, e.g. when opening the symlink with a text
editor. Alpine doesn't want to write it if it's a symlink.

Eduardo Chappa

Jan 19, 2015, 1:07:50 AM1/19/15
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Holger Marzen wrote:

> Yep. But the file is writable, e.g. when opening the symlink with a text
> editor. Alpine doesn't want to write it if it's a symlink.

Could you test to see if it works when the link is to a full path, so
something like

ln -s /full/path/to/file .pinerc

instead of

ln -s some_file .pinerc

Thanks!

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

Rob

Jan 19, 2015, 1:25:42 PM1/19/15
Your bandwidth allowance has been exceed. You may want to upload the files
on google drive?

n Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:04:54 -0700, Eduardo Chappa <cha...@washington.edu>

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 19, 2015, 3:19:39 PM1/19/15
Rob <m...@e44433privacy.net> wrote:

>Your bandwidth allowance has been exceed. You may want to upload the files
>on google drive?

Oy vey. I tried to use Google Drive as a quick-and-dirty means of file
transfer between an office computer and a home computer, but it didn't work.
It changed my files slightly and I don't know why.

Allodoxaphobia

Jan 19, 2015, 4:24:42 PM1/19/15
It's to install the "hook" for the NSA. :-)

Holger Marzen

Jan 23, 2015, 4:06:49 AM1/23/15
* On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 23:07:46 -0700, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Holger Marzen wrote:
>
>> Yep. But the file is writable, e.g. when opening the symlink with a text
>> editor. Alpine doesn't want to write it if it's a symlink.
>
> Could you test to see if it works when the link is to a full path, so
> something like
>
> ln -s /full/path/to/file .pinerc
>
> instead of
>
> ln -s some_file .pinerc

Hi Eduardo,

I made some tests:

- full path to another filesystem: fail
- relative path to another filesystem: fail
- full path to the same filesystem: works
- relative path to the same filesystem: fail

Regards
Holger

Michael Black

Jan 23, 2015, 2:46:46 PM1/23/15
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015, Jean-Pierre Coulon wrote:

That's a good point. If we "mere users" (since 1996, well at least Pine
going back that far) weren't happily using it, there'd be no reason for
ongoing development. On the other hand, it's still a good enough program
that maybe we can lure some new users in.

Michael

Eduardo Chappa

Jan 23, 2015, 9:56:49 PM1/23/15
I thought it was obvious that everyone who already uses Alpine was part of
the "Alpine Community," I guess I was not clear enough. Everyone is
welcome to join.

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

Eduardo Chappa

Jan 24, 2015, 1:34:56 AM1/24/15
On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Holger Marzen wrote:

> I made some tests:
>
> - full path to another filesystem: fail
> - relative path to another filesystem: fail
> - full path to the same filesystem: works
> - relative path to the same filesystem: fail

What is the error that you get in each case?

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

Holger Marzen

Jan 24, 2015, 4:48:55 AM1/24/15
* On Fri, 23 Jan 2015 23:34:53 -0700, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Holger Marzen wrote:
>
>> I made some tests:
>>
>> - full path to another filesystem: fail
>> - relative path to another filesystem: fail
>> - full path to the same filesystem: works
>> - relative path to the same filesystem: fail
>
> What is the error that you get in each case?

hm@regen:~$ ls -l .pinerc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hm hm 25 Jan 23 10:06 .pinerc -> daten/Holger/conf/.pinerc

I can edit the file with "vi .pinerc", so the permissions are ok.
I changed "last-version-used" to "6.10" to enforce displaying the
welcome text.

The important lines from .pine-debug1 are:

|---- write_pinerc(Main) ----
|Error writing /home/hm/.pinerc : Permission denied

Alpine thinks it has no permissions.

Michael Black

Jan 24, 2015, 2:51:28 PM1/24/15
No, it was obvious, I was just joking around.

I can't see any reason to switch away from Pine and now Alpine, so I do
appreciate the work you do on it.

Michael

branner...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2015, 11:23:19 PM8/9/15
I've just installed Alpine 2.20 in the past week, after years using Alpine 2.02, and I'm very pleased with the improvements — and also with the level of detail on the patches.freeiz.com site, as well as with Eduardo's help.

加油!

ef

Mar 20, 2017, 10:48:25 AM3/20/17
i used homebrew to install alpine on my mac. i have configured 6 email imap accounts and they're working fine. i plan to reinstall macos. is there a way to backup(and restore) these accounts?

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 20, 2017, 10:58:27 PM3/20/17
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017, ef wrote:

> i used homebrew to install alpine on my mac. i have configured 6 email
> imap accounts and they're working fine. i plan to reinstall macos. is
> there a way to backup(and restore) these accounts?

You need to backup your ~/.pinerc file and copy it back to your home
directory.

If you have local folders, back up those folders, they are files. Just
restore them to the same location you copied from in your new
installation.

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/ (Web)